Trinca-Pasat gets opportunity with the Rams/Latsch

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
So Ram wanting more mass:
Westbrook is the guy I want to see bulk up.6'4 & from small Uni ..He is quick as heck & can be a total stud as a 304# DT.
Are we sure we want him to bulk up? That bulk never comes without a price and is taking away some of his quickness a very high price? I don't think he's going to be on the field on many running downs. Unless you think he's capable of becoming a 3 down DE. Do you?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
For starters, Fairley is over 300. Both nfl.com and the rams site list him at 308. So not sure where your getting this 295. Secondly, we run a 4-3. We need our line to have the speed, strength and quickness more then we need the extra bulk. It worked well last year for us. Suddenly subtracting Langford and replacing him with Fairley and now suddenly there's an issue? It's 5 pounds. And Trinca Pasat likely won't even be a difference maker anyways. I know the off-season is pretty boring, but finding reason to create doubt? Seems a little silly.
Nick Fairley arrives in St. Louis weighing a svelte 280
http://redmtnsports.com/nick-fairley-arrives-in-st-louis-weighing-a-svelte-280/

Last time we saw Fairley March 14, 2015 Fairley said he was around 280 lbs.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ey-arrives-in-st-louis-weighing-a-svelte-280/

Jermelle Cudjo # DT
Detroit Lions | Official Team Site
Height: 6-2 Weight: 304 Age: 28
http://www.nfl.com/player/jermellecudjo/2507846/careerstats

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Thanks nano....21 huh? welp, definitely not Aaron Donald, but we'll see...funny to see Snisher stop, mid-stream and start drafting 6'0 guys for DT....I guess Conrath & Cujo burned that bridge...

Smaller and not fatass3ed DT's seem to be a little more popular in this day and age.......speed in the interior of the OL is lagging behind speed in the interior of the DL maybe.........something DC's are trying to exploit while there is a window maybe?

Limey

Rookie
Note: I thought it was interesting to read that Trinca-Pasat could also play some FB.

If he makes the team, I expect that his primary value would be as the 4th DT, but I wonder how much FB he has played. If he is any good at it, having a 290lb FB on the roster could be useful in some situations.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
What position would Louis Trinca-Pasat play in Gregg's defense? Looks like LTP would be a perfect fit as a reserve for the Aaron Donald interior DL post.

Below is Gregg's main 8 Ram DL'ers currently. Where do the below DL'ers usually play? And what would a knowledgeable fan expect them to play in Gregg Williams 2015 season?

Starter>Chris long LDE
Starter>M.Brockers NT
Starter>Aaron Donald DT
Starter>Rob Quinn RDE

First DE reserve>William Hayes- LDE & move inside to the DT(Donald) post on passing downs.
First DT reserve Nick Fairley- Can work both interior posts.
2nd DE reserve>Eugene Sims-RDE & move inside to DT (Donald) post.
Versatile DL reserve>Ethan Westbrooks- LDE/DT(Donald posts)/RDE

Is there a big need to carry five DL'ers who would play mostly DE when you have a strong side Lber Akeem Ayers now ready to go into this mix. GW does not leave his SSLB'er on the field long. Snead/Fisher & GW did not just pay the starting RDE of a 34 defense of the SB world champions to sit. Do you expect them to pay Ayers 3 million a season to play a first down & come off the field & sit & be replaced by a Safety Barron or a Nickle Back corner. I would strongly suggest that Ayers is sure to be seen as an outside edge pass rusher on a regular basis.

With all this versatility in the main 8 plus Ayers is there a big need to carry 10 DL'ers????? Is there a bigger need for a interior reserve or outside reserve with this current cadre? In those riddles UDFA LTP chances to stick lie.

In conclusion here sure looks like Fisher & Gregg are morphing this defensive front to be to be incredibly disruptive against the pass and run. Bringing in Dl'ers that are a Nightmare to pass protect against. They all seem to possesses a good burst with enough strength to push the pocket. Against the run these players look to simply beat OL'ers with their quickness. Am I wrong?

Limey

Rookie
I agree, but as they selected DE Ifedi ahead of LTP, they either love Ifedi or have some concerns about one or more of the current DEs. Or they weren't so high on LTP, but the relatively big cash payment they gave LTP suggests otherwise.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
what do they believe controls an NFL line of scrimmage? Huge mass that's an unyielding wall that pushes the line at will? Or slashing, penetrating DL that get into the backfield with no worry about holding the line?
In some ways, and a lot of the time, the later way, is exactly the way the " Fearsome Foursome " Played it! " Throw everyone out of the way and KILL the QB!! leave no one alive in your wake!!":shades:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I agree, but as they selected DE Ifedi ahead of LTP, they either love Ifedi or have some concerns about one or more of the current DEs. Or they weren't so high on LTP, but the relatively big cash payment they gave LTP suggests otherwise.
I think of LTP as LB depth!!

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/louis-trinca-pasat?id=2552285

Overview

2014: Second-team All-Big Ten. Started all 13 games. 2013: Honorable mention All-Big Ten. Started all 13 games. 2012: Started all 12 games. 2011: Played in one game as a reserve. 2010: Redshirted.

Pro Day Results

Bench press: 21 reps of 225 pounds

Analysis

Strengths
Good teammate. Worked well with teammate Carl Davis, running twists and occupying blocks to free Davis. Can convert speed to power as the twisting defensive tackle. Has good power for his size and can hold his ground against one-man blocks. Shows tremendous balance and is rarely on the ground. Works all the way through a snap and finds ways to eventually slip tackles. Will pursue with fervor.
Weaknesses
Shows some stiffness in his lower body. Undersized with short arms. Doesn't have the long levers or athleticism to capture the edge as a pass rusher. Stronger players with length will overwhelm him with size. Gets wired to base blocks for too long. Not a consistent finisher as a tackler. Must time snap more quickly to win with penetration.

Draft Projection
Round 5

Bottom Line
Trinca-Pasat is a three-year starter who saw his productivity take a big jump his senior season thanks to a more aggressive scheme and consistency of effort. His play traits are worthy of draft consideration, but his lack of size will be something that will have to be countered with scheme. He works inside the construct of a defensive scheme exceptionally well and defensive coaches will love his hustle.
Weren't these the knocks on D'Marco Farr coming out?
Good player, Hustles but can get knocked around too small?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

I am very close in thought where den is at on this prospect DL'er IFEDI selection. I see him more as a developmental interior DT not as a pass rushing DE.

As far as concerns with the current Ram DE's ???? 30 yr olds Long & Hayes do have concerns attached to them. Both had bad yrs with longs serious injury & surgery & Hayes coming off three off season surgeries. Both will be watched closely I am sure. Both reserve veteran DE's (Hayes & Sims) will be UFA's in less than a yr along with main reserve DT Fairley so signing even one of the three will be very $$$ costly.

On DE Hayes if he were to be on a decline (I am thinking he is) the Org could save over 3 million in releasing him & going with a younger 2nd yr Ram player like a Ethan Westbrooks & move in the direction of keeping developmental s like rookies Louis Trinca-Pasat or a Martin Ifedi to fill in the Westbrooks spot. Along with using Akeem Ayers more as a DE on 2ne & 3rd downs!

Its possible (I am just speculating here) but there might be a possibility that the older & much costly 30 yr old Hayes & 29 yr old Sims could be replaced in the future with the younger quicker/penetrating Akeem Ayers & Ethan Westbrooks? With the two rookie Ifedi & Pasat being look at to fill in inside in the future.

Last edited: