Travin Howard has been getting some time....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Glad to see that... Reeder has played well, but Howard gives us some speed..... I'm wondering if the Ravens fiasco prompted us to look at getting another real ILB in the rotation rather than using Rapp as the Hybrid LB with Littleton as the ILB... I know we were using Marquis and Rapp in the same line up and Marquis has been hurt, but either way..I've been wanting to see Howard get some time... next to Littleton...

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So instead of starting a separate thread for it I noticed in mop up time the three young guys in Evans, Edwards and Corbett all played but Whitworth and Blythe got 8 plays off. They brought in Brewer and Shelton in. Shelton went in at Center but did they move Edwards to LT and Brewer to G for that? I honestly didn't notice that part.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Glad to see that... Reeder has played well, but Howard gives us some speed..... I'm wondering if the Ravens fiasco prompted us to look at getting another real ILB in the rotation rather than using Rapp as the Hybrid LB with Littleton as the ILB... I know we were using Marquis and Rapp in the same line up and Marquis has been hurt, but either way..I've been wanting to see Howard get some time... next to Littleton...

We'll see. Mcvay doesn't like to rush guys in. Reader has played well but hes very raw and needs to add some beef and strength. I'd hate to see him get put aside and then eventually cut go to another team and become an all pro type of player. I mean the guy has been solid so far. That's pretty impressive for being a rookie and one that didn't get a ton of playing time before he was called on

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
So instead of starting a separate thread for it I noticed in mop up time the three young guys in Evans, Edwards and Corbett all played but Whitworth and Blythe got 8 plays off. They brought in Brewer and Shelton in. Shelton went in at Center but did they move Edwards to LT and Brewer to G for that? I honestly didn't notice that part.
UDFA Rookie Chandler Brewer took offensive snaps @ Left OT.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
UDFA Rookie Chandler Brewer took offensive snaps @ Left OT.
Interesting so they left Edwards at RG. Something to watch going forward. Maybe because the refs were abusing him so they kept him where he was to try to get him more comfortable.

TexasRam

Legend

Quite a Oline for a few plays. All first year players i beleive. Like hitting for the cycle in baseball.

fearsomefour

Legend
Howard getting some plays the last couple of weeks.....but no Young is Allen.
In the case of Allen, on the practice squad of two teams now, makes me wonder with him. Why be isn’t able to translate excellent athleticism to the field yet. Maybe he just doesnt get “it” yet.
Young was a starter in Baltimore. You would think with starters experience he would have the inside track on being brought up.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Interesting so they left Edwards at RG. Something to watch going forward. Maybe because the refs were abusing him so they kept him where he was to try to get him more comfortable.
Good observation..... It appears to me that Kromer is set on David Edwards being his starting RG for the long term future. Edwards began on the left side after the Noteboom/Demby tries @ LG.

What caught my attention here was the when he got his first opportunity to flip Edwards to the right side he did it. It took the unforeseen Brian Allen IR event & then Kromer going with Austin Blythe for the first time as his starting center to make this possible.

Kromer appears to be set on his current starting young OG's (Corbett/Edwards) with Brewer as his main swing reserve along with Coleman Shelton.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Howard getting some plays the last couple of weeks.....but no Young is Allen.
In the case of Allen, on the practice squad of two teams now, makes me wonder with him. Why be isn’t able to translate excellent athleticism to the field yet. Maybe he just doesnt get “it” yet.
Young was a starter in Baltimore. You would think with starters experience he would have the inside track on being brought up.
Travin Howard has been Cory Littleton's back up. Littleton entered college as a safety too. Wade has been utilizing CL @ the MLB'er position on 2nd & 3rd downs all season. Rapp has been used in CL's post on 2nd & 3rd downs. Wade has shifted Rapp more @ safety as of late. Thus using Howard in the role where Rapp has been.

Weak Side ILB'er Travin Howard has been here for two seasons worth of OTA's/ Training Camps/ Preseasons Young has not. TH was a college safety, now has grown into an NFL ILB'er now with a serious good burst of speed & great tackling & coverage skills. Wade is now test-driving Littleton's back up with the highly presumptive departure of UFA CL in 3 months.

Snead obviously has lined up three replacements for Cory Littleton with Travin Howard, Kenny Young & Dakota Allen. The 2020 MLB'er position also has three lined up to replace UFA Bryce Hager with Troy Reader, Natrez Patrick & Micah Kiser.

I am pleased & content with Snead's moves & plan in these two units.(y):)

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Vinny told me before the Panthers game that the coaches love Howard, he's a thumper. Just needed time.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Vinny told me before the Panthers game that the coaches love Howard, he's a thumper. Just needed time.
Sure appears that Snead found another sleeper hit with that 7th round 2018 selection. If Howard begins to show out from this point on Snead/Wade will get a good ideal of just how much Cory Littleton departure from this defense in 2020 will be. A lot or not as bad as most think.

