Tron's midseason Mock draft v1.0

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

V3

Hall of Fame
A DT i really liked just as much was Ra'Shede Hageman, that guy is a beast, and it was basically a coin flip for who to take. He is probably more your cup of tea for a first round DT. Like him a lot, and has a background story like Michael Oher.

I like Clowney, but see no need for him, as like you said we are woefully thin at other positions.

Yeah, Clowney is a bit of a luxury pick but it's hard to pass up on players of his caliber. I would be just as happy with the top CB and top S in the draft.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That wouldn't make a difference for me. It's not that they're in a row. I just don't think LB is that big of a need. I'd like to see us re-sign Dunbar. I would rather not draft a 2-down LB in the first 3 rounds unless we're getting a guy that can rush the passer in nickel sets. Because Ogletree and Laurinaitis aren't coming off the field.

As far as CB, there is a need there...not a huge one imo...but if there's one that is excellent value...I'd take him in the first few rounds.

And I'd take an LB if there's one with excellent value.

But...I just think there might be better value(i.e. comparably ranked players at positions of bigger needs) than Perryman and Verrett. That all said, I don't dislike the players you picked so I can't dislike the draft. :D

Understandable with the Lb position, I like Dunbar and what he brings to the table, I just have a major man crush on Perryman i guess, and think he could be an upgrade over Dunbar and could be a replacement for JLau at some point.

As for CB, Finnegan has played horrible for most of the year, and unless he beasts is up the rest of the season, we need someone to replace him.

Glad you cant dislike my draft :)

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Yeah, Clowney is a bit of a luxury pick but it's hard to pass up on players of his caliber. I would be just as happy with the top CB and top S in the draft.

I'd be fine with that as well, but still not sold on Clinton-Dix.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Understandable with the Lb position, I like Dunbar and what he brings to the table, I just have a major man crush on Perryman i guess, and think he could be an upgrade over Dunbar and could be a replacement for JLau at some point.

As for CB, Finnegan has played horrible for most of the year, and unless he beasts is up the rest of the season, we need someone to replace him.

Glad you cant dislike my draft :)

Yea, Finnegan has but I think Trumaine and Janoris can handle outside CB duties...especially if we let them play tighter.

And McLeod has been solid in the slot. A couple guys I really like because of their versatility are Lamarcus Joyner of FSU and Antone Exum of VT.

Agreed. I couldn't pass on Clowney. I know we have Long and Quinn but you could trade Long or release him after Clowney's rookie year. It would be like passing on Calvin Johnson because you have Vincent Jackson. Yea, it's not a need but that's just too much freakishness to let slip away.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
And McLeod has been solid in the slot. A couple guys I really like because of their versatility are Lamarcus Joyner of FSU and Antone Exum of VT.

I like Exum as well, can play both safety and CB and is really good at both.

V3

Hall of Fame
I'd be fine with that as well, but still not sold on Clinton-Dix.

I'm not going to form my opinion on any safeties yet but I feel that in order to be an elite team, you pretty much have to have a top caliber safety on the team. It's a major need, IMO.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
That wouldn't make a difference for me. It's not that they're in a row. I just don't think LB is that big of a need. I'd like to see us re-sign Dunbar. I would rather not draft a 2-down LB in the first 3 rounds unless we're getting a guy that can rush the passer in nickel sets. Because Ogletree and Laurinaitis aren't coming off the field.

As far as CB, there is a need there...not a huge one imo...but if there's one that is excellent value...I'd take him in the first few rounds.

And I'd take an LB if there's one with excellent value.

But...I just think there might be better value(i.e. comparably ranked players at positions of bigger needs) than Perryman and Verrett. That all said, I don't dislike the players you picked so I can't dislike the draft. :D
I tend to agree here. I think you would get better "value" with a WR at the spot you took the LB. Otherwise ... .and I'm not saying I know everything about each player you took .... I do think you hit all the needs pretty well.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I'm not going to form my opinion on any safeties yet but I feel that in order to be an elite team, you pretty much have to have a top caliber safety on the team. It's a major need, IMO.

I agree, and from what i have seen from Pryor, he can be that guy. Like i said and have read, if he stays in school and continues to progress he could be a 1st round prospect in next years draft and maybe the top safety. Clinton-Dix is good, but i don't view him as top-caliber safety. When i think of first round safeties, i think of Ed Reed, Earl Thomas, Troy Palamalu. Clinton-Dix is not even close to there levels when they came out. He is not that difference maker that we need. But that is just my opinion and i am not a scout in any way or form, just going off my own judgement of him from what i have seen.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I tend to agree here. I think you would get better "value" with a WR at the spot you took the LB. Otherwise ... .and I'm not saying I know everything about each player you took .... I do think you hit all the needs pretty well.

Understandable. I had a hard time not drafting Odell Beckham Jr. in the 2nd, but i just have such a big man crush on Perryman i had to take him.

And ty for the kind words, i always to try to fill the teams need as best possible.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I find it difficult to get into draft talk... but I gotta give serious props to the effort.

We got some great members who know the college talent.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I find it difficult to get into draft talk... but I gotta give serious props to the effort.

We got some great members who know the college talent.

Understandable finding it difficult to get into draft talk, i used to be the same way 5 years ago, but over the passed few years have just really got into it.

Thanks for the big props CGI!!! Last year i actually wrote like 3 paragraphs for each prospect lol, but this year just decided to find some good articles on them instead.

fearsomefour

Legend
I think there will be a run on qb's/ot's and a few other top players and Nix can be had while still trading back a few spots. Glad you like Keeton!!!! i think he can be something special.

I agree with the run on QBs and OTs. But, I dont think Nix will make it past Pittsburgh. He seems like a perfect NT for them. An ideal situation for me would be having a high enough pick to trade down with someone just itching to over pay for a QB and then still landing Nix. Those first four picks, I want a DT, CB and Olineman. That isent too much to ask?

F. Mulder

Starter
I look forward to hearing with guys much smarter than me have to say about who they like and why but for now I DO hope that the positions of weaknesses and strengths become much clearer by the end of the year.

Right now I expect 2-3 new OL. Saffold is gone, I have doubts about Dahl, Williams?, even Wells. Is Barksdale a starter. I expect one of those vacancies to be filled by Jones. If Williams goes is it S. Smith?. Or does Smith fill in for Dahl? Is Smith even really in the cards? If Saffold is gone they have no real 3rd Tackle. If Wells goes is it Jones? I think they need at least a Guard and Tackle.

I'm torn on the WR position. IF there is a stud I'm always for explosive guys who make you better immediately. Austin isn't going anywhere. Givens has struggled to me. Quick is an enigma still, we don't know about Bailey, and Pettis is my Brandon Gibson. They point is that IF Quick and Givens "find" it and Bailey can play a contributing role than they are set. But IF they decide to give up on Quick/and/or Givens then by all means.

They obviously need a young backup QB but I think Bradford stays and they look for someone in the 3rd-4th area.

Defensively I think a better rotational DT. Maybe a strong side LB although they don't play much and I'm fine with Dunbar if they go that route.

CB you have to look at Finnegan. Can they play with Jenkins, Tru, and Mcleod? Safety is a disaster. McDonald has a chance but Stewart is horrible and McCleod is at best a backup.

I'm hoping some of these players can answer the needs one way or the other come end of season.

duckhunter

Starter
You got some tough SOBs. So I like it.

Nix depends on the severity of his injury. So we'll have to wait on that development.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Not bad Tron. Currently the Rams have the 9th & 11th selections in the first round. Sad to say in one respect but I really believe that these two first round picks will even be higher by the end of this season. I am thinking with the Rams pick more around #5 to #6 range with the Skins landing around #9 to #10.

You know me I lean naturally heavy on linemen both sides. With so many teams desiring QB's like the Bucs, Jags, Texans & the Vikings. There could be a very early fight over the top three #1 -a's of Bridgewater- Mariota & Manziel then the next three #1-b's Mettenberger- Hundley & Carr. Rams should easily get some trade action off our first ...first round selection and or the second first round selection or the best of both worlds get QB action trade off of both!!!

The Browns & Cards might desire a trade up. Thus some very good talent could drop into our laps too. But agree with you trade but if I am trading out of the top 10 to the lower third of the draft its going to demand a #2 pick plus on both. Thus providing us with 2 late first rounders & three second selections would sure help but not if we are selecting more non starters like Pead, Quick & Avery like players with these second rounders.

If I had two first round selections in the top 10...I would trade them if no takers then I would not select NT Nix nor CB Verrett with them. With my first pick I would take a DE Clowney, ORT Mathews or LB Barr. My second first pick would be WR Watkins, ORT Cyrus Kouandjio or LB C.J. Mosley.

Thus Rams get preference by order...
1-a DE Clowney & 1-b OT Kouandjio or
1-a OT Mathews & 1-b CJ Mosley or
1-a LB Barr & 1-b WR Watkins

Clowney selection gives Rams some play in the monstrous contract of DE Chris Long & the issues it brings in trying to resign Robert Quinn. OT's Mathews & Kouandjio can easily take up the important swing OT position so Snead can concentrate on the big issues @ OG positions in day two of the draft. Kousandjio could also start @ OLG now for the Rams too if need be. The drafting of either LB'er Barr or Mosley also provides Snead the same relief in the also heavy burden cap hit that the JL contract drains. I would hope that a safety & CB would fall into the Rams laps on day two.

