Tuesday Rams Practice Report: Ogletree's Big Numbers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Practice Report: Ogletree's Big Numbers

By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-Ogletrees-Big-Numbers/f9740437-8a12-47df-9b7d-8c24a168e6ef

Linebacker Alec Ogletree was all over the field against Washington when he tallied 18 tackles. And it was more of the same against the Steelers on Sunday, as he put up another 15 -- this time adding 2.0 sacks.

“I feel a lot more comfortable in the defense,” Ogletree said on Tuesday. “It shows with me being able to play fast, and just go side to side and make plays.”

Ogletree has previously spoken about how he took a lot of time over the offseason to improve his grasp on the mental side of the game. So far, it seems like that’s paying off.

“It's definitely slowing down for me,” Ogletree said. “Once you see certain schemes over and over, you get used to them and you know what's about to happen.”

“I try to diagnose every play,” Ogletree added. “I try to see if I can get a tip on each play. If they give us a certain formation and I know what they're going to do, then I'll jump it.”

While Ogletree racked up 1.5 sacks in his rookie year, he didn’t have one in his sophomore season. Now he’s already eclipsed that total, which is something he wanted to do. The linebacker said he’s been working on finishing his rushes when he gets to the quarterback.

“That was the big thing for me and it’s paid off,” Ogletree said. “The scheme we're in is very aggressive and you're definitely going to have your opportunities to get to the QB, but you have to finish the rush.”

Much of that aggressiveness comes from coordinator Gregg Williams, who has built a reputation on bringing pressure from different places within the defense. And given how Ogletree has shown he can bring some heat with a pass rush, the linebacker said he expects to get some more opportunities.

“He's all about production,” Ogletree said of Williams. “If you're able to get back there he will keep calling it.”

And so as the Rams get to work this week against a tough Arizona squad, one positive the defense can build upon is that is has moved into the Top 10 in yards allowed. While it’s not all the team is about, as wins are the ultimate goal, it is one signal of improvement from week to week. 

“It's just putting us once step closer to our goal of being a Top 5 defense,” Ogletree said. “Each week we have to go out there and do what we need to do to make that happen.”

WAIVING PEAD, ADDING McGEE AND TOON

In a few corresponding roster moves, the Rams waived running back Isaiah Pead, signed cornerback Brandon McGee to the active roster from the practice squad, and signed wide receiver Nick Toon to the practice squad on Tuesday.

Head coach Jeff Fisher called moving on from Pead a difficult decision, but one that made sense given Todd Gurley’s emergence at running back.

“Isaiah did a phenomenal job coming back off the injury,” Fisher said. “But with Todd now coming up and the potential for some other moves during the week, we just felt it was the best decision for us.”

Fisher said there is the potential of Pead coming back if he were available and the Rams need him.

While McGee had a foot injury he re-aggravated during OTAs, Fisher said the cornerback has shown he’s over that now. The head coach added McGee will be contributing most on special teams.

“He’s up and we’re ready to go,” Fisher said. “He can do the gunner thing. He can be available for us on defense and then do some things in two of the three phases on special teams.”

As for Toon, the wide receiver was one of in a group of players at the position who worked out for the Rams, and the head coach came away impressed with the Wisconsin product. Fisher revealed St. Louis had some interest in the wideout when he entered the league in 2012.

“We interviewed Nick at the combine and watched Nick play,” Fisher said. “We worked out a group of receivers last week and just felt Nick was ideal for us to get him on the practice squad and get him in position to learn our offense. He did a great job today with the scout team. Smart player. Obviously, great heritage.”

Toon -- the son of longtime Jets wide receiver Al Toon -- was originally drafted in the fourth round by the Saints in 2012. Though injuries have somewhat hampered his career, the wideout has recorded 21 receptions for 283 yards and a touchdown. He was waived by New Orleans earlier this month.

Last edited:

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jeff Fisher: We Need To Learn to Win Games on Defense

Head coach Jeff Fisher discusses Tuesday’s transactions and previews Sunday’s contest against the Cardinals.

