Tre Mason's mother: RB is like '10-year-old' due to head injuries

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
THANK YOU!!

It's always amusing to see all the armchair internet GM's pontificate on game/related stuff as if they'd been part of a team for 30 yr.

But I didn't know it was possible to get a medical degree online and diagnose illnesses from what is read in the media.:rolleyes:

I'm glad you and Athos are amused by us little people. Heaven forbid a bunch of guys talk football and give their opinions about the team they've followed for 30 years plus on an Internet forum that's designed for exactly that.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Who knows. But stop the judgmental fucking bullshit.
There's probably a better way to put this. I get it but Calm the fuck down.

You've got to understand who labeled his symptoms as those of CTE. I imagine she considers that acronym an umbrella term for all brain disorders/damage.
This may be one of the truest statements here. I'm not sure what he is going through but clearly he needs better diagnosis than mom or any of us wannabe psychologists.

I just hope that Tre gets the help he needs, whatever it is. I really don't quite understand how he hasn't received help, at this point. If his family can't get him help, I hope the Rams, or his friends do.
This is where I fall. Thanks DR. I really don't get why after all the crap that has happened throughout the past year, he doesn't appear to have gotten real help.

Well then, that's the only possible explanation. Discussion over. Kurtfaulk cracked the case of Mason's sudden odd behavior.
Again, I get it. This thread is just an add on to the other one. Not a lot of fresh takes and it is pretty divisive. I just got back into town to find it. Seems it needs to be locked for pure uselessness.

I'm going to stray away from this subject as mental health is something I'm passionate about and this very same discussion has caused me to lose my cool on this board before, on the account that people like fanning the flames... but I hope Mason gets the help he needs, regardless of the cause behind his seemingly abrupt self destructive behavior.
Well put.

He is over 18. Mom has no legal standing to make him do anything. The law is challenging in this respect. Involuntary commitment has a pretty high standard and for good reason - otherwise I would have had a bunch of you assholes in straight jackets long ago.
From my understanding, it is far easier than you are assuming. His actions of late seem sufficient and a direct family member such as a mother would have pretty good standing. Again, just from what I have heard very second hand.

View attachment 15768 Tre is heading down the Marinovich express

Former Raiders QB Found Naked, With Drugs

Todd Marinovich, a former quarterback for the Los Angeles Raiders, has been arrested after police found him naked in a stranger's backyard in Irvine, California. He reportedly had marijuana and what was believed to be methamphetamine at the time of his arrest. Police say they were tipped off to Marinovich after someone called saying a naked man was hiking along a trail in a residential area. They arrived to find Marinovich clutching a bag full of drugs. Marinovich, 47, was once a star quarterback and the Raiders' first-round draft pick in 1991, but in recent years he is more well-known for his frequent run-ins with the law. In 1997, he served three months in jail for growing marijuana at home, and in 2001, was busted for heroin possession. He has previously blamed drugs for the downfall of his NFL career.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats...th-drugs.html?via=twitter_page&source=copyurl

Ah yes... Raiduh Nation. Funny thing (or not) we all said was that MarijuanaVich valued his pot WAY more than football. My cousins went to school with him. It was common knowledge. Nice vetting Al. Not sure I see any kind of correlation here to Mason though.

BTW - wasn't he the stranger in a resident's yard - not the other way around? Just sayin'

I don't like all the hate you guys seem to put forth.

The dude just needs help and needs to establish a liveable life. Get the dude some help. There are a lot of options but he needs something.
Yep. He needs something. Unfortunately, I think many of us are simply tired of all the excuses. It may be reactionary but I wouldn't call it hate.

That's called kidnapping and it's a felony. You can't take an adult somewhere he doesn't want to go - even if your motives are pure. He has to pass the threshold for involuntary commitment first.
Yeah - no. I doubt his mom is going to be manhandling him into a car or anything. Having someone committed for their own safety would be a pretty big stretch to kidnapping.

But with all that has gone on with Mason - be it drugs, CTE, some other brain malady, whatever - it sure seems clear that without help, this is going to end way worse than it already is heading. Sure seems like straight jacket time to me but I'm just one of a great many internet practitioners.

It doesn't mean I don't want the best for Tre - Rams player or not. It means that letting this go on IMO is not good for anyone.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Again, just from what I have heard very second hand.

