TST: Did Brian Quick do enough to start?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/9/1/4678054/st-louis-rams-burning-questions-did-brian-quick-do-enough-to-beat-out" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/9/1/4 ... o-beat-out</a>

By Tevin Broner

Brian Quick has had a successful preseason, but is it enough to beat out Austin Pettis for a starting spot?

The St. Louis Rams decided to keep 5 wide receivers on their active roster this season. This wasn't a big surprise because if the Rams needed a 6th receiver it would only be for depth purposes. However it appeared as though the Rams wanted to try an experiment in the 4th preseason game.

It seemed like the Rams plan, or maybe it was just backup quarterback Kellen Clemens's plan, was to get the ball to 2nd year receiver Brian Quick as much as possible. He was the most targeted player on the field, finishing the game with 5 catches and 60 yards. He did have a drop and a fumble, so it wasn't a perfect game..

Just look at this play. Quick is the outside receiver, and at the snap of the ball he takes a couple of steps and then gives the receiver a move to the inside, before he moves back to the outside and streaks down the field. At the end of the route, he uses his body well for a leaping catch. Impressive.

[vine]https://vine.co/v/hiVOi0Jheve[/vine]

Honestly that catch, and his others, showed what Quick has the skills to do. There is a concern he hasn't performed against starters. Yet, current starter Austin Pettis has been playing against starters and hasn't looked impressive. It's unfair to compare the two, but Quick has played better than expected.

What should be the deciding factor: Upside or experience?

Quick isn't a finished product, and the Rams knew that going into the preseason. He's looked good against his competition and has flashed his talent almost every week. It would be different if he didn't perform well against 2nd string players, but he has, so if the Rams want to place Quick as a starter they have to feel more comfortable after Thursday's game against the Baltimore Ravens.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
That should have been a TD.

I don't care if he starts, but he should get a lot of snaps.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If he doesn't start, I want him in on the second play of the game. :cool:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Stedman has looked very tentative and had some drops lately. I think he needs to get a good game under his belt to gain some confidence.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
albefree69 said:
Stedman has looked very tentative and had some drops lately. I think he needs to get a good game under his belt to gain some confidence.
Drops? I haven't seen any of those ... so I checked with your Bible. :lol:

Zero.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X keeping me honest:
I'm referring to our last practices. Either Jim or CoachO talked about the drops.
Or my brain is hiccuping.
I'm thinking it's 50/50 probability. :lol:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
albefree69 said:
X keeping me honest:
I'm referring to our last practices. Either Jim or CoachO talked about the drops.
Or my brain is hiccuping.
I'm thinking it's 50/50 probability. :lol:
Yeah, coulda been practice. I think you're right.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Quick has done enough to start over Pettis

Pettis hasn't done enough to start over Quick

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I know most are basing their evaluation solely on what they have seen in the Preseason Games, and the "concern" about him doing this mainly against the "2's" in these games.

I assure you, he has gotten plenty of reps with the 1st offense throughout training camp, and from about the second week of camp on, he was getting targeted more than any receiver on the team not named COOK.

Wait til you see him on the "deep dig" route against Arizona. He has proven to be almost uncoverable on this route. As long as he is consistent with catching the ball, he SHOULD end up getting more reps than Pettis.

Unless, its just another Brandon Gibson situation, where Fisher/Sherman give the reps to the veteran until he shows he doesn't deserve them anymore.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I think Quick is definitely ready for the opportunity to start. he is a couple big catches and a good game away from asserting himself into the starting lineup in my opinion.
After he has a great game and believes in himself he will be a mainstay in the starting lineup.

lockdnram21

Legend
Quick will start by week 4 and will be the best receiver on team by the end of the season

fastcat

Pro Bowler
Idk how coaches in the NFL work, but maybe... Just maybe, Quick will start or atleast get way more pt than Pettis. I'm saying that becuase Pettis only had maybe 5 catches the entire preseason, with the 1s. Quick has outplayed him hands down even tho it was against 2s and 3s. Maybe they want him to get as much pt without the 1s becuase he needs the reps, but they don't want to show any teams their weapon. Schotty and fisher and some of the players have hinted that we will be suprised at what we see on offense when the season starts.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2