Tuesday Practice Report: Keenum Preparing for Seattle Challenge

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Practice Report 12/22: Keenum Preparing for Seattle Challenge
By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-1222-Keenum-Preparing-for-Seattle-Challenge/58b17249-c56b-494a-bb54-2cae84c984d6

Quarterback Case Keenum has gone through plenty of ups and downs in his first few seasons in the NFL. But he may not have played better in a victory than he did last week against Tampa Bay.

The quarterback was efficient, completing 14 of his 17 passes for 234 yards and two touchdowns. That’s 13.76 yards per attempt, and a quarterback rating of 158.0 -- just three tenths away from perfect.

Rob Boras said Tuesday he thought Keenum played outstanding in the coach’s second game since assuming the duties of offensive coordinator.

“I’m not sure what his numbers were, but the ball was complete. When it wasn’t there, he was smart and didn’t force it,” Boras said. “The whole offensive across the board -- guys stepped up and it’s been that way, really, for the last two weeks.”

The more he plays, the more comfortable Keenum’s looked on the field. It’s a correlation that makes sense given the difficult nature of playing QB in the NFL.

“Game experience, especially at the quarterback position, is priceless in this league. You have to learn from it,” Keenum said. “You have to get better, and you’re going to go through tough times. It’s not a perfect science. Obviously, some guys have it figured out better than others and have had a lot more success. You try to take stuff from them and how they do the game, how they play the game, how they prepare, and you try to fit it to your own game and what works for you.”

“I hope he’s feeling more comfortable,” Boras said. “I don’t think the gameplan should take credit. It was a short week. He just believed what he saw. That’s what he kept telling himself, ‘I’m not going to overthink it. I’m going to see what I see, and I’m going to believe it and let it go.’ He did that.”

It looks like everything is coming together as Keenum has won both starts since getting back into the starting lineup. In his last two games, the Houston product has completed 71.8 percent of his passes for 358 yards with two touchdowns and an interception. That’s good enough for a 106.6 rating and 9.18 yards per attempt.

“I’ve always concentrated on getting better,” Keenum said. “That’s what being a veteran is about, is accumulating experience and experience is priceless. It’s just a matter of keeping battling through the tough times and enjoying the good times.”

Plus, some of Keenum’s decisions don’t directly show up in the stat sheet. Head coach Jeff Fisher has complimented the signal-caller’s ability to make the proper checks in the run game, and Boras mentioned how Keenum taking a sack in certain scenarios is also the right call.

“Case, even those he had to take a sack twice, those were in situations where he didn’t force the ball and [had] something bad happen,” Boras said. “So, sometimes it’s the decision when the ball wasn’t thrown that are the ones you compliment him for the most.”

But this week will present a significant challenge as the Rams head up to Seattle for their second matchup with the Seahawks. Since starting out the year 2-4, the two-time defending NFC champions have won seven of their last eight to bring their record to 9-5. And looking at both squads, plenty has changed when it comes to their on-field makeup -- Keenum being one of them.

“It’s been a really long time, a full season,” Keenum said. “A few different players, but it’s Seattle and they’re still a really good defense. They still line up and run what they run.”

Still, there’s plenty to take not only from the Rams’ 34-31 overtime victory, but also the games the two teams have played in the past few years.

“We know who they are. They know who we are,” Boras said. “It just comes down to us doing what we do better than they do what they do. They haven’t changed a whole lot.”

Seattle’s known for running plenty of Cover 3 with its secondary and excelling at it with leaders like cornerback Richard Sherman, safety Earl Thomas, and safety Kam Chancellor. But the Seahawks can be just as formidable up front with players like Michael Bennett, who has 9.5 sacks and can move all around the defensive line.

“They line up to it different ways and they mix it up,” Keenum said. “They tend to mix it up against us sometimes, too. Divisional opponents you play twice, so it helps sometimes to mix it up. You still have to line up and play. You still have to line up and beat them. They’ve got some great players over there.”

