Trey Watts suspended

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

I put my faith in everything combined - both reports and film, but obviously film carries a little more weight because then I get to see it live in a situation where it counts (vs practice) instead of relying on others opinions. I'm not saying their opinions don't matter, but everyone's view is different.

As far as what the coaching staff believes - I think its pretty obvious how they felt about the position since:

-it was an open competition, and everyone was going to get a look
-no one was annoited a starter until the season started really, and even then it wasn't long before Stacy was replaced
-everyone had stacy as the bonafide starter, and look where he is now, let alone where he ended up part way through the season
-If training camp reports were 100% accurate, Brian Quick would have a stud 2 seasons ago

I agree about performers - and Pead clearly has a role on this team. Should benny ever get injured and Pead was cut, then you don't have a 3rd down back on this team. Yea Gurley eventually will be there - but i think it's a little early to count on him (not just for his acl but also pass pro..most importantly learning the offense, etc).

And there is plenty to suggest the Rams see Pead as value as a 3rd down back - it wasn't exlusive to benny only, and pead did see some snaps in that regard toward the end of 2013 (not a huge amount, but still some).

I think his ability as a Gunner on ST alone saves his spot. And I don't believe anyone "won anything" from Pead - i think he shot himself more in the foot initially once he got in fisher's dog house.Kid is talented, combine that with his ST value and thats why i think he'll still have a roster spot.. he fills roles..

I swear more people on hung up on his draft spot than what he actually brought to the team (not saying you area but i get the feeeling a lot of people are). I think Givens will be cut way before Pead will

Last edited:

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Trey Watts - RB - Rams
NFL suspended Rams RB Trey Watts for violating the league's policy against substance abuse.

The cause of the violation is not yet clear, but already being a bit player, Watt is a player the Rams could easily now rid themselves of. Watts' NFL value is on special teams, where he recorded six tackles last season.

May 29 - 3:52 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9943/trey-watts
IMHO you are so off base on this post. First Trey Watts showed last year he can be a very good RB. Second, why would the Rams ever want to "rid" themselves of a player like that? Because he violated the substance Abuse policy? Pretty poor reason. If they Rams "rid" themselves of Watts they are slowly decimating their once totally stacked backfield.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I think they keep Watts till the suspension is over if he doesn't count against the roster. That way they can carry an extra RB. If that extra RB out performs Watts they can just cut him after his suspension is done. I like Watts so I will be pulling for him.
Why would you just cut Watts? How about the Rams try and trade players instead of just cutting them or trading them for practically nothing?

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I concur @OldSchool the door is now open and his size 5-11 225lbs makes him the 2nd largest back on the team with that guy from Georgia being just a tad bigger, you know, what's his name?:sleep:

Yes
Mack Brown is responsible for this guy going from a 5 star recruit to being an UDFA
Kid has more talent than scouts think

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
What a shame, I really liked Watts from what I saw in preseason. Faulk was giving him some praise as well, which is big IMO.
Just one more reason why IMHO is would be stupid to cut Watts.
I cannot believe all the hate on Watts. Some of you guys cut no one any slack, IMO.
Tell you guys what, next time you get a dui, smoke some pot, or do anything illegal no matter how slight it maybe I think your employer should fire you on the spot. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

iced

IMHO you are so off base on this post. First Trey Watts showed last year he can be a very good RB. Second, why would the Rams ever want to "rid" themselves of a player like that? Because he violated the substance Abuse policy? Pretty poor reason. If they Rams "rid" themselves of Watts they are slowly decimating their once totally stacked backfield.

this isn't a post - it was just copied. click the link at the bottom

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Why would you just cut Watts? How about the Rams try and trade players instead of just cutting them or trading them for practically nothing?

I said they have the option to cut him if somebody played better but they have the option to wait so there is no reason to cut him right now. Trade him? Who is going to trade for Watts? Did you see what we got for Stacy? Be realistic.

iced

Stacy wasn't starting then - he was simply benched.

And I said said before,he got some, not a whole lot. But his ST numbers can't be ignored, nor how well they ranked in ST coverage...He was a big part of their ST play, and thats a fact that can't be ignored. I don't think I have to remind people either how much Fisher cares about special teams.

The point I was making that if the Rams Coaching staff held him in such low regards, he wouldn't be getting any starting snaps, or spending as much time on the bench as Stacy did.

Pead's Draft status was only relevant as long as it guaranteed his contract and made cutting him embarrassing to Fisher. Neither applies now. If he's the #1 RB in camp I hope he starts in Week 1. If he's the #6 RB i'll wish him luck finding a new employer. May the best players
prevail.

I think Fisher and Snead have proven draft status is irrelevant

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Idk.
Pead is a 2nd rnd pick going on his 3rd yr of his contract. What will his cap hit be? Im guessing he wont be cheap.
Unless he really impresses, I don't see keeping him as a 3rd or 4th back with what he will cost.
I still doubt he makes the squad.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

If you are talking about me as one of the guys who went to camp, then you weren't paying attention to what I was reporting. I have been a Isaiah Pead supporter since he got here. At this point, I would go so far as saying that Pead is still the most athletic RB on the roster not named Gurley.

The thing that stands out to me, is how this coaching staff continues to show confidence in him, They give him plenty of RB reps in training camp, They incorporate him into all the core Special Teams. I am pretty confident in saying had he not suffered the ACL injury, he was a lock to make last year's roster, and none of us would even remember Trey Watts' name.

Watts only made the roster because of Pead's injury. If Pead shows he has recovered from the knee injury, I see no reason why he won't be given every opportunity to make this roster again. And BTW.... I don't think Reynolds enters into this conversation one bit. He makes the team on his own merit, and isnt included in the position rankings as far as RB in concerned.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Really, pass protect at that cost?!
you keep bringing up Pead's "cost"..... are you aware that his 2015 salary is all of $940K? He has a cap number of $1.284M which includes $344K dead money.

To me, that number is not something that should even enter into the conversation as to a reason why he should or shouldn't be cut.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
It'll be fun to watch Pead battle the undrafted backs. Particularly Brown. I don't think money determines the outcome of this one. Whoever puts up the best performance will make it. I still have a little shred of hope for Pead. As the #4 back though, it's kind of irrelevant. Won't be many touches for whoever wins out.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Pead is still the most athletic RB on the roster not named Gurley.
Agree....I hope he returns as good as before...Bet he appreciates his spot now...
Any word on what he got caught taking?
I heard the substances of abuse, makes me think weed.

I wanna see Brown...ST and running, but I remember he had a few carries vs UCLA and was looking pretty good...Either in 2013 or 2014. But I think this kills Watts chances if Pead & Brown look good and can play ST...I know Pead can if healthy, I wanna see if Brown can

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I honestly was figuring he'd be cut this year anyway. Before this happened!

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
you keep bringing up Pead's "cost"..... are you aware that his 2015 salary is all of $940K? He has a cap number of $1.284M which includes $344K dead money.

To me, that number is not something that should even enter into the conversation as to a reason why he should or shouldn't be cut.
I asked about it as well.
That's much less than I thought it would be.
For 1 mill, he could battle Cunningham for Kick off duties and earn his money.
I thought it would be somewhere in the 1.5 to 2.5 mill range.