TRANSCRIPTS: Tampa Bay Buccaneers Head Coach Lovie Smith, QB Jameis Winston

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Tampa Bay Buccaneers Head Coach Lovie Smith – Conference Call – 12/15/15

(On coming off a tough loss and being able to bounce back quickly with a short game week)
“Disappointing loss of course. Any time you lose, of course, it’s disappointing. For us, a lot was at stake. I thought we would play better. We didn’t. That’s life in the NFL sometimes. When you don’t play as well as you think you should, you want to get to back on the field as soon as possible. So, that’s why playing a Thursday night game is big for us. Of course, the Rams had a big win last week. Talented ball club, we’re excited about playing.”

(On how much he has to change going into this Thursday night game)
“With the limited amount of time, I don’t think you can do a lot of major changes. But it’s not like this game surprised us. We knew that we were having a Thursday night game right after the Sunday game, so prepared a little bit before. But again, once you move on, we had a walk-thru yesterday. We have a walk-thru today and we pretty much play.”

(On how much further along is his team from his first team last year)
“Well, we’ve made progress. When you have the first pick in the draft, of course, there’s a reason for that. But, just looking at this year, it’s not like we really showed up the first game of the season. We really got blown out that game. We fought through adversity and having a 24 point lead on the road and losing, but the team has fought back. We won some big games on the road and I just know from being with them each day, we’ve made a lot of progress. We’re headed in the right direction. We have some good, young players that want to be coached and do what we ask them to do, but again, we’re not there yet. Hopefully, we can finish up strong and continue that growth.”

(On how Buccaneers QB Jameis Winston has progressed and what it’s like having a talented rookie quarterback)
“Well, he is a rookie. He was a rookie quarterback coming in, but Jameis Winston has been just outstanding in any way you want to evaluate a player. A young player coming in having to earn everything, earn his stripes, knowing his role within the locker room, knowing his role for our offense. Gaining his teammates’ trust by your play on the football field. On the football field, it’s documented how intelligent he is and he’s a football junky. He can throw a football, so everything you’re looking for in a franchise quarterback, he has. He came in well-advertised, but you could say that he’s even been better than that.”

(On if anything Winston has done surprised him)
“No, because we did do a lot of research, got to know him, his family, where he’s from, everything from early age on. Every step along the way with the evaluation, it checked off. It was an easy choice once we chose the direction to go, we went with him. He’s been perfect for what we want to do. Again, everything we want him to be is exactly what he’s been.”

(On if he had any concerns about Winston’s off the field issues)
“We did our research before and we felt very comfortable with Jameis being a Buccaneer and could not be happier now that he is.”

(On what the key has been for Buccaneers RB Doug Martin having a nice bounce back season)
“I think when you talk about a guy coming back, it’s what they’ve done before to prepare to have this type of year. Doug was outstanding in the offseason last year, had an outstanding training camp. He’s healthy. Injuries can really, of course, slow down a progress for a running back, any player. But, he’s been healthy all year. Again, he was great in training camp and put him in a position to play well. Then, you have to do it in the regular season and he’s answered the bell each game. We have a commitment to the run, just like the Rams do. There will be two very good running backs on the football field Thursday night. Again, we’re excited about everything that Doug has done. Offensive line, of course, share in some of the praise he’s gotten because they’ve done a great job.”

(On his memories from coaching in St. Louis)
“Well just St. Louis in general, my family and I, we loved our time living in St. Louis, especially the Chesterfield area. My dealings with everyone in the Rams organization, of course, starting with (Rams Owner/Chairman) Stan Kroenke was great. We loved our time there. The only thing I know is the St. Louis Rams. But again, when you’re done with a place, you have such warm…I’m here partly based on what we were able to do with the Rams. I owe them so much. It’s always special when you get a chance to come home as we look at it. We’re just looking forward to the game this week.”

(On how DT Gerald McCoy is playing along with Rams DT Aaron Donald)
“I knew a lot about Gerald McCoy before I got the job here and again, he’s been exactly how he was advertised. Outstanding leader, great worker. Nobody works harder than him. He’s a force inside as an interior lineman. Couldn’t be happier with what Gerald has done. Gerald can play the run. He’s equally good at playing the pass and that’s a hard combination to get. Looking at Aaron Donald coming out in the draft, just loved what he brought to the table and that’s what I’ve seen from him in the league. Another great outstanding inside rusher. Plays the run, plays the pass, plays hard. Two outstanding interior linemen plus. There’s a lot of good defensive lineman playing, but those are two of the better ones around.”

(On what he sees on tape from Rams RB Todd Gurley)
“Did a lot of work on him coming out of college, too. He’s a special running back. I talked about how excited we are about (Tampa Bay RB) Doug Martin, but Todd has great size, can make the cuts, can run in between the tackles, make you miss in the open field, can run over you. He can do it all. He’s a complete running back and there’s a commitment also to the run. (Assistant Coach/Offense) Rob Boras of course is doing a great job with him. I know he has a commitment to the run and when you have a player like Todd in the backfield, you want to feed him the ball and I can see why.”

(On if he coached with Boras in Chicago)
“Yes I did. Rob Boras is an outstanding coach. Again, has a good mind as far as running the football. Good mind in the passing game. He’s doing a great job and he’ll continue to do a great job.”

(On if he saw the potential for Boras to become a coordinator in the NFL when they were coaching together)
“Yes, Rob had a wide range. And a lot of times when you coach the tight ends, you’re involved with the passing game and of course you’re involved in the running game quite a bit. I know Rob was a coordinator I think at UNLV before that. You saw him heading in that direction.”

