Tree a bust at mlb?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i certainly wouldnt call tree a bust as a MLBer ....i do think he is probably better as an OLB ... but he has room to grow and it was his first season with more responsibility i think he settles down and become a pretty damm good MLB

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have a hard time understanding the hate for Ogletree at Mike. He looked plenty good to me for a guy in his first year at a new position. As you said, he was a Second Team All Pro. Not sure what people were expecting...Ray Lewis?

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have a hard time understanding the hate for Ogletree at Mike. He looked plenty good to me for a guy in his first year at a new position. As you said, he was a Second Team All Pro. Not sure what people were expecting...Ray Lewis?
I'm pretty sure they were at least that what was being sad when he took over for JL.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Yes "bust" is laughably incorrect, but it's also erroneous to suggest he played at an extremely high level (remember "all pro" voting is done by the same type of clueless writers as this guy). I think we got exactly what we expected -- a high risk, high reward performance. I prefer a more consistent player in the middle, but in the end AO was better than my personal expectations.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldn't call him a bust either especially after only 1 year but his run support was terrible his zone read and coverage was terrible he only made plays when he was sent on attack mode but anything that made him go into zone and the read and react things he had to do he struggled with that. Being a MLB is more then being a "thumper" especially in the type of defense GW designed maybe with wade it would require a different role

jap

Legend
I wouldn't call him a bust either especially after only 1 year but his run support was terrible his zone read and coverage was terrible he only made plays when he was sent on attack mode but anything that made him go into zone and the read and react things he had to do he struggled with that. Being a MLB is more then being a "thumper" especially in the type of defense GW designed maybe with wade it would require a different role

I wouldn't be concerned with it. Let Professor Wade figure out what 'Tree is best at, and he will craft an ideal role for our 'backer.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I thought he was really good there. He was better at OLB but you have to make a choice I guess. I think what skewed the opinion a bit on him was down the stretch when the defense seemed to 'quit'. That Saints game for example. They missed a lot of tackles and just didn't seem to have their heads in the game for whatever reason. There was a lot going on behind the scenes obviously.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with those that are saying he did well at MLB but is better suited to be an OLB (I see his body and think OLB).

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Sometimes when the team is losing, fans just have to find someone to rip on, and will come up with reasons to fit their rip. And since 'Tree didn't play like a first ballot HOFer in his first year at MLB, he must be a bust ... smfh.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I have to admit that watching ogletree hit people rather than actually wrap them up and tackle them was frustrating.

Although that was something the entire defence was doing.

I wanna see some fundamentals.... and I don't mean clown fundamentals!

latest

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think Tree is a bit overrated here. He makes plays but he has his lapses as well. He is not the best block shedder and his instincts are not that of a great LBer like Lewis or Willis. Tree is just what Fisher drafted... a great athlete that had to learn football. JMO

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2017/1...de-phillips-defense-aaron-donald-robert-quinn
How was tree a bust this year? He played really well and it's only his first year in the middle . By the way he was all pro lol I wish people would watch the games before writing things like this
i certainly wouldnt call tree a bust as a MLBer ....i do think he is probably better as an OLB ... but he has room to grow and it was his first season with more responsibility i think he settles down and become a pretty damm good MLB
I agree with both of these statements, and I would like to add Tree's growing and learning had a lot to do with Mike Singletary Coaching him up! That's why I hope McVay/Phillips finds a way to bring Mike back!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Tree was above average but only due to his range and ability to drop in coverage. That is, btw, extremely valuable nowadays, but he does need to work on his ability to take on blocks and/or beat them on the interior.

ILB is going to be the most interesting part of watching what Wade does with our defense. His scheme puts a lot of emphasis on ILB fills and beating of blocks in the run game, particularly if the NT is a guy who one gaps. This is why I expect the Rams to bring in a two gap run stuffer at NT and play Brock 5T. It will ease things a bit on Tree and Barron or whomever else is the other interior LB.

And re: Barron, he really struggled this year. Could be that some of the mistakes I thought I saw weren't him, but I'm pretty comfortable with the opinion that he was the source of some significant run gashes the defense suffered. He's a really tough dude, and can be an impact player around the LOS, but it's gonna be interesting to see what Wade does to squeeze the most from him. I suspect either him or Tree will end up doing some rushing on the outside, where they can make plays in space.

So IMO a NT and ILB will be added to this defense in some combination of FA and the draft. Good thing is neither of those positions are pricey on the FA market, so they may elect to do that right out the gate.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Tree might be the best coverage mlb in the league but he does struggle against the run, however I think him with another year of experience is better than any other option right now. Team needs to spend money on other positions

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I really disagree. I thought Alec handled himself well in both coverage and run support. He has two weaknesses. He misses a few too many tackles and isn't good at getting off blocks. But that's life. There are only a handful of flawless LBs in the NFL. You're usually either going to have a deficiency in coverage or a deficiency in block shedding. In today's NFL, I'll take the deficient block shedder over the deficient cover guy.

For all the criticism AO gets, our run defense performed quite well in most games (the exceptions were almost entirely contained to the games where we were missing basically our entire starting DL except for Donald). And most of our coverage deficiencies on the year were at CB2 (and CB1 or CB3 when Tru and Joyner were injured).

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Tree's athleticism is better utilized in space. He's a splash play guy more than a traditional MLB. And although he was a big upgrade compared to recent history, he wasn't fully utilized.

Hopefully we move him into a position where he'll get to rush the passer more to make up for our lack of a quality pass rush with Quin's fall off in play.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Led the team in tackles and 7th in the league. Add to it having to master a new position, under Williams' defense, along with getting the defense set each play. No one is perfect every play and Alec would be the first to tell you there were times he struggled, but not very often. I trust Phillips to put him in the right spot for his defense and he be even better.

I just hate some of these media types looking to stir the pot. Another uniformed d-bag.
But yeah, he is a bust.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really disagree. I thought Alec handled himself well in both coverage and run support. He has two weaknesses. He misses a few too many tackles and isn't good at getting off blocks. But that's life. There are only a handful of flawless LBs in the NFL. You're usually either going to have a deficiency in coverage or a deficiency in block shedding. In today's NFL, I'll take the deficient block shedder over the deficient cover guy.

For all the criticism AO gets, our run defense performed quite well in most games (the exceptions were almost entirely contained to the games where we were missing basically our entire starting DL except for Donald). And most of our coverage deficiencies on the year were at CB2 (and CB1 or CB3 when Tru and Joyner were injured).

I think AO did well in that role I wasn't expecting him to kill it. His coverage was more a depth issue he didn't drop back deep enough most time there where plenty balls that drop right over his head cause he was inching to the line instead of dropping back, he got lost on a lot of crossing patterns too Mainly because of depth. He didn't do a lot of man but he was good in spying the QB which is what I expected from him. I just think AO is a downhill type of player better suited attacking then reacting