TST: 6 questions to ponder this offseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Good piece by Brandon Bate over at TurfShowTimes;

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/6/21/4450438/st-louis-rams-six-how-questions-to-ponder-this-offseason" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/6/21/ ... -offseason</a>

In case you missed it, I recently asked Rams Nation to ponder five pertinent ‘can’ questions while we await the onset of the 2013 regular season. What they can do is one thing, but how they’re going to go about doing it is another. I’ve got a few more questions for you…

1. How Will The Running-Back-By-Committee Approach Pan Out?

There are going to be several intriguing position battles to monitor this offseason, and figuring out which Rams’ rusher is hungriest for playing time ranks atop my list. It’s pretty simple, and it boils down to this…

Isaiah Pead will need to live up to the expectations of being a 2nd round [top 50] draft pick, and he hasn't gotten off to a stellar start; having already been suspended for Week 1 of the 2013 regular season. For Daryl Richardson - who regularly spelled Steven Jackson in 2012 - it’s his job to lose. He showed off his play-making ability last year, and will look to take advantage of increased carries in the Rams’ home opener [with Pead on the sidelines]. Lastly - and speaking of a sidelined Pead - is rookie Zac Stacy. Each of the Rams’ RB’s have differing skill sets, and maybe none more than Stacy. While Pead and Richardson do the majority of the work between the 20’s, don’t be surprised to see a healthy dose of Zac Stacy when the Rams head into the red zone.

Saying that the Rams will utilize a timeshare approach is vague, and probably speaks to uncertainty. I’m betting there will be a go-to back by season’s end. How will the RBBC approach pan out?

2. How Does Brian Schottenhiemer Utilize All Of His New Weapons?

Potentially the most difficult in my line of questioning, and I wonder if Schottenheimer even knows the answer himself. Aside from figuring out what to do with the aforementioned running backs, Schottenheimer will have to game plan for two rookies WR's, two 2nd year wideouts, and a free agent TE…not to mention OTA standout Austin Pettis, and TE Lance Kendricks.

The recipe for success is going to be difficult to formulate. Chris Givens should be a lock to start, if you’re looking at 2012 results. He certainly showed promise, leading the team in receiving yards, and will look to build on a sensational rookie campaign.

Brian Quick - a fellow rookie from 2012 - played a minimal role in the Rams’ offense last year, and has been deemed 4th on the depth chart after last week’s organized team activities. Does it even matter? In June, the answer is no. But Quick should be expected to contribute in September, and figuring out how to get him involved in the offense - which includes two rookie standouts from WVU - won’t be easy.

Speaking of the former Mountaineers, Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey will look to get involved in the passing game, with Austin being expected to contribute immediately… and in more than one way. Expectations for Austin are probably the highest amongst any Rams’ wideouts, and he’s yet to play a meaningful down for the team.

Lastly, "Schotty" has to find a way to get the tight ends (TE) involved in the offense. The TE position has certainly evolved over recent years, as they're expected to do more than simply block. Two tight end sets have grown in popularity over the past few years, as having pass-catching threats like Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hern… well, they’ve proven to be matchup nightmares for many LB’s and Safeties. Jared Cook made it clear [in Tennessee] that he wanted the ball more, and I’d imagine Kendricks - who’s been relegated to offensive line duties - feels the same.

"Spreading the love" to all of the Rams’ weapons may prove a tough task for Schottenheimer. There are certainly a slew of players capable of getting into space and making plays. It’s a luxury for sure. Schottenheimer will probably be another candidate for a head coaching gig in 2014… How’s he going to bolster his resumé and successfully utilize all of his offensive weapons?

3. How Long Can The Offensive Line Stay In Tact?

The best way to get the aforementioned TE’s involved is by piecing together a capable, reliable offensive front. Injuries have plagued the Rams’ offensive line in recent years, and - in an effort to avoid jinxing the team - you avoid thinking about it [and certainly refrain from speaking about it] at all costs.

