Troy Hill gets some love from PFF

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Hill-Named-PFF-Top-Five-Cornerback-for-Wild-Card-Weekend/944f282a-d742-4288-b514-f4090cfa149b

Hill Named PFF Top-Five Cornerback for Wild Card Weekend
Kristen Lago

Hill.jpg

Saturday’s Wild Card contest against the Falcons did not end in a Rams victory, but cornerback Troy Hill has still been recognized for his performance in the contest.

The Oregon product has showcased steady improvement since Week 14 — when he began starting in place of the injured Kayvon Webster — and continued to perform at a high level on Saturday. Hill did not allow a single reception on five targets against the Falcons and recorded a team-leading three pass deflections.

View: https://twitter.com/PFF/status/949865385398099968?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.therams.com%2Fnews-and-events%2Farticle-1%2FHill-Named-PFF-Top-Five-Cornerback-for-Wild-Card-Weekend%2F944f282a-d742-4288-b514-f4090cfa149b

“For Troy to be able to step up, even going back to the Seattle game, I thought really represented where you see him getting his hands on the ball, making a lot of plays,” head coach Sean McVay said of Hill’s development. “You could see his confidence grow.”

Hill’s performance was enough to give him a 91.7 overall grade by Pro Football Focus and earn him a spot as one of the top five cornerbacks of the week in passing coverage.

Including his Wild Card performance, Hill has been a solid contributor for the Rams defense down the stretch. And McVay said that he has continued to see the cornerback’s confidence grow with the added experience.

“Troy's a great competitor,” McVay said. “He's got great short-space quickness, lateral agility, good body control and I thought it was good for him to be able to end the year the way that he did. That should give him a lot of confidence going into the off season."

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Mah Oregon boy getting his shot. Hope he keeps it going. I loved him as a Duck (on the field anyway).

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Troy Hill, will develop and will be our closer. I think he is going to be special.

WestCoastRam

Legend
If we somehow are able to sign Tru, I don't necessarily see a reason why we would need to go cornerback in the draft. I think Hill has at least shown he can be a solid number 2 down the stretch. And we have Webster coming back (though you never know with CB's and injury).

Ram65

Legend
Rams need that kind of play from Hill in 2018 and beyond. Keep your head straight Troy!

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I remember this kid replacing Sensabaugh in 2016 when he was blowing coverage consistently; Hill developed nicely since

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Does seem that CB Troy Hill ended the season on a roll as the most improved DB this season. TH started the last 4 games of the season. There is a reason for the high PPF scores. Some sites have Troy listed as a ERFA & some RFA. I am thinking this soon to be 27 yr old ( not all that young) It has taken a bit longer for his brain to grow in. will be a RFA in March & is sure to get a solid 2nd rd tender & end up with a 2 yr contract. Hard not to be excited about this former UDFA. He has a chance to end up with a starting post next season with the unknown injury status of Kayvon Webster along with both Trumaine & NR-C being UFA's. If Troy signs the tender he will be our till the end of the 2019 season and a UFA in 2020.
https://overthecap.com/player/troy-hill/4462/

CB Kevin Peterson
had a few good games too his first start in the NFL may have been one of the best games by a first yr CB all season. I don't recall much of him in the post season game.KP was another UDFA that Snead team brought in here & he has stuck. He is under contract till March of 2019 when he will be a RFA. KP should follow the same path as Troy Hill. KP stands a good chance to be a Ram till 2021.
https://overthecap.com/player/kevin-peterson/5388/

The final CB that the Rams have signed is CB Dom Hatfield. Dom was active a good part of the season & was on he 53 player roster but was beat out by KP when he was negated to the Practice Squad. His contract is the same as KP & looks to be here unless cut at a econo price until 2021.
https://overthecap.com/player/dominique-hatfield/6301/

The Ram corner depth appears very good at the moment but they need to land two starters either in free agency or the draft.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
He really stepped up and I'm thinking he's going to stay around a be a real contributor for us.

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
If we somehow are able to sign Tru, I don't necessarily see a reason why we would need to go cornerback in the draft. I think Hill has at least shown he can be a solid number 2 down the stretch. And we have Webster coming back (though you never know with CB's and injury).
Even if the Rams resign Tru I wouldn’t mind seeing another CB added to the team. I think there is definitely talent in the CB core, but Kayvon’s health and play has me a little worried. I still think he is a decent CB, but I think the Rams could afford to add another CB, in addition to retaining their other FA CBs. I want the Rams secondary to be a strength of this team.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Ideal situation is Hill as the 4th CB and first man up in the event of injury. That said, if Wade really likes him, then lock him up early with a multi-year deal. You cannot have enough corners.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Ideal situation is Hill as the 4th CB and first man up in the event of injury. That said, if Wade really likes him, then lock him up early with a multi-year deal. You cannot have enough corners.
OK who do you see as #1, #2, & #3 corners then? I know that Kayvon Webster is in that bunch but he is questionable as being ready to play when the season begins.

Troy Hill can be an easy sign for the 2018 & 2019 seasons @ a very low cost contract due to Troy Hill being a RFA. The normal cost of these type contracts would be a two year, $3 million amount. Now having a player like Troy Hill playing for such a low cost makes his value to this team Very HIGH! Kevin Demoff best friend :D

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Hill was a pleasant surprise. Kinda like EJ Gaines was. But if we go into the season with him and Webster as starters we will have taken a step back at the position. We either need to sign Tru Johnson or sign someone comparable in free agency. That would give them depth at a position that was once thin.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Remember that these Scouts have found all of these UDFA's and lower round draft picks like Gaines.

They seem to be able to scout the hell out of defensive backs.
Apparently that's what they are best at.

Let's see if they can find us a good starter or strong role player DB in the third.

However..... they have to go best NT, ILB CB in the first round with a concentration on being able to stop the run better.

Last edited:

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
I am the biggest believer on this forum that TJ is a VERY good NFL cornerback.

At the same time I wouldn't be completely against letting him go. That money could be better spent elsewhere.

Sign a defensive lineman with TJs money instead and between Hill, NRC, Webster, and a free agent or high draft pick we should be ok at cornerback.

nighttrain

Legend
I am the biggest believer on this forum that TJ is a VERY good NFL cornerback.

At the same time I wouldn't be completely against letting him go. That money could be better spent elsewhere.

Sign a defensive lineman with TJs money instead and between Hill, NRC, Webster, and a free agent or high draft pick we should be ok at cornerback.
Before we cast off Trujo i'd rather the Rams FO makes an adjustment of the inordinate amounts we are paying the line backing corps. The money being spent = excellence, not getting it in any way shape or form
train

Last edited: