TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher, QB Austin Davis, and QB Shaun Hill (10-1-14)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher, QB Austin Davis, and QB Shaun Hill (10-1-14)

Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – Post–Practice – October 1, 2014

(On coming back from the bye week)
“Everything was real good over the weekend. We’re pleased with what took place last week. We focused on specific things for different players and we got a lot done. We’re starting to heal up, think the guys that needed the rest got the rest, young guys that needed technique work got that. Guys got away, we brought them back yesterday mid-morning got a work out in came on the field and got them back in the swing of things. We had one brief period in preparation for the Eagles and we’re back at it, had a real good day.”

(On if the team looks fresher off the break)
“They are fresh and they’re ready to go. They understand the challenges that are ahead of us this week. This is a good football team, this team could be 4-0 (1). You’re talking about a team that’s got five returns for touchdowns already. They played the 49ers well and we’ve got our hands full defensively and great group of special teams players and they’re defense is well coached. Our guys understand that the key this week is preparation. You have to prepare for an uncommon opponent. We have to prepare the best we can for their up-tempo offense. With that being said everything is good.

I also had (QB’s) Austin (Davis) and Shaun (Hill) in my office this morning at separate times. We’re going to go ahead and start Austin for the remainder of the season. It’s not that Shaun lost the job, it’s that Austin earned an opportunity to keep it. Shaun understands, he’s a team player, he’s ready to come in at a moment’s notice. He is healthy enough to play this week and my parting comments with Austin were to not look over his shoulder so he’s going to take this team and run with it.”

(On why it was important for him to make the starting QB decision going into the rest of the season)
“Well it is. I think it’s important that you avoid the questions that you avoid the controversies of things like that and yes I did say that Shaun was our quarterback. My job is to make the right decisions. I felt that I was going to go this way based on the Tampa bay game based on what I saw and then the Dallas game was what really convinced us as a staff and myself. He deserves it, he deserves an opportunity, he’s worked very hard. I think he’s proven that with a week’s worth of preparation what he can do on the field.”

(On what he means by Davis not having to look over his shoulder)
“I’m not going to have a short hook. Look at the league last week, there were some really good quarterbacks had some hard days understand that. I want him to go on that field with confidence and learn how to deal with… and put difficult times behind him and continue to improve as a quarterback.”

(On if this was a hard decision for him to make based on his relationship with his players)
“I have to do what’s best for the football team and in my opinion that’s what’s best for this football team. We brought Shaun in here to backup and I had all the confidence in the world. Who knows what would have happened had he not pulled his quad in Week 1. But, can’t go there right now, have to base these decisions on what’s in front of us and what’s happened just recently and we feel that’s the best decision.”

(On if he thought about this decision over the weekend)
“No as I said my mind has been made up. We just needed Austin to get some extra work during the bye week and those kind of things and so he’s ready to go.”

(On Hill’s health)
“Shaun practiced full today and (WR) Tavon (Austen) was limited and havan’t ruled Tavon out so that’s where we are.”
(On OL Barrett Jones injury progression )
“No. He’s coming, no he’s not ready. He’s very, very close.”

(On how he approaches the Eagles up-tempo offense defensively)
“Officiating crew is going to allow us to sub when they sub and they sub really fast. So when they sub we can sub and we don’t want to calm the guys down that they’re going to allow us time to get line up. They’re high tempo from start to finish, complete- incomplete run plays, penalties they’re going. It’s about our ability on defense to communicate, to disguise looks, to stop the run, to challenge receivers. It’s a wide open offense and can appreciate the job Eagles quarterback nick (Foles) has done in that offense. You can appreciate how this team in one year made the playoffs so it’s quite a challenge for us.”

Rams QB Austin Davis – Post Practice – October 1, 2014

(On his feeling after Head Coach Jeff Fisher told him that he was going to be the starter)
“Well obviously just excited for the opportunity. Just to kind of get a chance to go play. Coach Fisher was very adamant to… you don’t have to look over your shoulder. You all kind of know his philosophy. He picks and guy and he sticks with him. That vote of confidence is huge. We appreciate that and it really helps.”

(On if he felt like this situation was a possibility)
“Honestly tried to not think about it. Just tried to take it one game at a time and prepare and play. Really nothing changes for me. I don’t want to get into the mindset of looking ahead if we just keep doing what we’re doing and take one game at a time and I think it will be much more manageable that way.”

