Tuesday Rams' depth chart musings

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Nick Wagoner
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/642/tuesday-rams-depth-chart-musings-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/p ... -musings-2</a>

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- As always, the following is a break down of the Rams' unofficial depth chart. The names in certain places are subject to being different come game time. Use the information as a baseline for what to expect when the Rams play the Falcons but it is far from a guarantee.

This week's unofficial Rams depth chart doesn't look too different from last week's. With that in mind, we won't go through the trouble of breaking down every position and how they might look this week. Instead, let's just focus on a couple of quick hits.

All of the 22 starters listed are exactly the same as last week. Rodney McLeod is again listed at free safety and Chris Williams at left guard. It's how the Rams had them last week and it's how things played out in the game.

Isaiah Pead has been added to the mix at running back and back in his familiar spot as the second back on the depth chart. When asked whether Pead would play this week on Monday, Rams coach Jeff Fisher said "we'll see." The Rams didn't get much production in the run game and Zac Stacy got the only carry among backs not named Daryl Richardson. Fisher said he wants to see more of Stacy. Could that mean less Richardson to make room for some carries for Pead and Stacy? One other thing we'll monitor this week is Richardson's health. Although he finished the game against Arizona, he did spend some time being looked at by Rams' medical personnel on the sideline. There are a lot of moving parts to the team's running back situation right now.

Speaking of which, the Rams list Stacy third and Benny Cunningham and Chase Reynolds in a sort of "tie" for fourth now that Pead is back in the second spot.

Cunningham was listed as the starting kick returner last week and he remains in the top spot this week after handling those duties against the Cardinals. Tavon Austin and Chris Givens remain behind Cunningham on that list. Again, because it's unofficial, that doesn't mean Pead won't get work as a kick returner this week but that's how it looks for whatever it's worth.

Obviously, linebacker Jonathan Stewart's name has been subtracted from the linebacker group upon his released Tuesday. Ray-Ray Armstrong and Daren Bates are the only remaining linebackers behind the starters. There is no backup listed for starting middle linebacker James Laurinaitis.

Nothing else has changed from last week. One more friendly reminder that the depth chart musings are based on an unofficial depth chart the Rams put out weekly. Use whatever amount of salt you deem appropriate when reading.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I didn't really expect anything else to change, other than, Pead being added. Anyone else expect a change after the last game?

fastcat

Pro Bowler
I expect something to happen at the rb position becuase we have 5 on the roster as of now I think (isnt Reynolds on the 53? ). I can see someone being cut or traded soon, and another lb added

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
fastcat said:
I expect something to happen at the rb position becuase we have 5 on the roster as of now I think (isnt Reynolds on the 53? ). I can see someone being cut or traded soon, and another lb added

That's what I'm thinking unless Reynolds really kills it on ST.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
RamFan503 said:
fastcat said:

Reynolds is listed as a RB only for the purposes of putting him on the roster somewhere. In much the same way that Dominique Curry was listed as a WR a few years ago. He made this team based on his Special Team contributions, and once they cut Josh Hull, that role was even more solidified.

They released Woodard (CB) from the Practice Squad, for what I would imagine was to create a spot for J. Stewart. Seeing the stats regarding the number of plays Witherspoon got (in the Base 4-3) vs. what Trumaine Johnson got in the Nickel, it only further illustrates how that 3rd LB position of lesser importance.

Per Jim Thomas:
"But with so many teams using three_ and four-wide receiver sets, there isn’t as much need for linebackers on defense. In the Arizona game, for example, Rams outside linebacker Will Witherspoon was in for only 19 plays _ or 27 percent of the team’s 71 plays on defense.

Witherspoon comes out in the nickel package, when the opposing team goes to three wideouts, and is replaced by third corner Trumaine Johnson. Johnson was in for 53 plays against the Big Red, or 75 percent of the Rams’ defensive snaps."

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
CoachO said:
RamFan503 said:
fastcat said:

Reynolds is listed as a RB only for the purposes of putting him on the roster somewhere. In much the same way that Dominique Curry was listed as a WR a few years ago. He made this team based on his Special Team contributions, and once they cut Josh Hull, that role was even more solidified.

They released Woodard (CB) from the Practice Squad, for what I would imagine was to create a spot for J. Stewart. Seeing the stats regarding the number of plays Witherspoon got (in the Base 4-3) vs. what Trumaine Johnson got in the Nickel, it only further illustrates how that 3rd LB position of lesser importance.