But let’s have a gander at the line. The left guard position is the least likely to suffer injury, solely because we have no idea who’ll be lining up left of center this season. Shew! There’s a relief.

The remaining four O-lineman, though, could be a concern. Jake Long - the Rams’ new LT - finished his 2012 season on the IR list due to a torn triceps. He hasn’t played a full season since 2010.

Last year, the Rams signed veteran center Scott Wells to a handsome 4 year contact, only to see him miss nine of the team’s games following a broken foot in the Rams’ season opener. He’s played in the NFL for nine [going on 10] years, and he’s played a full 16-game season four times.

On the right side of center will be Harvey Dahl and Rodger Saffold. Dahl - who’s entering his 9th year in the league - played in only 14 games in 2012, having suffered a torn bicep which kept him sidelined for the Rams’ last two games of the year. Prior to that Dahl was able to put together back-to-back 16 game seasons.

The Rams right tackle, Rodger Saffold, has played one season in it’s entirety [2010], and has missed 13 of the team’s 32 games since 2011; due to pectoral and head/neck/back injuries.

The Rams’ offense - despite uncertainty at LG - could be one of the team’s strengths in 2013. That, however, is incumbent upon their health. How long the offensive line can stay healthy will be a large factor in the team’s success this year.

4. How Many Wins Will It Take For The Rams To Make The Playoffs?

Premature? Definitely. Possible? Yes. The Rams play in the toughest division in the NFL, so looking forward to a playoff berth in June is…well… silly. But it’s definitely possible.

It won’t be easy, though, especially if they don’t win in a division that includes the 49ers and Seahawks. Outside of their divisional opponents, there were plenty of teams who had double-digit wins in 2012 - something the Rams haven’t done since 2003.

If the Rams are in a position - come December - to still be fighting for a playoff berth, here are some team’s from 2012 they may be competing against:

* Washington Redskins - 10 wins
* New York Giants - 9 wins
* Green Bay Packers - 11 wins
* Minnesota Vikings - 10 wins
* Chicago Bears - 10 wins
* Atlanta Falcons - 13 wins
* San Francisco 49ers - 11 wins
* Seattle Seahawks - 11 wins

…In case you’re not aware, there are only going to be six teams who will represent the NFC in 2014’s postseason. The Rams have had a tremendous off season, but it’s not as if some of the teams listed above - who were already on the cusp - aren’t also improving.

Getting 3 or 4 additional wins this year isn’t out of the question, but it’s easier said than done. The Bears weren’t able to sneak into the playoffs last year with 10 wins… How many will it take for the Rams?

5. How Concerned Are You With The Rams Safety "Situation"?

Quintin Mikell played very well for the Rams in 2012, and now he’s gone. Craig Dahl played very well for the Rams’ opponents in 2012… He’s also gone. What’s left?

In short, a whole bunch of undrafted free agents, recently signed Matt Giordano, and rookie T.J. McDonald.

Undrafted Free Agent Safeties on the Rams’ Roster

Darian Stewart ( ✓ )
Matt Daniels ( ✓ )
Rodney McLeod ( ✓ )
Cody Davis ( ✓ )

With that being said, there’s plenty of promise on the roster. But when promise lines up in the deep secondary on September 8th: How concerned are you with the safeties the Rams are fielding?

6. How Many Players Will The Rams Send To The Pro Bowl in 2014?

The Rams sent a whopping zero players to the Pro Bowl in 2012. While the other team from Missouri sent five players to Hawaii last January, the Rams - along with the Eagles, Raiders, Chargers, Titans, Jaguars, Bills and Panthers - were shut out.

The Rams have a lot of very good players. How many of them are going to represent the team in the 2014 Pro Bowl?

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
1. How Will The Running-Back-By-Committee Approach Pan Out?

My view on this is that at the beginning of the season it will be a massive committee approach. But I truly believe this offense is going to be predicated by the passing game. Wide sets seem to lend its self to D. Rich's style (Quick/Elusive).

