Transcripts: Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher, QB Austin Davis, and QB Shaun Hill (9-24-14)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – September 24, 2014

(On how the bye week is going and if he’s going to do anything fun with these days)
“We’re going to prepare for the Eagles, that’ll be fun. It’s a little unusual, the players had Monday off so the 24-hour rule became a 48-hour rule so, we looked at everything, got everything corrected yesterday. Came on the field, worked some things out. They were a little fussy yesterday as you can imagine, but they’re back. They got back today, we had a really good session today. Looking at some things that we need to do better and we’re also working some of our younger players into practice. What happens typically is you get going the backups don’t get the reps and so this bye weeks is a good time to get them some reps. This week, basically, is about guys that need the rehab get the rehab, guys that need to recover get to recover and then guys that need the reps, the technique work, get that. You kind of handle everybody a little bit differently this week.”

(On if RB Tre Mason will be getting more reps and if he’s close to dressing)
“Yeah, we’re working him in. He’s doing a nice job on special teams right now and so he’s got a pretty good feel for what we’re doing. There’s always that chance, yes.”

(On how he feels about the early bye week)
“Coaches never complain about their bye weeks when they come, they never do. It is a little unusual. It’s probably the earliest, I think. I’ve ever had one. So, you make the most of it. We’ve got an opportunity to get some guys back. Hopefully, some of the guys, the (WR) Tavon’s (Austin) and those guys that we’ve been without over the last week or so will be able to get back on the practice field next week.”

(On it if’s a different mindset preparing for rest of season after the bye week break)
“No. That’s a long haul, it’s been a long haul since the schedule came out.”

(On if he wants to continue giving an even amount of snaps to RBs Zac Stacy and Benny Cunningham)
“We’ll continue with that. It’s even but when Zac gets going he’s on a roll. He’s in there for a drive, he gets five or six straight carries or something like that, then you’re going to flip them. We’ve always done that.”

(On if there’s been an intentional effort to get TE Jared Cook more involved this year)
“No, I mean he’s work hard. He understands the offense, quarterbacks are getting the ball to him.”

(On what he’s seen from DT Ethan Westbrooks over the last two games)
“He’s averaging 15-20 plays a game which is good. He’ll help to keep (DE) Will (Hayes) fresh and we need that. Will played very well last weekend and part of that is because he’s fresh and Ethan allows him to do that. He’s coming along, he’s got the versatility. We didn’t move him around inside like we did in the preseason but (Defensive Line Coach) Mike’s (Waufle) done a good job with him.”

(Because the four days off during the bye week are now mandated by the league, did he do anything differently before the new CBA)
“We usually were in the three to four day range. We’d give them the weekend. They need the weekend off. Once we finish up here tomorrow, it’s about getting away from football. Go back to your alma mater, watch the game, do something, but get away because we got a lot when you come back. It’s about recharging and getting refreshed and coming back ready to work.”

(On if he can reduce the penalties and what strategies can he use)
“Reduce the penalties? Well we just get them to call penalties and not throw flags when there’s no infraction. That’ll significantly reduce it.”

(On how to reduce the penalties from an officiating standpoint as well as a team)

“You’ll have to talk to New York. I’ll take care of our issues on the field here.”

Rams QB Austin Davis – September 24, 2014

(On his bye week plans)
“Just try to get away and rest. Obviously, once we get back we’ve got 13 straight, so it’s going to be a grind. So, you try to take advantage of the time that we do get off, and get away and just relax.”

(On if he’s going to see his family)
“Yeah, I’m just going to get away with my wife. Try to see my family and just like I said, just relax and take my mind off of football.”

(On his evaluation of his body of work from watching the tape from Sunday’s game)
“It’s hard to watch when you let a game get away like that. The plays that you wish you had back, you go down the list and there’s numerous plays that could’ve made the difference in the ball game. It was tough to watch, but we’ve got to put it behind us and looking forward to getting ready for Philadelphia.”

(On if based on his quarterback rating through two games does he believe he’s a starter in this game)
“I think we’re mostly graded on wins and losses. So we’re 1-and-1-that’s way I look at it. Our football team’s 1-and-2 and we’ve got to find a way to get some wins. So that’s really the only stat that I look at. It wasn’t good enough. We didn’t get the job done. Just wish we could’ve made one or two more plays and a got a ‘W’.”

