Tree a bust at mlb?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'd prefer a thumper at MLB, but I have very little to complain about with regard to Ogletree's play. I'm not sure what that fan/writer was seeing, but it wasn't the same thing I was seeing. He can get washed out from time to time, and he whiffs on occasion, but he's been very solid otherwise. This is just another case of wanting an All-Pro at every position and complaining that we don't have them all yet.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think AO did well in that role I wasn't expecting him to kill it. His coverage was more a depth issue he didn't drop back deep enough most time there where plenty balls that drop right over his head cause he was inching to the line instead of dropping back, he got lost on a lot of crossing patterns too Mainly because of depth. He didn't do a lot of man but he was good in spying the QB which is what I expected from him. I just think AO is a downhill type of player better suited attacking then reacting

That assumes it was his responsibility to be there. Zone coverage means that there will be holes available to exploit. Zone defenses generally want to force QBs to throw between the levels. Inevitably, that means there will be passes thrown that will drop between the LBs and DBs. That's by design. It's not an easy pass to make. It's risky because if the LB is able to leap higher than expected, he might be able to bat balls into the air.

So you have to keep in mind that when a pass drops in behind him in zone coverage, it doesn't necessarily mean he's doing his job wrong. Ogletree is only responsible for carrying routes up to a certain depth.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
Tree is just fine at MLB. Unless your Luke Kuechly, it's going to be hard to find a guy that excels in both run support and pass coverage. Don't really get the fan disappointment with him.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
I think Tree and Barron took bad angles and blocked themselves in the running game too often allowing the back to get into the secondary and gash for long runs. Happened very often. Neither is great in coverage either. I think moving tree back to OLB allowing him to roam and use his speed and athleticism like Derrick Brooks from Tampa Bay did. Nick a big man in the middle to stuff the run and take on a blocker or two and allow Tree or Barron to clean up. I think a hybrid 2 CB 3 Safeties 2 LB 4 DL Scheme, allow Barron to go either strong or weak side Safety. Typical 4-3 on Running downs with Barron at SS. Passing Down Go to Big Nickel 3 CB 3 Safeties 1 LB 4 DL.

A55VA6

Legend
While he's not great, he IS very good. He's a bit undersized for the Mike so I think that's why his main issues are shedding blocks and missed tackles. But he has the speed and coverage skills that a lot of LB's don't have.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I have no idea why the author Sean Wilkinson would refer to Ogletree & Barron as busts, especially since 'Tree' is basically a rookie playing inside. Out of 87 graded LB'ers overall, PFF graded him at #51, and while not very efficient in run defense, he excelled in coverage. Mind you this his first NFL experience in the middle. Assessing Ogletree's future under Wade Phillips is complicated by 'Tree' starting the 5'th year option period of his contract, and he's likely to be asking for Barron type money going forward. We won't really have a grasp on his ability to work within a hybrid 3/4 if this is the direction Phillips takes us in 2017. This could result in what is another positional change for him, and is there a good fit anywhere in a new system where he will be comfortable, or could he become trade bait as a 4/3 OLB ?

A similar problem goes with Barron, although he graded out at # 33 overall with PFF, near same deficiencies in run defense, somewhat better in coverage than Ogletree. Barron is being paid as a top 10 LB, but we don't know if he'll remain a LB under Phillips or be returned to SS, or maybe even both depending on scheme. If he's a LB in a 3/4, I see him maybe as a MIKE ILB, but can he stand up to or slide by the blockers he'll face from the interior, or will his size work against him ? I tend to see both Ogletree and Barron as MIKE ILB'ers, so we would probably have to seek our JACK ILB from the draft or free agency unless someone sees somebody already on-board who might better fit the description. It's going to be interesting to watch Wade unfold his defense before our eyes, there may be some head scratching & face palming before it's all said and done, he knows how to do it, but will we be patient enough to bear it ?

Makes me wonder whether Williams, now with Cleveland, would want to trade for either of our 2 starting LB'ers, and what would their value be ? Joe Thomas, anyone ?

jmo.

Last edited:

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That assumes it was his responsibility to be there. Zone coverage means that there will be holes available to exploit. Zone defenses generally want to force QBs to throw between the levels. Inevitably, that means there will be passes thrown that will drop between the LBs and DBs. That's by design. It's not an easy pass to make. It's risky because if the LB is able to leap higher than expected, he might be able to bat balls into the air.

So you have to keep in mind that when a pass drops in behind him in zone coverage, it doesn't necessarily mean he's doing his job wrong. Ogletree is only responsible for carrying routes up to a certain depth.

That's true. I guess at the same time that will come when he gets more comfortable at that position because on thing JL did good early on was being able to drop deep enough to get those passes

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Tree is not undersized. He's 6-2 and 245 pounds. JL55 is 6-1 and 244 pounds and was never called small. He has the size and speed and the smarts to play the middle. Just needs more experience in there and better play behind him.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
He played very well this year. He's an impact player. He also had some quality coaching behind him in making that transition so seamlessly.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
If we roll with a 3-4, I'd really like to see us chase an established solid ILB to pair with 'Tree and allow him to be more of a read/react guy. Akeem Dent would be a nice grab or if the Steelers let Larry Timmons slip away.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If we roll with a 3-4, I'd really like to see us chase an established solid ILB to pair with 'Tree and allow him to be more of a read/react guy. Akeem Dent would be a nice grab or if the Steelers let Larry Timmons slip away.

I would look to make a trade with our former DC and Cleveland's current DC Greg Williams. While we may be transitioning from Williams' 4/3 to a Phillips 3/4, Williams is moving from a 3/4 to his standard 4/3. He needs 4/3 DLinemen & LB'ers. I would offer straight up OLB Alex Ogletree & DE No Dinosaur Hayes for LT Joe Thomas & LILB Christian Kirksey. We could even sweeten the deal with Trinca-Pasat & Matt Longacre if required. This isn't about not liking Ogletree, because I do, but we could fix a couple problem areas right quick with such a move. And yes, I realize player for player trades are extremely rare in the NFL, this is just for entertainment, but when you have two coaches swapping out their Base D's, perhaps there is room for something unusual to happen. jmo.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2017/1...de-phillips-defense-aaron-donald-robert-quinn
How was tree a bust this year? He played really well and it's only his first year in the middle . By the way he was all pro lol I wish people would watch the games before writing things like this

I like Ogletree. He really impressed me at training camp how he put in extra hours at the end of practice each day. And, he became vocal leader. However, near the end of the season I saw poor play that left me questioning if he is the right to man the middle for the future.

Here are some highlites from the 49er game in week 16 that had to be one of the most painful losses for me. There were 2 plays that I will mark below the 49ers scored on that Ogletree could've played better.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUf9oztwMQk

1) On the first play of video, the 49er RB busted a big run. Ogletree decided to fill a gap between the RG and RT, but the RB never committed to that gap. The RB went left and made a big gain.

2) 30 seconds in, they throw short pass to Hyde and he took it to the house. Ogletree moved to his right and upfiled to try and cover Hyde, but he went too far to the right and ended up in a trail position. Hyde ran right by him.

3) At the 2:36 mark, Kapernick decides to run after surveying the field. The LB's are playing Zone but neither Barron or Ogletree are able pursue and make a play. They were both facing the play and could react to Kapernick's move, but it just looks like took poor angles and I didn't see any explosion from Ogletree. This TD brought the 49er's within 1 point and they they got the 2 point conversion. Heartbreaking to watch.