In case you want to know what it actually takes in Florida:

394.467 Involuntary inpatient placement.—
(1) CRITERIA.—A person may be ordered for involuntary inpatient placement for treatment upon a finding of the court by clear and convincing evidence that:
(a) He or she has a mental illness and because of his or her mental illness:
1.a. He or she has refused voluntary inpatient placement for treatment after sufficient and conscientious explanation and disclosure of the purpose of inpatient placement for treatment; or
b. He or she is unable to determine for himself or herself whether inpatient placement is necessary; and
2.a. He or she is incapable of surviving alone or with the help of willing and responsible family or friends, including available alternative services, and, without treatment, is likely to suffer from neglect or refuse to care for himself or herself, and such neglect or refusal poses a real and present threat of substantial harm to his or her well-being; or
b. There is substantial likelihood that in the near future he or she will inflict serious bodily harm on self or others, as evidenced by recent behavior causing, attempting, or threatening such harm; and
(b) All available less restrictive treatment alternatives that would offer an opportunity for improvement of his or her condition have been judged to be inappropriate.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
More like he hasn't had to grow up mentally since he was in high school because coaches made every decision for him. He was probably walked through everything in college, and given everything he needed or wanted. Then he gets an NFL contract where he's babied by coaches.

As long as this isn't a game being played by a money hungry parent. Then who knows with the ambiguity of CTE. But for now, my money is on the silver platter everything was given to him on since high school.

As Les Snead says all the time. Guess what ?
Guess what it is an Auburn education .
Guess what Greg Robinson seems dumb as nails.
Guess what Tre Mason was caught with a lot of drugs in his possession .
Guess what I feel like he should be getting medical help,& wish Tre the nothing but the best.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
does putting your fist through a wall, or driving 110 mph in a 45 or your mother saying "he doesn't know what he's doing" qualify?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
does putting your fist through a wall, or driving 110 mph in a 45 or your mother saying "he doesn't know what he's doing" qualify?

To be committed? No - most likely not.

consider this - how many people in this thread alone seemed pretty stinking sure he doesn't have a mental illness? Remember all of the - he is just making bad choices, on drugs, is salty because of Gurley, etc. Those possibilities cut against an involuntary commitment.

Of course, we have about 1/100 of the relevant information and the 1/100 we do have could very well be wrong.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
In case you want to know what it actually takes in Florida:

394.467 Involuntary inpatient placement.—
(1) CRITERIA.—A person may be ordered for involuntary inpatient placement for treatment upon a finding of the court by clear and convincing evidence that:
(a) He or she has a mental illness and because of his or her mental illness:
1.a. He or she has refused voluntary inpatient placement for treatment after sufficient and conscientious explanation and disclosure of the purpose of inpatient placement for treatment; or
b. He or she is unable to determine for himself or herself whether inpatient placement is necessary; and
2.a. He or she is incapable of surviving alone or with the help of willing and responsible family or friends, including available alternative services, and, without treatment, is likely to suffer from neglect or refuse to care for himself or herself, and such neglect or refusal poses a real and present threat of substantial harm to his or her well-being; or
b. There is substantial likelihood that in the near future he or she will inflict serious bodily harm on self or others, as evidenced by recent behavior causing, attempting, or threatening such harm; and
(b) All available less restrictive treatment alternatives that would offer an opportunity for improvement of his or her condition have been judged to be inappropriate.
Am I wrong or does it seem that he checks all boxes?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Am I wrong or does it seem that he checks all boxes?

We have woefully insufficient information for that. The first step is clear and convincing evidence that he has a mental illness. The participants in this thread scarcely seem convinced of that - and that's just step 1.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
To be committed? No - most likely not.

consider this - how many people in this thread alone seemed pretty stinking sure he doesn't have a mental illness? Remember all of the - he is just making bad choices, on drugs, is salty because of Gurley, etc. Those possibilities cut against an involuntary commitment.

Of course, we have about 1/100 of the relevant information and the 1/100 we do have could very well be wrong.
True enough but no one here is an expert in this. I think @WestCoastRam might have some insight into this. I believe he is the only one here that actually has some experience in the field.