We do know some about Howard that he was a tackling machine in college anywhere on the field.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Travin Howard has been Cory Littleton's back up. Littleton entered college as a safety too. Wade has been utilizing CL @ the MLB'er position on 2nd & 3rd downs all season. Rapp has been used in CL's post on 2nd & 3rd downs. Wade has shifted Rapp more @ safety as of late. Thus using Howard in the role where Rapp has been.

Weak Side ILB'er Travin Howard has been here for two seasons worth of OTA's/ Training Camps/ Preseasons Young has not. TH was a college safety, now has grown into an NFL ILB'er now with a serious good burst of speed & great tackling & coverage skills. Wade is now test-driving Littleton's back up with the highly presumptive departure of UFA CL in 3 months.

Snead obviously has lined up three replacements for Cory Littleton with Travin Howard, Kenny Young & Dakota Allen. The 2020 MLB'er position also has three lined up to replace UFA Bryce Hager with Troy Reader, Natrez Patrick & Micah Kiser.

I am pleased & content with Snead's moves & plan in these two units.(y):)

I wouldn't presume that Corey is leaving in the offseason. Although you could save money letting him walk and going with Howard in his place, Corey could stay with us for a very reasonable deal. He's been a play maker for us, and has played Pro Bowl level ball since being made a starter.

But if he were to leave, we have some really good depth at ILB....

I don't see Hagar returning...and I also think that Reeder's development may mean that Kiser's return from injury may happen with another team. As a UCLA fan I like Kenny Young, but honestly he wasn't very good until his last season in Westwood, and he's been inconsistent in the pros with limited chances..he's got experience on them, but honestly Howard and Natrez Patrick both would have more upside potential than Kenny Young.... and I really hope Natrez moves back to ILB. I'm glad the opportunity came for him to make the team as an edge rusher, but his physical skill set could be the ultimate answer for us at ILB.

I'd also say that it's not a guarantee that Wade returns next year, and thus keep the same scheme, with Wade being up in age.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I wouldn't presume that Corey is leaving in the offseason. Although you could save money letting him walk and going with Howard in his place, Corey could stay with us for a very reasonable deal. He's been a play maker for us, and has played Pro Bowl level ball since being made a starter.

But if he were to leave, we have some really good depth at ILB....

I don't see Hagar returning...and I also think that Reeder's development may mean that Kiser's return from injury may happen with another team. As a UCLA fan I like Kenny Young, but honestly he wasn't very good until his last season in Westwood, and he's been inconsistent in the pros with limited chances..he's got experience on them, but honestly Howard and Natrez Patrick both would have more upside potential than Kenny Young.... and I really hope Natrez moves back to ILB. I'm glad the opportunity came for him to make the team as an edge rusher, but his physical skill set could be the ultimate answer for us at ILB.

I'd also say that it's not a guarantee that Wade returns next year, and thus keep the same scheme, with Wade being up in age.
Ref. your Wade comment.....IMO the huge Jalen Ramsey trade deal was made by Snead to help stimulate Wade to continue his DC job with the Rams.

IMO Wade was highly disappointed with the 2019 play of starting corners Peters & Talib. Both prevented him from being able to stop teams offensives with his type defense. The loss of safety JJ III was also a big hit he could not overcome with these 2 corners.

I think Wade voiced his frustrations on this to Snead/McVay. Thus, those two Ram Orgs went about to ensure Wade was not in full time frustration mode. Result was the Ramsey trade. As we know this was one serious decision for Snead/McVay.

#1-Tying up so much future cap funds in one corner.
#2-Utilization of ultra priceless future draft capital & assets to acquire Ramsey
#3- Include the huge gamble up front of the above with no guarantee of signing this corner past the 2020 season.

Until this Ramsey deal I was of the opinion that this would be Wade's last season as the Rams DC. Now I believe its highly unlikely that wade will retire the next 2 to 3 yrs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Ref. your Wade comment.....IMO the huge Jalen Ramsey trade deal was made by Snead to help stimulate Wade to continue his DC job with the Rams.
Yeah Wade has gotten a lot of flak for performance that has been moreso player issues. Last season people were calling for his head until the vets the Rams loaded on defense picked things up for the playoff run.

This season we see improved run defense from letting Suh walk. They finally made a move to get rid of Peters and add a scheme fit shutdown CB which should pay dividends, along with Rapp coming on at safety.

Now as I look at this roster he is making things work with subpar blindside rush and one very average CB in Hill. Our LB group is low on talent too. And 5T needs upgrading.

Rams are probably smart enough to focus on getting Wade the right pieces moreso than looking to replace him.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I felt like seeing Howard out on the field was to put more speed and size on the field vs. a QB like Murray. As we saw Murray did not run the ball much.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm really loving this new rotation we're using... Reeder / Littleton on probable run downs, and Littleton/Howard on probable passing downs. Howard was all over the field last night when he was in and make some nice plays.

This keeps Taylor Rapp as more of a pure Safety..a spot he's really fit into well as the season progresses.

I'm just liking us having 2 real linebackers on the field more ....