Tre Mason stakes claim to starting job

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Tre Mason stakes claim to starting job
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/13283/tre-mason-stakes-claim-to-starting-job

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Early last week, St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher was again asked whether he was fine with continuing to rely on the running back by committee approach he had deployed for most of the first half of the season.

Fisher's initial response indicated that there would be no change from the system that offered opportunities to Zac Stacy, Tre Mason and Benny Cunningham in nearly equal parts with a little Tavon Austin sprinkled in. But Fisher then hedged a little further before finishing his response.

"When they got their opportunities they all were productive," Fisher said last Monday. "The average per carry is about the same. We’ll see. We may settle into something this week."

The Rams did settle into something in their 13-10 win against the San Francisco 49ers and his name is Tre Mason. Mason made his first career start against the 49ers and carried the bulk of the work on a day when the Rams drastically reduced the workload of the rest of the backs.

By the time the day was through, Mason had 19 carries, which tied for the most by a Rams running back this season. The numbers weren't overwhelming -- he finished with 65 yards for an average of 3.4 yards per attempt and had a catch for negative-8 yards -- but it was important to note that the Rams at least seem to have designs on Mason being the focal point of the running game moving forward.

Cunningham still spelled Mason frequently on third downs and obvious passing situations, but Mason was the go-to guy for most of the day. Cunningham had four carries for 10 yards and actually led the Rams in receiving with three catches for 38 yards when he wasn't busy helping in pass protection.

As for Stacy, he was active, but the Rams' leading rusher of a year ago did not play a single snap.

Although all signs point to Mason being the primary ball carrier moving forward, that's not something he's spending much time thinking about.

"I prepare every day like my number is going to be called," Mason said. "Coming into the game, my number was called and I just do what I do every day in practice. I think of games as a practice with a lot of people watching."

Based on the recent trend, those people watching will get to see much more of Mason as the season wears on.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I was very excited to see them start TM. Not sure why they didn't last game, but better late than never.

I'm bothered that they continually rush him up the middle though. They need a much better mix of edge rushing too. Let Robinson do his thing.

For Tre to really hit the next level, they need a passing game. It's got to come around or this is going to be just like the SJ39 era.