Personally, I'd like to stop talking about this as none of us has all the info and it only seems to be breeding bad blood when most of us simply want to talk Rams football. I'm not saying you are wrong on your opinions. Frankly, I couldn't suggest who MIGHT be right in any of this.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
We have woefully insufficient information for that. The first step is clear and convincing evidence that he has a mental illness. The participants in this thread scarcely seem convinced of that - and that's just step 1.
But there is also - even if many here are correct and it is drug related - intervention steps (at least in CA and NV) that would allow for a forced commitment to rehab. I know this because a family member in both states was forced into rehab though neither of them had admitted to having a problem. It was basically a choice of jail or rehab. And neither of them had yet harmed anyone else.

Regardless, I think we will all agree that he needs help and probably most if not all here hope he gets it.

Bruce2980

Starter
What is far fetched about it? Do brain injuries always present over an extended period of time?

Cutting edge science barely understands the brain - much less a bunch of dudes on a message board.

What is far fetched is that IMHO a reasonable response to this situation is that the mother would have contacted the NFL and asked them WTF. NFL doctors would have been there in a minute. Has she even taken him to the hospital to run any tests? Sounds fishy to me. He is probably messed up some how, I don't have any reason to doubt that, even the police made statements about his mental health, and yet she is not concerned, or curious enough to get a professional opinion? Isn't that fishy?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
What is far fetched is that IMHO a reasonable response to this situation is that the mother would have contacted the NFL and asked them WTF. NFL doctors would have been there in a minute. Has she even taken him to the hospital to run any tests? Sounds fishy to me. He is probably messed up some how, I don't have any reason to doubt that, even the police made statements about his mental health, and yet she is not concerned, or curious enough to get a professional opinion? Isn't that fishy?
I think she did. Either that or it was done by the PD. Still, the information is spotty on details.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert

Regardless of what you or I think about the Mom's veracity, the NFL, and the Ram's should be knocking hard on his/her door. If you (NFL/Ram's) really care enough about player safety to investigate a retracted story, threaten a 1 year ban for players who do not respond to a request to answer questions how can you (NFL, Rams not be investigating this whether he or his Mom wants to cooperate or not.

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I've never said Tre is, or isn't suffering from football related injury. Just saying if someone in my family was acting the way Tre is, talking crazy, doing weird stuff, and causing damage to the house and himself, me and mine would have that family member getting some kind of help, wheather they wanted us to or not, and laws be damned. Maybe Tre's mother has 4 locks on her door but I sure as hell wouldn't want to sleep in the same house as Tre.
If Tre is continued to be allowed to come and go and drive a car, there will be more to come.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
I've never said Tre is, or isn't suffering from football related injury. Just saying if someone in my family was acting the way Tre is, talking crazy, doing weird stuff, and causing damage to the house and himself, me and mine would have that family member getting some kind of help, wheather they wanted us to or not, and laws be damned. Maybe Tre's mother has 4 locks on her door but I sure as hell wouldn't want to sleep in the same house as Tre.
If Tre is continued to be allowed to come and go and drive a car, there will be more to come.

I sort of understand what you are trying to say... But do you know how hard it is to force someone in to mental health treatment. The most you can do is a 72 hour hold where you get piss poor treatment/counseling and then you are released. I pretty sure they have already done that (requested by police) for Mason.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I sort of understand what you are trying to say... But do you know how hard it is to force someone in to mental health treatment. The most you can do is a 72 hour hold where you get pee pee poor treatment/counseling and then you are released. I pretty sure they have already done that (requested by police) for Mason.

Orchid, do you know what the procedure is for that 72 hour hold? I mean isn't that enough time, no matter how piss poor the service, to come up with some sort of evaluation as to his mental health?

It just begs the question - what did they see or not see during Tre Mason's evaluation that caused him to be released? If he showed signs of mental problems what are they able to do about it? Or are they just released no matter what they find, be it drug use, concussion issues, or schizophrenia ?

Ram Pat

Rookie
I recently watched the movie Concussion.

Very sobering, to say the least.

CTE would be a very logical explanation of Mason's behavior, wouldn't it?

I'll just leave it at that.
Drugs also have a effect on the brain, 1000 x more likely to bring on mental illness. Almost every mental illness (patient..HA) that is incarcerated in one fashion or another has a drug history!!!

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Drugs also have a effect on the brain, 1000 x more likely to bring on mental illness. Almost every mental illness (patient..HA) that is incarcerated in one fashion or another has a drug history!!!

Not true unless you count prescription drugs AFTER you are diagnosed.

Status
Not open for further replies.