Trey Watts suspended

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
That $1 million though to a cap strapped team could sign a vet like Blalock as camp gets ramped up. Or a couple injury replacements, lets hope we don't need. Its tough to say and yes that cap hit is minimal but it could be the deciding factor.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I'm completely mystified why Pead has a reputation as a great pass protector. Don't you actually have to play before getting a reputation as being good at something? I don't think TC preseason scrub time counts. We cut the cord on most other players who have talent and for some reason can't produce. Bradford, Armstrong, etc. I really don't care when he was drafted. Barrett Jones is threatening to be in the same boat. I hope the light switch goes on for him this year.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Any word on what he got caught taking?

Had to be a PED. They don't even suspend you that long for pot. A four game suspension is automatic for any PED.

Either way, Watts' chances of making this roster went down to zero. I still don't think that Pead has a chance to make it, though. I believe that you actually save money by cutting Pead, and it's not like this front office has a ton to play with. They still have to re-sign Brockers to a long-term deal, along with Johnson (he's the cornerback I'd keep if we could only keep one), and probably Quick if he proves worthy.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I'm completely mystified why Pead has a reputation as a great pass protector. Don't you actually have to play before getting a reputation as being good at something? I don't think TC preseason scrub time counts. We cut the cord on most other players who have talent and for some reason can't produce. Bradford, Armstrong, etc. I really don't care when he was drafted. Barrett Jones is threatening to be in the same boat. I hope the light switch goes on for him this year.
You say TC preseason scrub time doesnt count, so wouldn't the same thought process apply to those countless wannabes such as the Trey Watts of the world, or the Thad Lewis' who fans fall in love with all based off the "TC preseason scrub time"?

Talent is talent. Athletic ability is just that. Obviously this coaching staff sees something in Pead to have kept him around, when many are adamant that he should have been cast aside long ago.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That $1 million though to a cap strapped team could sign a vet like Blalock as camp gets ramped up. Or a couple injury replacements, lets hope we don't need. Its tough to say and yes that cap hit is minimal but it could be the deciding factor.

The rookie minimum is $435k for 2015. So the absolute maximum that can be saved by replacing Pead is $505k. Watts would make $510k incidentally, so the savings there is $430k, prorated. Still worthwhile savings if he's not the best playing option, but not much if cutting him would be a downgrade.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The rookie minimum is $435k for 2015. So the absolute maximum that can be saved by replacing Pead is $505k. Watts would make $510k incidentally, so the savings there is $430k, prorated. Still worthwhile savings if he's not the best playing option, but not much if cutting him would be a downgrade.

True enough, but throw in Dunbarr and Givens on top of Pead and now you have close to $3 million in cap space after rookie level replacements on the 53 man and you have plenty of money for a Blalock type guy and a couple injury replacements. Right now before the draft class signs I think we're at $9 million in cap space. Which will get eaten up rather fast. Just some moves that could be made to free up some space. Sims and Hayes are possibilities too that save even more.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sure. But there has to be as good or better options available, or the team is downgrading - not much point saving money for downgrades. And each decision has to be made individually, player by player - not by saying "look how much we save cutting these players as a group" who all play different positions and may or may not have replacements on the roster.

In terms of signing the rookies - keep in mind that the way the salary cap works, each one signed pushes somebody else off for salary cap calculations. That is at least $3.5 million right there, possibly more, so the Rams will have some space.

If Pead isn't the best playing option for the spot, he'll be cut and the Rams will save a little cap space. If it's a tie, and they think they are better off with a younger player than a free agent to be, they'll cut him. But if he's somebody the team still thinks could have an impact on the field, both on offense and on ST, they are not going to cut him for that little space. They want to win now.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Talent is talent. Athletic ability is just that. Obviously this coaching staff sees something in Pead to have kept him around, when many are adamant that he should have been cast aside long ago.

Pead has talent no debating that fact and he was coming around especially in the area of special teams as well so he will have his opportunity come training camp, however, Pead has had some issues.

First he had some ball security issues then he was not much for special team play in the beginning which put him in the doghouse to a certain degree. And as soon as the light started coming in many areas than he sustains the injury so overall the jury is still out on Pead, but I concur the Rams still might believe he has quite a bit to offer.

Athos

Legend
Well, he's probably gone.

Lots of RBs on roster now, and he wasn't exactly special in any way that isn't replaceable.

iced

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

The team isn't strapped for cash, and there are plenty of ways to free up money if they needed to. I think Blalock and a lot of the other vets going unsigned has more to do with timing than anything.When we start getting closer to Training camp, then I bet we'll see signings.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The team isn't strapped for cash, and there are plenty of ways to free up money if they needed to. I think Blalock and a lot of the other vets going unsigned has more to do with timing than anything.When we start getting closer to Training camp, then I bet we'll see signings.

Not cash strapped no but we have just over $9 million, our rookie pool is slotted to take over $7 million. Not a lot of wiggle room if a couple injuries pop up.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not cash strapped no but we have just over $9 million, our rookie pool is slotted to take over $7 million. Not a lot of wiggle room if a couple injuries pop up.