The other challenge will be the crowd noise. CenturyLink Field has been known for a while as one of the loudest stadiums in the league, and often presents communication issues.

“We’re not going to be able to hear very much of anything,” Keenum said. “This will be my first time playing at Seattle. I played at Kansas City though. My first start was at Kansas City when they were going back and forth who was the loudest outdoor stadium. So I have an idea of what it’s like, but I’m sure it’s going to be really loud. It’s something we’re definitely going to have to deal with.”

Though the plays go directly to Keenum’s helmet from quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke on the sideline, Boras said there are plans for if something goes wrong.

“That’s part of the preparation that we’re going through now,” Boras said, “is to try to make sure that we have the contingencies in place, so if he can’t hear, we can still get him a play and we can still hopefully be effective.”

And so as Keenum continues to progress in the offense, Sunday will provide another test for him to show what he can do as a quarterback in this league.

“I’ve said it before, anytime you step on the field I think it’s a statement,” Keenum said. “That’s how we accumulate resumes in this league -- it’s what you put on film. Anytime you do that, especially against a team like Seattle, who’s for the last few years have been playing a lot of really good football, so we’ve got our work cut out for us.”

“This will be a big challenge for him,” Fisher said. “I mean, it’s not easy to go in there and play. But, he’s got the personality that I think it takes to go in there and be successful.”

INJURY REPORT

There was no official injury report released on Tuesday, but Fisher did provide an update on linebacker Alec Ogletree. Last week, the head coach said Ogletree’s practice window would likely begin this week with the idea of the linebacker possibly being active for Week 17 against the 49ers.

While Ogletree did not get on the field for the week’s first practice, Fisher said the linebacker did some work inside.

“He’ll be out over the next couple of days,” Fisher said. “We’ll see how he moves and then we’ll kind of push him as best we can, but not going to put him in a position where if he’s not ready, we’re not going to play him.

“But, I want him to have the opportunity to potentially get a few snaps against San Francisco,” Fisher continued. “We’ll know early in the week next week.”

VISITING BAILEY

A number of Rams went to visit wide receiver Stedman Bailey in Miami during the long weekend, including wide receiver Tavon Austin and safety Rodney McLeod.

“It felt good to see my man,” Austin said. “It's hard to see him like that, but he is definitely positive about the situation.”

“Just to be there and encourage him and lift up his spirits, if they were even down -- it didn't look like they were,” McLeod said. “It looked like he was very positive. We just wanted to take some time out and show him our support, and that we're rooting for him.”

For more on the visit to South Florida, we’ll have a full story on the site on Wednesday.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
1380079072_jVvhHhsSQauy29TUKURH_chalk%20outline.jpg

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
“Game experience, especially at the quarterback position, is priceless in this league. You have to learn from it,” Keenum said. “You have to get better, and you’re going to go through tough times. It’s not a perfect science. Obviously, some guys have it figured out better than others and have had a lot more success. You try to take stuff from them and how they do the game, how they play the game, how they prepare, and you try to fit it to your own game and what works for you.”

Unless your name is Mannion, then you're expected to learn by watching and playing Madden.:confused:
I guess that Keenum or Foles is going to be our QB next year for sure then.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Seattle, like other teams will load up to stop Gurley. Keenum has to make plays. If he does, Gurley will have more room when they have to back off the LOS. Here's your chance Case. Make believers out of us.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams notes: Rookie G Wichmann taking advantage of opportunity
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_7e37e503-f580-5206-ba31-507f30669b52.html

With each game, Rams guard Cody Wichmann gets a little more comfortable.

“The more reps you get, the more situations you’re in, the more natural it feels,” said Wichmann, a rookie slated to make his sixth consecutive start at right guard Sunday when the Rams take on the Seahawks in Seattle. “I’m doing what I can, hustling to make some plays and to hopefully knock some people over.

“I love to run-block, but you have to be solid in all parts of your game. I have to get better at some pass-protection stuff, but I feel like it’s improved and I’m excited about getting even better next year. But this year’s not over, so we just have to keep grinding.”