Per Jim Thomas:
"But with so many teams using three_ and four-wide receiver sets, there isn’t as much need for linebackers on defense. In the Arizona game, for example, Rams outside linebacker Will Witherspoon was in for only 19 plays _ or 27 percent of the team’s 71 plays on defense.

Witherspoon comes out in the nickel package, when the opposing team goes to three wideouts, and is replaced by third corner Trumaine Johnson. Johnson was in for 53 plays against the Big Red, or 75 percent of the Rams’ defensive snaps."

So you think Reynolds will stick? Or do you think he is a victim of roster moves down the road. I get what you are saying about the LB position. I commented on it before based on how Fish uses them (or doesn't use the third for much of the game). I think we could definitely do worse than having Spoon in there for those 30 - 40% of plays.

Just curious Coach. You were there in the off season. Is Dunbar enough of an upgrade that you think we will bring him back (if he wants to) after his suspension? I got the feeling you were higher on Bates than Ray Ray but not sure how either stack up against JoLon.

In the same vein, is Reynolds more valuable than RR or Bates if they go back to Dunbar? Or do you see them cutting or demoting someone else?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
RamFan503 said:
CoachO said:
RamFan503 said:
fastcat said:

Per Jim Thomas:

So you think Reynolds will stick? Or do you think he is a victim of roster moves down the road. I get what you are saying about the LB position. I commented on it before based on how Fish uses them (or doesn't use the third for much of the game). I think we could definitely do worse than having Spoon in there for those 30 - 40% of plays.

Just curious Coach. You were there in the off season. Is Dunbar enough of an upgrade that you think we will bring him back (if he wants to) after his suspension? I got the feeling you were higher on Bates than Ray Ray but not sure how either stack up against JoLon.

In the same vein, is Reynolds more valuable than RR or Bates if they go back to Dunbar? Or do you see them cutting or demoting someone else?

Neither Armstrong or Bates are "game ready" at OLB IMO. They made this team for their Special Team contributions. So, YES, I absolutely think Dunbar would be a major upgrade if they bring him back. If that indeed happens, what is now a very thin unit, becomes one of strength.

At that point, I don't see them releasing a LB at all. If they were to add Dunbar, it would get them back to 6 LBs which is where they want to be.

You then turn to the other units where they are top heavy. If Darian Stewart is healthy by then, they could move a safety (Giordano or Stewart). They still are carrying 10 Offensive Linemen, so that could be another area they consider.

By Week FIVE, you will undoubtedly incur some sort of injury, so the IR comes into play as well.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So then you think Reynolds is good enough on ST that they look to other units? Or do you think they don't want to lose Reynolds via the practice squad route ala Ganaway from last year? I didn't get to see much of Reynolds so I'm really not sure how or why he has stuck except that I've heard Fish mention him on ST.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
RamFan503 said:
So then you think Reynolds is good enough on ST that they look to other units? Or do you think they don't want to lose Reynolds via the practice squad route ala Ganaway from last year? I didn't get to see much of Reynolds so I'm really not sure how or why he has stuck except that I've heard Fish mention him on ST.

He is on EVERY Special Team, and does quite well, both in coverage, and as a blocker.

In a pinch, he can return kicks as well. (Not saying he is in the works there) but he has done it before.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Obviously, linebacker Jonathan Stewart's name has been subtracted from the linebacker group upon his released Tuesday. Ray-Ray Armstrong and Daren Bates are the only remaining linebackers behind the starters. There is no backup listed for starting middle linebacker James Laurinaitis.

I thought Spoon was JL's back up?

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
albefree69 said:

I think if the worst does happen then we would plug Ogletree in at MLB like he was at Georgia, put Ray Ray in Trees' spot, and Spoon on the other side.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Barrison said:
albefree69 said:

I think if the worst does happen then we would plug Ogletree in at MLB like he was at Georgia, put Ray Ray in Trees' spot, and Spoon on the other side.
Ehhh... I dunno about that. Witherspoon has infinitely more experience at captaining a defense from the MLB spot than Ogletree does.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Barrison said:
albefree69 said:

Spoon has also played MLB. I realize JL was put in as a rook but I am not sure Tree is that player who can QB an NFL defense. I also thought Spoon was the back-up MLB with Hull gone. Bye the same token, I don't know if Spoon can be an every snap LB in the middle at this point.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
RamFan503 sniffing coffee beans from Kenya:
Spoon has also played MLB. Bye the same token, I don't know if Spoon can be an every snap LB in the middle at this point.

He was our MLB for years. The good thing is that he only has to take over for a max of 3 games now if the worst was to happen.