TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher - Press Conference - 9.21.15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher - Press Conference - 9.21.15

(Opening statement)
“We came through the game somewhat healthy, which is good. I don’t think we’ll have anybody even missing practice time from the game. (CB) Janoris (Jenkins) is good. (QB) Nick (Foles) got kicked in the shin right there at the last part of the game and he was a little sore, little tender in the locker room last night, but he appears to be okay today. We’re healing up a little bit. As far as (RB) Todd (Gurley) is concerned, I thought the workout was outstanding yesterday, so we’re going to continue to build his reps this week. He’ll be week-to-week and might be a game time decision. That’s how that’ll go.

“As far as the game goes, we have a lot of room for improvement and we must improve. There was some really good things on the tape. I think special teams gave us a winning effort, although we didn’t have any really big plays. It was just field position and tackling and things like that, but they were very efficient. Third down is a problem. We need to improve that on both sides of the ball. The run game offensively needs to get better. We had three three-and-outs and four four-and-outs in the game and that doesn’t give your defense a chance to even rest, let alone give your offense a chance to make plays. Defensively, just too many explosive plays. We’ve got to fix our defense against the run. It’s a combination of things. It was a combination of gap integrity by the players. It was a combination of the staff putting them in some bad positions. Overall, we’re all going to take responsibility for that -the defensive staff, the defensive players - and we’ve got to get that fixed; 153 yards-per-game rushing right now is not what we’re about. Defensively, the completion percentage is way too high. Not to look ahead, but we’ve got (Pittsburgh QB Ben) Roethlisberger and (Arizona QB) Carson Palmer and (Green Bay QB) Aaron Rodgers ahead of us and we’re allowing way too many completions against our defense. We know where we’ve got to work and we’ll get that done.

“I don’t want to discount some of the good things that took place in the game. There were some really good efforts. I think (LB) Alec (Ogletree) had 18 tackles. He was just all over the field. He’s playing really good ball right now. Penalties – nine - probably seven that I’m okay with, two that weren’t issues that were probably non-calls. That’s too many, but the penalties weren’t, with exception of the defensive offsides, (DL) Ethan’s (Westbrooks) defensive offsides and third-and-14 that created the third-and-9. For the most part, we were able to overcome some things.”

(On if the run defense was just a matter of shedding blocks)
“It’s getting off blocks. They did a really nice job. They took advantage of some angles and combination of a man scheme and a zone scheme cutting the back side off and we had people on the back side of blocks. It didn’t have to do with much as far as tackling was concerned, it was more just… we had a couple of times where they blocked for the running backs in the secondary. We can’t let that happen.”

(On if the run defense bothers him since that’s what his teams are known for)
“That’s what we’re about. On defense, you stop the run and you get off the field on third down. We’re not doing either one of them right now. And on offense you need to run it. We had some runs. We had some good runs. When you have tackles for losses or you have those runs for a yard, two yards, that something goes wrong and we had a number of instances where had the back pressed the hole, then we might have picked up some additional yards or had we read it right and cut back… everybody was taking their turn on the runs that were not effective for us. In addition to that, we didn’t get the opportunities either. We didn’t have 37 rush attempts yesterday for 60 yards. That’s by-in-large the result of us not being able to convert third downs.”

(On if the team’s third down success is related to production on first and second downs)
“The third and longs are always difficult to convert, the percentages say. We’re just not making our plays. We had two first downs in the first two drives and then we had three-and-outs. You’ve got to get chunks on the early downs and stay out of third down or when you get in it, you need to convert.”

(On if the struggles in the run game make it more tempting to bring back RB Todd Gurley faster)
“No. Todd’s going to play when he’s ready to play. It’s a non-factor. I’ve been saying this since he got here, when he’s ready, he’s going to play regardless of what’s happening around him. But, he’s getting closer.”

(On if there is something he has to see from Gurley of if it’s more what the doctors say)
“The doctors are fine. Everybody’s fine. It’s just he needs the experience, he needs the reps so he can carry the confidence into the game.”

