Travin Howard one of the most interesting players to watch as final cuts loom

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
usatsi_13256935.jpg

By: Cameron DaSilva | 10 minutes ago

After the Los Angeles Rams’ win over the Denver Broncos in the third week of the preseason, Sean McVay acknowledged how many difficult decisions he and the front office will have to make less than a week from now. Teams have to trim their rosters down to just 53 players by Saturday afternoon, which will be no easy task for the Rams.
“It’s going to be a lot of tough decisions, but that’s a good thing,” McVay said. “I think that’s a credit to really Les (Snead), his group and our coaching staff to be able to on-board and create some competitive scenarios and situations. You want it to be that way.”

Last week, he called these decisions “champagne problems,” indicating that they’re good problems to have. One player who will be worth watching this week in the preseason finale is Travin Howard.
He had a terrific performance against the Broncos and is making a strong push for a spot on the regular-season roster. He made a team-high eight tackles in only 25 snaps, consistently finding the ball and making plays.

Micah Kiser’s injury could open the door for Howard to carve out a role on defense, even though Bryce Hager has essentially been handed the starting linebacker job. Howard has been impressive all preseason, showing the athleticism that helped get him drafted by the Rams in 2018.
“He’s done a nice job and I think you see the athleticism, you just felt the suddenness and the explosiveness where he arrived and he arrived violently tonight,” McVay said of Howard. “I thought Dakota Allen showed up a couple times as well. Those guys have done a nice job under Coach (Joe) Barry’s leadership. We, obviously, lost a really good player in Micah who’s going to be out for a while and we’re going to need those guys to step up and we’ll see exactly how it shapes itself out.”

The Rams held Hager out against the Broncos “because he is basically our Mike linebacker,” McVay said, so there’s really no chance for Howard to be a Week 1 starter. Allen has impressed equally as much, which might hurt Howard’s chances of making the team.
He could be a backup to Cory Littleton, though, playing more in coverage than on that strong side against tight ends and right tackles.
“Then really we’re seeing around Cory and those other guys, who’s going to make a name for themselves and make it hard for us to cut it down to 53,” McVay added.
Howard has some work to do before final cuts are made, but he’ll have a chance to impress once again on Thursday night in Houston.

Name
Coleman
:unsure:
Here's an idea, let's trade Bryce OrdinaryJAG Hager, and keep young studs like Natrez Patrick, Dakota Allen and Travin Howard. Heck, for the Mike Spot next to Cory Littleton we can play either Clay Mathews or the forgotten Samson Ebukam…...ie. let Obo be the pass rusher opposite Fowler and move Ebukam inside to Mike position.

Any takers on this scheme??
:bueller:

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Here's an idea, let's trade Bryce OrdinaryJAG Hager, and keep young studs like Natrez Patrick, Dakota Allen and Travin Howard. Heck, for the Mike Spot next to Cory Littleton we can play either Clay Mathews or the forgotten Samson Ebukam…...ie. let Obo be the pass rusher opposite Fowler and move Ebukam inside to Mike position.

Natrez Patrick was an ILB at Georgia and Dakota Allen is an ILB as well. Ebukam can stay as an OLB/Edge. I wouldn't be against keeping the young guys over Hager. Sure there will be some leaning curves to get around, but these young guys are more energetic, hungry and athletically talented than Hager ... IMHO. Fir cryin' out loud!! I want ILB's that play downhill vs. the run. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired of having ILB's that WAIT for the play to come to them and struggle to get off blocks.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't be against keeping the young guys over Hager. Sure there will be some leaning curves to get around, but these young guys are more energetic, hungry and athletically talented than Hager ...

To me this is the biggest point, yea Hager has more experience right now but is limited athletically and doesn't offer playmaking ability. Why not keep the young kids and let them develop. I doubt this happens however because we held Hager out of the Denver game indicating he will be our starter against CAR. But IDK I've seen Dakota and Travin flash a ton in two preseason games and honestly think they would be better keeps. Maybe it would take a few games for things to slow down for them, but using my eyes they just have better instincts and physicality.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I'm going to trust the coaches on this one that they think Hagar's going to be the best choice to fill that spot while making as few MISTAKES as possible.

Because he knows the defense better than some of these other guys that we could keep anyway.

