Trumaine > Jalen Ramsey

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Trumaine Johnson -- soon to be free agent, represented by Lagardere Unlimited
Ike Taylor -- (formerly) represented by Lagardere Unlimited

Probably just a coincidence, right?

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Trumaine, like 99% of all players, is susceptible to highs and lows.

He has proven himself to be capable of putting together patches of dominant play and also just average.

Yes, he has earned more than his production.
No, this hasnt been his best season.
All that said, Tru could ball out the rest of the season and it wouldnt surprise me in the least.

My hope is the the Rams are able to bring him back on a fair contract.
He and Webster are perfectly capable of being our outside CBs.

Good players are not always easily replaceable and I dont think its realistic to expect us to upgrade at CB next season by letting Tru go. To sign a FA that is "better" than TJ22, I cant imagine that player not costing a fortune. Johnson is from LA, loves the Rams, wants to win and has already made a ton of money. He has plenty of football ahead of him and can settle in comfortably on a fair and team friendly deal. Hopefully he sees it that way.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Ike Taylor played for the Steelers. The Steelers were rumored to love Trumaine Johnson. They like a certain skill set. Maybe Ike sees some of himself in Tru.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Trumaine has done very well covering the #1 Identified receiving threat on opponents offenses. Tru will get paid big again next season...just NOT as a Ram. Rams 2018 secondary will take a BIG serious blow :dizzy:in Free Agency in about 3 months.:(

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Trumaine has done very well covering the #1 Identified receiving threat on opponents offenses. Tru will get paid big again next season...just NOT as a Ram. Rams 2018 secondary will take a BIG serious blow :dizzy:in Free Agency in about 3 months.:(
I remain hopeful. Who knows what happens after they the Super Bowl :)

James Otto

Starter
The Ram's pass defense statistics say this is indeed real. Trumaine gives up alot of yards in front of him, but never the big play. He has given up 0 TD's this season. PFF hates him, FWIW.

I know, for fact, that Trumaine wants to stay in LA and would take a reasonable paycut to do so.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The Ram's pass defense statistics say this is indeed real. Trumaine gives up alot of yards in front of him, but never the big play. He has given up 0 TD's this season. PFF hates him, FWIW.

I know, for fact, that Trumaine wants to stay in LA and would take a reasonable paycut to do so.

If in fact that is true then why has Trumaine refused the Rams offer the last 2 off seasons?

James Otto

Starter
If in fact that is true then why has Trumaine refused the Rams offer the last 2 off seasons?

If I had to take a shot, I would guess because he wanted to play for a winner. Seems like a passionate kid and that wasn't happening with Fisher, and he was probably unsure about the 31 year old Wunderkid coming in.

Let's see how winning changes that!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If I had to take a shot, I would guess because he wanted to play for a winner. Seems like a passionate kid and that wasn't happening with Fisher, and he was probably unsure about the 31 year old Wunderkid coming in.

Let's see how winning changes that!
In truth I seriously hope you are right my heart :love: wants him to remain here as a Ram & we have big holes in our DB in March. However my only working & very small brain cell :headexplosion: that survived the late 60's says NO WAY he signs!

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I encourage all ROD members to read Ike Taylor’s weekly rankings throughout the year. ANYONE here who thinks they can evaluate corners better than him is delusional. Furthermore, he actually studies film on CB’s every week and puts his rep on the line with every article. If you actually read his articles, you’ll see he breaks down the nuances of the position, the ultimate responsibilities, and his rankings are based on the performance THAT WEEK, not just a deference to reputation.

The Rams CB’s started cracking his top 3 a few weeks ago. They’ve EARNED his respect whereas we fans don’t really get to study the same film he has access to. It shocks me how much most Ram fans discount our CB’s, particularly Tru. Ike correctly points out that the #1 responsibility of a QB is to keep the receivers he covers out of the endzone. To that point...Tru is PERFECT in that regard for 11 weeks. If you ask Ike, Tru should be an ALL PRO. Read our board and you’d think he is replaceable by a rookie in next year's draft.

Kurt Warner does similar breakdowns of QB’s every week on his podcast. Upper echelon players who take the time to actually put themselves in the player’s shoes as they watch film like Kurt and Ike are the ones to believe. Everyone else can take a hike.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Weird, every other CB ranking Tru doesn't even break the top 5 list.

IMO I think Tru is a top 10-15 corner not a true lockdown CB. I think he's serviceable but not worth what hes going to ask for when it comes time to pay him. I say let him walk if he doesn't accept a fair contract. We can't overpay at this point.

As far as Ike is concerned, his opinion is completely biased when it comes to ranking CB's. His agent is the same agent as Tru's. and he's going to talk him up of course. I don't think True is a #2 CB in the league at the moment. Lots of better cover corners. Especially in Wades type of system.

In the end I want to keep Tru, why? Because it's hard as hell to find good players. He's a good player, not a top player, but a good one. I mean we can go to the draft and pick someone up in the 2nd or 3rd round but how many times have we seen guys bust out of or not play to their draft status. I vote to keep him, time will tell.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
It shocks me how much most Ram fans discount our CB’s, particularly Tru.
I like our starters on defense....I think our backups could use a lil lift. I don't know what Tru is asking, but if it's over $8 million a season...I don't see us keeping him.

I don't think Tru has played as well as Ramsey....but I don't watch the Jags as much....I do know he travels with the #1 wr....pretty much all game...I don't think Tru does this.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I like our starters on defense....I think our backups could use a lil lift. I don't know what Tru is asking, but if it's over $8 million a season...I don't see us keeping him.

I don't think Tru has played as well as Ramsey....but I don't watch the Jags as much....I do know he travels with the #1 wr....pretty much all game...I don't think Tru does this.

You're correct Tru doesn't always follow the #1 WR. Wade puts him usually where he thinks the ball is going. Only thing is Tru sucks in the Slot, he gets burned there a lot

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Trumaine Johnson -- soon to be free agent, represented by La GALLdere Unlimited.
Ike Taylor -- (formerly) represented by LaGALLdere Unlimited

Probably just a coincidence, right?
Maybe so. But I think I know what they are referring to with “unlimited”

Ike correctly points out that the #1 responsibility of a QB is to keep the receivers he covers out of the endzone.
Leo, I’m not sure if that was a typo or if you were referring to Fishers’ policy. (n)

Kurt Warner does similar breakdowns of QB’s every week on his podcast.
Kurt ticked me off this week. Jared didn’t even make his top five, but the fan vote had Jared at #4.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake

He's smart, and his representation is smarter.

They knew we would tag him. 17 mil a year for the last two years is better than 8 to 10 mil for 4 years. It's just a numbers game at this point.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Johnson is a good CB. Great even. But he's not in the NFL's absolute top tier. He likely rounds out the top 10. My worry is that he will want to be paid as if he is top 3-5. I hope we can re-sign him for a fair price. If not, he isn't the kind of elite talent I would just open the wallet for, as you could argue for doing for a guy like Donald.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
The thing with Tru is he was injury prone early in his career. My fear is that he signs that big contract and is suddenly hurt again.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Your getting way ahead of yourself.

Doesn’t Tru play left CB ? He is rarely on the right side if at all from looking a far.

Robey Coleman Nickell has played very well at Nickel. Sort of a good fit.

The Rams have draft , FA, & a couple nice young players for depth.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
You're correct Tru doesn't always follow the #1 WR. Wade puts him usually where he thinks the ball is going. Only thing is Tru sucks in the Slot, he gets burned there a lot

Like I said in my post after yours. I think Tru plays CB. When EJ Gains played opposite on right side.