TRANSCRIPTS: San Francisco 49ers Head Coach Jim Tomsula, LB NaVorro Bowman

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
San Francisco 49ers Head Coach Jim Tomsula – Conference Call – 10.28.2015

(On the team chemistry and overall attitude of his team this season)
“Well, I mean, we’ve got a group here that I mean, these guys work. Obviously, we’ve got to win some games. But, we’ve got a good core of guys here and they come to work every single day. So, no complaints on that end.”

(On what he sees as being the path to get back to contention)
“Well, we’ve obviously, the gameday execution. We’ve had a couple extra days here, from a coaching staff perspective, to look at things a little deeper and maybe what we’re doing, trying to get guys in positions that fit their skill set a little better. So, we’re doing those things.”

(On how surprising it is for him to see what Rams RB Todd Gurley has accomplished thus far as a rookie)
“I tell you what, (RB) Todd Gurley is really…I mean, we knew he was a tremendous talent coming out of college, but that guy doesn’t even have the knee brace on. I mean, he’s out there running around. He’s a really good football player.”

(On the challenges the Rams defense presents and now it seems like Head Coach Jeff Fisher has the group he wants now)
“Yeah, he sure does. Obviously, it’s the defensive line and (Rams Defensive Line) Coach (Mike) Waufle. I know, a guy that I’ve always respected. I know how intense he is coaching them. (DE Robert) Quinn and (DE Chris) Long, I mean, all those guys. Then your rookie there from Pitt is…obviously coming out of Pittsburgh, I know a lot about him. Geep Chryst our offensive coordinator, his brother was his head coach. Couldn’t say enough good things about (DT) Aaron (Donald). So, obviously, presents a big problem with that front.”

(On taking over the 49ers in the summer and having a lot of new faces this season)
“Yeah, there are. But again, I mean, we were a little bit spoiled here for a while because there was a lot of a…in this day and age in the NFL with free agency and everything, you’re always having changes. You look at the turnover on our roster, that just keeps going up. We obviously had a little more than most, but that’s just part of it. We’re grinding through. You’ve got no choice. Just keep grinding through.”

(On people’s concern for 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick and his confidence)
“Colin’s here, and Colin’s a very hard-working guy. We feel like he’s extremely talented. None of us played very well the other night. That’s not what we want to be. So, team-wise, we’ve got to make sure we don’t look like that again.”

(On what WR Anquan Boldin’s experience brings to the locker room and on the field)
“Obviously, Anquan has had one tremendous career. It’s well documented, he’s a strong man of faith and service. The off the field stuff, he’s just one of those people that the things you’re seeing on the field, that’s the way he attacks his whole life. So, you’ve got nothing but respect for him.”

(On getting LB NaVorro Bowman back)
“Yeah, ‘Bo’ coming back his first year here back off of that thing and the way he’s worked and what he’s doing is really something.”

(On losing S Antoine Bethea)
“Another guy that when you talk about a really good career and the way he’s always played and the way he represents himself on and off the field. He’s a class individual. He had that thing fixed yesterday and he’s going to be just fine.”

(On the decision to not bring Bowman back last year)
“We just listen to the medical staff with all of that stuff. We go with whatever…they set up the protocols and what we need to do and they monitor that stuff. I don’t get involved in that at all. I don’t know and I don’t pretend to know. We just listen to those guys and we’ve got a lot of faith in our sports medicine department. Stanford is our doctors and they’re really good. We just listen to what they tell us.”

(On the experience of stepping in place of former Head Coach Jim Harbaugh)
“It’s going fine. We need to win football games. I just try to be me, man. I don’t try to be anybody else. There’s a good when you talk about the people that you come to work with every day, this is a really good place. Obviously, we’ve got to win some football games. But, you’ve got a lot of really good people here in this organization.”

(On former Mizzou QB and 49ers backup Blaine Gabbert)
“You know what, I like Blaine Gabbert. You all, I’m sure know a lot about him. Heck guys, I got married in St. Louis so we know about the kind of people that are from that area. I just think Blaine’s a solid individual and I think he’s a talented player.”

(On if he married a St. Louis girl)
“Oh yeah, listen, I’ve been down in Wydown. I got married over there in Little Flowers on the fourth of July. So, I’ve spent a lot of time there. I love the St. Louis Zoo, Protzel’s Deli. That town is a great town.”

(On if he’s looking forward to coming to St. Louis)
“Yeah, I’m not coming in…it’s not a social event this time, you know what I mean?”