Since the start of the season, the Rams have had five different starting combinations along the offensive line. The current pairing, with Greg Robinson and rookie Rob Havenstein at tackles, Wichmann and veteran Garrett Reynolds at guard and Tim Barnes at center, will look to make its fourth straight start on Sunday.

“Without a doubt,” offensive coordinator Rob Boras responded when asked if continuity makes a difference. “‘Bou’ (offensive line coach Paul Boudreau) has been doing this for 29 years (and) this might be the most frustrating just because of all the change that’s happened. ... Any time you can have those guys (together), it’s that unspoken (connection), where guys know what’s going to happen before it happens. That’s what you build with reps and with time.”

In Thursday’s win over Tampa Bay, Robinson came up with a key downfield block on a 17-yard pass from Case Keenum to Tavon Austin to open the game’s scoring. In the third quarter, on a 21-yard scoring run from Austin, both players on the right side of the line, rookies Wichmann and Havenstein, threw important blocks.

A sixth-round draft pick from Fresno State, Wichmann missed the majority of training camp due to a nagging calf injury. He rotated between special teams and the inactive list with fellow rookies Andrew Donnal and Darrell Williams through the opening weeks of the season.

“It’s tough not being out there, so when you get your opportunity, you have to be ready to take advantage of it,” the 23-year-old said. “And that’s exactly what I’ve tried to do.’’

Rams coach Jeff Fisher likes the progress he’s seen from the 6-5, 319-pound Wichmann.

“He’s coming on, yeah,” Fisher said. “He’s a strong inside player. He’s smart. He’s been playing some good three-techniques and some good defensive tackles, so he’s hanging in there. He understands angles downfield and he’s getting to the second level. He and Rob (Havenstein) are doing a good job communicating. It’s valuable playing experience for him.”

After Sunday’s game in Seattle, the Rams will remain in California to train in Napa Valley to prepare for the season finale against San Francisco.

“I have some buddies there, but I don’t think I’ve been to Napa,” said Wichmann, who’s from Mariposa, Calif., which is about 2½ hours from Levi’s Stadium, home of the 49ers. “I’ll have a bunch of people at the game. It’ll be fun, being close to home and getting a chance to catch up with some family and friends.’’

But first, there’s the Sunday game in Seattle.

“Great team with a lot of great players,” Wichmann said of the Seahawks. “It’ll definitely be a challenge, but I’m excited to see how we do against them.”

RAM-BLINGS

Linebacker Alec Ogletree is expected to be on the practice field at some point this week, but he did not practice on Tuesday.

Ogletree, the Rams’ leading tackler in 2013 and 2014, suffered a broken leg in the team’s 24-22 win in Arizona on Oct. 4 and was placed on the injured reserve/designated to return list. Fisher has said there’s a possibility that the third-year linebacker could play in the Jan. 3 finale against San Francisco.

Kicker Greg Zuerlein was ill and also did not practice on Tuesday. Guard-tackle Donnal (knee) did some work on the side Tuesday. A fourth-round draft pick from the University of Iowa, Donnal has missed the last four games with an MCL strain.

• Chauncey Mason, the younger brother of Rams’ running back Tre Mason, stopped by Rams Park on Tuesday. Chauncey is a freshman defensive back at Arkansas State University.

• Buffalo promoted wide receiver/kick returner Walter Powell (Hazelwood East) from its practice squad. The Bills also signed wide receiver Greg Salas, a Rams’ fourth-round draft pick in 2011.

• Guard Shelley Smith, who played in 25 games and made eight starts for the Rams in 2012-13, has been signed by the Miami Dolphins. Another ex-Rams guard, John Greco, has been placed on IR by the Cleveland Browns. He was drafted in the third round by the Rams in 2008.

• Former Illinois guard Jon Asamoah, a fifth-year pro, was waived Tuesday after reaching an injury settlement with the Atlanta Falcons. He started 14 games in 2014 but was placed on IR prior to this season with a hip injury.

