Tru J

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Is he gonna get signed long term or what?

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
The deadline for a new deal is July 15th. Franchised players can't sign new deals past that date I'm sure.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I think they wait till next year, make sure he can stay healthy and is worth the big time money. Also there is a lot of talent at CB this so others might step up and show the team they can start too.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I think they wait till next year, make sure he can stay healthy and is worth the big time money..

I concur there are some positive variables here, Johnson played with secondary Coach Brandon Fisher at Montana and that was a factor for the Rams selecting Johnson. Plus he is bigger than Jenkins and plays the run better, but Johnson will have to showcase two things to earn top dollars next season.
  1. Durability....Johnson has had the tendency to get nicked up and miss time, can't do that if you want they type of money top CB's make.
  2. The ability to shut down the number 1 WR's consistently. Jenkins usually covered those guys so now Tru gets to showcase his ability week in and week out to shut down the number 1 options, which I believe he has the ability to do.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

i don't get it. good corners don't grow on trees so when you have one you don't let them go.

the price will only increase next offseason. josh norman has reset the pay scale for cbs. they will be able to sign tru cheaper this season then next.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi

i don't get it. good corners don't grow on trees so when you have one you don't let them go.

the price will only increase next offseason. josh norman has reset the pay scale for cbs. they will be able to sign tru cheaper this season then next.

I agree he would be cheaper now but he would still want top 5-7 CB money, and then what if we he does sign a multi year contract this offseason but misses time next season and Gaines, Joyner or Roberson step up and show they can be starters. No one thought Tru would have the year he did last year, he was awesome when he was on the field but I think the team is right in waiting out another season before writing him a big check. Brockers is a FA next season too and if he plays god this year that will be another tough decision.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

It's simple.

Keeping guys on their first contract with the new CBA is difficult. Testing the market is the smart thing for a player to do, and their agents are going to make sure of that. It doesn't mean they won't sign with their original team, and maybe even for less if they like the town/coach/chance to win.

But don't expect many guys to sign without seeing what they can get because free agency is where they get to cash in. And you can't blame them.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree he would be cheaper now but he would still want top 5-7 CB money, and then what if we he does sign a multi year contract this offseason but misses time next season and Gaines, Joyner or Roberson step up and show they can be starters. No one thought Tru would have the year he did last year, he was awesome when he was on the field but I think the team is right in waiting out another season before writing him a big check. Brockers is a FA next season too and if he plays god this year that will be another tough decision.

Until Gaines shows otherwise Tru is the best cb on the team and one of the best in the nfl. His numbers back that up. If they can get him for 12m or less per year it's a no brainer.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's simple.

Keeping guys on their first contract with the new CBA is difficult. Testing the market is the smart thing for a player to do, and their agents are going to make sure of that. It doesn't mean they won't sign with their original team, and maybe even for less if they like the town/coach/chance to win.

But don't expect many guys to sign without seeing what they can get because free agency is where they get to cash in. And you can't blame them.

Tru has already seen the fa numbers. His agent should have an idea of his worth. He can't expect Norman numbers but jj numbers will be what he's after.

It will only get more expensive next season.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Until Gaines shows otherwise Tru is the best cb on the team and one of the best in the nfl. His numbers back that up. If they can get him for 12m or less per year it's a no brainer.

I agree with you that TRU is the best CB on the team no doubt about it, but say they do your way and sign TRU to multi year deal, he underperforms or misses some time next year, Gaines and Joyner step up play good and show that they can be the starters, so now we have an underperforming TRU that's making 12-14 million a year, and Gaines and Joyner want more money too. It just isn't a smart business decision, you can just wait till next season and if he underperforms and the team thinks they can pay him less or move on and go with Gaines and Joyner. I love TRU but you don't need to be a top CB to play for this defense, they are built on pressure and if you can play D for a few seconds the job is done. That's why they spent money on Hayes and Barron over Jenkins. Brockers is the big issue here If he plays well this year he will be a wanted commodity and it would suck to lose anyone on that defensive line.

tempests

Hall of Fame
It just isn't a smart business decision, you can just wait till next season

Tru's currently on a one year deal. They would almost certainly have to franchise him again(16 million+ for 2017)

The only sound business decision is to lock him up now while they have the chance. Here's hoping the July 15 deadline acts as incentive for both sides.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Tru's currently on a one year deal. They would almost certainly have to franchise him again(16 million+ for 2017)

The only sound business decision is to lock him up now while they have the chance. Here's hoping the July 15 deadline acts as incentive for both sides.

And what if he underperforms this season or misses a lot of time like he did last year? Then you still have to pay him what he's worth now, and like I said you run into maybe losing Brockers. Same convo happened last year about signing Jenkins before his contract ran out and the team decided to move on because TRU played good and the others stepped up. I love TRU but he has had 1 good year and he still missed some time and I don't know about paying him top money before another season of proving himself.

tempests

Hall of Fame
And what if he underperforms this season or misses a lot of time like he did last year? Then you still have to pay him what he's worth now, and like I said you run into maybe losing Brockers. Same convo happened last year about signing Jenkins before his contract ran out and the team decided to move on because TRU played good and the others stepped up. I love TRU but he has had 1 good year and he still missed some time and I don't know about paying him top money before another season of proving himself.

What if he doesn't underperform. What if he's the same player in the same scheme where he led the NFC in interceptions last year?

