TRANSCRIPTS: Washington Redskins Head Coach Jay Gruden, QB Kirk Cousins- Conference Calls

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Washington Redskins Head Coach Jay Gruden – Conference Call 9-16-15

(On replacing WR DeSean Jackson)
“You don’t replace a guy like that, you just have to try to get everybody else ready to go and hope they step up. We’ve said all along, we have a pretty deep receiving core with (WR) Ryan Grant and (WR) Andre Roberts and (WR) Jamison Crowder and (WR) Rashad Ross had very strong preseason games. We feel like they’re all ready to step up by committee. But, to replace a guy that runs as fast a DeSean, that’s been as productive as DeSean in his career, I’d be lying if I said we will. We just have to hope these guys come in and do what we think they can do, be efficient and make play some plays when they’re given the opportunity.”

(On if he has to change what WR Pierre Garcon does, or if the other receivers have to step up by committee)
“I think you’re probably about right. Pierre is going to get his fair share of touches we hope. (TE) Jordan Reed will have to step up and get some more opportunities probably. We feel good, like I said, with the guys that we have. I think Pierre has proven that he can be a solid No. 1 receiver in the National Football League. Jordan’s emerging as a quality tight end. These other guys have just been waiting for their chance. I feel like Ryan Grant has been chomping at the bit, he’s ready to go. Andre, we initially signed as a free agent to be our No. 2, but then DeSean fell in our lap and he was relegated to No. 3, so he’s ready to step up. These guys are ready to go.”

(On what RB Alfred Morris brings to the offense)
“Consistency. He’s a guy that will always be there for you, practice and in games. You can’t discount that fact. I’ve always said the number one quality a running back has to have is durability and he’s proven to be very durable throughout his career. You can always count on Alfred to get the tough yards. We can’t function offensively without a good, strong running attack. We know how good St. Louis is against the run and it will be a great challenge for our offensive line and Alfred. He’s steady-eddy for us and we count on him heavily.”

(On the kind of opener G/T Brandon Scherff had last week)
“He had a good opener. Pretty solid. He came in and had a Pro Bowler right over him Week 1. He competed right away. He knew the challenge was great for him right out of the get-go. He was prepared. He worked hard. He won some battles and lost a few, but we’re happy with the way he competed. We’re happy with the guy we picked and we think he’s going to be a good, solid offensive linemen for us for a very long time.”

(On what stands out first to him about the Rams’ defense)
“I just think the speed that they play with. I think (Defensive Coordinator) Gregg Williams is obviously one of the best defensive coordinators out there. You can tell they play with a lot of passion and that’s half the battle. And then you throw a very talented defensive roster for him to go along with a good coach and they play hard, it’s a great defense. They have a great scheme, number one. They play extremely hard. But most of all, they are very, very talented and athletic.”

(On what he sees from DT Aaron Donald on tape)
“I see him very disruptive. You see a guy like Donald and I remember him coming out, a dominant player in college. Dominant senior bowl. Just very, very disruptive. He’s a great pass-rusher. The one thing you think you can do against him is you can run the ball and get some movement on him, but he’s so quick off the snap, he’s very disruptive in that regard also. He’s got the total package for a defensive lineman, three technique. He can play anywhere. He can be disruptive and is one heck of a player for them.”

(On how he chooses who to scheme against on the Rams’ defensive line)
“You just have to challenge your offensive lineman and tight ends and backs and know what type of game it’s going to be. You take one play off and it could be the difference in a sack/forced fumble or the difference in the game and we learned that the hard way last week. We had a couple of plays we wish we had back. We had a couple of holding calls that really took us out of some field position. Some offensive PIs that hurt us. You take one lazy pass set against these guys and it’s the difference in a possible sack/forced fumble or a first down. We just have to be really, really focused in on our pass sets, our run sets - everything - our assignments, because one false step late off the count and they’ll make you pay.”

(On how much of a concern his punt coverage is after giving up a touchdown return last week along with facing WR/PR Tavon Austin this week)
“They’ve been challenged. They’re obviously not thrilled about what happened and we’re coaching them up. Each week, there’s going to be a very good punt returner that we’re going to have to face, and (WR) Tavon (Austin) is one of the best in the business. Miami WR/PR Jarvis Landry was very good last week and Tavon is a little bit different. Jarvis is more of a one-cut, power return guy. Tavon can go anywhere, anytime and make a ton of people miss, so we better be disciplined with our lane integrity and we better break down. We’ve got to get some good hang time on our punts. It’s all been addressed, but going out and doing it will be a great challenge for us.”

