Trinca-Pasat gets opportunity with the Rams/Latsch

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Trinca-Pasat gets opportunity with the Rams
By Nate Latsch

http://stl.scout.com/story/1546566-trinca-pasat-gets-chance-with-rams?s=124

ST. LOUIS — Louis Trinca-Pasat tried not to pay much attention to the final day of the NFL Draft. The former Iowa defensive tackle, who was projected by some as a late-round pick, kept himself busy instead of following along with the picks.
“I was playing board games with my family,” Trinca-Pasat said. “Playing soccer and some sports with my nieces and nephew in the backyard. My family, my parents, were glued to the TV. I didn’t want to be tense or anxious or distracted because of all that. I just kind of kept my mind clear.”

There were 256 players selected in the seven rounds of the Draft but Trinca-Pasat, a three-year starter who was a second-team All-Big Ten selection in 2014, wasn’t one of them.

Instead, the 6-foot-1, 290-pounder ended up signing as an undrafted free agent with the St. Louis Rams shortly after the conclusion of the Draft.

“The general manager talked to my agent and my agent and I agreed that this was the best fit for me for me to come,” Trinca-Pasat said when he met with reporters during the Rams’ rookie orientation last weekend. “It’s a great d-line and great coaches to learn from and get better.”

The defensive tackle had options. He said his agent told him that, besides the Rams, eight other teams wanted to sign him as a free agent.

In St. Louis, Trinca-Pasat joins a defensive line that includes five former first-round draft picks — Chris Long, Robert Quinn, Nick Fairley, Michael Brockers and Aaron Donald — but only currently has three defensive tackles on the roster in Donald, Brockers and Fairley.

Trinca-Pasat said joining the Rams is a great opportunity to learn from the best.

“They have one of the best d-lines and Aaron Donald and all the other guys,” he said. “I still have to learn their names, but they were one of the best in the league last year. I’m just here, I’m excited. It’s always good when you get to absorb knowledge from the best.”

Trinca-Pasat is similar in size to Donald, the 2014 NFL defensive rookie of the year. Trinca-Pasat is 6-1, 290. Donald is 6-1, 285.

“I was seeing a little bit of him on film and heard of him coming out of Pitt,” Trinca-Pasat said. “He’s just a really good player, a very good guy I’ve heard. I haven’t met him yet, but I’m looking forward to it.”

The rookie defensive tackle will get to know his new teammates during the Rams’ offseason program. He’ll have a chance to impress his new coaching staff during OTAs and training camp.

Trinca-Pasat impressed draftniks with his play at Iowa, where he started 38 games over three seasons, and then during the draft evaluation process at the Senior Bowl, Scouting Combine and at his pro day.

Trinca-Pasat racked up 69 tackles, including 11.5 for loss, and 6.5 sacks during his senior season with the Hawkeyes. He then put up solid numbers at the Combine — 4.96 seconds in the 40-yard dash, 32-inch vertical leap, 4.30 seconds in the 20-yard shuttle and 7.40 seconds in the 3 cone drill — and showed off his versatility at his pro day by also going through drills as a fullback.

Ourlads’ NFL Scouting Services rated Trinca-Pasat as the 13th-best defensive tackle prospect in the 2015 Draft and projected him as a fourth- or fifth-round pick. NFL.com projected Trinca-Pasat as a fifth-round pick.

“Made a reputation for himself by being a relentless worker on and off the field,” Ourlads’ David Syvertsen wrote in his scouting report. “He lacks the ideal physical gifts that most teams want out of a defensive tackle, but coaches love to have this kind of guy on the depth chart. He plays with great pad level, quickness, and aggression. He can be a handful for blockers to deal with as games wear on and fatigue sets in. He will be limited to certain roles at the next level, but there is a spot for this kind of player on every team.”

Rams’ offensive lineman Andrew Donnal, a fourth-round pick from Iowa, echoed those sentiments about his college teammate.

“He’s a great guy to have on your team, on your side,” Donnal said. “He’s an all-for-the-team kind of guy, not selfish at all, and just willing to do anything. That’s what makes him so great. He’s extremely hard working and a great guy to be on this team.”

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I love signings like this! there is room for him as, Fairly basically takes Langford's spot and Trinca-Pasat can take the guy we had from buffalo. What does concern me is ... we only have 1 run stuffer. If Brockers goes down, could get ugly for our LB's.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Bet we picked up some new fans from Hawkeye Nation....wonder what he benched? AD threw it up, what 32 times???