(On if it was hard to not think about this situation)
“Sure, yeah it was in the back of my mind. Just kind of thinking what was going to be the play. What were going to do moving forward. But, like I said, it is what it is and I’m excited about the opportunity.”

(On if told his family the news)
“I told my wife pretty quickly after I found out. She likes to hear the news first. So, I get to her and most everyone else find out through you guys.”

(On if his wife was happy to hear him named the starter)
“Yes she’s excited. But she knows it brings on a little more responsibility. So, just looking forward to it.”

(On if he felt that after his first two starts he earned the starting job)
“It’s hard to say. The only thing that I was focused on was trying to get a win when I did get an opportunity to play. Just wanted to step in and do a good job for this football team. There’s a lot of guys in this locker room that work very hard. I just felt kind of a responsibility to prepare hard, play hard, and kind of keep this season going assuming that (QB) Shaun (Hill) would come back and be healthy. So, you just don’t really think about it and just keep playing.”

(On if he thinks about that when he came to camp he was competing for a roster spot and now he is the starter for the rest of the year)
“Yeah, I think that’s why you do take the cliché approach of work hard every day and take every rep like it’s your last, because you never what’s going to happen in this game with injuries and different opportunities and things like that. So, yeah, it’s a bit of a wild ride. But at the end of the day this team’s looking for me to lead them and I’m up for that challenge and excited about it.”

(On if he will change his approach)
“No, not at all. I think that’s probably for me mentally the biggest thing is just to keep the same approach and keep going at it the way we’re doing it.”

(On if he feels bad for Hill)
“Well I know Shaun handled it very professionally and I know he’s going to support me. I’m going to do whatever I can to support him if anything changes. So, I think we have a great relationship and I don’t see that changing.”

(On if there are some missed opportunities this season in the tight games)
“I think you learn really fast that they’re all going to be tight and there all going to be tough. Try not to look back. ‘Woulda, coulda, shuolda,’ you can’t play that game. We’ve got a really good Philadelphia team that we’re going on the road to play and we’ve got our work cut out for us. Coach said probably our biggest challenge yet across the board. So, we’ve got a lot of work to do. There’s so much ahead of us you can’t worry about what’s behind.”

(On how Hill and QB Sam Bradford helped him adjust to the NFL game)
“A lot, just their approach and their preparation. I think Shaun, just the way he plays the game, his calmness has really helped me. Just watching him play the way he does was super helpful. Obviously watching Sam for two years just schematically, this system, he was really good at it. I got a chance to learn from both of them guys.”

(On whom is the most excited for his opportunity outside of his family)
“That’s a good question, probably me. (laughs)”

(On if during the first two preseason games in the final quarters if he was wondering if he would have a roster spot)
“Again, it’s hard to predict. You try not to think about it and focus on it when you do get a chance to play. Kind of let the roster moves and the stuff that’s out of your control be out of your control. You can’t really do much about. So, I was happy to be out there and happy to play and that’s really the same now.”

(On what he sees as challenges from the Philadelphia defense)
“I think it’s our first challenge offensively verse a 3-4 defense. So, I think communication and just recognition of what they’re doing will be critical. They’re really good. Obviously everyone knows what they do offensively. So, just controlling the football, trying to keep the ball away from them will be key. As always just protect the football, no turnovers. Definitely a good defense. Excited about the challenge and looking forward to it.”

Rams QB Shaun Hill – Post Practice – October 1, 2014

(On Head Coach Jeff Fisher telling him QB Austin Davis will be the starter for the remainder of the season)
“Obviously it’s frustrating but I understand it. He’s got a decision to make and made the decision that he felt was best for the team. So, obviously the team comes first. I’m a professional. I’ll come to work every day and continue to try and help this team any way I can.”

(On how frustrated he is in losing the opportunity to be the starter)
“Yeah, like I said, it’s frustrating. I mean, when you take a step back and think about it, it’s not about me; it’s about the team. Yeah it’s frustrating but at the same time you’ve got to keep going. It’s a tough league for tough-minded people. I put myself in that category.”

“Well to be honest with you, last week I could kind of see the writing on the wall. I wouldn’t let myself go there though. As soon as my mind kind of went to that, I caught myself, ‘You can’t let your mind go there over the bye week.’ So, looking back on it, it kind of seemed like it was heading in that direction.”

