Trio of rookies boosts competition for Rams RB spot/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Trio of rookies boosts competition for Rams RB spot
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_5c0e7091-9607-5506-97b5-f963416f1e3a.html

The Rams caught some by surprise when they used the 10th pick in the NFL draft to select University of Georgia standout Todd Gurley.

Coming off November knee surgery, Gurley is patiently and diligently working his rehab program these days as his teammates go through organized team activities (OTAs) at Rams Park. But even without Gurley, the competition at running back figures to be stiff as the Rams work toward training camp and eventually settling on a 53-man roster.

Tre Mason, who ran for 765 yards and scored five touchdowns in 12 games as a rookie last year, figures to see the bulk of the carries until Gurley is 100 percent. Also back is third-year pro Benny Cunningham, who scored four times while rushing for 246 yards, catching 45 passes for 352 yards and leading the team in kickoff returns, averaging 27.5 yards.

During the draft, the Rams traded 2013 rushing leader Zac Stacy to the New York Jets.

The other returning backs on the roster are special teams leader Chase Reynolds, 2012 second-round draft pick Isaiah Pead and second-year pro Trey Watts, who showed some promise after being signed as an undrafted free agent.

But Pead is is coming off surgery for an ACL injury suffered early in last year’s preseason and Watts has been suspended for the first four games of 2015 for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy.

That leaves an intriguing trio of undrafted rookie free agents: Malcom Brown from Texas, Terrence Franks from Texas State and fullback Zach Laskey from Georgia Tech.

One of the nation’s more heralded backs coming out of high school in suburban San Antonio, Brown never quite lived up to expectations with the Longhorns, but he still managed to put together a solid career. He scored 27 touchdowns, and his 2,678 career yards rank ninth all-time for the Longhorns.

Brown’s career was slowed by injury early and by the Longhorns’ depth during his junior and senior seasons.

“It was a situation that was pretty similar to what we have here; lots of good, young backs looking for carries,” the 21-year-old said. “It just comes down to working hard every day and making sure that you make the most of the opportunities you get.”

Brown, who stands 5 feet 11 and weighs 224 pounds, is a physical downhill runner who’s known for getting yards after contact. He enjoyed his best college season as a junior in 2013, when he rushed for 904 yards, caught 17 passes for 195 yards and scored 11 times. That season, he had five 100-yard rushing games.

“I’m thankful for the opportunity the Rams have given me and I’m going to try and contribute any way I can,” Brown said. “I realize that special teams will be huge for me. I have to show the coaches what I can do and try to make the most of every single rep.”

At Texas, Brown worked with three different offensive coordinators.

“That’s kind of a blessing in disguise now because I’m able to adjust quickly,” he said. “The big difference here is that everything’s done a lot faster, so you really have to be ready to go with the flow.”

While Brown was courted by virtually every major college program in the nation, Franks accepted the one Division I offer he received and ended up at Texas State in San Marcos.

The Houston-area product finished his college career with 2,045 yards and 24 touchdowns while averaging 5.7 yards a carry. His best season came as a freshman in 2011, when he ran for 863 yards and scored nine times.

The 5-9, 203-pounder rushed for 712 yards and scored 11 times last fall and enjoyed a career day against Idaho. Scoring on runs of 95, 70 and 70 yards, Franks had 284 yards on just 15 carries to lead the Bobcats in a 35-30 win over the Vandals.

“I’m a speed back,” said Franks, 22, who was clocked at 4.3 in the 40 during college. “And I’ve also had some experience on special teams: kick return, punt return, gunner. I just have to keep working and grinding every day. The NFL’s all about competition and I’m looking to work my way up.”

In the NFL these days, true fullbacks are a dying breed, and Laskey would seem to have his hands full with the Rams, who like to use tight ends Cory Harkey and Lance Kendricks as blockers out of the backfield. But Laskey (6-2, 225) doesn’t appear to be your typical fullback. In four seasons with the Ramblin’ Wreck, he rushed for 2,033 yards, including 851 last fall, and scored 17 touchdowns. As a receiver, the 22-year-old averaged 15 yards a catch and scored four TDs in his career.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Does anyone think the FB Laskey, makes the team, and does he have the ability to play on Sundays as our FB?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Does anyone think the FB Laskey, makes the team, and does he have the ability to play on Sundays as our FB?
No idea, but I do wish we had another Madison Hedgecock or James Hodgins.
Something about that fullback blowing up defenders, man. I miss those days.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Jackson loved running behind a FB.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
X I'm w/ you watching a FB seal the edge or decleat a DB gets me jacked up. Can't wait to see some double TE plays and watching Gurley do his thing. Appears to be a special time for us Rams fans. Even more so if you enjoy running it down their throats. #smashBallFootball

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Barring injury preseason should be fun watching the likes of Pead, Brown, Laskey & maybe we'll actually see Chase Reynolds run the football. I don't expect much from the Diary of Terrence Franks as he's the same size as some so we'll see how it plays out because Gurley, Mason & Cunningham are givens and not Chris Givens.

