TST: Was Stedman Bailey the steal of the 2013 NFL Draft?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Douglas M
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/5/6/4305446/nfl-was-stedman-bailey-the-steal-on-the-2013-nfl-draft" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/5/6/4 ... -nfl-draft</a>

PN0Hcp3.jpg

Taken in the third round by the St. Louis Rams - and "under-shadowed" by his smaller former WVU
teammate Tavon Austin - Bailey was passed over by 31 NFL teams. Did the Rams pull off another
draft day coup that's flying below the media's radar?

Stedman Bailey is getting some notice from a few in media now. NFL.com has a few analysts talking about him, and Mike Mayock compares the WVU star wide receiver to Green Bay/Minnesota's Greg Jennings. As Austin, DeAndre Hopkins, Cordarrelle Patterson, Justin Hunter, Robert Woods, Aaron Dobson, Terrance Williams, Keenan Allen, Marquise Goodwin, and Markus Wheaton came off the draft board, Bailey was sitting there at the #92 pick for the St. Louis Rams as the 11th wide receiver taken in the draft.

The 2012 second team All-American had the stats to turn heads. Bailey's 113 catches, 1,627 yards and 25 TDs last year were remarkable, but his size turned off NFL scouts. Which is odd since Tavon Austin is two inches shorter than Bailey's 5'10". In 2006, another "short" receiver was taken, only he went in the second round. His name is Greg Jennings, and he went on to prove solid route running and glue like hands means more than a few inches in height. Here's a NFL Combine comparison of Bailey and Jennings:

aa8a7015387b4c89853780a.png

There's something about Bailey I really like, but I can't really put it into words. I've watched footage of both Bailey and Austin. The symbiotic relationship of these two receivers when they're on the field is remarkable. There's little o doubt Bailey benefited by having Austin on the field. But I think NFL teams discounted how much Bailey meant to Austin's production. The impression was given of Bailey being the straight man to Austin as the headliner. An argument can be made for "system success" for both of these players too, and it's probably why Austin's flashy running style turned more heads than Bailey almost workman-like performance.

But that feeling I have keeps coming back to me when I watch video of these two receivers. It's like I missed something - a great something - in Bailey, that'll translate well into the NFL. In 2006, Greg Jennings' rookie year saw him start along side Donald Driver. The rookie had 45 receptions, 632 receiving yards and 3 TDs to Driver's 92 - 1,295 - 8. The Rams don't have a Donald Driver on their roster, or at least not statistically.

Maybe it's the feeling Bailey represents the key to unlocking where the Rams' offense may be headed? I've mentioned before I think the Rams are going "small" at wide receiver for a reason. The trend in the NFC West to draft huge defensive backs is in its hay day, yet the only team in 2012 to confound these secondary giants was the Rams with Danny Amendola and Chris Givens - neither being taller than 6 feet. Are Rams fans about to see a lighting fast receiver corp buzzing underneath safety coverage to suck in the secondary, then suddenly flash out deep with a variety of weapons? If so, Bailey could be in the most amazing position to succeed. I think his routes will be in the "tweener" zone -15 to 20 yards - and Bradford eats up this zone when he has the time to throw.

Is it just me, or is Stedman Bailey about to be "the guy" who'll shift fan opinions of a woeful Rams receiving corp, to one that controls the field and wins games in 2013?

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Re: TST: Was Stedman Bailey the steal of the 2013 NFL Draft

Great article. Stedman kinda reminds me of Isaac Bruce. Not big ... not real fast, but great hands, great routes, good downfield blocker. He is pretty thick too for his size. Long arms. A true technician.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen

YES

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ramhusker said:
"So she says, 'shut up you're always talking'"

mqdefault.jpg

bluecoconuts

Legend

I think he'll be a better, more reliable Gibson.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

ReddingRam said:
Great article. Stedman kinda reminds me of Isaac Bruce. Not big ... not real fast, but great hands, great routes, good downfield blocker. He is pretty thick too for his size. Long arms. A true technician.
Ok cool. I'm not the only one who see's that. I was going to say so a week ago but i didn't have the nuts to post it. Kudos to you Redding.