(On if he was prepared for Washington Redskins RB Matt Jones going into the game)
“Well saw Matt in the week before, and he’s a big strong back with great vision and acceleration. So there was some concern. We were concerned about their…not just (RB) Alfred (Morris) but Matt and just their run scheme. They’re going to be really good up front running the ball.”

(On if RB Tre Mason came out of the game okay)
“He was fine, yeah.”

(On if Mason was at full acceleration or a little reserved because of his hamstring injury)
“It takes…he was 90 percent or something like that, so he was good enough to play and played. He doesn’t have the acceleration that he did before he got hurt. But that doesn’t mean to say it’s not going to be there this week.”

(On if he’s upset about the facemask penalty on TE Jared Cook)
“No, I was okay with it. It wasn’t intentional. It’s just part of the game, facemasks happen sometimes. An attempt to block…it was an attempt to push him by. We had a defensive offside where the offensive lineman moved. We were stuck, we reacted. Then we had that strange series of penalties on the punts where we had to punt a couple of times. We were called for unsportsmanlike conduct, running out of bounds. Our gunner, (RB) Isaiah (Pead)…they said Isaiah ran out of bounds without being touched. That’s a foul. It’s a 15-yard penalty, but they had a block in the back so they offset. So we re-kicked again. But it appears on tape that he had made contact with the defender before he went out of bounds. That’s one of those things…unfortunately the guy covering that, covering your gunner and your two hold-up guys, is 40 yards down the field. He’s way down the field, so it’s a hard call to make. But he explained to me that’s what he thought he saw. It didn’t have an impact on us because we re-kicked.”

(On why he started CB Marcus Roberson instead of CB Trumaine Johnson)
“Trumaine violated team rules, so I started Marcus.”

(On if he will elaborate on what team rules Johnson violated)
“Not going to go into it. No, it’s between me and Trumaine.”

(On WR Tavon Austin’s punt return coverage)
“We were surprised that they attempted to punt to him. They didn’t punt the high end-over-end kick, which they should have done last year with the success that he had. But we were getting some pressure and the ball was just…the punter was just not hitting the ball well. It worked out effective for them, but no I was not…I was okay with that because we got good bounces. We got really good bounces on the balls that he did field. They bounced sideways as opposed to down the field, but from a fair catch standpoint, he had the idea if you could go up and fair catch that ball. But we were anticipating much deeper kicks and I get him lined up, so I was kind of bringing him up a little bit closer and closer.”

(On if kickers are that skilled to where they can place the ball in certain spots on the field on purpose)
“If he’s doing that on purpose, he’s really, really good. Okay? I don’t know. We got pressure. We almost got our hand on a couple of them. It was an unusual ball that was coming off his foot.”

(On how he feels about a punt returner fielding the ball on a bounce or does he leave it up to the returner)
“That’s all his decision, yeah. I’m not going to second guess a returner’s decision making. We put enough time and effort into helping him make those decisions, then you have to support his decisions. Now on the one that hit that was illegally touched and then (WR) Tavon (Austin) went for it and actually tried to get it before it went in the end zone, you can’t lose from that. Once the ball’s touched by the covering team, it’s called ‘illegal touch.’ If the ball’s alive, the return team can scoop the ball and the worst thing that can happen is that if you turn the football over, fumble it, it comes back to the spot of illegal touch. And Tavon’s aware of that, so it wasn’t, ‘oh, get away!’ Well it had already been touched, so he was going to go down and try to make a play.”

(On if he’s aggravated with the lack of consistency his team is showing week-to-week)
“Well it’s just two weeks. We made an effort to come back and we closed it; we closed it to 17-10. We just, we couldn’t finish it. To me, it goes back to what I said at the beginning is there’s a lot of room for improvement and we must improve. We improve, then you’ll see more consistency out of us.”