And again, while signing the rookies will cost about $7 million, the players pushed off the roster for salary cap purposes will cost about $3.5 million - so there will still be over $5 million in space. More would be better of course, but there is enough that the Rams won't need to make roster decisions on the basis of money, but can actually make them on expected performance going forward.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For now yes, once training camp starts officially we go from top 51 to total roster so 2 more contracts and the practice squad count as well.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
you are looking at hard numbers when it isn't that case at all. Not sure wy you conitnue to use the $9M figure as it pertains to the offseason cap number.

Only the top 51 salaries count against the offseason cap, and any players, including the draft class, won't count until 1) they are signed, and 2) become part of that top 51. Demoff has covered this numberous times, when it comes to making room for the draft picks.

He has never "set aside" money for the draft class, because once they make the final roster (the ones that do), their salaries will replace some one else who eventually they replace on the roster. The 53 man salary cap doesn't kick in until the week prior to the regular season. So your concerns, much less your math are not valid.

As someone mentioned, if they are in a situation that they need to free up space, they will restructure existing contracts, as opposed to releasing someone such as Pead prior to training camp.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
For now yes, once training camp starts officially we go from top 51 to total roster so 2 more contracts and the practice squad count as well.
not when training camp starts, the 53 man roster cap doesn't kick in til the week prior to the regular season. So you are misinformed on this.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I wanna see Brown...ST and running, but I remember he had a few carries vs UCLA and was looking pretty good...Either in 2013 or 2014. But I think this kills Watts chances if Pead & Brown look good and can play ST...I know Pead can if healthy, I wanna see if Brown can
More on Brown

RB Malcolm Brown, St. Louis: The former five-star recruit of the Texas Longhorns failed to build on solid junior season thanks to an offensive line that had fewer career starts (18) than almost every major college program in the nation last year and that's before the veteran center with most of those starts suffered a season-ending injury in the opener. Brown is a 5-11, 224-pound runner with especially good balance to bounce off contact and maturity as a zone runner. Like Zenner, his 4.62-second 40 isn't awe-inspiring to combine enthusiasts, but the rest of Brown's workout data coincides with a lot of what I saw on tape:

Player Ht. Wt. 40 20S 3C Vert. Bench
Malcolm Brown 5-11 224 4.62 4.15 6.86 34.5 19
Ryan Riddle often factors weight into his analysis of combine performances. Brown had the third-best speed and agility measurements of the backs in this class. "Brown may lack flat-out blazing speed, but he is quick enough to hit holes and big enough to break arm tackles at the next level." if you recall, LeVeon Bell had a three-cone drill of 6.75 seconds and a 4.24 short shuttle at 230 pounds despite a 4.6-second 40. I should also note that I never participated in the revisionist history that Bell's weight loss made him quick enough to play well in the NFL. The truth is that Bell was always a good enough athlete and analysts should have been impressed with his combine numbers overall and not make the mistake of being 40-focused.

Pittsburgh's decimated offensive line during Bell's rookie year was the biggest reason for his mediocre production as a rookie. It's also the reason Brown's stock tumbled at Texas. One thing no one can argue is Brown's ball security. He only fumbled once in 619 touches--the lowest career fumble rate of this class.

Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher and General Manager Les Snead said that they would be extra conservative with top-10 pick Todd Gurley's rehab of his ACL tear. The fact that last year's pick Tre Mason flashed his talents and they have depth with Benny Cunningham are solid arguments that Fisher and Snead will remain true to their word. However, running back is a position with high injury rates and Brown could earn playing time as a result of more reps due to an injury.

As much as I liked Cunningham as a late-round long shot out of Middle Tennessee State, Brown has the three-down skills and maturity to compete for Cunningham's role and split time with Mason if he makes a good enough early impression to earn more reps than what most UDFAs see. If Brown has the typical opportunities of a UDFA, don't be surprised if he's on another depth chart in September. ....

Read about some more UDFA's at:

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=gutcheck332waldmanudfa

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I don't argue that but what do you think he offers that Cunningham doesn't? seems like a Stacey clone to me. (not that fast). But you could be right as a short yardage guy.
It's the short yardage bullnose rushing I was thinking about ;) I like Cunningham, I'd keep both ;)

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
He may get cut - but likely not until week 4 is over. No reason to do it any sooner, is there?

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
you keep bringing up Pead's "cost"..... are you aware that his 2015 salary is all of $940K? He has a cap number of $1.284M which includes $344K dead money.

To me, that number is not something that should even enter into the conversation as to a reason why he should or shouldn't be cut.
I mention it because he's currently our highest paid RB, and I don't think that's justified for a player that hasn't really contributed that much to the Rams offense. You can hardly say that he's lived up to his draft selection position, if he had, Fisher and Snead wouldn't keep investing in the position.

In an ideal world the cap figure shouldn't count, but it does. It's almost like paying a backup or situational player top dollar, it just doesn't make sense in the business world to me.