I'm not quite ready to trade him yet or exclaim him just a guy until we see him play for a little while.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I see Allen and Howard as next yrs starters on the inside. They will not be able to afford Littleton with other needs and these guys look like the real deal.

oldnotdead

Legend
Travin Howard has the speed lacking in Dakota Allen but Allen has shown the instincts and hitting absent in Howard. Allen's instincts and playing style remind me of Denzel Perryman. Like Perryman, Dakota has average speed for a LB, but his aggressive play and natural instincts stand out. Oh, and Perryman is the Chargers' starting MIKE LB. I can see Dakota on early downs and Hager on passing downs as he has the speed lacking in Allen.

Howard is already behind Littleton on the depth chart so I don't understand the so-called problem. It's simply a matter of Hager stepping into Micah's spot and Allen behind him. These writers need to look at the roster and depth chart before they write stuff like this.

The guy on the bubble is Young, because he's being pushed by Carraway, Patrick, and Durham. As well as Patrick has played his lack of speed shows. He's many times a step late and he got outrun by the Bronco's backup QB. It's why Patrick played largely at ILB in college. Young has flashed but has it been enough is the question.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Who is going to trade for an "OrdinaryJAG?" Teams don't trade for players like that. Plus, Hager has a lot of special teams value. He'll be sticking around.

Ram65

Legend
Travin Howard has been all over the place making tackles. He is a little undersized but, adds good depth. Allen looks like a keeper. Won't surprise me if he overtakes Hager. I hope the ILbers can hold up this year. Littleton was weak in run support but, it was said he got a little bigger and stronger. It is hard to find players that can shed, tackle and run fast enough to cover RBs and TEs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think the Rams will only keep 4 ILB... Littleton > Hager > Howard > Allen. Will allow them to keep 6 OLB.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Travin Howard has been all over the place making tackles. He is a little undersized but, adds good depth. Allen looks like a keeper. Won't surprise me if he overtakes Hager. I hope the ILbers can hold up this year. Littleton was weak in run support but, it was said he got a little bigger and stronger. It is hard to find players that can shed, tackle and run fast enough to cover RBs and TEs.
Yeah give Allen some time with Wade's system and coaches and I have to think he might end up being pretty damn good.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think the Rams will only keep 4 ILB... Littleton > Hager > Howard > Allen. Will allow them to keep 6 OLB.
That works. Both Matthews & Patrick play inside and outside anyway, so depth isn't a problem.

TexasRam

Legend
That works. Both Matthews & Patrick play inside and outside anyway, so depth isn't a problem.

Yea we can skimp on the ILBers due to flexibility.

I hope we keep Durham, Patrick and Obo, These three all show huge QB killing potential. And even Josh Carraway before injured.

oldnotdead

Legend
People obviously don't understand the role Ebukam plays. He's the only complete OLB the Rams have. Mathews was that way when he was young. Setting a hard edge is huge in stopping the run and that's why teams tended to run away from not towards Ebukam. People think because Mathews is listed as a OLB he's replacing Ebukam. I doubt that since Mathew's isn't as good as he was in coverage. Also because IMO he's going to move to Brocker's DE position on passing downs. So he and Ogbo will be rotating there on passing downs.

Mathews timed at 4.67 at the combine in 2009 which coincidentally is the same as Ogbo's low at the combine. That said watching Clay last year it looked pretty clear he's lost a step. He's probably running close to 4.8 right from watching him in pass coverage. That said I've posted how good technique can cover a players flaws, and that is especially true in pass rushing. After 10 years, I expect Clay's technique to be as good as it gets so we shall see.

Howard has been behind Middleton for a reason. He's proved nothing except he might be worthy of keeping his backup role. If you actually break down Patrick's plays his lack of speed shows. His pressures would be sacks if he was faster. It's why they moved him to ILB in college. He's too slow to play outside.

Hager will start because he's earned it. It was not a given that Kiser would start. Dakota Allen doesn't have the speed for coverage so he's basically an early down ILB at best. Yes, Hager has made some judgment mistakes but it's to be expected since he rarely played. Last year he only had 53 defensive snaps the entire year behind Barron and Wilson. I expect his play to improve with experience. Up to now, he's been a pretty good ST's player.