Watch Fisher's Presser

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I always thought it was funny that Alec didn't get more sacks. He's extremely fast and is close to size and athletic ability of Von Miller. Gregg should send him to rush the passer more.

RamBill

Legend
Rodger Saffold: It’s Like Trial And Error Right Now

Offensive lineman Rodger Saffold talks about his team’s offense and going up against Arizona’s defense.

Watch Saffold Presser

RamBill

Legend
More focused Alec Ogletree piling up numbers for Rams defense
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...c-ogletree-piling-up-numbers-for-rams-defense

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The numbers next to St. Louis Rams linebacker Alec Ogletree's name at the end of the 2014 season were mostly in line with what he'd done as a rookie the previous year.

For the second consecutive year, Ogletree had wrested the team's tackles lead from middle linebacker James Laurinaitis and made his share of contributions in coverage with two interceptions and 11 pass breakups. He even chipped in four forced fumbles, down from the six of his rookie season but still an impressive total.

But when Ogletree scanned the numbers, he saw one that made him decidedly unhappy. Under the column for sacks, he saw a big round number but not the kind he'd prefer: It was a goose egg.

That sack total, or lack thereof, was enough to help Ogletree refocus in the offseason and shed about 10 pounds in an effort to be quicker to the quarterback.

“Alec came back into camp this year in phenomenal shape,” Laurinaitis said. “The year before, year 2, he had a lot of cheeseburgers in the offseason. He came in as a rookie as a thin guy, ran around really well. A lot of times after that rookie year sometimes, you have got a lot of time and there’s a lot of food you can eat. And my man was a little heavy and really determined to come back at what he played at his rookie year."

Just three games into this season, Ogletree is playing like one of the league's best young defenders. According to the coaching staff's review of game film, he has been credited with 44 tackles, including an 18-stop outburst in Week 2 that is the most by a Rams defender since London Fletcher's 21 in Week 2 of the 2001 season.

Against Pittsburgh last week, Ogletree had two sacks, which eclipsed the 1.5 he had for his entire first two seasons in the league combined.

"That was a big thing for me; the scheme that we’re in is very aggressive," Ogletree said. "You’re going to have your opportunities to get to the quarterback but you have to finish your rush."

As the weakside linebacker in the Rams' base 4-3, Ogletree's primary job isn't to rush the passer. But for any player in a Gregg Williams defense, there's always a good chance you will be called on to attack quarterbacks at some point. The level of success you have doing it is directly proportional to the frequency with which those chances are provided.

"He’s about production so he’s seen it and he wants me to get back there and if you’re able to get back there, you know he’s going to keep calling it," Ogletree said.

With that in mind, Ogletree set about eliminating things from his diet and reported to camp in better shape but also with a better understanding of offensive formations and how play designs work. In other words, Ogletree wanted to play faster while the game around him slowed down.

"I feel a lot more comfortable in the defense," Ogletree said. "I think it shows with me being able to play fast and go side to side and make plays.

"It’s definitely slowing down for me. After you see certain schemes and stuff over and over, you just kind of get used to it and you know what’s about to happen. This offseason I wanted to take more of a mental approach to the game and just try to learn what the offense is trying to do to us."

On that side of things, Ogletree has continued to attach himself to Laurinaitis, who is known for his voracious film study. Ogletree said there wasn't any one "aha" moment, but he feels more comfortable diagnosing things before they happen and then simply reacting. To be sure, there are still hiccups in his game, namely when it comes to coverage, but those haven't been as glaring early in the season as they were in his first two years.

With the mental side improving and the physical side squared away, the Rams believe there's no limit to where the 24-year old Ogletree's career could go from here.

"He’s a smart, instinctual player,” Laurinaitis said. “The sky is the limit for him on how good he wants to be so he keeps getting smarter and smarter and when you combine your instincts with how well he knows the defense, I think you’re really starting to see him blossom.”