TST: Rams release Initial Depth Chart

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/7...-rams-2016-depth-chart-jared-goff-case-keenum

Los Angeles Rams Release Initial Depth Chart, QB Jared Goff Not Starting

The Los Angeles Rams distributed their 2016 training camp media preview last night, and with it came an initial starting depth chart (from the media group, not the coaching staff) which has Case Keenum as the Rams’ starting QB.

Here’s the depth chart:

QB: Case Keenum
RB: Todd Gurley
WR: Kenny Britt
WR: Tavon Austin
TE: Lance Kendricks
TE: Cory Harkey
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: Roger Saffold
C: Tim Barnes
RG: Jamon Brown
RT: Rob Havenstein
LDE: William Hayes
LDT: Aaron Donald
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
MLB: Alec Ogletree
SLB: Akeem Ayers
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
CB: E.J. Gaines
WS: Mark Barron
SS: Maurice Alexander
FS: Cody Davis

Rookie franchise QB Jared Goff, along with RB Benny Cunningham, TE Tyler Higbee, WR Pharoh Cooper, DE Eugene Sims, CB Marcus Roberson, DB Lamarcus Joyner and RCB Coty Sensabaugh, was listed as a “key contributor.”

The blurb for Keenum reads:

"Posted 3-2 record in five starts for Rams. Completed 76-of-125 passes for 828 yards with four touchdowns and one interception. Is the NCAA all-time leader in yards, touchdown passes and completions."

Goff’s reads:

"Drafted No. 1 overall by the Rams after starting all 37 games possible during three seasons at Cal. First quarterback in school history to start first game as a true freshman."

We talked about the potential for Goff to ride the bench for Week 1 in mid-June. The poll I included in that piece had nearly 1,000 votes with 51% guessing he starts later in the season while 45% had him tabbed to earn the starting job by the time the regular season starts.

The last five#1 overall NFL Draft selections who were quarterbacks started in Week 1 of their rookie season: Tampa Bay Buccaneers QB Jameis Winston (2015), Indianapolis Colts (2012), Carolina Panthers QB Cam Newton (2011), then-St.Louis Rams and now-Philadelphia Eagles QB Sam Bradford (2010), and Detroit Lions QB Matt Stafford (2009). The last QB selected #1 overall in the NFL Draft not to start in Week 1 was Oakland Raiders QB JaMarcus Russell (2007).

I'm not surprised that Keenum is listed as the starter. I think, even if Goff was ahead of him at this point, Case would still be the starter in paper. There are a few other surprises though. Alexander is listed ahead of McDonald for SS. I'm not sure how much that tells us but it's something to keep an eye on.

I'm happy to see that Gaines is listed as the #2 corner. The coaching staff must like what they've seen from him post-injury. Hopefully he can be back to his old self during training camp.

Finally, it looks like Cody Davis has the leg up in the competition to fill McLeod's shoes. That will be a fun battle to watch during camp. Now I'm even more pumped for football to start!

Last edited:

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
What great news to see Gaines ahead of Coty!! I agree, they must love what they see

Alexander over TJ is no surprise considering

I like going the Blake Bortles route with Goff - no rush

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Ok.... I'm starting to get worried about T.J. McDonald. ....has anyone herd or read anything?

Go Rams....... ;)

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I'm also starting to get worried about TJ...... What in the hell is going on with him!!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Ok.... I'm starting to get worried about T.J. McDonald. ....has anyone herd or read anything?

Go Rams....... ;)
I'm also starting to get worried about TJ...... What in the hell is going on with him!!

(from the media group, not the coaching staff)
No need for concern...look at the words in red....when the guys in green font start saying this, then it's panic time...Most beat writers are full of
315.gif

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Side note not really worth its own topic. Zac Stacy was just cut for failing his physical with the Jets.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
might not be from the coaching staff, but Tru listed as LCB and Barron listed as WS are interesting to say the least

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
What is a WS? Will Safety? Same as WLB but just named safety to make Barron happy? I'm down.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yea its weakside. I've still never heard of a weakside safety as an actual position tho
Yeah it's probably weakside linebacker played by a former safety hybrid new position lets get clever with an abbreviation for it kinda thing :D

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Kind of confirms Tavon working as a flanker, or "Z" position this year, especially with him working with Antonio Brown, which opens up the slot for Pharoh Cooper.