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/louis-trinca-pasat?id=2552285

Overview

2014: Second-team All-Big Ten. Started all 13 games. 2013: Honorable mention All-Big Ten. Started all 13 games. 2012: Started all 12 games. 2011: Played in one game as a reserve. 2010: Redshirted.

Pro Day Results

Bench press: 21 reps of 225 pounds

Analysis

Strengths
Good teammate. Worked well with teammate Carl Davis, running twists and occupying blocks to free Davis. Can convert speed to power as the twisting defensive tackle. Has good power for his size and can hold his ground against one-man blocks. Shows tremendous balance and is rarely on the ground. Works all the way through a snap and finds ways to eventually slip tackles. Will pursue with fervor.
Weaknesses
Shows some stiffness in his lower body. Undersized with short arms. Doesn't have the long levers or athleticism to capture the edge as a pass rusher. Stronger players with length will overwhelm him with size. Gets wired to base blocks for too long. Not a consistent finisher as a tackler. Must time snap more quickly to win with penetration.

Draft Projection
Round 5

Bottom Line
Trinca-Pasat is a three-year starter who saw his productivity take a big jump his senior season thanks to a more aggressive scheme and consistency of effort. His play traits are worthy of draft consideration, but his lack of size will be something that will have to be countered with scheme. He works inside the construct of a defensive scheme exceptionally well and defensive coaches will love his hustle.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Thanks nano....21 huh? welp, definitely not Aaron Donald, but we'll see...funny to see Snisher stop, mid-stream and start drafting 6'0 guys for DT....I guess Conrath & Cujo burned that bridge...

Ever since the Rams signed him I thought he sounded like a "Poor Man's" Aaron Donald (And, That IS a compliment!)! I think he has an excellent chance at making the Rams roster next season!

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
He could be another D'Marco Farr for the Rams.

I like the signing but at the same time I am also concerned that the Rams are getting smaller at the DT position. Carrington was listed at 6-5 300 and Langford was listed as 6-6 313. Fairley (6-4 295 lbs), Donald (6-1 285 lbs), and Trinca-Pasat (6-1 290 lbs) are all sub 300 lb DT's. As ReddingRam noted if Brockers goes down the Rams will not have much size in the middle. The Rams do have Doug Worthington who stands at 6-5 318 but I am not sure what he brings to the table or if he has a realistic chance of making this roster.

Note: I thought it was interesting to read that Trinca-Pasat could also play some FB.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I think it's odd that the Rams clearly think huge OL refrigerators are the wave of the future on offense but at DT they keep going for the smaller & quicker types like LTP. Even Fairley is not the same type of line anchor that K.Langford was, he's more of a swimmer/penetrator. So what is the Rams philosophy, what do they believe controls an NFL line of scrimmage? Huge mass that's an unyielding wall that pushes the line at will? Or slashing, penetrating DL that get into the backfield with no worry about holding the line? Maybe it's just me but I'm fascinated by this apparent contradiction in philosophy from each side of the ball in their approach on the importance of beef to anchor the trenches.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I think it's odd that the Rams clearly think huge OL refrigerators are the wave of the future on offense but at DT they keep going for the smaller & quicker types like LTP. Even Fairley is not the same type of line anchor that K.Langford was, he's more of a swimmer/penetrator. So what is the Rams philosophy, what do they believe controls an NFL line of scrimmage? Huge mass that's an unyielding wall that pushes the line at will? Or slashing, penetrating DL that get into the backfield with no worry about holding the line? Maybe it's just me but I'm fascinated by this apparent contradiction in philosophy from each side of the ball in their approach on the importance of beef to anchor the trenches.

I also had made a mental note about the contrast of the Rams getting bigger along the O-line and smaller along the D-line. Donald and Quinn are such unique/great talents that perhaps the Rams feel they can go smaller and quicker on the D-Line.

Last edited:

Hram

UDFA
On offense they are going to run the ball against Defenses designed to protect against the pass.

On defense they are going to penetrate and rush the passer against offenses designed to spread the field and throw the ball.

It makes sense to me .

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I also had made a mental note about the contrast of the Rams getting bigger along the O-line and smaller along the D-line. Donald and Quinn are such unique/great talents that perhaps the Rams feel they can go smaller and quicker on the D-Line.
lets hope we stay injury free on that line then otherwise it could bite us in the ass! Interesting that they're obviously going for speed and penetration at the d-line and power on the o-line though...

