TST: Jeff Fisher Ranked #22 Among NFL Head Coaches

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/5...ach-jeff-fisher-nfl-head-coach-power-rankings

LA Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher Ranked #22 Among NFL Head Coaches

200.gif

The 2016 season will be the 21st season in which Jeff Fisher has been a head coach for Week 1. He has just six winning seasons in the previous 20...

Jeff Fisher doesn't have the most sparkling resume as an NFL head coach.

After taking over the Houston Oilers midway through the 1994 season, Fisher coached that franchise for the next 16 seasons overseeing their relocation to Tennessee and producing just six winning seasons throughout. In three of the postseasons following those six winning seasons, his team lost their first playoff game. Fisher made one Super Bowl appearance, Super Bowl XXXIV, in which his Tennessee Titans lost to the St. Louis Rams.

In his four years with the St. Louis Rams, he was unable to produce a winning season. He is the second coach since the AFL merger to produce zero winning seasons in his first four with a team and not be fired; the other, David Shula, was fired seven games into his fifth season coaching the Cincinnati Bengals.

With nine more losses, Jeff Fisher will be the losingest head coach of all time.

And yet, he has his supporters among Rams fans, fans who are willing to tolerate losing and failure and excuses and shifted blame and continually point toward some hypothetical point over the horizon to justify all of it.

They don't have much common support in the national media.

In a ranking of all 32 NFL head coaches over at USA Today, Fisher comes in almost inexplicably at #22:

How does this guy still have a job? People complain about Marvin Lewis in Cincinnati, but at least he gets his teams to the playoffs. Fisher hasn’t produced a winning record in seven years. The offense has been dreadful during his run and the defense, which has been loaded with talent, has underachieved.

There's a pretty clear disconnect between Steven Ruiz's blurb and Fisher's ranking, but let's not gripe. Instead, let's just recognize why Fisher's at 22 instead of lower.

He is the embodiment of the NFL.

He's a gritty former player turned coach from a big school (USC) in a big market (Los Angeles) who eschews the city identity for a more rural persona (see: stories about fishing and cameos in random country music videos). His teams are physical bordering on "dirty" (though opposing fan bases would certainly suggest they cross that border). He's well liked throughout the league, by media and by his players. He does the things off the field as well as any head coach in football.

That fishing story, a fluff piece from Sports Illustrated's Austin Murphy, clarifies where Fisher's skill set as a coach is greatest:

His true strength is forging bonds, building trust, making the pros feel a little like college. Then, when the roster is right and the system is in place, be patient. Good things will happen.

I don't know that any fan base is going to get excited over the patience required to produce a winning season once every three and half years and then lose the one playoff game it earns you more often than not, but here we are.

When the staff got together to discuss whether or not we thought Jeff Fisher should be fired late last season (and if you want to see how people can possibly support Fisher's tenure, check the comments on that one), I abstained. Nothing had changed, and it felt strange to me at that point to suggest firing him since (a) there was nothing he did in 2015 to warrant being fired that he hadn't done in previous seasons and (b) it wasn't going to happen anyway.

Back in March when Ron Jaworski trashed Fisher as a head coach, I broke down the four eras that define his 21 seasons as a head coach and the allure of Fisherball.

So I get why he gets ranked 22nd or 18th especially when his friendly demeanor with media "tends to keep the criticism of his team to a minimum" (and that's a quote from an article at nfl.com, not some disreputable or anonymous platform...).

But as Rams fans, we should just be honest with ourselves and where we are as a franchise: hoping to strike gold on one of those rare seasons when Fisherball produces...and wondering how a newborn Los Angeles fan base will react if it doesn't.

(UPDATED at 11:23am ET by 3k)

I meant to include this read on Fisher below from Doug Farrar over at Sports Illustrated somewhere in the above. It's a good preseason national media summary of where Fisher stands (thought not necessarily where he should).

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/05/24/jeff-fisher-los-angeles-rams-nfl-coaches

Coaches with the most to prove: Jeff Fisher, Rams long overdue for .500
By Doug Farrar

jeff-fisher-los-angeles-rams-nfl-coaches.jpg

Photo: Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images

On Jan. 13, 2012, the Rams hired Jeff Fisher to be the franchise’s 22nd head coach, replacing Steve Spagnuolo. Fisher chose the Rams over the Dolphins in part because he would have more control over the personnel; after coaching the Oilers through their relocation from Houston to Nashville, he had worked under a capricious owner before in Bud Adams and didn’t want to be the odd man out again.

The Rams won a grand total of 10 games in Spagnuolo’s three seasons, and the personnel holes inherited by Fisher and new general manager Les Snead were pretty glaring, but Fisher still went 7-8-1 in his first St. Louis season.

Things seemed to be on the rise, but that trajectory didn’t last long. Fisher’s Rams went 7–9 in both 2013 and ’15, bookending a 6–10 finish in ’14. That’s how a head coach who compiled a regular-season record of 142–120 at his previous stop enters his fifth season with the Rams at 27-36-1. That’s the kind of record that would get a lot of lesser-known coaches fired, but the franchise has displayed patience with Fisher through thick and thin.