(On what he wants to get accomplished during the bye week)
“I think you have a little time to get back to the fundamentals. We’ve talked about this a lot at individual time this week during practice. Whether it’s footwork, whether it’s progression reads, just all the things that may get lost as you’re going on during a season. You try to focus on those things during a bye week.”

(On if he’s getting out of town this weekend)
“Yeah we’re going to get out of town and just relax.”

(On if the transition to starter has been easy)
“Well, I think there are a couple of factors. I think just being here for three years kind of understanding the offense and then, I felt as an offense we’ve played well. The O-Line’s done a tremendous job. The receivers have made plays. I have a lot of confidence in those guys. I think it’s more of a unit thing than anything. We’ve kind of grown over the past couple years, just really seeing this team progress.”

(On playing with emotion)
“You put a lot of effort and a lot of hard work into this. I feel like I’m at my best when I realize it’s just a game. We’re out there having fun. When you work all week, throw a touchdown pass or run in a touchdown, when it happens I think you should be excited about it.”

Rams QB Shaun Hill – September 24, 2014

(On how he’s feeling)
“I Feel good. Certainly coming along and I feel good with where I’m at.”

(On if the extra time off during the bye week will help him to get ready for next week)
“Yeah, I feel like it. My mindset is to just stay the course and continue to improve every day.”

(On him looking fairly smooth in pregame)
“Thanks, I appreciate that.”

(On if he felt good during pregame on Sunday)
“Felt good, yeah.”

(On if he could’ve played last week if the team needed him)
“That’s why I was suited up. Yeah, my mindsets’ always been to get back as soon as I can and give them an option.”

(On what he wants to get accomplished during the bye week)
“We have to continue to improve, use this opportunity to get back to the basics and touch up on some of the finer details of what we’re doing. So far we’re on track with that. We have to continue to improve every day, this week’s no different.”

(On if it’s frustrating not being able to play)
“Yeah it is, but at the same time I feel like I can help. There’s certain things that I can do, whether it be talking to certain guys or being another set of eyes for Austin (Davis), or being able to help him on the sideline. Or talking to a receiver or a back, or asking a question to somebody. There’s a lot of things I can do, still help even though I haven’t been able to be on the field playing.”

(On Head Coach Jeff Fisher giving him his bode of confidence)
“I appreciate that. I haven’t been there a long time, so to have his confidence means a lot.”

(On the production of the tight ends this season)
“We’ve got a lot of weapons in the tight end group. They’ve shown up and been productive for us and that’s a group that will continue to be productive for us throughout the year.”

(On if he was injured on the play right before his interception against Minnesota)
“No, it was a few before I believe. It was the naked bootleg that got called back. I don’t remember how many plays prior.”

(On throwing his last pass in the Minnesota game on one foot)
“Yeah that’s kind of how it felt, too. Honestly, you try to fight through things, especially in a position that I’m in. Somebody else has to get you out of the game. They made the right call doing that I wasn’t going to be able to help the team out there. So, yeah, that’s kind of how it went down.”

(On Davis’ biggest improvement from Week 2 to Week 3)
“I don’t know he played great in both games. We had more opportunities to push the ball down field in the second one and he took advantage of those opportunities. So I’d say just more than anything is just added some of the big plays to the offense that we didn’t necessarily get the week before. But that has less to do with Austin and more to do with what the defense was giving us. He definitely took advantage of that this past week.”

(On if he will stick around for rehab or go home over the weekend)
“Luckily for me home is close, so I’m able to do both. But, yeah, rehab certainly is the main part of that.”

(On if he’s expecting to play against the Eagles next week)
“Absolutely. My expectations are to be ready any week. That’s just the mindset I always take. My expectations were to be ready for Tampa, to be honest with you. That’s just the mindset I take and if it doesn’t happen then it doesn’t happen. But that’s the mindset I have to take in order to be ready if it does happen.”

(On if he’s been oft injured)
“Relatively speaking no.”

(On if injuries are always a question mark)
“For a writer probably, for a football player no (Laughs).”

(On if he feels 80 percent or 90 percent healthy)
“Oh gosh, it’s hard to put a percentage on it without going out there and taking live, full speed reps in a game. It’s hard to put a percentage on it right now.”

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rodger Saffold: “You hate bye weeks after a loss”
Watch Rams offensive lineman Rodger Saffold speak with the media on Wednesday of the bye week. (1:42)

Watch Saffold's Comments