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Ever since the Rams signed him I thought he sounded like a "Poor Man's" Aaron Donald (And, That IS a compliment!)! I think he has an excellent chance at making the Rams roster next season!
I'm with you there, they're similar in physique and play with a lot of dog, which I love in players...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I will temper this thread....I like Martin Ifedi much better and I feel Ifedi will be at DT, he's 275lbs, but at 6-3 can add some weight...We'll see how this breaks out, hey I hope Louis Trinca-Pasat is something special, but certainly getting a ton of press and I watched Ohio State against Iowa and Trinca-Pasat never stood out.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

I like the signing but at the same time I am also concerned that the Rams are getting smaller at the DT position. Carrington was listed at 6-5 300 and Langford was listed as 6-6 313. Fairley (6-4 295 lbs), Donald (6-1 285 lbs), and Trinca-Pasat (6-1 290 lbs) are all sub 300 lb DT's. As ReddingRam noted if Brockers goes down the Rams will not have much size in the middle. The Rams do have Doug Worthington who stands at 6-5 318 but I am not sure what he brings to the table or if he has a realistic chance of making this roster.

Note: I thought it was interesting to read that Trinca-Pasat could also play some FB.

Yes its a concern for me Noregar. Brockers is the special sauce in the makings of this DL overall working operation. It all starts with him. The 24 yr old Brockers 6-5 326 closest DL to him is Doug Worthington [DW]27 yr old who is 6-5 318.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/st.-louis-rams/doug-worthington/

DW is a true journeyman in the NFL. Drafted in the 7th rd in 2010 by Pittsburgh as a 6-5 292 pound DE in their 34 defense then cut.
http://www.nfl.com/player/dougworthington/496889/draft
Went to TB Bucs in 2011 cut. Landed in Washington in 2011 stayed there and got injured several times and was cut in 2013. Then onto the SD Chargers in 2014 but was cut then hooked up here on his way back from the west coast.

Below is DW's draft posting in 2010.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/563636

"versatile, ability to play multiple positions, played nose tackle in three-man fronts, Strong off the snap, stays low and pops blocker's jersey when man-up and can penetrate a gap when lined up in the one technique spot".

Plus I liked this "Team captain in 2009. Humble, soft-spoken, well-liked player. Does not give up on plays, hustles and looks to help out teammates on tackles."

Here's the most recent article on DW & the Rams.
http://archauthority.com/2014/12/15/st-louis-rams-add-dt-doug-worthington-practice-squad/

It would appear that since Gregg's arrival here... fact is he has gone smaller in the DL! In less than one yr the Langford 6-6/318, Conrath 6-7/312 & Carrington 6-6 302 have departed. First came the 6-1 285 lbs Donald, then 6-4 267 Ethan Westbrooks, then thru 2015 's UFA'cy the much smaller 6-4 280 pound Nick Fairley. Then this past week we added the 6-1 290 pound Trinca-Pasal.

When you do the math Rams did not sign those bigger 3 DT's who averaged 6-6 311 pounds and now with the newly four DT's added by Gregg you get an average of 6-3 287 pounds.

In conclusion: Doug Worthington may get lucky here in Ram land do to need alone. Who can be the NT if Brockers is out?

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm fascinated by this apparent contradiction in philosophy from each side of the ball in their approach on the importance of beef to anchor the trenches.

perhaps the Rams feel they can go smaller and quicker on the D-Line.
I think the major difference is, D-Linemen don't play the entire game...Frequently subbing...so there is this major difference....Maybe the smaller size recovers faster and plays better later in the game...
I do think Langford had value....Carrington was a waste...

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Thanks nano....21 huh? welp, definitely not Aaron Donald, but we'll see...funny to see Snisher stop, mid-stream and start drafting 6'0 guys for DT....I guess Conrath & Cujo burned that bridge...
Conrath was 6"7 , Cujo was 6'0...both Undrafted though...Westbrook is a DT/DE UDFA as well.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack

For starters, Fairley is over 300. Both nfl.com and the rams site list him at 308. So not sure where your getting this 295. Secondly, we run a 4-3. We need our line to have the speed, strength and quickness more then we need the extra bulk. It worked well last year for us. Suddenly subtracting Langford and replacing him with Fairley and now suddenly there's an issue? It's 5 pounds. And Trinca Pasat likely won't even be a difference maker anyways. I know the off-season is pretty boring, but finding reason to create doubt? Seems a little silly.