nighttrain

Legend
a hard running FB in front of Gurley could blast a huge running lane
train

Last edited:

ztoben

Professional NFL Couch Analyst
Name
ztoben

What about Harkey? That guy can lay the wood

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I think he could be a Marcel Reese type of full back. Better as a receiver and runner than a blocker, but still a solid blocker. Gives versatility to the offense.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
RBs Making Each Other Better
By Austin Lankford

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/RBs-Making-Each-Other-Better/b1465f1e-33e0-44ef-9b55-a93002ef09aa

The Rams’ first week of Organized Team Activities is in the books and among all the offseason adjustments, the running attack remains a key storyline heading further into June.

Todd Gurley’s name has entered this conversation as he waits to be cleared to go full speed. He was on the field last week, cleats laced up and ball in hand, but not running plays with the offense quite yet. Head coach Jeff Fisher mentioned after Thursday’s practice that Gurley is getting anxious.

“I am man, you know how it is sitting out for a long time. But you got to be patient,” said the 10th overall pick in the 2015 draft. “I feel good I just can’t play football right now. But you all see me running around a little bit and doing agility stuff. It’s day by day, just being able to get my rehab out during practice when they are doing individuals, and when the team stuff comes I get those mental reps.”

Tre Mason, entering his second year as a Ram, returns to the club after finishing the 2014 campaign second among rookie rushers totaling 765 yards at 4.27 per carry. Mason and Gurley spent their college days as rivals in the SEC, but knew each other fairly well during that time.

“I texted him during the draft and said don’t let any of that change, we always were cool and we even texted before the draft,” Mason said. “I’m happy he’s here now, and now we’ve got to win a championship.”

There is no set timeline for Gurley’s return and while he waits for the green light to hit the field full force, the Rams have a number of backs who have hit the ground running.

Mason’s not a veteran by league standards, but he did get the most touches at running back last year and is coming into 2015 with confidence.

“I feel a lot more comfortable and I know what to expect,” Mason said. “They brought me here to do that job. They have me here to run the football and catch the football and I am also trying to come back as a leader.”

Third-year running back Benny Cunningham returns to the Rams with the same mentality.

“I’m trying to be a leader with my work ethic, not really as far as stepping in front of the team and talking, but just going out and letting people see how I work,” Cunningham said. “Hopefully guys will see how I work and step up to the challenge.”

Strong leadership in the backfield is a necessity in the NFL and with quarterback Nick Foles becoming more comfortable each day, the running backs unit has taken notice.

“Nick is someone with a great attitude. You can tell he’s willing to work and willing to listen and make adjustments,” Cunningham said. “I feel like with any team with a new quarterback, we are just trying to mesh right now, trying to get a flow with each other on routes and play actions and things like that. The progression has been pretty good so far. I’m excited to see what he brings to the table during the season and games.”

While OTAs are no doubt a chance to become familiar with new teammates and the offense, it is also the beginning of a summer-long battle for spots on the depth chart.

Cunningham said at this point the group is really trying to push one another amid the competition and that they motivate each other to be the best they can be.

“We can only control what we can control, which is what we do on the field against the defense,” Mason said. “None of us call the shots, so hopefully it works out where everyone can be successful.”

FrankenRam

Starter
Barring injury preseason should be fun watching the likes of Pead, Brown, Laskey & maybe we'll actually see Chase Reynolds run the football. I don't expect much from the Diary of Terrence Franks as he's the same size as some so we'll see how it plays out because Gurley, Mason & Cunningham are givens and not Chris Givens.

I'm not quite as sure about Cunningham as you. He's been good. But if Franks has true 4.3 speed, I could see that being a plus on his ledger..... especially *IF* he can put that to use on ST.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm not quite as sure about Cunningham as you. He's been good. But if Franks has true 4.3 speed, I could see that being a plus on his ledger..... especially *IF* he can put that to use on ST.

Don't know much about Franks, but Cunningham does many things well and IMO, he's only scratched the surface. But I'll play, if Franks has that kind of speed I'm all in plus I was a fan of you cereal @FrankenRam !
139_7701_ucp.jpg

FrankenRam

Starter
Don't know much about Franks, but Cunningham does many things well and IMO, he's only scratched the surface. But I'll play, if Franks has that kind of speed I'm all in plus I was a fan of you cereal @FrankenRam !
139_7701_ucp.jpg

I know diddly about Franks, but when I saw 4.3 listed as his speed, it did catch my eye and made me think kickoff returns. Of course, I don't know if '4.3' means 4.30 or 4.39. Big diff.

Agreed Cunningham does many things well, and I'd be a little surprised if Franks or any of the rooks took his job, but only a little.

And LOL! re: the cereal...that never was my thing, but I should adopt it for the forum here. :)