=============

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Unless your name is Mannion, then you're expected to learn by watching and playing Madden.:confused:
I guess that Keenum or Foles is going to be our QB next year for sure then.

I was thinking about the SAME DAMN THING!!!!! No way for this kid (Mannion) to get ready by just watching ALL SEASON... Dude is smart, give him some reps...At LEAST make him the #2 so he can get reps and possibly go IN a game...Or are we still messing with Foles?:thinking:o_O
With each game, Rams guard Cody Wichmann gets a little more comfortable.

“The more reps you get, the more situations you’re in, the more natural it feels,” said Wichmann, a rookie slated to make his sixth consecutive start at right guard Sunday when the Rams take on the Seahawks in Seattle. “I’m doing what I can, hustling to make some plays and to hopefully knock some people over.

“I love to run-block, but you have to be solid in all parts of your game. I have to get better at some pass-protection stuff, but I feel like it’s improved and I’m excited about getting even better next year. But this year’s not over, so we just have to keep grinding.”
Love this kid Wichmann;)....While I expect him to be a backup next year, this experience will seriously help our line depth...I'd have no problem going Brown & Wichmann as our starting OG's in 2016.....And, knock on wood, I knew from his body-type he wouldn't get injured.......:yess:

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Starting to see it all come together with the line. Next year maybe:
  • LT Robinson
  • LG Brown
  • C 2nd round stud or Rhaney or Barnes
  • RG Wichman
  • RT Havenstein.
Key backups Donnel, Reynolds, new vet, and that supplemental kid.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Battle. Dude's a monster. If his skills match his size eventually, he could be a real steal. He's really raw though.

Yeah. I forgot his name at the moment. They clearly are invested in him. I hope he is given enough reps to at least compete to be a started.

We seem to go into each year crossing our fingers on the OL and heads will roll if it keeps happening. If we have Battle, Havenstein, Robinson and one more guy all capable starters the cream will more likely rise to the top...Rather than curdle, like it has in recent years.

Same Can be said for Guard and Center. (Although that strategy seemingly was used last year at Center, much to all of our disappointment. The 1% milk rose to the top(n)) Have Brown, Wichman, Saffold, Donnel, a draft choice and even Reynolds battle it out with no true designated starter.

At center though, don't mess around. Get a guy with a huge set, a good brain, put the name STARTER on the back of his jersey just to be clear, and make Rhaney clean his tray every day in training camp as punishment for not winning the job last year. :D Send seedy photos of him to Barrett Jones -snapping the ball to our quarterback, and dominating the nose guard in front of him.

I'm thinking a combination of Ken Iman, Rich Saul, Doug Smith, Bern Brostek and Andy McCollum. Is that too much to ask? We'll call him...Bernsaul McSmith! :mrburnsevil:We could make him in a lab somewhere up in the mountains near Fishers place in Montana!! I mean, they have to have that test tube process down pretty good now, right? He doesn't have to eat much. We could just inject him or something. :cheers:

So Bernsaul McSmith then? Guys? Guys?:bueller:

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier

Reynolds has been best lineman on Rams team this year and graded out as a top 20 guard in the league.
doubt he loses starting position to anyone.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Barnes hasn't been an enormous liability or anything, but I'd like to see the Rams draft a center with some oomph to him, who has a lot of starts. Boehm's the dude I'd like to see them add, think he's gonna have a very strong career in the NFL, but either way spend a midround pick on one.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Wichmann's from Mariposa? Thats about 40 minutes from me. I believe there's another pretty good guard from the same town and same college named Logan Mankins. Must be something about small towns in the mountains that breed big guys. :cool:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Starting to see it all come together with the line. Next year maybe:
  • LT Robinson
  • LG Brown
  • C 2nd round stud or Rhaney or Barnes
  • RG Wichman
  • RT Havenstein.
I see this below as probable:
LT- Robinson/(Saffold/Battle/Williams)
LG- Brown/(Saffold/Battle/Williams)
OC- Rhaney/ (Sign UFA Barnes)
RG- Wichmann/Reynolds
RT- Havenstein/Donnal