(On how he is feeling from a health standpoint)
“Feeling good.”

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – Post–Practice – October 1, 2014

(On coming back from the bye week)
“Everything was real good over the weekend. We’re pleased with what took place last week. We focused on specific things for different players and we got a lot done. We’re starting to heal up, think the guys that needed the rest got the rest, young guys that needed technique work got that. Guys got away, we brought them back yesterday mid-morning got a work out in came on the field and got them back in the swing of things. We had one brief period in preparation for the Eagles and we’re back at it, had a real good day.”

(On if the team looks fresher off the break)
“They are fresh and they’re ready to go. They understand the challenges that are ahead of us this week. This is a good football team, this team could be 4-0 (1). You’re talking about a team that’s got five returns for touchdowns already. They played the 49ers well and we’ve got our hands full defensively and great group of special teams players and they’re defense is well coached. Our guys understand that the key this week is preparation. You have to prepare for an uncommon opponent. We have to prepare the best we can for their up-tempo offense. With that being said everything is good.

I also had (QB’s) Austin (Davis) and Shaun (Hill) in my office this morning at separate times. We’re going to go ahead and start Austin for the remainder of the season. It’s not that Shaun lost the job, it’s that Austin earned an opportunity to keep it. Shaun understands, he’s a team player, he’s ready to come in at a moment’s notice. He is healthy enough to play this week and my parting comments with Austin were to not look over his shoulder so he’s going to take this team and run with it.”

(On why it was important for him to make the starting QB decision going into the rest of the season)
“Well it is. I think it’s important that you avoid the questions that you avoid the controversies of things like that and yes I did say that Shaun was our quarterback. My job is to make the right decisions. I felt that I was going to go this way based on the Tampa bay game based on what I saw and then the Dallas game was what really convinced us as a staff and myself. He deserves it, he deserves an opportunity, he’s worked very hard. I think he’s proven that with a week’s worth of preparation what he can do on the field.”

(On what he means by Davis not having to look over his shoulder)
“I’m not going to have a short hook. Look at the league last week, there were some really good quarterbacks had some hard days understand that. I want him to go on that field with confidence and learn how to deal with… and put difficult times behind him and continue to improve as a quarterback.”

(On if this was a hard decision for him to make based on his relationship with his players)
“I have to do what’s best for the football team and in my opinion that’s what’s best for this football team. We brought Shaun in here to backup and I had all the confidence in the world. Who knows what would have happened had he not pulled his quad in Week 1. But, can’t go there right now, have to base these decisions on what’s in front of us and what’s happened just recently and we feel that’s the best decision.”

(On if he thought about this decision over the weekend)
“No as I said my mind has been made up. We just needed Austin to get some extra work during the bye week and those kind of things and so he’s ready to go.”

(On Hill’s health)
“Shaun practiced full today and (WR) Tavon (Austen) was limited and havan’t ruled Tavon out so that’s where we are.”
(On OL Barrett Jones injury progression )
“No. He’s coming, no he’s not ready. He’s very, very close.”

(On how he approaches the Eagles up-tempo offense defensively)
“Officiating crew is going to allow us to sub when they sub and they sub really fast. So when they sub we can sub and we don’t want to calm the guys down that they’re going to allow us time to get line up. They’re high tempo from start to finish, complete- incomplete run plays, penalties they’re going. It’s about our ability on defense to communicate, to disguise looks, to stop the run, to challenge receivers. It’s a wide open offense and can appreciate the job Eagles quarterback nick (Foles) has done in that offense. You can appreciate how this team in one year made the playoffs so it’s quite a challenge for us.”

Rams QB Austin Davis – Post Practice – October 1, 2014

(On his feeling after Head Coach Jeff Fisher told him that he was going to be the starter)
“Well obviously just excited for the opportunity. Just to kind of get a chance to go play. Coach Fisher was very adamant to… you don’t have to look over your shoulder. You all kind of know his philosophy. He picks and guy and he sticks with him. That vote of confidence is huge. We appreciate that and it really helps.”

“Honestly tried to not think about it. Just tried to take it one game at a time and prepare and play. Really nothing changes for me. I don’t want to get into the mindset of looking ahead if we just keep doing what we’re doing and take one game at a time and I think it will be much more manageable that way.”

(On if it was hard to not think about this situation)
“Sure, yeah it was in the back of my mind. Just kind of thinking what was going to be the play. What were going to do moving forward. But, like I said, it is what it is and I’m excited about the opportunity.”

