TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher - Post Practice - 9.29.15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – Post Practice – 9/29/15

(Opening Statement)
“One of the good things about our schedule is that we were able to put…we’re 24 hours ahead of schedule right now. We’re able to put the last game behind us and get in the plan and we had a great exercise tonight. So we had good meetings and guys are excited about the game plan and we had most everybody out here today. (LB) James (Laurinaitis), we rested James. We’re just excited about playing the Cardinals right now.”

(On resting WR Kenny Britt today)
“Yeah, we shut Kenny down, too. He’s got a little shoulder…he banged his shoulder a little bit in the game.”

(On if Britt’s shoulder injury came from the last catch he made during Sunday’s game)
“No, it was prior to that.”

(On waiving RB Isaiah Pead)
“Difficult decision. Isaiah did a phenomenal job coming back off the injury. But with (RB) Todd (Gurley) now coming up and the potential for some other moves during the week, we just felt it was the best decision for us. So just really appreciate him and hope that he’s going to be available. We can turn to him if we need him, but we need to make some roster moves as we move forward during the week.”

(On why he thinks Arizona is playing so well)
“Well they got three big wins. When you beat teams like San Francisco and Chicago and New Orleans the way they beat them, I mean they’re…that’s a respectable team. I mean, their defense is playing really well. (Cardinals QB) Carson (Palmer) is moving around. I wouldn’t have thought that you would get a quarterback at his age that’s showing the ability to move and escape the pocket and extend plays the way he does. He’s doing a really, really good job. (Cardinals RB Chris Johnson) CJ’s come in and he had 100-yards plus last week, and so they’re really well coached. They’re an elite team in the NFC right now. So we’re just going to go out and give it a shot.”

(On how big of a difference it is for the Cardinals to have QB Carson Palmer in the game)
“Well, it’s big for them. He and Fitz (Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald) have a great relationship. He’s got other good players around him. He’s making great throws and they’re making a lot of plays. Their defense is very, very aggressive. They challenge people. They’re really good against the run. They’re a 3-0 team that’s going to win a lot of games.”

(On what has made Fitzgerald so consistent over the years)
“He has just a rare understanding of the game. He’s got great body control and hand-eye coordination and speed and he just gets open. You’re hearing a lot about these receiver-quarterback tandems with (Falcons WR) Julio (Jones) down in Atlanta and some of the other guys, but this one is special. They’re special together. Carson and Fitz, they’ve got it going, so we’re going to have to play really well.”

(On what he’s hoping to get out of CB Brandon McGee)
“Just the things that he did for us on special teams prior to the injury. He’s up and we’re ready to go. He can do the gunner thing. He can be available for us on defense and then do some things in two of the three phases on special teams.”

(On why McGee’s injury kept lingering)
“He re-aggravated it during the OTAs and then when he came back to camp he wasn’t ready to go. It wasn’t quite right. So, we had to rest and immobilize it. He’s got it behind him now. The last couple of weeks on the practice squad he’s been able to push through it, so we felt like he was ready to go.”

(On adding WR Nick Toon to the practice squad)
“We interviewed Nick at the combine and watched Nick play. He had a great career up there and was surprised that he was out there. We worked out a group of receivers last week and just felt Nick was ideal for us to get him on the practice squad and get him in position to learn our offense. He did a great job today with the scout team. Smart player. Obviously, great heritage.”

(On the defense moving into the top 10 this week and what that means to him)
“It means nothing. We’re 1-2. I would trade a record for having the first ranked defense. We moved into the top 10, but we have not made enough plays defensively to win games. We’re getting better, but we need to learn to win games on defense.”

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
(On the defense moving into the top 10 this week and what that means to him)
“It means nothing. We’re 1-2. I would trade a record for having the first ranked defense. We moved into the top 10, but we have not made enough plays offensively to win games. We’re not getting better, but we need to learn to win games on offense.”

Fixed that last quote of his for him.....

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No questions about Quick?
DHhloeN.jpg

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I dunno. After years of losing and the last two games, I don't have it in me to get excited about our chances. Until I see tangible progress, I'm going to assume its all coach speak and we're gonna struggle again. And that tangible progress needs to be wins. Moral victories are what losers use as a crutch. Makes them feel good about losing. I ain't into moral victories cuz losing sucks. Especially when its so early in the season and you know you'll be looking at college players for the draft by early November.

SanAnRam

Just an educated redneck
"So we’re just going to go out and give it a shot.”

sigh

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Something I have noticed and I am curious about what you guys think . . .

I've noticed a tremendous amount of subbing on the defensive line. While I realize that saving players snap count can be beneficial I feel like in ways it is detrimental to our team. Sure we are deep on the Dline but I've also noticed that we are subbing way too much.

Our Dline is filled with guys that get more effective with their touches. They are all go, go, go type of guys; yet here we are subbing in Hayes, Westbrooks, and Fairley. I love having the depth that those guys bring but it leaves us so vulnerable to the fast pace offenses.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Mr. X, You appeared to be glued into Rams inside information (may be I am totally wrong). What is your best guesstimate of what is happening with Quick?
You are totally wrong. I know nothing about what's going on. Zero.
My best guess is that his situation with the injury and recovery is worse than we know. He might be a completely tentative player now and the coaches see it.

Debacled

Starter
Last night during his radio show he did kind of hint towards Quick being behind due to missing camp time. He didn't come out and say it but he made it sound like he suffered a couple setbacks during camp as well.

He did also say that he is healthy and ready to go when/if they activate him. Still a lot of murky water surrounding the whole deal

ram007

Starter
Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – Post Practice – 9/29/15

(On why he thinks Arizona is playing so well)

“Well they got three big wins. When you beat teams like San Francisco and Chicago and New Orleans the way they beat them, I mean they’re…that’s a respectable team. I mean, their defense is playing really well. (Cardinals QB) Carson (Palmer) is moving around. I wouldn’t have thought that you would get a quarterback at his age that’s showing the ability to move and escape the pocket and extend plays the way he does. He’s doing a really, really good job. (Cardinals RB Chris Johnson) CJ’s come in and he had 100-yards plus last week, and so they’re really well coached. They’re an elite team in the NFC right now. So we’re just going to go out and give it a shot.”

This is how i para phrased Fisher's Comments:

We know what we are going to do on Sunday to beat the cardinals. I have confidence in the game plan that it will be a 30-3 Rams win. You will see sunday.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh and btw... Palmer won't be escaping the pocket Sunday. If nothing else he's gonna get a steady diet of Donald bursting the F out of that pile to eat his fruit cup. Only hope for Palmer is that running game of theirs.

PhxRam

He might be a completely tentative player now

Never going to get over it in practice.

I think we were all a little tentative riding a bike after our first big spill. The solution is not putting training wheels back on. It is to get back on the damn bike and try again.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Don't care about quick I want to see them game plan for using our AWESOME defense to pound that old QB into submission and getting the players they have active in the end zone.

Quick is a distraction, he hasn't been on the field and may not play all year, who knows.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Never going to get over it in practice.

I think we were all a little tentative riding a bike after our first big spill. The solution is not putting training wheels back on. It is to get back on the damn bike and try again.
Agreed. But again, that's just a theory. Clearly I have no idea what's going on with Quick.
It may be as simple as what Fisher is saying, but that's not a well received theory around here either.