Travis Bond

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stel

Starter
I didn't realize this guy was under contract, but apparently he has a two year (2015 & 2016) contract with us. I know there was discussion he could develop but haven't heard anything recently (and that may be the answer!). Big lad with long arms. I remember some discussions last year that he looked good in camp and might be best moving to OG.

We also seem to have a ROT named Steve Baker signed for 2015 and 2016. Another big lad at 6' 7.5".

Seem to be more than just camp bodies since they have two year contracts.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OL is so hard to project in that way. It would be nice if Bernie or JT could sit down with Fish, Snead, and even Boudreau and put an article together on those young guys who, to quote Snead "can come out of nowhere."

Not only the two you mention but Jones as well. Just some basic Q&A on how they have been coming along.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Bond spent most all of his reps in TC & pre season in the ORG post. I did read some reports they got him some time in at ORT but his feet are just way to slow to even be considered there @ ORT. So Bond for now is just a ORG OL'er. not good if your coach is Bou. Bond remained on the PS all season last yr.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/st.-louis-rams/travis-bond/

Travis Bond signed a 2 year / $1,100,000 contract with the St. Louis Rams, including an annual average salary of $550,000. In 2015, Bond will earn a base salary of $510,000. Bond has a cap hit of $510,000.

Rams already had a back up ORG (single post player) named Davin Joseph sign and paying him close to 2 mil so another single post player @ ORG was no need. Bond is a massive large OL'er who has been in several NFL cities now.

Now that Davin Joseph is GONE, Travis Bond may get a real chance to be a reserve OG. But Bond must show he can swing to stick here. Last few TC's & pre seasons the Rams have used Brandon Washington who is also under contract as a ORG/ORT but his best post IMO is @ OLG.

This last week Rams added another ORG/ORT in Reynolds who has NFL starting experience so the Rams do have some reserves on that right side. They also have the 6-8 340 pound ORT Steven Baker who has been banging around the NFL since 2012. Baker also remained on the Rams PS all season in 2014.

Stel

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bond is a free agent. He was waived during final cuts on August 29, 2014 per Wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travis_Bond#St._Louis_Rams

My recollection was that he was signed to the practice squad for last season. The Rams site, nfl.com, and espn still show him on the Rams roster without a number. Both sportrac.com and overthecap.com still show him as under contract with the Rams for the next two years.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
OL is so hard to project in that way. It would be nice if Bernie or JT could sit down with Fish, Snead, and even Boudreau and put an article together on those young guys who, to quote Snead "can come out of nowhere."

Not only the two you mention but Jones as well. Just some basic Q&A on how they have been coming along.

I think the sitting down with Fisher ship has sailed.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Ever since we lost Shelley Smith and Rob Turner the cupboard has been bare at backup OG. No one on the roster other than current starters should be considered starter material or spot starter material right now (don't think you can include Jones or Rhainey due to injury, can't rely on them necessarily). Signing Reynolds actually helps a lot. We still need so much more.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
oh man are we desperate...I actually liked Bond in college...Really the whole UNC connection during the 2009-2012 seasons, they seemed to recruit pretty well. He looked decent last pre-season...but again, if he can't get any time with this unit, how good can he be?

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I liked Bond in the preseason. He was very solid, and his massive size is excellent. I wouldn't have a problem keeping him, but not as a starter hopefully.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
My recollection was that he was signed to the practice squad for last season. The Rams site, nfl.com, and espn still show him on the Rams roster without a number. Both sportrac.com and overthecap.com still show him as under contract with the Rams for the next two years.

Bond is under contract with the Rams...Footwork was his issue last year seemed like he was in quick sand, he struggled laterally, but it's a new year...God knows, he's big enough.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Travis Bond was one of the guys who jumped out at me during training camp last season. I first noticed him when I attended one of the OTA's in May, and he was impossible to miss. He was the one guy one the field who made G. Robinson look small.

He got a look at RT some in the OTA, and very early in Training Camp, before settling in at RG with the 2nd unit exclusively. He is physically imposing, and is one of those players, when he gets his hands on you, its over. He actually moves pretty well for a man his size. The problem with Bond, the further they got into the Preseason, the more his mental mistakes plagued him. He missed way too many assignments in Preseason Games, and it eventually cost him a roster spot.

They seem to love his potential, but from what I have heard, they question his "aptitude" . But I will be surprised if he isn't given a real long look and should compete again for a depth spot.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Just throwing shit on a wall here, but with Bond and Bakers size, I wonder if Snead, Fisher or Boudreau have some sort of theory about backup Olinemen. Like the size and strength can help make up or other shortcomings? I know some baseball teams think like this when drafting pitchers....if they cannot develop touch and accuracy they can at least throw hard and can be put in a bull pen.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I doubt the coaches and GM would say anything negative or express doubt about any of the players. That would just be counterproductive. Maybe they would say that this guy needs to work on this and this guy is very close but they wont come out and say that we don't think this guy could ever start.