TST: Rams Top 5 Free Agent Misses

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/5...-top-5-armchair-gm-free-agent-misses-for-2016

L.A. Rams: Top 5 Armchair GM Free Agent Misses For 2016
By Douglas M@thenovelroad

Ok, the 2016 NFL Draft is now a distant memory. Rookies have reported, and veterans are leaking into OTA-s across the country for post 2011 Collective Bargaining Agreement underwear workouts. Yet, team rosters are filled with question marks. It's a bit early to look back at how some of the 2016 free agents could've improved the base L.A. Rams roster where it currently stands, but I'm going to do it anyway...

It being 2 a.m., I get to perform this little exercise with my own ground rules. I'll pay a little attention to salary cap considerations, but I won't be tied to them. In this world of player contracts that say $70 zillion, but rarely mean it, I'll assume most of the players I mention could've been fit into the Rams budget somehow...

I may even deny that pesky "Franchise Tag" thingy even exists? My only limitation will be the absurdly expensive players like a Von Miller, who's more than likely getting ready to become the highest paid defensive player in NFL history very soon...

At #5 on my list of free agents, I think the Los Angeles Rams should've nabbed: Shea McClellin, ILB, Chicago Bears. A former 1st round draft pick (#19 overall in 2012), McClellin never really fit the Bears' defensive model. He was a bad draft pick by the Bears, as they tried to shoe-horn him into a position need he couldn't match. I think he'd excellent in Gregg Williams' defensive scheme, with an upside as a pass rusher that remains untapped at the NFL level.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f1j21Wkiew

My #4 free agent for the Rams: Jared Cook, Tight End... JUST KIDDING! Stop throwing things at your computer screens, and resist the urge to throw those expensive smart phones against a wall. I'm firmly in the camp of Rams fans who believe Cook was a flat out disaster.

I do think Los Angeles need a solid tight end option though, and I'd slide San Diego's Ladarius Green onto my free agent wish list for the Rams. Big bodied, with excellent pass catching skills, Green would've been an excellent addition to a weak position group.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dc0bmcddPw

At #3, this semi-elder statesman wide receiver is still on the free agent market: Anquan Boldin. I honestly don't care how old he is (35); he's an absolute rock at a position the Rams need to somehow jump start. He'd be a strong presence in the lock room, and his ability to come up big - year in, and year out - is something Los Angeles could use in 2016 with a rookie quarterback about to take the helm...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoXla9QqIEU

I'd go wide receiver again at #2, with Cincinnati's Mohamed Sanu. Atlanta scored big signing Sanu in free agency. He'll come into his own with Julio Jones taking most of the heat in coverage. I've long felt Sanu was under-utilized while with the Bengals, and I can see him being in the 70+ catch, 1,200 yard range for the Falcons in 2016. It kind of makes me groan a bit at how he would've fit in with Los Angeles. How about you?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BfBE7WiY2U

My #1 free agent for the Rams is a bit of a lark. He's set to make $15 million+ with the New York Jets as a defensive end in 2016. ( You recall that Franchise Tag thingy, right?). Muhammad Wilkerson is set to be an unrestricted free agent in 2017, so any chance the Rams had to snag him before he hits the open market for gorilla-huge money is all but gone. This guy can play any defensive gap position, and the thought of him set next to Robert Quinn - or outside Aaron Donald - has to have Rams fans wondering: "What if?"

Landing Wilkerson would've gotten a bit hinky though, since his restricted free agent status would've cost the Rams high draft capital. I get it, OK! But can't a defensive mind idiot like me dream a little? After all, it's 2 a.m., and I just ran out of Cheetos. I gotta go now, and see if I can push start my Yugo...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6BcKypc-P4

2016 NFL Free Agents

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Boldin is still available. Not sure why he hasn't gotten a look. If I were Snisher, I would gladly give him a chance to earn Quick's roster spot....

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What's with all the tst articles lately? You guys partner up or something? There's a reason I even came across ROD all those years ago. I was seeking refuge from that place of bandwagon posting and moderators/authors with God complexes

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
So we should have spent huge money on a 3-4 defense nose tackle for depth behind the highly productive Donald and Brockers?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What's with all the tst articles lately? You guys partner up or something? There's a reason I even came across ROD all those years ago. I was seeking refuge from that place of bandwagon posting and moderators/authors with God complexes

NFL news is scarce these days so I post pretty much whatever I can find. TST has some good commentary at times. No site is perfect. No matter what site we use as a source, someone will complain. Bleacher Report sucks. ESPN stinks. PFT and PFF are lousy, etc. etc.

