Tru signs franchise tag

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
Before you berate players for looking to get paid(that's all of them), you might consider the years they spent under very team friendly rookie contracts.

Aaron Donald, for instance, might be the most underpaid player in football. We should remember that in the near future, when people are complaining that the "selfish" Donald wants to be paid like a QB.

Firstly, I don't think my post was in any way berating Tru. I'm looking for balance, a fair contract for Tru and for the team. Tru damn well knows he is not worth 17 mil. He is the highest paid CB in the league now. Is it really wrong to suggest his agent sit down with the team and determine a fair value based on his play and league averages ? instead of forcing the team to pay you like the best CB in the NFL? If I were Tru I'd consider the fact that the Rams just brought in one of the absolute best D coordinators, realistic skill level (average to slightly better than average), and be reasonable with the team and get some long-term security, rather than run to the bank with an absurd 17 million.

I'm not as high on Tru as some and I hated that we picked him over Jenkins last year. Jenkins was always better than Tru and by a decent margin to me.

Donald and Tru should not be in the same conversation. We are talking about one of the most elite players in the NFL vs. an average CB.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I bet Tru signed that tag after those db's ran in today's combine. LOLOLOLOL

tempests

Hall of Fame
Firstly, I don't think my post was in any way berating Tru.

Some unkind words about the quality of his character.

I'm looking for balance, a fair contract for Tru and for the team.

That's what you're getting. I'll repeat my point; Tru outplayed his rookie contract, which I believe was 3 million for 4 years of work. Overall, for six seasons, the Rams paid Tru about 30 million. That's as balanced as you're going to get.

He is the highest paid CB in the league now.

And one of the lowest paid ones for four years before that. Let's not forget it.

Is it really wrong to suggest his agent sit down with the team and determine a fair value based on his play and league averages ?

Fair is in the eye of the beholder. I'd say 30 million over 6 years is fair enough.

If I were Tru I'd consider the fact that the Rams just brought in one of the absolute best D coordinators, realistic skill level (average to slightly better than average), and be reasonable with the team and get some long-term security, rather than run to the bank with an absurd 17 million.

You'd turn down 17 million and sign for far less? Not likely.

I'm not as high on Tru as some and I hated that we picked him over Jenkins last year. Jenkins was always better than Tru and by a decent margin to me.

We didn't pick him over Jenkins. The plan was to franchise one and sign the other. Jenkins recognized that the Rams weren't going to pay him market value, so he left.

Donald and Tru should not be in the same conversation. We are talking about one of the most elite players in the NFL vs. an average CB.

It's the same principle. When Donald gets injured or goes through an entire season with 3 sacks people will be bemoaning the fact the Rams made him the highest paid defender in NFL history, forgetting that he played for peanuts his first few seasons in the league.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes we still can sign him to a long term deal. Yes it's up to him if he's going to want 17m a year or if he understands his value and if he wants the Rams to be competitive. No the sky isn't falling and this doesn't ruin our free agency or draft.
So technically the Rams and Tru can agree to a long term deal prior to July 15th. Are they able to renegotiate the 2017 salary or is it required he make a guaranteed 16.7 in 2017? And the Cap hit as well?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So technically the Rams and Tru can agree to a long term deal prior to July 15th. Are they able to renegotiate the 2017 salary or is it required he make a guaranteed 16.7 in 2017? And the Cap hit as well?
I'm not entirely 100% write it in stone certain but my understanding is they can move some of his guaranteed back spread it over years. They can extend him just not reduce the amount of guaranteed from what the franchise tender is for. I think @flv might be able to answer this question better than me.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
If I read correctly. He was tendered because they are not sure he was a fit for Wade's scheme. So it's a prove it 1 year deal. So I doubt he will be signed long term until later in the season if at all. So he hurts the cap.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So it is possible that they could work something out. Probably not likely but if both sides were up for it they could find relief?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks for the explanation.
I cant imagine what his expectation would be if/when he kills it this year
12 mill per is heavy for a CB
He wont be anywhere near that

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yes we still can sign him to a long term deal. Yes it's up to him if he's going to want 17m a year or if he understands his value and if he wants the Rams to be competitive. No the sky isn't falling and this doesn't ruin our free agency or draft.
BUT!! He probably was advised to sign the offer sheet quickly, before the Rams withdrew the Offer, after watching the New Kids at the Combine!!(y);):LOL:

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Like Bradford Tru is not a elite player, but both are winning in the business of football.