Trent Green says that 1999 Rams squad is the only team that can compare to the Super Bowl champion Chiefs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
I didnt become a Chief fan until 2016, ya know. Though as a kid I casually liked them and had Chiefs gear. Then came the 99 Rams. When Nick Foles went to KC (the last STL QB), I was just sure he'd unseat Alex Smith who stunk in SF for years. Being I was gonna watch every game anyway, I decided to have an invested interest via being a Chiefs fan!!! And we all know the story between 2016-2020. (I was actually at the JAX game when he started. I was also at the Eagles game when he was on the bench and won it all that year.)

But I ran into this article than ties it all together. I'm very proud to say I've been a fan of the two greatest offenses the America's Game has ever seen. Truly amazing they were both Missouri teams.

Little fun fact: Chiefs broke the team record of most points over a 2 year span. Rams 99-01 hold the three year record. I'd just love to break it and we got the team to do it.

But I must say, the greatest championship team I've ever witnessed in sports is the 99 Rams. Perinial 4-12 team loses their starting QB in preseason and goes all the way with a no-name 28 year old QB and revolutionize the way the game is played. 20 years later I'm still stunned by it. (Once Torry gets in that offense will have FIVE Hall of Fame players to it's credit. FIVE! Warner, Faulk, Pace, Bruce, and soon to be Torry. Amazing.)

Everything works out for the better, my friends.

Paydirt

UDFA
Like Trent, but it's not even a discussion .......... Warner : Faulk : Torry Holt : Orlando Pace : Isaac Bruce. Greatest offense in the history of N.F.L. Will never see anything like that again, for the rest of our life

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ya know, it's so much fun to compare the Greatest Show on Turf and the Legion of Zoom. I must say that in more than one way it's unfair to compare them. But I will say a few things.

-Marshfall Faulk and Mahomes are both revolutionary players. Marshall catching out of the backfield felt like stealing. Mahomes off script plays is the envy of the league and arm is the envy of the NFL. (Both teams quick strike ability was the envy of their time.)

-Bruce and Holt, Hill and Kelce.

-both teams had incredible roll players (The Oz, Proehl. Hardman and Watkins.)

-Martz, Reid

-Warner Won MVP in 99, Mahomes was the reigning MVP.

-Both played gritty tough running teams in their Super Bowl victories and won by an iconic passing assault (Warner-Bruce back shoulder fade long TD, Mahomes-Hill Wasp on third and 15 for 44 yards down 10 late in 4th).

So in conclusion, no question the Rams have the best one year story. But KC has a shot at winning the longevity battle. Sl

Sadly, after SB36 the Rams started the year 0-5. Warner got traded, Bruce got old, Pace left, and Torry couldn't win by himself though he was still an amazing player and had a decent QB in Bulger before he got battered QB syndrome.

Then began the dark days of the Steven Jackson era of which lead into the mediocre Jeff Fisher era and thus the story ended completely for STL.

I dont see KC having THAT ending of which was borderline tragic when you throw in all the NE cheating scandals.

Last edited:

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Like Trent, but it's not even a discussion .......... Warner : Faulk : Torry Holt : Orlando Pace : Isaac Bruce. Greatest offense in the history of N.F.L. Will never see anything like that again, for the rest of our life

I think the 2001 team was better, especially on D.

jap

Legend
I think the 2001 team was better, especially on D.

Agreed! Torry was only a rookie in 1999. He was a bonafide star by 2001. Aeneas Williams was on that 2001 team, and I was really upset that he failed to win a SuperBowl over the Cheating Patriots & NFL.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Green is correct. It is very very hard to win multiple super bowls. Unless your team is cheating. (patsies...cough)

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
Damn I love the Rams and Chiefs. Was a Chiefs fan majority of my childhood until one day in the 2nd grade one of my clasmates wore some Rams gear to school and I seen the horns and it was all history after that. That was after superbowl 34 & 36 though so I've only known the Rams as a bad team until 2017. Still a Chiefs fan though. My best memories of KC was when we had Priest Holmes, Dante Hall, Trent Green, Tony Gonzales etc. Had jerseys of Holmes, Hall and Bulger. Good times.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Little fun fact: Chiefs broke the team record of most points over a 2 year span. Rams 99-01 hold the three year record. I'd just love to break it and we got the team to do it.

Not sure if you're referring to Chiefs franchise record or NFL team record. 1999-2000 Rams, 2011-12 Pats, 2013-2014 Broncos all scored more.

Rams three year record for points has fallen as well, 2010-2012 Patriots have that.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Not sure if you're referring to Chiefs franchise record or NFL team record. 1999-2000 Rams, 2011-12 Pats, 2013-2014 Broncos all scored more.

Rams three year record for points has fallen as well, 2010-2012 Patriots have that.

I believe it's the most points over a three year span, not one year. Far as I know the Rams from 99-01 hold that record. KC holds the record for most points over a 2 year span. Most points in a season I believe does belong to the Broncos. I fully reserve the right to be incorrect lol.

And I think the Rams are the only team to score 500 points three straight years. I dont even know if the Chiefs scored 500 with the Mahomes getting hurt then all the conservative, tempo, offense late in the year to protect him.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is a question to be discussed after the fact. In the early stages of a Chiefs potential run it's not a fair comparison. I will say one thing continually brought up is the Chiefs have nobody that comes close to what Faulk did and can do. Also Hill is a very nice player and Kelce is as well, if he's actually healthy, but both have a long ways to go to be compared to Bruce and Holt.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That 1999 Rams team had, what... 5 serious HOF contenders? I am not sure any team compares to the sudden makeup and run of that team.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
We never got a chance to avenge it thanks to Dee Ford.
Ya, had the Chiefs gotten past the Patsies, I would have been all over that SB. The potential was huge for an explosive, record-setting scoring SB. But the NE / LA "rematch" was over before it begun. I didn't even watch it. I knew the outcome. The script was already written, it would be TB's last SB win.
I watched the SF / KC game though, it was incredible. One of the all-time best SB's. But as for the OP, I'm with Green -- it's close, but I give the 99 Rams the edge, with the 01 Rams being even better & would have been an all-time great team if not for the SB being stolen from them by the Cheats.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame

I'm not sure either. I just heard it on the TV during the game.

Pats 2010, 2011, and 2012? Funny I don't remember them scoring that much. Not a fan of that if true.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure either. I just heard it on the TV during the game.

Pats 2010, 2011, and 2012? Funny I don't remember them scoring that much. Not a fan of that if true.

that's when gronk and gangsta boy were running wild all over the league.