Turf Show Times trolls Jeff Fisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
However, he specifically chose to use a metric that a) he had to know would be held as a standard and b) for all his years as a player and coach, had to know media and fans would focus on such a staunch, specific stance.
Yeah, but ... so?

it's like Arians telling the world the Cardinals are going to the Super Bowl every year and never attaining that. Sure his teams have been better, but it's still setting a goal every year that they've never attained. If Fisher wants to tell the world that they'll be better than 7-9, then that should be considered a good thing. Not something to be scrutinized. And honestly, he could give a shit if the media or fans are focusing on it and using it against him. He's not in this for them, and he didn't make that proclamation for them.

But I understand where you're coming from. I just don't see it as that big a deal. And it could be worse. He could've pulled a Theismann.

"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
If you remember, he said that in response to a guy who broke team rules and brought a chick into the dorms and let her stay overnight.

Um, I don't think she stayed over night. In fact, I believe it was 1/2 hr prior to bed check. This doesn't change anything, but I just wanted to save the ladies honor. :whistle:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Um, I don't think she stayed over night. In fact, I believe it was 1/2 hr prior to bed check. This doesn't change anything, but I just wanted to save the ladies honor. :whistle:
Is that right? I guess I remember it differently.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Is that right? I guess I remember it differently.

Yeah, I think he said that he didn't expect her to drop by (cough, cough) and that she wasn't staying....obviously, Fisher wasn't buying it, based upon the fact that she was there at all...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I disagree. It's a statement made to try to change the culture and mindset of his players more than anything. I thought it was a refreshing, ballsy statement. Unfortunately it found its way onto a reality tv show and now all of the armchair turd burgers think its cute.

I realize Fisher is a polarizing figure (for good reason) but i think he deserves a little more respect from this fanbase.

That's some 11 and 5 stuff right there.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
I disagree. It's a statement made to try to change the culture and mindset of his players more than anything. I thought it was a refreshing, ballsy statement. Unfortunately it found its way onto a reality tv show and now all of the armchair turd burgers think its cute.

I realize Fisher is a polarizing figure (for good reason) but i think he deserves a little more respect from this fanbase.
You have to earn respect.Fisher has done absolutely NOTHING to earn that.
The only thing he has earned is the reputation as one of the worst coaches in football.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
The only thing he has earned is the reputation as one of the worst coaches in football.

The thing that gets me with Fisher is that he's like that guy or girl at work that rub elbows with all the right people, says all the right things when the bosses are around and SOMEHOW manages to avoid being fired despite their inability to do the job. Everyone else is on thin ice, but somehow this guy stands the test of time and continues to remain employed despite his shortcomings and poor peformance.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Fisher set the bar for his current team, and for himself, during an August meeting that was captured by HBO's "Hard Knocks" cameras, when he told his players: “I am not f---ing going 7-9, or 8-8, or 9-7, OK? Or 10-6, for that matter. This team is too talented. I am not going to settle for that, OK? I know what I am doing."

- taken from an ESPN sports blog

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan

yea this reminds me how far is fisher from being the all time losingest coach

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
jeff-fisher.jpg

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think you are mistaking the most losses for one of the worst coaches. Fans are reactive. I think most actually inside the NFL would strongly disagree. Is he the right man for the job? That's definitely debatable as this is a results business.

I think the question is more - or should be more - who is out there that would do a better job and why. People have brought up names like Norv Turner and John Fox. Are those really upgrades? I would argue that they are far worse HEAD coaches. Was grabbing a shining star out of college like Nick Saban or Chip Kelly a great move? Doesn't seem so. Is Jack Del Rio suddenly a genius or did he walk into a pretty good situation that others failed to capitalize on? Do we think Rex Ryan is what his record says he is? Maybe so.

I'm not saying I know the answer but the idea that Fisher is one of the worst coaches out there is IMO way off base.

tavian

I think you are mistaking the most losses for one of the worst coaches. Fans are reactive. I think most actually inside the NFL would strongly disagree. Is he the right man for the job? That's definitely debatable as this is a results business.

I think the question is more - or should be more - who is out there that would do a better job and why. People have brought up names like Norv Turner and John Fox. Are those really upgrades? I would argue that they are far worse HEAD coaches. Was grabbing a shining star out of college like Nick Saban or Chip Kelly a great move? Doesn't seem so. Is Jack Del Rio suddenly a genius or did he walk into a pretty good situation that others failed to capitalize on? Do we think Rex Ryan is what his record says he is? Maybe so.

I'm not saying I know the answer but the idea that Fisher is one of the worst coaches out there is IMO way off base.

Calling him one of the worst Coaches in the league was maybe a slight hyperbole of Frustration.
However I stand by my statement that he has done nothing to earn respect.

Some would say that he has upgraded the level of talent on the Rams.I would agree.
one definition of a good coach is someone who is capable of getting the most out of the
talent at hand.Our talent level has increased tremendously yet our record doesn't reflect it.

Another trait of a good head coach is one with a feasible plan,a team mission statement or identity.
Fishers plan is to play good defense and run a "ball control offense." Nothing wrong with that.
Low risk football requires low mistake play and consistency.Low penalties low turnover ratio.
A undisciplined football team is a team that is not consistently coached.There may be other
aspects of a teams under performing ways that can be excused away.This is not one of them.
I'm not going to go on about the inability or refusal to adapt,the refusal to accept responsibility
for the teams shortcomings,(the finger is always pointing outward).

All that being said,I am going to put a lock on my fingers when it comes to discussing Fisher.
I am frustrated with this team more so than any other time I can remember.I do not want to come off
as "that guy",Because I know a lot of you guys are "half full" guys.Quite frankly I am a little
jealous of your patience . I refuse to piss on your sunshine just because it's cloudy my way.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Some would say that he has upgraded the level of talent on the Rams.I would agree.
one definition of a good coach is someone who is capable of getting the most out of the
talent at hand.Our talent level has increased tremendously yet our record doesn't reflect it.

Another trait of a good head coach is one with a feasible plan,a team mission statement or identity.
Fishers plan is to play good defense and run a "ball control offense." Nothing wrong with that.
Low risk football requires low mistake play and consistency.Low penalties low turnover ratio.
A undisciplined football team is a team that is not consistently coached.There may be other
aspects of a teams under performing ways that can be excused away.This is not one of them.
I'm not going to go on about the inability or refusal to adapt,the refusal to accept responsibility
for the teams shortcomings,(the finger is always pointing outward).
And this ^^^^ I really can't disagree with. I feel that the product has improved under Fisher. But I also feel it's not good enough and likely will cost him his job. It's just that I don't think that makes him the worst or that we couldn't DO worse. It seems obvious that unless the team demonstrates another real improvement, it's time to move on. I just hope it's not a move to some 3-13 bullshit.

Cheers and GO RAMS!!!

tavian

And this ^^^^ I really can't disagree with. I feel that the product has improved under Fisher. But I also feel it's not good enough and likely will cost him his job. It's just that I don't think that makes him the worst or that we couldn't DO worse. It seems obvious that unless the team demonstrates another real improvement, it's time to move on. I just hope it's not a move to some 3-13 bullcrap.

Cheers and GO RAMS!!!
Just a side note.I would take Fox over Fisher.Not that Fox would be the answer,
but if forced to choose between the two Fox would be a big improvement.JMHO