(On G Rodger Saffold’s performance)
“I thought, we gave up one sack and (QB) Nick (Foles) dropped the ball. I thought from a pass protection standpoint we were okay. We can still do better. I think the group as a whole needs to improve in the run-game. But I thought Rodger was fine. He’s healthy and fine.”

RamzFanz

Damnit
This is 100% BS from Fisher as always. They didn't punt well?! Came off his foot weird?! Dude, they intentionally gave up field position over letting TA have the ball against a horrible ST. They won. That's coaching. It was a game changer. TA is small and isn't going to run forward into coverage and grab a punt and get decked. What was your answer?! Where was Cunningham short to make them pay?

You're calling out Williams? Damn right! When they are running 3 TEs and chop blocking everyone for massive running gains, you have to react! Where was the adjustment? Where did the Rams say we will hose you if you run a 3 TE set?!

This was not a loss that means anything for the season except for coaching IMHO. Washington came into this game wanting to beat us like we wanted to beat Seattle from a coaching point of view and they had a plan. What was the Rams plan?

Gurley will be a game time decision? That's a lie. He's playing or Rams are losing.

I think special teams gave us a winning effort, although we didn’t have any really big plays.

We didn't? We stuffed the Skins every punt and kick off, they were so scared of TA they short punted him every time. The Rams owned field position and you're not giving them credit?! They were the only team that owned the Skins.

with exception of the defensive offsides, (DL) Ethan’s (Westbrooks) defensive offsides and third-and-14 that created the third-and-9. For the most part, we were able to overcome some things.”

You think 3rd and 9 was why we failed? 3rd and 9? I don't know about Fisher, but please god give us 3rd and 9 all season.

we had a couple of times where they blocked for the running backs in the secondary. We can’t let that happen.”

You are talking about 55. No, he got blocked on every single running play until it was over. 55 is not contributing in the run defense at all. None. Zero. Nada. Nothing. If he was in preseason fighting for a job, he would be cut before the preseason was even over. And I love the guy. Yes, he brings his mind, not that it helped, but he was just terrible.

We had some runs.

Yes, you did. His name was Austin and he had 10 YPC. And you ran him 4 times.

“No. Todd’s going to play when he’s ready to play. It’s a non-factor. I’ve been saying this since he got here, when he’s ready, he’s going to play regardless of what’s happening around him. But, he’s getting closer.”

No, he's ready. He says he's ready. His doctor says he ready. There is ZERO evidence he's not ready and you held him out. Was it worth the loss? Yes, it was worth the loss to be careful. Are you lying? Yes, you're lying.

- I don't care that Fisher lies for advantage, god bless him, lie his ass off, but it's the excuses that kill me. Fisher got his ass out coached on Sunday and had no answer. I've cheered him as he did that to other teams, but this time, he got owned. -

I thought from a pass protection standpoint we were okay. We can still do better.

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is 100% BS from Fisher as always. They didn't punt well?! Came off his foot weird?! Dude, they intentionally gave up field position over letting TA have the ball against a horrible ST. They won. That's coaching. It was a game changer. TA is small and isn't going to run forward into coverage and grab a punt and get decked. What was your answer?! Where was Cunningham short to make them pay?

You're calling out Williams? Damn right! When they are running 3 TEs and chop blocking everyone for massive running gains, you have to react! Where was the adjustment? Where did the Rams say we will hose you if you run a 3 TE set?!

This was not a loss that means anything for the season except for coaching IMHO. Washington came into this game wanting to beat us like we wanted to beat Seattle from a coaching point of view and they had a plan. What was the Rams plan?

Gurley will be a game time decision? That's a lie. He's playing or Rams are losing.

We didn't? We stuffed the Skins every punt and kick off, they were so scared of TA they short punted him every time. The Rams owned field position and you're not giving them credit?! They were the only team that owned the Skins.

You think 3rd and 9 was why we failed? 3rd and 9? I don't know about Fisher, but please god give us 3rd and 9 all season.

