TST: Rams release Initial Depth Chart

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Yeah it's probably weakside linebacker played by a former safety hybrid new position lets get clever with an abbreviation for it kinda thing :D
Yea, maybe it was a part of the deal. Mark Barron be like "I will not sign unless I play safety". Rams FO like "Deal!"

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
What great news to see Gaines ahead of Coty!! I agree, they must love what they see

Alexander over TJ is no surprise considering

I like going the Blake Bortles route with Goff - no rush
Wasn't Fisher just gushing over Bryant? That is a position that is wide open, and there will be great competition there. Yes, I'm worried about T.J.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
might not be from the coaching staff, but Tru listed as LCB and Barron listed as WS are interesting to say the least
WS is a new position that we created...Weak Safety, and not WLB, or Will Linebacker.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
WS is a new position that we created...Weak Safety, and not WLB, or Will Linebacker.

while that is the obvious and most likely explanation, I personally cant help but wonder if it means something more. Particularly that Barron and Mo would both play a hybrid role and based on formation and play call they would switch who is the de facto LB and S each play. Essentially it would be an adjustment to the need to have nickle as you base D with todays offenses but still give you 2 guys capable of playing like LBs. It would be a reformed version of a 4-3 where Barron and Mo are the will and sam and joyner would be the in the box SS, except this way you would have more speed to cover 3 wrs and the athletic TEs of todays game

again probably doesnt mean much, but just a thought

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
while that is the obvious and most likely explanation, I personally cant help but wonder if it means something more. Particularly that Barron and Mo would both play a hybrid role and based on formation and play call they would switch who is the de facto LB and S each play. Essentially it would be an adjustment to the need to have nickle as you base D with todays offenses but still give you 2 guys capable of playing like LBs. It would be a reformed version of a 4-3 where Barron and Mo are the will and sam and joyner would be the in the box SS, except this way you would have more speed to cover 3 wrs and the athletic TEs of todays game

again probably doesnt mean much, but just a thought
One, I know that Barron wants to called a Safety, and two, I wouldn't be surprised is Barron is on the field on almost every play, like last year. So yeah, I'd expect him to continue playing two positions, and he's damn good enough to do just that....and he can blitz from either position, which wreaks havoc on QB's and OC's. It's good to be Barron, with GW!

We have a lot of creative defensive packages, and talented players. This year should be fun.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
No need for concern...look at the words in red....when the guys in green font start saying this, then it's panic time...Most beat writers are full of
315.gif

Maybe, but you left out this, "The Los Angeles Rams distributed their 2016 training camp media preview last night, and with it came an initial starting depth chart (from the media group, not the coaching staff) which has Case Keenum as the Rams’ starting QB. "

I would think the media derived the depth chart from this preview. And, no one from the Rams has questioned the TST report. Although, I'm not concerned too much about it. It's only a way to say who is where on Day 1 of Camp.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I just do not like Cody Davis....plays slow, doesn't tackle well. I know, I must be wrong. I like C Bryant more. I don't think Greg WIlliams is worried--either way.

TJ Mac is a lot smarter than Mo Alex. I think TJ will start. MO gave up an easy TD in that 15th game against Seattle.....he is not ready yet. Though, maybe MO will replace Barron if he is hurt.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
For what it's worth, I saw a video(I believe in NFL.com) where Kurt Warner actually thinks Goff should sit and learn a bit, but thinks that Mannion, and not Keenum could start. Said the coaches are still very high on Mannion. So don't count him out of the battle.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If that happened no. But what has he shown since he's been on the team that will happen? He's just not very good.
Guess I'm watching different games, I haven't seen him look bad. I'm pulling for Randolph but I'll be happy with whoever wins the job, one of them will excel in camp.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/7...-rams-2016-depth-chart-jared-goff-case-keenum

Los Angeles Rams Release Initial Depth Chart, QB Jared Goff Not Starting

The Los Angeles Rams distributed their 2016 training camp media preview last night, and with it came an initial starting depth chart (from the media group, not the coaching staff) which has Case Keenum as the Rams’ starting QB.

Here’s the depth chart:

QB: Case Keenum
RB: Todd Gurley
WR: Kenny Britt
WR: Tavon Austin
TE: Lance Kendricks
TE: Cory Harkey
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: Roger Saffold
C: Tim Barnes
RG: Jamon Brown
RT: Rob Havenstein
LDE: William Hayes
LDT: Aaron Donald
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
MLB: Alec Ogletree
SLB: Akeem Ayers
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
CB: E.J. Gaines
WS: Mark Barron
SS: Maurice Alexander
FS: Cody Davis

Rookie franchise QB Jared Goff, along with RB Benny Cunningham, TE Tyler Higbee, WR Pharoh Cooper, DE Eugene Sims, CB Marcus Roberson, DB Lamarcus Joyner and RCB Coty Sensabaugh, was listed as a “key contributor.”

The blurb for Keenum reads:

"Posted 3-2 record in five starts for Rams. Completed 76-of-125 passes for 828 yards with four touchdowns and one interception. Is the NCAA all-time leader in yards, touchdown passes and completions."

Goff’s reads:

"Drafted No. 1 overall by the Rams after starting all 37 games possible during three seasons at Cal. First quarterback in school history to start first game as a true freshman."

We talked about the potential for Goff to ride the bench for Week 1 in mid-June. The poll I included in that piece had nearly 1,000 votes with 51% guessing he starts later in the season while 45% had him tabbed to earn the starting job by the time the regular season starts.

The last five#1 overall NFL Draft selections who were quarterbacks started in Week 1 of their rookie season: Tampa Bay Buccaneers QB Jameis Winston (2015), Indianapolis Colts (2012), Carolina Panthers QB Cam Newton (2011), then-St.Louis Rams and now-Philadelphia Eagles QB Sam Bradford (2010), and Detroit Lions QB Matt Stafford (2009). The last QB selected #1 overall in the NFL Draft not to start in Week 1 was Oakland Raiders QB JaMarcus Russell (2007).

I'm not surprised that Keenum is listed as the starter. I think, even if Goff was ahead of him at this point, Case would still be the starter in paper. There are a few other surprises though. Alexander is listed ahead of McDonald for SS. I'm not sure how much that tells us but it's something to keep an eye on.

I'm happy to see that Gaines is listed as the #2 corner. The coaching staff must like what they've seen from him post-injury. Hopefully he can be back to his old self during training camp.

Finally, it looks like Cody Davis has the leg up in the competition to fill McLeod's shoes. That will be a fun battle to watch during camp. Now I'm even more pumped for football to start!

I just went to The Rams site. It has rookies & Rob Havenstien is 2nd string & hurt right now. Why is Roger Saffold listed at RT ?? Never saw him there before ??