Tru could benefit from Jenkins contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...n-could-benefit-from-janoris-jenkins-contract

The Los Angeles Rams got some level of clarity when it comes to their future at cornerback when Janoris Jenkins bolted for the New York Giants and the Rams used the franchise tag on Trumaine Johnson.

For the long term, though, the Rams still have some things to figure out when it comes to the position. Coach Jeff Fisher hinted strongly at the owners meetings that the Rams would be looking at corners in this draft even after signing cornerback Coty Sensabaugh in free agency and getting E.J. Gaines back from injury.

That could be a way of finding a replacement for Jenkins but it also could be a fallback plan in case they can't or don't sign Johnson to an extension. On Wednesday, ESPN NFL Insider Mike Sando took a look at the ripple effect created by some of the big contracts handed out in free agency.

As Sando points out, Jenkins' mega-deal with the Giants actually could serve to set the bar for Johnson's next contract. Which means the Rams might have rolled the dice a bit by tagging Johnson instead of Jenkins.

Looking at it from Johnson's perspective, he just signed a one-year deal for nearly $14 million, which already sets a high bar for a contract. Factor in Jenkins' deal and the fact the Rams tagged Johnson over him and it would seem reasonable to ask for a contract that starts at or above what Jenkins got from New York.

Of course, there's a full season to play between now and next year's free agency. Fisher said in Boca Raton, Florida, that the Rams are hoping to get a deal done with Johnson sooner than later. But it might be more prudent to see him prove capable of handling the No. 1 corner job for a full season before giving him that type of cash.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
What pops into my small brain in the recent contract issues between the Rams & its two starting 2015 CB's & the Org......was the sizable price to keep them .......Snead & Fisher will have numerous CB's on their minds with each round of our 6 draft picks all three days. Would not surprise me if we draft two.

Last edited:

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Just give him the same deal that Jenkins got, and call it a day. It will save us money this year, and he can't possibly be unhappy with those kind of dollars.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Going into 2015, nobody would have put Johnson in that contract category. Does he want to bet on himself (play on the tag) to get Jenkins numbers? Or a sure thing (extension) at something less?

He's never had the pressure of being #1. He's not exactly been the healthiest player.

If I'm the Rams, I hold firm. Sign for less, or play on the tag.

If I'm Johnson, I sign the sure thing at something less.

I like Johnson, but I can't say I am 100% sold he'll play up to Jenkins contract. Frig, Jenkins won't play up to that contract.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
What pops into my small brain in the recent contract issues between the Rams & its two starting 2015 CB's & the Org......was the sizable price to keep them .......Snead & Fisher will have numerous CB's on their minds with each round of our 6 draft picks all three days. Would not surprise me if we draft two.
Fisher has always maintained that " ... You can never have too many CB's and Safties! ... "

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The funny thing is - I could benefit from Jenkins' contract too. Heck, I'll be generous - pay me half of it, and I'll be happy. Granted, I would go out with a season ending injury the first day of OTAs, but still . . .

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Maybe now Snead won't let our young stars get to free agency and extend them accordingly.

Rams43

Hall of Fame

Drafting 2 CB's would absolutely stun me, Bonifay.

Given our situations at QB, WR, and pass catching TE?

And with only 6 total picks to work with?

I see maybe one CB drafted but several brought in as UDFA's.

We've got our '16 starters, already. Any new CB's would be for depth.

A new QB could be a second half of season starter, and the new WR and TE could be opening day starters.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Maybe now Snead won't let our young stars get to free agency and extend them accordingly.

To be fair, JUMA, they were trying to extend both Jenkins and TruJo for at least a full year.

Both players and their agents chose to gamble on good years, good health, and the growing cap total.

Both players won their parlays. Hard to blame Demoff, if you ask me.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Drafting 2 CB's would absolutely stun me, Bonifay.

Given our situations at QB, WR, and pass catching TE?

And with only 6 total picks to work with?

I see maybe one CB drafted but several brought in as UDFA's.

We've got our '16 starters, already. Any new CB's would be for depth.

A new QB could be a second half of season starter, and the new WR and TE could be opening day starters.

I feel pretty sure that a CB will be selected at some point.... not for a current need but in order to put the Rams in a good position next year when it would be a future large looming need. That looming need is Rams have 2 CB's entering FA'cy next March (their top CB & top reserve CB) & we have a current opening @ safety which could be filled by a corner.

The good TE prospects are few as you & I know..... I could see a trade down scenario in the first in order to beef up our selections on the Biggest day of the draft "Day Two". A 1st round trade down might be done for that top TE Hunter Henry or one of those top WR's. "Day Two" is the day we should see a new CB arrive. Not sure we see a QB being drafted the first two days of this draft. I can see them going with the four we have now under contract & wait till the next 2017 draft.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I feel pretty sure that a CB will be selected at some point.... not for a current need but in order to put the Rams in a good position next year when it would be a future large looming need. That looming need is Rams have 2 CB's entering FA'cy next March (their top CB & top reserve CB) & we have a current opening @ safety which could be filled by a corner.

The good TE prospects are few as you & I know..... I could see a trade down scenario in the first in order to beef up our selections on the Biggest day of the draft "Day Two". A 1st round trade down might be done for that top TE Hunter Henry or one of those top WR's. "Day Two" is the day we should see a new CB arrive. Not sure we see a QB being drafted the first two days of this draft. I can see them going with the four we have now under contract & wait till the next 2017 draft.

I can see a CB drafted for depth and development, Bonifay. But not 2, as you said previously.

As to QB, I have a different take. It's Job One this offseason. They will draft our new future QB starter in the 1st round this year, one way or another. Somewhere between #6 and #15, probably. Wentz, Goff, Lynch, or Cook. One of them will be a Ram by end of Day One.

There was no serious offseason effort to trade for a QB, nor to sign a FA. They clearly had decided to get their promised QB in the draft. And I seriously doubt that they plan on "settling" for a QB again. Not anymore.

There are some fine WR's that will be available in the 2nd. WR's than can be really effective. Hope Shepard falls to us there, but there are others, too.

Our pass catching TE will be found somewhere in rounds 2-4.

This is a staff that can find and develop a CB from the mid rounds on. They've already done so several times.

BTW, other than TruJo, which CB enters FA next year?

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
To be fair, JUMA, they were trying to extend both Jenkins and TruJo for at least a full year.

Both players and their agents chose to gamble on good years, good health, and the growing cap total.

Both players won their parlays. Hard to blame Demoff, if you ask me.

Idk if they tried hard enough when you have almost your entire secondary going to free agency. Surely one of those players would have signed if the front office was adamant about it.I think only Jenks gambled on himself Tru was coming off an injury but I could be wrong.