At least you don't see anything here from Rams Talk. :baghead:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Boldin is still available. Not sure why he hasn't gotten a look. If I were Snisher, I would gladly give him a chance to earn Quick's roster spot....
Nice idea. But I think I'd rather take my chances on what we have now and see what happens in Camp and pre-Season! (y)
I have a feeling Boldin will be a FA for a while, maybe we pick him up on-the-cheap later!;)

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
While I agree he would be helpful, If Rams bring Boldin in, he takes a much needed roster spot. rams already have a seasoned vet in Britt.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Holding is the only one I personally wanted but I'm fine with us not adding any of this list.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Formerly, I was advocating for signing Boldin. For an experienced vet target for Goff plus a great example setter for our youngsters, you know?

But upon closer examination of all the names on our WR list, now I'm not so sure. Gonna be some excruciating cuts there as it is.

Maybe it's best to save the money and roll with the youngsters. I dunno...

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
NFL news is scarce these days so I post pretty much whatever I can find. TST has some good commentary at times. No site is perfect. No matter what site we use as a source, someone will complain. Bleacher Report sucks. ESPN stinks. PFT and PFF are lousy, etc. etc.

At least you don't see anything here from Rams Talk. :baghead:
Lol sorry pt ignore anything I post before noon I'm grumpy in the mornings.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
NO MOAR FA's!!!!!

Oh, I love the way all the vid's load easy and stuff! GREAT WORK ROD!!!!!!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Lol sorry pt ignore anything I post before noon I'm grumpy in the mornings.

This will cheer you up...or maybe not. Here's my daily mantra.

200.gif

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Formerly, I was advocating for signing Boldin. For an experienced vet target for Goff plus a great example setter for our youngsters, you know?

But upon closer examination of all the names on our WR list, now I'm not so sure. Gonna be some excruciating cuts there as it is.

Maybe it's best to save the money and roll with the youngsters. I dunno...
I totally get that. I recently was debating the merits of signing Boldin, as I think he's got plenty left in the tank and could help next year. But I lost a lot of steam in the debate as I mostly wanted him prior to the draft/udfa
I wouldn't be mad if they signed him, but he's nowhere near the "must have" I viewed him to be prior to the draft.

HellRam

Starter
None of these player's on this list are must sign or misses. That said I would rather the Rams gave Boldin a 1 year contract then Quick. Boldin is old but has shown he can be productive at times. His style seems like a good fit for our team but him signing with the Rams now appears to be very unlikely.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I'd like to have had a shot at Sanu, but not for the money he got. He can run all the routes and has great hands, just not the size/speed combo to get excited about.

Honestly though, the guys we picked up in draft and FA have already helped me move beyond it.

fearsomefour

Legend
The current admin clearly decided they were not going to overpay for a vet FA WR. A good call. Boldin will probably end up somewhere....a one year $2 M dollar deal or something.
I like the big DT, I wouldn't not be really worried about him in a 4/3, but he would have cost a ton.
I am interested to see how the Rams fill out the DT depth.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Just seems like a pointless article. Maybe it's just me.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.ninersnation.com/2016/6/1/11829652/anquan-boldin-free-agent-scouting-director-criticism

Scouting director on Anquan Boldin: 'He's old and can't run.'
By David Fucillo@davidfucillo on Jun 1, 2016

Why hasn't Anquan Boldin signed anywhere? One scouting director doesn't think he has much to offer. Of course, that 'can't run' thing has certainly been a problem Anquan Boldin's whole career.

The San Francisco 49ers have not re-signed wide receiver Anquan Boldin, 35, and he remains a free agent for the time being. We have not heard a whole lot of chatter about him. He reportedly had a visit with Washington, and there was a connection with the New England Patriots, but nothing came of either of those.

Someone asked Albert Breer why Boldin hasn't signed anywhere yet, and Breer got an anonymous quote:

View: https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/738034739387486208?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

First off, I don't think Boldin ever could really run all that much, at least in the context of some of the faster receivers out there. But he managed to rise to No. 17 in receiving yards and No. 12 in receptions in spite of really not having that kind of speed. Age is certainly something to consider with Boldin. He missed two games last year with a hamstring injury that kept him on the injury report most of the back half of the schedule.

Boldin did have the second fewest receiving yards of his career, and one of the lower receptions totals, but the 49ers offense was garbage last year. There is always the concern that he has reached a point where his career is going to go off a cliff, but he will get an opportunity somewhere this year. My guess is he has not signed somewhere in part because teams want to get young guys some reps, and in part because he is able to enjoy the full offseason with his family and charitable work.

This is the first time Boldin has hit unrestricted free agency. Nobody holds his rights, so he does not have to be at voluntary workouts, or even the mandatory minicamp each team holds. I suspect he signs somewhere in June or July. That will give him time to start learning a new playbook, and be ready to compete in training camp. I'm not concerned at this point that he's too old or "can't run."