(On the thought process behind naming QB Kirk Cousins the starter and what he saw from him in the opening week)
“It was not just the opening week. We named him starter because of the whole offseason program and training camp and then obviously the preseason games. We just felt like he gave us the best chance to win. It had nothing to do with the poor play of anybody else. It just had to do with Kirk and how good he played and I thought he played pretty well for the first game out. We did a good job with the running game. He managed the game. He had two unfortunate turnovers. One was just bad luck. He threw the ball to Jordan Reid and Jordan Reid turned up right when the ball was coming to him. He thought it was a scramble drill and he turned up and ran. The other one was a great play by their defensive back. Interceptions are going to happen. The big thing is you’ve just have to keep fighting and keep battling and know that he’s in for the long haul and we’re behind him 100 percent. We’re thinking he’s going to be a solid quarterback for this franchise.”

(On if he’s concerned about the pressure from people outside of the franchise that want to get QB Robert Griffin back in the game)
“I think you just have to go with what you think is best for the football team and right now we think that’s Kirk. We like RGIII. There’s a lot of talk that we don’t like him, but it’s not true at all. We like Kirk, we like Robert, we like (QB) Colt (McCoy). All three of them have done a great job of competing. They’ve done everything we’ve asked them to do, it’s just we had to pick one and we picked Kirk. Robert is on this football team. We’re coaching him up. We’ve got to get him ready to play. We know that backup quarterbacks are forced into action and he’s got to keep himself ready to go and we have faith in him if he does have to go.”

(On if there’s a common trait he tries to look for in developing a quarterback to build around)
“Each quarterback is different. You try to build your offense based on their skill set. Number one, quarterbacks have to be good decision makers. They have to be accurate and they have to have some anticipation. You can’t hold the ball. You can have the strongest arm in the world, but if you don’t get the ball out of your hands and don’t anticipate or have accuracy, you don’t have a chance in this league. You’re really looking for accuracy, some anticipation, obviously pocket awareness is very, very important. There’s a lot of intangibles that are very necessary for the quarterback position, but when you’re starting out, you’re looking for accuracy and anticipation and then obviously pocket awareness.”

(On how much QB Nick Foles changes the Rams offense from what he saw last year)
“I don’t know how much they’ve changed. Obviously, they have a new coordinator. Their running game is similar. But, Nick Foles, I liked Nick in Philadelphia, I think he was a good, solid quarterback. He can keep plays alive. He’s not so much a running quarterback, but he has great pocket awareness. He can hold the ball until the last second and give his receivers time to get open. He’s an accurate guy and very, very tough is one thing that I noticed about him playing against him. He can take a lot of shots and he stands in there. He’s not afraid at all and that’s another trait you want to see in a quarterback. Can he stand down in the face of the pass rush and still deliver the ball accurately and on-time and I think Nick has shown the capability to do that. He’s a young quarterback developing also. I’m sure the Rams have high hopes for him and deservedly so. It’ll be a great challenge for us.”

(On if Foles playing in the NFC East before helps him in terms of looking at him in the Rams’ new offense)
“Not really. It’s a totally different offense. We’re really studying the scheme. Obviously, you look at the talent of each individual player. But, you’re more looking for quarterbacks than scheme, what kind of offense they run and protection schemes and running schemes and all of that good stuff. Most of the quarterbacks, all of the quarterbacks that we’re going to face this year are very, very talented. It’s also trying to stop the guys like Tavon Austin, the strong running game that the Rams have, a big tight end and everybody else, so we have a great challenge ahead of us.”

(On how important it is for the franchise and team to get a win this week)
“It’s important. Every game is important obviously, but when you start out with your first two games at home, you hate to start 0-2 obviously. So, there is a sense of urgency on our team and there should be every week that you play. More so because it’s our second home game and you don’t want to start out 0-2. And anytime…the last couple of years we haven’t had a lot of success, we were 3-13 before I got here and 4-12 last year. The last thing you want to have creep into your mind is, ‘Here we go again.’ We’ve got to try to change the mindset of our football team and try to get some positive things happening for us so they do start to believe in what we’re doing and what they’re doing. I feel like they are starting to turn the corner in that regard, but it’d be nice to have some positive results and that’s very, very important for us to try and get. We were very close last week. It boils down from one more revolution and the game’s different. Unfortunately, we didn’t get it done, but it’s very important for us to turn the corner this week.”