San Francisco 49ers LB NaVorro Bowman – Conference Call – 10.28.2015

(On the frustration of being 2-5 on the season)
“It’s frustrating, when you’re used to winning. But, we’re in a tough spot right now. All we can do is keep trying to get this thing together. I’m sure when we get it together, we’ll stack up some wins.”

(On coming back this year to a team he’s no longer used to playing with)
“Yeah, it’s a change. Just going out there and having eight or nine pro bowlers on the defense. You are definitely going to see a drop off, and I think that’s what we’re experiencing. But, everything that we’re experiencing is fixable. Throughout the game as we watch it and go back in the film room, we can see that those things are fixable and that’s what keeps driving us to get out there on the practice field and see if we can get it right on gameday.”

(On how he’s feeling physically)
“I’m feeling fine. Sore as usual. But, really just trying to just keep the knee ready to go, on top of others nicks and bruises that come along with playing the game. I think that’s the toughest part just trying to banish out all those things and still give 100 percent out there. I think my teammates and everyone sees that I’m doing that.”

(On if he expected his recovery process to be as long as it was)
“Yeah, I mean, it wasn’t like I fractured my arm. I had to go through a tremendous surgery and tremendous amount of rehab. Still every single day, just trying to get through everything I could possibly do to make it feel as good as it’s going to feel and go out there and do what I can for my team.”

(On how difficult it was for him to watch from the sideline last season)
“It was difficult. It gave me a different view. A chance to look at the game differently from the sideline and just made my game better on the mental side. I waited my time to get back out there on the field. It’s just a great feeling to be back out there today.”

(On the encounter with Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger that he had earlier in the season)
“Just words of encouragement. I received a lot of that from around the league. Just to receive that from a guy such as Ben, that speaks volumes on the guy that he is and the work that I’ve put in up to this point. He understands what I went through to get back to this point and what it’s going to take to get back to the level of play that I was at prior to this injury. So, it was just a great conversation.”

(On what he sees from the Rams on tape)
“Young, fast team. They’re out there just making the plays that’s out there to make. We’re definitely going to have to go in there prepared like every year. Every year is a tough game with these guys and we’re preparing for that.”

(On what he’s seen from RB Todd Gurley)
“He’s running the ball, man. He’s doing a good job finding the holes and running the ball really well for them. I’m happy for the guy. I’ve been coming off of the injury he’s coming off. I’m looking forward to the challenge.”

(On how things are in the locker room with the struggles they’ve had and if the frustration is getting to the players)
“No, the locker room is tight. We’re coming to work every day like everyone else. We’re just trying to get it right.”

(On how it is playing for the new coach)
“It’s cool. We’re not doing what we expected, but when we signed this thing, we all signed it. We’re all in it together. Win or lose, this is a spot that he’s doing his best to get us out of and us players are too.”

(On how things change with S Antoine Bethea out with an injury and if it’s a case of next man up)
“Yeah, that’s the basic situation. It’s a tough loss for us. Definitely going to miss him and his playmaking ability and his leadership. But, it’s definitely next guy up and hopefully that guy is ready to step in there and help us win a game.”

(On having to step up and be the leader of this group)
“Yeah, but it’s what you play the game for. I play the game to lead guys by example and to go out there and give 100 percent for my guys that are out there with me. That’s all I’m trying to do. The type of level of play and identity, that’s my job. We’re young right now and we’re trying to build our identity and put a staple on this year. That’s how we go and do it every single week. Hopefully, we get to that point. But until then, like I said, the locker room is tight. Everyone is preparing the same way every single day. We’ve just got to get it right on game day and I’m sure we will.”

RedRam

Pro Bowler
San Francisco 49ers Head Coach Jim Tomsula – Conference Call – 10.28.2015

(On the challenges the Rams defense presents and now it seems like Head Coach Jeff Fisher has the group he wants now)
“Yeah, he sure does. Obviously, it’s the defensive line and (Rams Defensive Line) Coach (Mike) Waufle. I know, a guy that I’ve always respected. I know how intense he is coaching them. (DE Robert) Quinn and (DE Chris) Long, I mean, all those guys. Then your rookie there from Pitt is…obviously coming out of Pittsburgh, I know a lot about him. Geep Chryst our offensive coordinator, his brother was his head coach. Couldn’t say enough good things about (DT) Aaron (Donald). So, obviously, presents a big problem with that front.”

Ummm...err...he (AD99) was a rookie last year dude.:thinking: