Trumaine Johnson enjoying Rams' new defensive scheme/Latsch

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Johnson enjoying Rams' new defensive scheme
Nate Latsch

http://stl.scout.com/2/1428841.html

ST. LOUIS — Rams cornerback Trumaine Johnson is a big fan of new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams’ attacking and aggressive scheme.
“I love it,” Johnson said. “I’m big and I’m physical. It plays right in this defense.”

The 6-foot-2, 208-pounder is an anomaly among the St. Louis cornerbacks, a group that got smaller this offseason with the additions of second-rounder Lamarcus Joyner (5-8, 184) and sixth-rounder E.J. Gaines (5-10, 190).

But how Williams utilizes the University of Montana remains to be seen, but the cornerback has tried to prepare himself for whatever will be asked of him in his third NFL season.

“With Gregg Williams he has an aggressive defense,” Johnson said. “It’s attitude. It’s being more aggressive. Be that lock-down corner we need. It’s everything. Being a cornerback.”

Also being a leader in the secondary as one of the veterans.

With as young as the Rams are in the defensive backfield, after the release of Cortland Finnegan this offseason, the third-year guys like Johnson, Janoris Jenkins and Rodney McLeod have taken on more responsibility as leaders.

“It’s a challenge at times, but I’m a vet, one of the oldest guys in the room now,” Johnson said. “I have a lot of guys looking up to me, so I have to get on my ‘A’ game every day.”

The California native started 12 of his 16 games last season. He led the Rams with three interceptions, after snagging two as a rookie in 2012, was second on the team with 11 passes defensed and finished fourth with 67 tackles. He also recorded one forced fumble.

The Rams are counting on their two starting corners, the 24-year-old Johnson and 25-year-old Jenkins, to take a big step forward in their third seasons.

How that duo performs in 2014 will go a long way toward how strong the overall defense is. Johnson’s experience has helped him so far in training camp.

“The game is coming a lot slower for me this year,” Johnson said, “so I’m just taking advantage of it.”

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
This should he the year we truly know what we have in Tru and Jenkins.
These guys should be entering there prime.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I kinda wanted that cb from Utah, McGill..Maybe the kid outta Nebraska, but I never saw him play....Just makes me wonder with Tru getting better every year, and the talent needed in today's NFL....Love the way Tru has been playing cb, maybe we need to think about JJ for the slot.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This should he the year we truly know what we have in Tru and Jenkins.
These guys should be entering there prime.

And last year's scheme was not a fit for them. So glad GW is here!

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Way too much crap and worries over the secondary's abilities. Depth I can understand, youth yea, but these two are built for this defense. cant be aggressive, mess with receivers and make plays when you're always 10 yards off the line!

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Truuuuuuuu! He is going have a great year! Montana is rooting for you! GO RAMS!

th