Washington Redskins Quarterback Kirk Cousins – Conference Call – 9-16-15

(On if he buys his linemen a steak dinner this week to help prepare them for the Rams defense)
“Well I think they certainly deserve one after how well we ran the football last week and the way they protected for me. They’ve done a great job. They’ve worked really hard. (Offensive Line) Coach (Bill) Callahan’s done a great job with them and there’s no doubt we have a test coming this weekend. We got our hands full, so it’s going to take a lot of work. Believe me, I want nothing more than to be lavishing them and showering them with gifts come the end of this season with the way that they’ve played. So we’ll take it one week at a time and certainly excited for the opportunity we have.”

(On how much of it is adjustments his team tries to make and how much of it is just executing their own game plan and not worrying about the others)
“Oh, we certainly have to study what they do and get a feel for it and knowing (Defensive Coordinator) Coach (Gregg) Williams they’ll have some brand new stuff that we’ve never seen before. So in that sense, you have to just play and react to what they do. They’re well-coached, disciplined team and talented. They’ve made it tough on opposing teams and quarterbacks for a reason. We definitely need to be on our details and on our stuff. If we’re not sharp with our own offense, it’s going to be a long day. In addition to that, we need to understand what they’re doing and also be prepared to make in-game adjustments after we see what they choose to do.”

(On what it was like being in the quarterback room at Michigan State with QB Nick Foles and Houston Texans QB Brian Hoyer)
“It was quite a deal. At the time, you don’t realize where everybody’s lives are going to end up, back in the fall of 2007. The other thing was at that time Drew Stanton had just been drafted in the second round pick to the Lions, and he’s now had a long career out there now in Arizona. In a short span of time, it ended up being four NFL quarterbacks and (Michigan State QB) Connor Cook is probably now on his way from Michigan State. So pretty neat time for the Spartans, but yeah, the three of us were all in the same room and Nick and I were kind of competing both being freshmen at the time and sharing time on the scout team. We got to know each other well that year, went to math class together and spent a lot of time together. It’s been really neat to see our football careers and our lives kind of go on paths that have led us to this point. It’s pretty unique.”

(On the math class that he and Foles took together)
“We had a math class together our second semester of our freshman year before he ended up at Arizona. It went on like that. We were freshmen together, came in together as classmates our first year.”

(On how he and Foles did in the math class)
“We both did pretty well. We were well prepared for it. Yeah, we did awesome.”

(On if he’s kept in touch with Foles over the years)
“Yeah, we have. I’m not a guy who wears people out with texts and calls, but Nick and I have always texted back and forth at times. Last year after we played each other in the Eagles-Redskins game, we texted. I see him in the offseason at different events, or maybe Superbowl weekend or PAO or whatever the event it. We may meet each other, see each other, catch up. Our wives met this past offseason, so that’s kind of the way the NFL works is you’re all in it together and you’re going through similar experiences just in different places. Certainly as quarterbacks you have that shared experience and you both kind of understand what it takes and what you’ve gone through. We have kept in touch. I wouldn’t say that we’re texting every day, but we have kept in touch.”

(On who steps up on his team now that WR DeSean Jackson is out with an injury)
“I think it’ll be a variety of people. Certainly (WR) Pierre (Garcon) becomes our No. 1 receiver and we have a great tight end in Jordan Reed. (WR) Ryan Grant’s a younger player we feel very confident with and (WR) Andre Roberts has been very experienced and done a lot for us. (WR) Rashad Ross will be the player who will be active now, who was inactive last week. So have a lot of different guys who can help us and we feel like we’ve had a lot of depth at that position.”

(On if he looks back on past game film of the Rams-Redskins games to study different things)
“Yeah, it certainly gives us maybe more familiarity than you would have with a team you haven’t seen in several years. We’ll go back, watch that tape along with several other games and compile a plan. Certainly wasn’t the result we wanted last year. The Rams did a great job coming in here and doing a good job defensively against us. So we’ve got to have a much better plan and a much better execution of that plan coming in this week.”

(On what he thinks are some qualities that make RB Alfred Morris good)
“First of all, he’s just very durable and very steady. He hasn’t been out or missed time or disappeared for us at times. He’s always been there. He’s been consistent and steady, stayed healthy and been productive. I think he’s a guy who treats the game…he’s a professional. He respects the game and he works hard. He pays attention to detail and he cares about it. It matters to him. When you approach it that way and you work very hard and stay healthy, good things can happen.”