Wx9MQ_zpsb427fbb0.gif

A55VA6

Legend

mojorizen7 said:
ReddingRam said:
Ok cool. I'm not the only one who see's that. I was going to say so a week ago but i didn't have the nuts to post it. Kudos to you Redding.

Wx9MQ_zpsb427fbb0.gif
agreed

nighttrain

Legend

ReddingRam said:
I was thinking of the same comparison. Bailey is fluid much like Bruce, and then they hit 2nd gear and gone..
train
ps But i'm still having very high hopes for Quick this season, tall guy with long arms and great hands, strong too

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

nighttrain said:
ReddingRam said:
I was thinking of the same comparison. Bailey is fluid much like Bruce, and then they hit 2nd gear and gone..
train
ps But i'm still having very high hopes for Quick this season, tall guy with long arms and great hands, strong too

I think the additions of Austin, Bailey and Cook will actually help Quick. I was a little worried before the draft that we would be going into the season with Quick as the #1 WR. It was absolutely paramount that we added WRs in the draft, and I think they hit a home run with the WV duo.

Even if Quick is indeed listed officially as the #1, it won't really matter as there will be WRs running all over the field. IMO, their respective skill sets appear to, at least on paper, compliment each other.

jap

Legend

Faceplant said:
nighttrain said:
ReddingRam said:
train

I think the additions of Austin, Bailey and Cook will actually help Quick. I was a little worried before the draft that we would be going into the season with Quick as the #1 WR. It was absolutely paramount that we added WRs in the draft, and I think they hit a home run with the WV duo.

Even if Quick is indeed listed officially as the #1, it won't really matter as there will be WRs running all over the field. IMO, their respective skill sets appear to, at least on paper, compliment each other.

Well, the critical thing is allowing Quick to grow into his designed role without undue pressure. HAving other effective targets around should help him a ton.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

jap said:
Faceplant said:
nighttrain said:
ReddingRam said:
train

Well, the critical thing is allowing Quick to grow into his designed role without undue pressure. HAving other effective targets around should help him a ton.

That was exactly the point I was trying to make, haha. I had too much coffee this morn and got long winded.

Slappy967

Starter

I think Brian Quick with a full offseason under his belt and running essentially the same offense will grow into his role nicely in 2013. With all the hype surrounding Austin and the return of Givens and an emerging Austin Pettis the spotlight won't be shining nearly as bright in his face this year and he can focus on playing better football.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Not really knowing if TA looked so good @ the expense of SB ?? But the smarts to take both of them is outstanding maneuver by Snead. Whatever the reason the combo duo works off of each other & the cost of drafting both of them both of them was somewhat expensive but not out of line. Ram invested 1st, 2nd, 3rd & a 7th rd pick to get them both.

Rams wide outs & slots receivers are no longer weak. All sizes and all shapes will be thrown all over the field.

T. Austin 5-8
S.Bailey 5-10
Johnson 5-11
Givens 6-0
Radway 6-2 1/2
Pettis 6-3
Quick 6-3
J.Cook 6-5

Rams will field a very young and very talented receiver cadre that has a one 1st rd, 2nd rd. three 3rd rders & a 4th rder.All of them are under 26 yrs of age.

The RB's who should get into some of Sams thrown balls also has some new infusion of talent with Zackery Stacy & Benny Cunningham to go with last yrs rookies Pead & Richardson. Would be NFL youngest stable of runners.

The amount of underneath Sam ball throws to The Rams H-back move TE position may drop but still has former high 2nd rd pick Lance Kendricks, UDFA Harkey & Mc Neil along with newcomer Lutzenkirchen who should match up well with Lance in style. Once again all of these players are under 25 yrs old

It would appear that these cadre of pass receivers of all sizes and shapes will cause some very bad migraines for the NFL in 2013 if....... Of course the success that all these young pass catchers will have will hinge on a medical mass unit of a Ram offensive line. When you list the Rams OL'ers & the past injuries the starters have incurred along with all the wavered free agent reserves the Rams have for OL'ers......well I would suggest you get your raincoat on, cause the probability of buckets of cold water to be thrown on us Ram fans & on this bright bunch of fireworks is high.....one thing Ram fans know is Rams recent & not so recent past is our OL is & was seriously injury prone. Same bunch of injured OL'ers are back again for a try at better luck. :nono: