TRANSCRIPTS: St. Louis Rams vs. Miami Dolphins (8-28-14)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

St. Louis Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher

(Opening Statement) – “Obviously, this took on an appearance of a fourth preseason game. I think both coach (Joe Philbin) and I were on the same page as far as not playing players. They held a lot of players out. We did so too. That’s not typically something we do, but again, after our experience last week we thought it was the best for our team. We gave a lot of younger players an opportunity to play. We actually went exclusively to a 3-down defensive line front, the odd front, because our numbers were down at defensive end. We got some, really, some much needed playing time for our line-backing corp. As far as the game’s concerned, you know, there’s some good things in there. There’s some frustrating things, you get frustrated at some of the young mistakes that the players made. But, all in all, our training room’s empty right now. That’s good news.”

(What did you see at linebacker, just off the top of your head?) – “I’d have to look at the tape. I’d have to really look at the tape. We played, obviously, Darren (Bates) and Ray Ray (Armstrong) early and then we wanted to look at the rest of the guys. We’ll look at tapes as far as linebackers are concerned. From a commitment standpoint, for most of them we told them you get a chance to play in the preseason, the young guys, and they did.”

(Your thoughts on your quarterback play out there, both guys that you had in?) – “Yeah, I thought Austin (Davis) was a little excited early. He sailed a couple of balls but settled down, made some plays. You know, Garrett (Gilbert) was pretty much under siege there at the end. All he needed to do was make a play, one or two plays … we have a long-range field goal kicker who that could have won the game for us.”

(Jeff, how tough is the call at defensive line, where you’ve got a lot of depth, when you start to do the final roster cuts) – “Well, it’s part of the process. We’ve got depth at some other positions. We’ve got depth at offensive line … we’ll have to let some guys go that played well for us. We’ll get together and … you know, this is the hard part about the National Football League right now. In the next couple of days we’ll start reducing the roster to 53. So we’ll have some discussions and go from there.”

St. Louis Rams LB Ray Ray Armstrong

(How do you think it went tonight?) – “It went well. The defense made a lot of plays out there. Everyone stepped up. It’s preseason, so we’ll work those things out. It’s always nice to win a game, but we didn’t win the game, so we still got things we got to go back and fix.”

(What was your activity level especially early on? Get in a good rhythm, how’d you feel it went out there, personally?) – “I felt great. I felt great. Just going out there. Just competing. Just another day. It felt pretty good being home, so it felt pretty good there.”

(Tough time? It’s the last preseason game, you make the team? Do you think about that? Do you feel good?) – “I don’t think about it. I just pretty much play, just leave it all on the field. That’s how I am with everything else.”

(How much does injuries, especially for guys you have to carry into the season who aren’t going to miss a lot of time that you still have to carry, how much does that affect roster composition?) – “We got things that affect … we have a schedule that affects the roster. We got Tru’s (Trumaine Johnson) injury that will affect the roster. You know, Barrett Jones’ injury. So, you know, you can go ahead and they can be a part of the 53 and they can be a part of the Sunday inactives. But those are thing that’ll all fall into play with these decisions.”

(What did you think about (Michael) Sam and (Ethan) Westbrooks? They both seemed like they had their moments out there?) – “Yeah, I mean, I’m going to have to see the tape. Ethan has made a lot of plays every time I look. I didn’t really see anything good or bad out of Mike except that he played hard and got a lot of snaps.”

(Taking into account just total body of work, whether it’s with you guys or somewhere else, did Michael Sam prove in this preseason that he can play in this league?) – “I think he can play in this league as can some of the other guys on this team that had good preseasons.”

St Louis Rams QB Austin Davis

(You put a cap on a pretty impressive preseason don’t you think?) – “Yeah, it was good to get out there and get some reps. It’s the last preseason game to get some of the backups and younger guys a lot of reps so it was really good to just get out there and play. We can learn from a couple of things that happened tonight and there were also some things that were good.”

(Preseason or not it’s got to be fun to start a game?) – “It’s fun to play and to get to through the prep of starting was really good, it was really fun and I enjoyed the experience for sure.”

(You put up good number tonight and good numbers for the preseason, you finished over 100 passer rating so that’s pretty efficient work?) – “Efficiency and moving the offense are key points that we focus on and not turning the ball over to be honest with you. We always just talk about throwing completions so that’s what I’m trying to do and when you do tha