Rams don't have the option of waiting another year. He'll be an UFA in 2017 and gone for sure.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tru has already seen the fa numbers. His agent should have an idea of his worth. He can't expect Norman numbers but jj numbers will be what he's after.

It will only get more expensive next season.

If he wants JJ money IMO he can walk.

upload_2016-7-9_8-50-39.png

I loved Rabbit as much as the next but there's no way I'd pay him or Tru that much money look at the people JJ is paid more than! Both are good corners but not that good. Keep drafting and developing DBs is going to be the trend with this team. They're going to spend money on the DLine. Each playoff caliber team has 3 or 4 high dollar contracts, it really depends on how much they pay their QB. We'll have Quinn and Donald on the DLine. I've seen the topic where people want to pay Tavon Austin big money to stay so there's 3. Tree, Brockers, TJ, Tru, Austin, and eventually Gurley and Goff. We're simply not going to be able to keep all of these guys if we over pay a couple of CB.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

And I'm of the opinion that Tru is already much better that Norman, except Norm has a much, much, much Bigger Mouth!!(y)

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think that the Rams are in an enviable position at CB, even after the loss of Jenkins.

Here's why...

It's still possible that the Rams could retain TruJo's services if they really want to. Either an extension before July 15 or after this season.

Let's don't forget that at this time last year Gaines was considered to be the better CB and more likely to be the starter opposite Jenkins. Gaines looks like a quality starter from my pre camp recliner chair.

This staff has demonstrated an amazing ability to identify and develop secondary talent. I have to believe that they can continue to do so, AND that they're pretty comfortable with their CB corps entering the '16 season.

Those above three things give me a peaceful feeling.

Don't get me wrong. I like TruJo, and I mean I like him a LOT. But he's not an absolute "must have" for '17. Certainly not in the sense of a Donald, Gurley, or Quinn, anyway.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame

I will be one sweating it out waiting for the Franchise Tag deadline to sign players expire on July 15th. (I would like to see him sign a 5 year deal because the value of tall above average corners in the pass happy NFL, are not easy to replace.) If Demoff gets creative like he's shown he very capable of doing, a contract for both sides can be agreed upon. Right now I see it as a 50/50 chance it gets done.

Hmmm to be a fly on the wall and hear Snead, Fisher and Demoff's debate/reason about Tru's value. I'm sure their insight and perception of his worth has been broken down in every possible tiny detail as to what type of player they think he is today and what his value and worth will be in the next 3 to 5 years for earning the paychecks him and his agent are bargaining for.

I would assume that our other tall corner that has been getting better every year... mr Marcus Roberson who will be up for a contract after this season, is also part of the Tru J discussions behind closed doors. EJ Gaines and M.Roberson could be the starting corners in 2017 but that is purely speculation as so many things can still happen.

#22 CB TRUMAINE JOHNSON 6'2 204 lbs
(Turns 27 on 01/01/2017) "FRANCHISE TAGGED"
4f489ca9672d3e7d8af0a8f889df920e57dfe5d493ef47e566d2397093a557be_large

Career... Total Tackles 206... Solo... 178... Int.. 15... Sacks.. 0

[profootballtalk.nbcsports.com] 03/01/2016
The Rams have made their decision between their free agent cornerbacks. And they picked the one with the agent at the moment. According to Albert Breer of the NFL Network, the Rams have chosen to use the franchise tag on Trumaine Johnson, guaranteeing him $13.952 million as soon as he signs. They can still do a long-termdeal between now and July 15.

[www.profootballfocus.com]
Johnson has more than matched Jenkins in terms of production—both on a per-snap basis and overall. Johnson has never allowed more than two touchdowns in a season; Jenkins has allowed at least five in each of his four years in the league. On 116 fewer targets over their four years in the league, Johnson has 15 interceptions to Jenkins’ 10.

For the duration of his career, Jenkins’ passer rating allowed is only just shy of 100 (99.5); in the same time frame, Johnson’s passer rating allowed is (67.1.) That mark is better than Josh Norman’s (72.1), Stephon Gilmore’s (84.1), and even Casey Hayward’s (70.2), the stars of the 2012 cornerback class.

When Jenkins was sidelined in Week 14 last season, it was Johnson who took center stage, earning the highest single-game grade of his career (+5.2), snagging an interception (a pick-six, no less) and a pass defense on five targets, while also cutting off Calvin Johnson on a double-move late in the fourth quarter, with the Rams protecting a two-score lead. If Los Angeles is looking for a corner to lead their secondary, Johnson’s career to date, and in particular, his performance since Week 9 of the 2014 season, suggest that he is the man to do it.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14903080/trumaine-johnson-accepts-franchise-tag-los-angeles-rams
March 4, 2016: Los Angeles Rams cornerback Trumaine Johnson has accepted the team's franchise tag, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The Rams placed their non-exclusive franchise tag worth $13.95 million on Johnson earlier this week, marking the first time since 2009 that they used the tag.

"Since we drafted Trumaine in 2012, he has developed into an integral part of our defense," general manager Les Snead said. "We look forward to having him with us this season and more to come."

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
a lot of ppl are making it seem like this is a choice for the rams which might not be the case. he might be asking for 13m+/yr with the thought in mind that he wants to hit FA and see what he can get. Being tagged over jenkins and seeing what jenkins got would make me think he wants more than jenkins which imo you can pay him after 1 good year