You are talking about 55. No, he got blocked on every single running play until it was over. 55 is not contributing in the run defense at all. None. Zero. Nada. Nothing. If he was in preseason fighting for a job, he would be cut before the preseason was even over. And I love the guy. Yes, he brings his mind, not that it helped, but he was just terrible.

No, he's ready. He says he's ready. His doctor says he ready. There is ZERO evidence he's not ready and you held him out. Was it worth the loss? Yes, it was worth the loss to be careful. Are you lying? Yes, you're lying.

- I don't care that Fisher lies for advantage, god bless him, lie his ass off, but it's the excuses that kill me. Fisher got his ass out coached on Sunday and had no answer. I've cheered him as he did that to other teams, but this time, he got owned. -

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
Lol... But honestly I thought pass protection was better. A lot of times Foles had enough time to make a throw or step up it from the opening drive he was scared perfect example when he tried to scramble but fumbled the ball.. We can sit around and second guess the coaches and try to read between the lines of what they are saying. As fans that's our job lol but to come on let's be honest with ourselves we knew this wasn't going to be a overnight fix not with this young oline and a new quarterback who frankly still have a lot to prove. This is a very important year not just with win loss record but with everything that's going on. I don't begrudge none of you who are upset and hurt about the way we lost the game. I am as well. At the end of the day though I'm just a fan and my job is to hope for better Sundays ahead and that's what I will continue to do.. all the second guessing and posturing I will leave to more qualified people than i. So just sit back and try to enjoy this ride because something special is going to happen.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Don't forget his weekly "we need to improve but we're going to improve" speech. Has that become the new spags clap?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You're confusing "ready" with "healthy". He may be healthy, but he's still not ready. Just because he was drafted high, and was a good college player, doesn't mean he's ready to execute the playbook on a consistent basis. His job is more than running into the offensive line and gaining yardage. It's recognizing defenses, understanding audibles, picking up the right player in pass protection, and having the same pre-snap read as the QB in passing situations. Remember back to Marshall Faulk, and remember seeing him scan the defense back and forth and back and forth. That's wasn't because he had lazy-eye syndrome. He was processing information. Gurley isn't at that level yet, because he hasn't practiced nearly enough with the team. Lying? No, he wasn't lying at all.
Careful. You're dangerously close to giving Schotty a pass.
He said HIS special teams played well, but THEY didn't have enough big plays. A big play isn't categorized as giving the other team credit or being the recipient of good field position due to their strategy.
He said before the game that their chop-blocking was something that was going to have to be taken into account. And the best way to do that is to have a better offensive performance that changes the way that THEY (WSH) play the game. They can't run constantly if they're in a 2 TD hole. I personally think chop blocking is a pussy way to play football, but that's irrelevant. They definitely could have done a better job of getting hands on the O-linemen on the initial get-off. But, they countered the Rams' strengths with one of the only things that can combat being out-muscled. Laying down and rolling into them.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm not gonna waste my time any more analyzing what Fish says tbh. I want to see a win vs Pittsburgh. They either improve immediately and actually for the first time in his tenure actually string wins together, or I'll be on the "Fire Fisher" bandwagon. I'm done being a fool, at least for this regime.

Agree that Gurley is obviously gonna play. This team needs him badly, because we have Pittsburgh and Arizona up next.

Oh and Johnson violating team rules... Thanks Tru. How many other guys were out late with him gettin sauced? I'd guess some other guys on the defense who didn't play well. Gotta assume it's something like that, since Fish won't come out with details.

Lastly stopping the run is not what they're about. Not until they demonstrate they can do it for a season. IMO. So STFU and get it done Fish.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Think he's in the wrong position....I'd try him at SLB....He can still be effective....Esp. vs the run...It's the passing downs I'd consider pulling him off the field...Move Tree to MLB...lets see what happens. Can't be worse....It really can't.

. I personally think chop blocking is a wuss way to play football, but that's irrelevant.
Me too....one of the dirtiest plays....and I hate that late push the pile block by linemen too...