However in this division you have to look at the competition and kinda take an Idea from them. RB F.Gore in San Francisco (Yes, I hate the Whiners, but I refuse to not acknowledge talent because of the colors they wear), M.Lynch in Seattle, and lastly R.Mendenhall in Arizona, we currently appear to be the weakest at that position....however that is yet to be seen because our boys in Horns haven't had the chance to make a name like those three aforementioned. Now back to taking an idea from them: Both SF and SEA have power backs, while AZ has a finesse back. Those power backs have dominated this division for some time (Including our own SJ39) and will continue to do so. Their ability to wear down LB's and scare the shyte outta most corners (The swagtastic Finnegan and Jenkins excluded of course) is probably something that I am most jealous of, concerning our rivals anyway, at the moment. The Rams know this, and will build towards this IMO. Look for Stacy or Pead to become the go to back this year, with Rich being a change of pace guy who will be possibly utilized in the shotgun for screens.

Lastly, don't you dare forget that T.Austin is gonna be takin some snaps outta that RB position. :cool:

2. How Does Brian Schottenhiemer Utilize All Of His New Weapons?

Again, just my view, but the main point of this 2013 offense will be the hurry up (not get the ball of quick to save time hurry up, but the get to the line quick to hold the defense in certain personnel hurry up). He most likely will utilize the fact that we have L.Kendricks, J.Cook, and T.Austin who can all line up at multiple positions (I know there are probably more so correct me if there is someone you think can also line up all over well). This will kill defense's. Kinda think Oregon Duckish offense. Come to the line in one formation, say 2 tight, 2 wide, 1 back, run the play and get back to the line....but the Horns come back to the line in a new formation, 2 wide (Cook&Givens), 1 tight (Kendricks), and 2 backs (Austin&Who ever is the running back lol). Now you don't snap the ball right away to save time...Schotty know's this and will let Sam look for the mismatch that is happening from the fact that the Defense is stuck in the same personnel as well. Then add the immense talent of all the Offensive weapons the Horns now posses and can not be covered by linebackers and something special is coming. Just think, that first formation (2 tight, 2 wide, 2 backs) is usually defended by a 4-3 or 3-4 base formation...meaning more linebackers to stop what could be a run outta a heavy set...then go to the second (2 wide, 1 Tight, 2 backs) which isn't necessarily a run or pass set and ask those linebackers stuck on the field to cover Austin outta the back, or Cook/Kendricks lol this is gonna be fun!!

3. How Long Can The Offensive Line Stay In Tact?

Wish I could speculate and say all season, however that nearly never happens....but with injuries...(Unless your Danny Amendola) you just have to wait and see IMO.

4. How Many Wins Will It Take For The Rams To Make The Playoffs?

As many as it takes to win the division. The wild card race is way too heated...and it's gonna take nearly as many wins to claim a joker spot in the playoffs as it is to win the division. Don't sleep on this division being tough, from top to bottom. Yeah SEA and SF all ready get their love, we are well on our way....but please, please, please do not sleep on the Cardinals. I mean heck they won 5 games last year with out a freaking QB...and now Carson Palmer is in the mix with Larry Fitzgerald! Plus they acquired Rashard Mendenhall! That first game of the season is gonna be freakin tuff. Since were all gonna beat the crap outta each other in the west...I have a suspicion no team will have more than 10 wins in the division....so 10 is how many I think we need.

5. How Concerned Are You With The Rams Safety "Situation"?

IDK, kinda not nervous and not excited. Most of the players here are unproven, which doesn't mean they are not good. So I really won't get concerned till after pre-season and we have a taste of what our Safety's are capable of.

6. How Many Players Will The Rams Send To The Pro Bowl in 2014?

Doesn't freaking matter one iota. The Pro Bowl is a bigger, and more annoying joke, than Yo Mamma. For christ sake, the Chiefs, AKA the worst team in football last season, had 6 pro bowlers last year and we had none....honestly if the league wants to make the game worth playing to players, and some fans, again...they need to stop gettin on the players butts for not wanting to get hurt in an asinine game and start making the pro-bowl an honor to be a part of again.