(On what he thinks of the color rush uniforms)
“Excited about it. I like different things. I’ve enjoyed seeing what some of the other teams are doing on Thursday night. I love our colors. Of course, I talked about how much I loved my time with the Rams, so I’m excited about the product on the field. But also, the new colors too, I think everybody will like them.”

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Quarterback Jameis Winston – Conference Call -12/15/15

(On how he feels things have gone for him so far)
“I believe it’s going well.”

(On the Rams interviewing him during the pre-draft process and if he felt they would try to move up in the draft to pick him)
“I was just excited for the whole draft process. When they hired (Quarterbacks Coach) Chris Weinke as the quarterback coach, I thought there was going to be a good chance that I might go there, but it didn’t turn out that way.”

(On what he remembers about his visit with the Rams)
“I never visited St. Louis.”

(On his pre-draft meetings with the Rams coaching staff)
“It was well. Like I said, me and Coach Weinke had a previous relationship, so it was very chill. It was great just to get in there and meet everybody and talk some ball.”

(On what his previous relationship was like with Weinke)
“We both played quarterback at Florida State, so I talked to him and chatted with him a couple of times.”

(On what kind of adjustments he had to make to his game in the NFL)
“Just taking care of the football and making the smart decision. Making the game more simple and relying on everyone around me to make plays.”

(On if he ever felt overwhelmed or if he felt comfortable from the start)
“Very confident and always comfortable from the start, but Iust had to make some adjustments to get better. My main goal was just to get better every single week so I can help the team out.”

(On how frustrating Sunday’s loss was to the New Orleans Saints considering playoff implications)
“You’ve got to put it behind you, build on the positives and let’s try to make a run toward the end of the season. You never know how things may turn out.”

(On how different coverages are now from what he saw at the beginning of the year and how teams are trying to surprise him with the types of defenses they play)
“Every week you’re going to get some type of new look, whether it’s a coverage thing or whether it’s a different type of front. Defenses, they usually stick to their base defenses when they get to the thick and thin because that’s what they do. In college, people try to mix up looks and stuff, but not necessarily have success because that’s not what they do. In the league, very disciplined defenses and you’ve got to make sure your eyes are at the right place at the right time.”

(On how much the game has slowed down for him as the year has gone on)
“I don’t know if it’s really slowed down. I’m just trying to get better every single week and make good decisions.”

(On what he sees from the Rams defense)
“A great defense. I was talking to the quarterbacks earlier, talking about (CB) Lamarcus Joyner about what a great player he is and how he is overlooked. Playing with him at Florida State really changed my view on him because he’s great player. (The Rams) have so many players, even with the injuries that (they) do have, the personnel and the urgency of the defense is very impressive.”

(On if he keeps in contact with Joyner)
“I haven’t talked to him since probably pro day.”

(On what he sees from Rams DT Aaron Donald on film)
“I got the privilege to play against Aaron Donald in college. I just knew what type of player he was there. His college performance has definitely transitioned to the NFL. He’s playing well. Obviously, one of the best interior, if not the best, defensive linemen in the NFL. What he does from the inside position is amazing, how he can accumulate sacks the way that he does, and he’s an inside guy. I’ve been talking about Aaron Donald since I’ve been in the ACC and I could talk about that guy all day. He’s a top-notch guy.”

(On how many times has Donald sacked him when he was in college)
“I don’t really recall.”

(On what makes Donald so special)
“His quickness. It’s quickness and his ability to shed blockers. He makes the pocket just a bad place to be with his abilities to pressure the quarterback.”

(On if he’s had any difficulties adjusting to a short game week)
“No difficulties, just have to be on top of your game, got to be very detail-oriented and make sure that everyone is on the same page. We’ve got to realize that the other team is going through the same situation. Can’t feel sorry for yourself, you’ve just got to do what you do and try your best to play well.”

(On what has allowed Buccaneers RB Doug Martin to have a bounce back year)
“Definitely, our offensive line and I think what (Buccaneers Offensive Line) Coach (George) Warhop has done with our offensive line, not only in the running game but in the pass game as well, those guys have really stepped up falling behind the head of (Buccaneers G) Logan Mankins, who’s a terrific left guard for us. We have so many guys on that offensive line that look up to him and more specifically, our young guys. We have two rookies, (Buccaneers T) Donavan Smith and (Buccaneers G) Ali Marpet, who basically just watch everything that he does, so they try to be perfectionists like him.”

(On how much has the offense changed without having Buccaneers WR Vincent Jackson)
“Well, we’ve been in this position before and luckily we have a great offensive coordinator who’s always prepared. We have a strong running game, get other guys involved. So, (Buccaneers WR) Adam Humpries and (Buccaneers WR) Donteea (Dye) are going to have to step up once again. They did it early in the season and they did a great job and I expect them to do the same.”

(On if he got to know RB Todd Gurley during the draft process)
“Yes, sir. Todd Gurley is my guy.”

(On if he thinks about all the talk of Rookie of the Year between he and Gurley)
“I don’t think about it at all. We’re great friends. I’m just so happy for his success. To do what he has done in limited games. He hasn’t played the number of games I’ve played, so I really admire his ability to run the football, just like with Doug (Martin). I love running backs that just continue to take that pounding and beating and keep just trying to get yards.”

(On what he thinks about the Color Rush uniforms)
“I’m very excited to be in those uniforms. Nike did a great job, once again. It kind of changed the mentality of the NFL to see those colors. I know the players are excited to wear them.”