RamzFanz

Damnit
He may be healthy, but he's still not ready. Just because he was drafted high, and was a good college player, doesn't mean he's ready to execute the playbook on a consistent basis.

That's a good point and one I hadn't considered. However, let's remember that he regretted keeping Donald out so long.

Let the kid play. He can help with the blocking by keeping the pass rush honest. Someone can tell him what to do.

Careful. You're dangerously close to giving Schotty a pass.

Schotty would have run him twice for 40 yards and quit. :)

So, no plan B for the chop blocking and three TE sets? That's too bad. I have one, "accidentally" kick them in the head as they go down for your knees and career. Oh man, sorry, you made me stumble and I stomped your balls, my bad.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Did I stumble into the vent thread by mistake? :cool:

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
I think the term were looking for is "cut blocking" chop blocking is when a player is engaged with a blocker and then cut by another blocker.It is very dirty and illegal where cut blocking is not,but still i get your point.i I personally think both should be illegal.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I think the term were looking for is "cut blocking" chop blocking is when a player is engaged with a blocker and then cut by another blocker.It is very dirty and illegal where cut blocking is not,but still i get your point.i I personally think both should be illegal.

In gridiron football, a chop block is an attempt by an offensive player to cut block (block at the thigh level or lower) a defensive player who is being blocked above the waist by another offensive player. In the National Football League (NFL), a chop block is legal on running plays when (i) the blockers were aligned next to each other on the line of scrimmage, (ii) the blockers were lined up anywhere on the line and the flow of the play is towards the block or (iii) the cut blocker was aligned in the backfield and the chop block took place outside the original tight end position.[1] The cut blocker is said to "chop" the defender and usually engages simultaneously with or immediately after the high block. A "reverse chop" occurs when the high block comes immediately after the low block and the same rules apply.

In the NFL, college and high school football, the penalty for an illegal chop block is 15 yards.[2] They were first banned in the NCAA in 1980.[3] Chop blocks are illegal in the NFL on passing and kicking plays, as well on any play with attempted pass blocking or kick protection but which are actually running plays. It is also an illegal chop block if a player "lures" a defender by "pass-blocking posture" while another player chops him. The continued legality of chop blocking, as of all low blocks, is controversial. Partisans of the offensive line see it as a traditional run blocking technique, while those of the defensive line see it as unnecessarily dangerous.

Like you said, I get your point.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
In gridiron football, a chop block is an attempt by an offensive player to cut block (block at the thigh level or lower) a defensive player who is being blocked above the waist by another offensive player. In the National Football League (NFL), a chop block is legal on running plays when (i) the blockers were aligned next to each other on the line of scrimmage, (ii) the blockers were lined up anywhere on the line and the flow of the play is towards the block or (iii) the cut blocker was aligned in the backfield and the chop block took place outside the original tight end position.[1] The cut blocker is said to "chop" the defender and usually engages simultaneously with or immediately after the high block. A "reverse chop" occurs when the high block comes immediately after the low block and the same rules apply.

In the NFL, college and high school football, the penalty for an illegal chop block is 15 yards.[2] They were first banned in the NCAA in 1980.[3] Chop blocks are illegal in the NFL on passing and kicking plays, as well on any play with attempted pass blocking or kick protection but which are actually running plays. It is also an illegal chop block if a player "lures" a defender by "pass-blocking posture" while another player chops him. The continued legality of chop blocking, as of all low blocks, is controversial. Partisans of the offensive line see it as a traditional run blocking technique, while those of the defensive line see it as unnecessarily dangerous.

Like you said, I get your point.

really dude!there i was thinking i had said something smart to say and you had to frickin screw it up with your fancy intranet fact finding mission.thanks now i'm who i thought i was again

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
really dude!there i was thinking i had said something smart to say and you had to frickin screw it up with your fancy intranet fact finding mission.thanks now i'm who i thought i was again
I'm sorry, dude. You had it mostly right. Just semantics anywho.