Travin Howard feels fully healthy after missing 2020 season with knee injury

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Travin Howard feels fully healthy after missing 2020 season with knee injury​

Inside linebacker is a position the Los Angeles Rams must still sort out before the season begins. They have plenty of options, but not a single player right now is a lock to start in Week 1.

Travin Howard was slated to start next to Micah Kiser last year, but near the end of camp, he suffered a torn meniscus. The injury cost him his entire 2020 season, forcing him to miss every game.

Howard was re-signed as an exclusive rights free agent this offseason and now has another chance to start at inside linebacker. Fortunately, he’s feeling good at this point in OTAs and doesn’t appear to be limited.

“It feels like I ain’t been out there in so long, it’s been a whole year, but rehab is going real well,” he said on the “Rams Revealed” podcast. “I’ve been here the whole time. The training staff has been taking real good care of me and I’m back full strength and I’m ready to go.”

One great sign for Howard is that he’s not even wearing a brace on his knee. He’s had a sleeve on it in OTAs, but a brace hasn’t been needed. And after calling himself fast, he said there are no lingering effects from the injury slowing him down.

“Nah, I’m not wearing a brace,” he said. “I’ve got a sleeve on, but that’s as much as I’ve got right now. But I feel real confident, real comfortable and I’m ready to go.”

Howard recounted what happened during that practice when he injured his knee. At first, he didntt hink it was anything too serious, feeling a little pop. He actually stayed on the field and played the next four plays before going to see head trainer Reggie Scott and finding out the bad news.

He even broke down in tears afterwards because of how devastating it was right before the season began.

“That day, it was pretty tough. I didn’t really know what it was at first because my knee, it was a step I always do. It was a regular step. I was running straight and my knee popped,” he said. “I didn’t think it was that bad, I thought it was a little nick. I shook it off and actually played the next period, like four plays and I really couldn’t move like that. Then I went to Reggie, he checked me out. He told me a meniscus. I’m familiar with the meniscus. Like, my brother tore his meniscus back in high school. I’ve been playing football a long time, I know guys that have torn their meniscus and they were back in like six weeks, so I’m thinking it’s going to be a six-week process, I’m going to miss a couple games and get right back in and come in full-swing. But Reggie told me it was a complete tear and I was out for the whole season and that was a heartbreak. I ain’t going to lie, I went to my car and I broke down crying.”

Among those who helped Howard through the rehab process were Joe Noteboom, Brian Allen and Rob Havenstein, all of whom suffered knee injuries of their own at one point or another. Howard’s recovery has gone well and it’s great to see him on the field for the team’s early practices, but the real competition will come in camp.

Howard said he doesn’t know exactly what his role will be or who the Rams plan to start at linebacker, but he’s taking it a day at a time. If he impresses in camp and the preseason, don’t be surprised to see him starting alongside Kiser, Ernest Jones, Troy Reeder or Kenny Young.

Ram65

Legend
If he stays healthy he could easily be the starter. Sounds like he will be ready for camp and in great shape. Good luck Travin.

dang

Legend
Kiser and Howard starting with depth from Reeder and Jones sounds like the best scenario right now. I see Young as a prime cut candidate if Rams go after a defensive FA.

oldnotdead

Legend
I think Kiser is gone this year unless he can dramatically outperform Jones in TC. The Rams would be foolish to replace Reeder with Kiser who has shown only a propensity for getting hurt. People underestimate how well Reeder played in Staley's scheme. I see the depth chart now as:

MIKE: Reeder, Kiser/Jones
WIL: Young, Howard

I still think that the minute they drafted Jones, Kiser's time up. That said, Jones has a lot to prove if he expects to play in rotation. Coverage was Jone's weakness in college and IMO will be his weakness in the NFL. He's strictly a one maybe two-down player at most. He will have to flash on STs IMO.

dang

Legend
I don’t buy into PFF wholeheartedly but it is a source for rating/ ranking NFL players. For 2021 the Rams have 0 LB ranked in the top 32 but there is an option:

14. K.J. WRIGHT, FREE AGENT​

Somehow still available as a free agent, K.J. Wright is clearly still one of the better linebackers in the league, even at 31 years old. A position switch in Seattle last season only further showed the breadth of what he can still accomplish within a defensive scheme, and he finished the year as the eighth-highest-graded linebacker in the NFL (75.3).

Cutting Young is a good start on assembling the $$$ for Wright.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don’t buy into PFF wholeheartedly but it is a source for rating/ ranking NFL players. For 2021 the Rams have 0 LB ranked in the top 32 but there is an option:

14. K.J. WRIGHT, FREE AGENT​

Somehow still available as a free agent, K.J. Wright is clearly still one of the better linebackers in the league, even at 31 years old. A position switch in Seattle last season only further showed the breadth of what he can still accomplish within a defensive scheme, and he finished the year as the eighth-highest-graded linebacker in the NFL (75.3).

Cutting Young is a good start on assembling the $$$ for Wright.

Is he a douche, or why is he still out there?

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
Is it just me or does Travin Howard seem a little small (219 pounds?) to be starting at MLB for the Rams? I know I am WRONG but it just seems like he will be taking on a pounding on the inside.