(On if told his family the news)
“I told my wife pretty quickly after I found out. She likes to hear the news first. So, I get to her and most everyone else find out through you guys.”

(On if his wife was happy to hear him named the starter)
“Yes she’s excited. But she knows it brings on a little more responsibility. So, just looking forward to it.”

(On if he felt that after his first two starts he earned the starting job)
“It’s hard to say. The only thing that I was focused on was trying to get a win when I did get an opportunity to play. Just wanted to step in and do a good job for this football team. There’s a lot of guys in this locker room that work very hard. I just felt kind of a responsibility to prepare hard, play hard, and kind of keep this season going assuming that (QB) Shaun (Hill) would come back and be healthy. So, you just don’t really think about it and just keep playing.”

(On if he thinks about that when he came to camp he was competing for a roster spot and now he is the starter for the rest of the year)
“Yeah, I think that’s why you do take the cliché approach of work hard every day and take every rep like it’s your last, because you never what’s going to happen in this game with injuries and different opportunities and things like that. So, yeah, it’s a bit of a wild ride. But at the end of the day this team’s looking for me to lead them and I’m up for that challenge and excited about it.”

(On if he will change his approach)
“No, not at all. I think that’s probably for me mentally the biggest thing is just to keep the same approach and keep going at it the way we’re doing it.”

(On if he feels bad for Hill)
“Well I know Shaun handled it very professionally and I know he’s going to support me. I’m going to do whatever I can to support him if anything changes. So, I think we have a great relationship and I don’t see that changing.”

(On if there are some missed opportunities this season in the tight games)
“I think you learn really fast that they’re all going to be tight and there all going to be tough. Try not to look back. ‘Woulda, coulda, shuolda,’ you can’t play that game. We’ve got a really good Philadelphia team that we’re going on the road to play and we’ve got our work cut out for us. Coach said probably our biggest challenge yet across the board. So, we’ve got a lot of work to do. There’s so much ahead of us you can’t worry about what’s behind.”

(On how Hill and QB Sam Bradford helped him adjust to the NFL game)
“A lot, just their approach and their preparation. I think Shaun, just the way he plays the game, his calmness has really helped me. Just watching him play the way he does was super helpful. Obviously watching Sam for two years just schematically, this system, he was really good at it. I got a chance to learn from both of them guys.”

(On whom is the most excited for his opportunity outside of his family)
“That’s a good question, probably me. (laughs)”

(On if during the first two preseason games in the final quarters if he was wondering if he would have a roster spot)
“Again, it’s hard to predict. You try not to think about it and focus on it when you do get a chance to play. Kind of let the roster moves and the stuff that’s out of your control be out of your control. You can’t really do much about. So, I was happy to be out there and happy to play and that’s really the same now.”

(On what he sees as challenges from the Philadelphia defense)
“I think it’s our first challenge offensively verse a 3-4 defense. So, I think communication and just recognition of what they’re doing will be critical. They’re really good. Obviously everyone knows what they do offensively. So, just controlling the football, trying to keep the ball away from them will be key. As always just protect the football, no turnovers. Definitely a good defense. Excited about the challenge and looking forward to it.”

Rams QB Shaun Hill – Post Practice – October 1, 2014

(On Head Coach Jeff Fisher telling him QB Austin Davis will be the starter for the remainder of the season)
“Obviously it’s frustrating but I understand it. He’s got a decision to make and made the decision that he felt was best for the team. So, obviously the team comes first. I’m a professional. I’ll come to work every day and continue to try and help this team any way I can.”

(On how frustrated he is in losing the opportunity to be the starter)
“Yeah, like I said, it’s frustrating. I mean, when you take a step back and think about it, it’s not about me; it’s about the team. Yeah it’s frustrating but at the same time you’ve got to keep going. It’s a tough league for tough-minded people. I put myself in that category.”

“Well to be honest with you, last week I could kind of see the writing on the wall. I wouldn’t let myself go there though. As soon as my mind kind of went to that, I caught myself, ‘You can’t let your mind go there over the bye week.’ So, looking back on it, it kind of seemed like it was heading in that direction.”

(On how he is feeling from a health standpoint)
“Feeling good.”
I like what I hear! GO RAMS!!
can-of-whoop-ass.jpg
upload_2014-7-21_16-20-25.jpeg