True or False: Based SOLELY on TALENT....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TGZ

Rookie
Name
Dylan
The best CBs on the Rams are the ones who are currently projected to start: Janoris Jenkins and EJ Gaines.

I said this to a friend tonight and it sparked a pretty decent conversation. I would argue there is a better skill set in Gaines than there is from Trumaine Johnson.

This isn't me saying Tru shouldn't start as he has more experience than Gaines and more consistency than Jenkins, but I think talent-wise Gaines and Jenkins are better.

Agree or Disagree?

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
No. Tru is a fantastic corner. Gaines is good - and I'm a MU alum and homer - but Tru is really, really, really good. He may be a better overall corner than Jenkins, when you factor in the mental side of the game.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Gaines definitely has a great feel for the game, especially for a rookie, but I haven' seen enough to say he's more talented than the very athletic Tru. That said, it looks like we'll all get a chance to watch our young CB's try to hold down the fort for a few weeks...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tru is a more talented CB. Gaines's talent really isn't that exceptional. He's just a smart kid with instincts and a motor.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
No. Trumaine's the better cover corner.

Gaines does have a nose for the ball, which is why I'd like to see him get some time at free safety in the future. I think he could be a game changer there.

bskrilla

Starter
Raw Talentwise I don't think there's any argument JJ is on top, but you can't discount Tru's size. I think JJ and Tru are the 2 most talented and Tru may be the best "complete" corner RIGHT NOW. But if JJ can become more consistent I think he'll overtake him.

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
dwight-schrute-false-cropped.jpg

TGZ

Rookie
Name
Dylan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
hey Hey HEY!

....yes I have a designated driver.

In all seriousness, I guess I'm alone on this front. Prob the Mizzou honk in me. That's fine. I think Tru is a decent corner with great size which makes him look a little better than he is.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
hey Hey HEY!

....yes I have a designated driver.

In all seriousness, I guess I'm alone on this front. Prob the Mizzou honk in me. That's fine. I think Tru is a decent corner with great size which makes him look a little better than he is.
What conflicting opinions on a sports forum, how dare you? Without differing opinions we may as well be talking crochet.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I'm a Mizzou honk myself, but Gaines has a lot to do before he says he's better than Tru. Though I can say I hope he becomes better than Jenkins and Johnson combined, becomes our next shutdown corner and is with us for years and years, Sam too. Just so people understand that Mizzou is legit.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Ill definitely jump on board saying Gaines is more talented...but Tru has a much better physical package.

Either way, glad both are Rams.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I <3 this thread. Why? Because it makes legitimate... ish comparisons of young talent at our CB position. Having said that... I do think Tru is the truth, and in my drunken opinion, the best db on the squad. Lock it down EJ, and let this be a healthy OJT until TJ is healthy.

TGZ

Rookie
Name
Dylan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ill definitely jump on board saying Gaines is more talented...but Tru has a much better physical package.

Either way, glad both are Rams.

I would agree with everything here. Hope they both prosper here for a long time.

Penguin.

Rookie
Nah. EJ Gaines is great, but Trumaine and Janoris have the most physical talent. Trumaine is our best "cover" corner, and Janoris is our "playmaker" (he needs to make plays like he did in 2012). EJ will be a great replacement if Tru or Janoris go down, and I bet he can even play a little slot of safety.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I just want to see some solid CB play and EJ to develop in place of Tru. EJ could really help us in the long run by making the most out of his experience starting. P.S JJ quit peeking into the backfield.

iced

I think Tru has been a better corner than Janoris, at least last season

ViperLjs

Rookie
Tru has much more natural physical talent and ability. That being said, Gaines is the type of guy who maxes out his physical potential; he's a smart, instinctive player who rarely makes mistakes and is always around the ball. Tru can do things that Gaines simply can't, though.

ramsrams

UDFA
Luckily for the Rams, Johnson is out for the first quarter of the season.

He's just a slow starter. He was absolutely brutal in the initial part of the season last year. Even given Walton's schemes, he couldn't cover or tackle. He did improve. I'll cut him some slack, especially if the holding rule the NFL experimented with the Rams DB's last year becomes the norm.

Jenkins. Meh. No techique. Boom or bust. Selfish, in many respects. Heard he's matured, but that remains to be seen. Got the feet, but does he have it upstairs?

Prolly be mostly zone this year. I'd love to have one corner that could press and play man, but that's a scarce commodity.

Rams ain't done drafting CB's.