(On what similarities he sees in Miami Dolphins DT Ndamukong Suh and DT Aaron Donald how he accounts for him on the field)
“Yeah, I think he’s the real deal. I think he is as good as advertised. I think he’s in an elite category probably right up there, best I don’t know, two or three at his position in the entire NFL. He’s just done a really, really good job for them. It’s a great challenge for our offense, for our offensive line and we…I’m getting used to this now in the NFL. You’re going against top players every single week and the Rams are certainly no different.”

(On if being able to throw on the run is a big part of his game)
“I just think it’s a good change up anytime you just sit back in the pocket and take seven step drops and allow high-end pass rushers to do what they’re paid to do. I think it plays right into their hands, so when you can change the launch point and move around a little bit, I think it at least can keep defenses guessing and that’s always a good thing. I’m certainly comfortable doing it but at the same time I like doing whatever’s going to keep a defense off balance.”

(On what it’s like for him being quarterback for the Washington Redskins)
“Well, I think it’s a great opportunity because it is a football crazy town and there is such a tremendous fan base and so much history with this organization. It’s a tremendous opportunity. If you win here and make good on that opportunity, then there’s no shortage of benefits. That’s how I view it, certainly as a blessing. It’s a thrill to be part of an organization with so much history and so much success in the past with superbowls and championships and just big names. As a result, we have a great fan base, a very loyal fan base and we want nothing more than to give them something to cheer about and get them excited about us.”

(On if he’s recognized around town)
“I blend in pretty well and I like to keep it that way. Where our team facility is, is about 45 minutes outside the city. It can be pretty sleepy out here and I like it that way. But there’s no doubt that this fan base is excited and when I’m walking around town in the offseason and things, even as a backup, they’ll give you encouragement and support and just want to tell you they’re pulling for you. So it’s pretty neat to be a part of a fan base like that.”

(On an area he feels his team needs to focus on this weekend against the Rams)
“Yeah, I felt like…well we did a lot of good things on third down. We ran the ball well. We ran a lot plays. Sustained some good long drives. I think just finishing drives in the red zone will be very important. Coming away with more points. We had I think 10-plus penalties in the game, so penalties will be a very important thing that we can…can we stay out of those first-and-20s or third-and15s, where penalties just put you in a tough position. So staying ahead of the chains and positive downs will be very important and finishing drives, coming away with points and not stalling it once we get down to into the strike zone or the red zone.”

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
(On if Foles playing in the NFC East before helps him in terms of looking at him in the Rams’ new offense)
“Not really. It’s a totally different offense. We’re really studying the scheme. Obviously, you look at the talent of each individual player. But, you’re more looking for quarterbacks than scheme, what kind of offense they run and protection schemes and running schemes and all of that good stuff. Most of the quarterbacks, all of the quarterbacks that we’re going to face this year are very, very talented. It’s also trying to stop the guys like Tavon Austin, the strong running game that the Rams have, a big tight end and everybody else, so we have a great challenge ahead of us.”

I have to think the Skins' defensive staff is crapping their pants watching the tape of that Seattle game. All the talent that has stacked up on the Rams roster seems to be coming online at the same time now. Cook has always been a beast in waiting but never could show up on game day at least not consistently. Bailey was always a favorite of our fan base because it's obvious the dude can be an impact receiver. Tavon frustrated all of us that saw him play at WV and just never looked comfortable. Kendricks was always a rare TE who could knock dudes out of a play in the running game or shock defenses in the pattern but never did get utilized for more than that blocking. To see it all come together against an elite defense in game one is not a good sign for the Skins.

Then you have Quick chompin at the bit to come back, and the dude was dominant last year before injury. Mason coming back most likely from that hammy to resume his dangerous explosiveness out of the backfield. And of course how can we forget Gurley who is a straight freak? That dude gives this offense a TD waiting to happen every time he touches the ball.

This offense is so un-Rams-like it isn't even funny man. The Skins fans that saw their team get drubbed last season haven't seen anything. I'm serious. And I realize we have every reason to be cautious in our optimism. But I don't care. This offense is different. We have a coordinator that is creative and instinctive in his calls, and who goes for the throat. We have a QB who can execute downfield throws at key moments.

Bring it on Skins. Me and my Kool-Aid high are ready to take on all comers!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The really bad news for the Redskins is, they are going to start out the season going 0-2 at Home!:D

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
I think the win vs Sea was a stepping stone in turning that corner because we lose that game in years past.A win vs Wash on the road will give the team even more confidence.