I am with you Tron on trading those first round picks but I will demand a heavy price tag for them otherwise I go for the talent!

fancents86

Starter
whoa whoa whoa... so you wanna get rid of Long and Quinn and go for some kid who isnt proven???? Clowney has been getting gased this whole season, Quinn has been destroying qbs all season and Long has been doing great as well, not sure why you would give up two of the best players on the team for a rookie?

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I agree with the run on QBs and OTs. But, I dont think Nix will make it past Pittsburgh. He seems like a perfect NT for them. An ideal situation for me would be having a high enough pick to trade down with someone just itching to over pay for a QB and then still landing Nix. Those first four picks, I want a DT, CB and Olineman. That isent too much to ask?

Well hopefully Pittsburgh doesn't grab him then lol. And yes, yes it is to much to ask!!!!!!!!! well not really, ill allow it.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I look forward to hearing with guys much smarter than me have to say about who they like and why but for now I DO hope that the positions of weaknesses and strengths become much clearer by the end of the year.

Right now I expect 2-3 new OL. Saffold is gone, I have doubts about Dahl, Williams?, even Wells. Is Barksdale a starter. I expect one of those vacancies to be filled by Jones. If Williams goes is it S. Smith?. Or does Smith fill in for Dahl? Is Smith even really in the cards? If Saffold is gone they have no real 3rd Tackle. If Wells goes is it Jones? I think they need at least a Guard and Tackle.

I'm torn on the WR position. IF there is a stud I'm always for explosive guys who make you better immediately. Austin isn't going anywhere. Givens has struggled to me. Quick is an enigma still, we don't know about Bailey, and Pettis is my Brandon Gibson. They point is that IF Quick and Givens "find" it and Bailey can play a contributing role than they are set. But IF they decide to give up on Quick/and/or Givens then by all means.

They obviously need a young backup QB but I think Bradford stays and they look for someone in the 3rd-4th area.

Defensively I think a better rotational DT. Maybe a strong side LB although they don't play much and I'm fine with Dunbar if they go that route.

CB you have to look at Finnegan. Can they play with Jenkins, Tru, and Mcleod? Safety is a disaster. McDonald has a chance but Stewart is horrible and McCleod is at best a backup.

I'm hoping some of these players can answer the needs one way or the other come end of season.
Make a lot of good points Mulder. Hard to argue against them.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Not bad Tron. Currently the Rams have the 9th & 11th selections in the first round. Sad to say in one respect but I really believe that these two first round picks will even be higher by the end of this season. I am thinking with the Rams pick more around #5 to #6 range with the Skins landing around #9 to #10.

You know me I lean naturally heavy on linemen both sides. With so many teams desiring QB's like the Bucs, Jags, Texans & the Vikings. There could be a very early fight over the top three #1 -a's of Bridgewater- Mariota & Manziel then the next three #1-b's Mettenberger- Hundley & Carr. Rams should easily get some trade action off our first ...first round selection and or the second first round selection or the best of both worlds get QB action trade off of both!!!

The Browns & Cards might desire a trade up. Thus some very good talent could drop into our laps too. But agree with you trade but if I am trading out of the top 10 to the lower third of the draft its going to demand a #2 pick plus on both. Thus providing us with 2 late first rounders & three second selections would sure help but not if we are selecting more non starters like Pead, Quick & Avery like players with these second rounders.

If I had two first round selections in the top 10...I would trade them if no takers then I would not select NT Nix nor CB Verrett with them. With my first pick I would take a DE Clowney, ORT Mathews or LB Barr. My second first pick would be WR Watkins, ORT Cyrus Kouandjio or LB C.J. Mosley.

Thus Rams get preference by order...
1-a DE Clowney & 1-b OT Kouandjio or
1-a OT Mathews & 1-b CJ Mosley or
1-a LB Barr & 1-b WR Watkins

Clowney selection gives Rams some play in the monstrous contract of DE Chris Long & the issues it brings in trying to resign Robert Quinn. OT's Mathews & Kouandjio can easily take up the important swing OT position so Snead can concentrate on the big issues @ OG positions in day two of the draft. Kousandjio could also start @ OLG now for the Rams too if need be. The drafting of either LB'er Barr or Mosley also provides Snead the same relief in the also heavy burden cap hit that the JL contract drains. I would hope that a safety & CB would fall into the Rams laps on day two.

I am with you Tron on trading those first round picks but I will demand a heavy price tag for them otherwise I go for the talent!

If we can get a 2nd or more im all for it of course.
Understand why you want Clowney vs. Longs contract, but i rather have Long the known commodity personally. I don't see us taking a Tackle in the first, just based off Fishers history, but if it did happen finally, i would be fine with it.