That may change if the Rams don’t see noticeable improvement in 2016, because so much else has changed for the team lately. The move back to Los Angeles, the franchise’s home from its inception through the 1994 season, makes the Rams a major player from a marketing and p.r. perspective.

On top of that, they sent the Titans a king’s ransom of draft picks to move from No. 15 to No. 1 and select Cal quarterback Jared Goff, giving up their 2016 and 2017 first-round picks, two second-rounders in 2016 and a third-rounder in both 2016 and 2017.

It’s not unlike the deal the Rams made with the Redskins in Fisher’s first year in St. Louis, gaining extra first-rounders in 2013 and 2014 in return for the pick that turned into Robert Griffin III. The run of mediocrity that defined the franchise’s final years in St. Louis can be traced back to its inability to cash in on those extra picks—especially the high ones.

The 2013 draft brought Tavon Austin and Alec Ogletree in the first round, two super-athletes whose ultimate NFL value is still up for debate. The team hit on 50% of its first-round picks in 2014: Future Defensive Rookie of the Year Aaron Donald was a heist at No. 12, but No. 2 pick Greg Robinson has yielded mixed results after being taken with the intention of taking over at left tackle.

As one might expect from a Buddy Ryan acolyte, Fisher has put most of his stock on the defensive side of the ball. When the Rams signed former Patriots defensive lineman Dominique Easley on May 17, Easley became the eighth former first-round pick in the Rams’ rotational front seven, joining Ogletree, safety/linebacker Mark Barron and defensive linemen Donald, Robert Quinn, Michael Brockers and Quinton Coples. Donald and Quinn are franchise players, and Brockers and Barron have had their moments. The Rams finished seventh in Football Outsiders’ opponent-adjusted defensive efficiency metrics last season.

The offensive side of the ball has been Fisher’s fundamental problem throughout his Rams tenure, and it’s not something that can be fixed by the arrival of Goff alone. The offensive line is in flux, and the receiver corps is just as questionable as it has been throughout the last four seasons. Second-year running back Todd Gurley is the team’s only elite offensive weapon right now.

Fisher believes in a power-based, mistake-proof offense, which is also typical of defensive-minded coaches, but unlike his divisional rival Pete Carroll, he has been unable to think outside the box enough and more closely align his offense with the modern NFL game.

His offensive coordinators (Brian Schottenheimer, Rob Boras, Frank Cignetti) have installed schemes and concepts that did the team’s limited personnel no favors, and as a result Fisher’s Rams have never finished higher than 21st in points scored and 23rd in yards gained. Last year, with Boras and Cignetti calling the shots and Nick Foles at quarterback, they finished 29th in points and dead last in yards.

That will need to change if the Rams want to secure a playoff berth for the first time since 2004. They pushed their chips in with the Goff pick, the kind of move that usually indicates a franchise understands its limitations and is willing to get out of its comfort zone to overcome them.

Fisher, a son of Los Angeles, would love to make that happen in his hometown. He’s in the final season of a five-year, $35 million contract, and although there has been talk of a contract extension, the record will catch up to him sooner or later. The unspoken pressures are mounting all around him.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
After this year, Fisher will move up 16 spots to number 6.
12930833_1780701062163268_1662565626_n.jpg

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I don't really like sanctimonious hate pieces like the 1st one...Whether they suit your fancy or not...I just don't like dick- head writers...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't think we have to worry about having to be patient any longer. Fisher's Time has come, IT's Now!!(y)(y):D

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
When you look up the list of NFL Head Coaches with the most wins ALL TIME... Jeff is #13. You don't get that many wins by being a terrible coach. Terrible coaches don't work in this league for as long as Fisher has. He is highly respected by his peers and his players.

Haters gonna hate.

Too many people today believe immediate gratification is the norm.

:gtfo:

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
he has seen the playoffs. recently. its about results. time to see some.

He seen the playoffs with Andy Reids team, now that team is all messed up because of this "offensive Guru" he needs to go back to college where players are interchangeable every year. Actually I'm happy he is on the 49ers now lol

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't really like sanctimonious hate pieces like the 1st one...Whether they suit your fancy or not...I just don't like dick- head writers...
That is 3K described to perfection. The man is so sour and bitter he must brush his teeth and rinse his mouth with vinegar. I read the first two paragraphs and without him being listed as the author I still knew it was him. It's funny as well how he always greatly exaggerates Rams fans opinions of Fisher.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
@Rynie
Exactly. That right there lets you know that list is a joke.
Thank You,
I knew there were Cowboy Fans with good taste somewhere.
P.S I think I am taking my buddy (another Cowboy fan ) To the first Preseason game Rams V Dallas

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
@Rynie

Thank You,
I knew there were Cowboy Fans with good taste somewhere.
P.S I think I am taking my buddy (another Cowboy fan ) To the first Preseason game Rams V Dallas
That'll be fun. I have a ton of friends going.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
#22 on the list, but #1 in my heart.

Yeah I said it.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When you look up the list of NFL Head Coaches with the most wins ALL TIME... Jeff is #13. You don't get that many wins by being a terrible coach. Terrible coaches don't work in this league for as long as Fisher has. He is highly respected by his peers and his players.

Haters gonna hate.

Too many people today believe immediate gratification is the norm.

:gtfo:
i think we've passed immediate gratification by now.