TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher and QB Shaun Hill (8-25-14) Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher –

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher and QB Shaun Hill (8-25-14)

Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – Post Practice – August 25, 2014

(On if the heat brought the team indoors)
“We got back late, so yesterday was kind of a recovery day. Just wanted to give them a chance to recover. We’ll go back out tomorrow and of course we’re expecting some warm weather down in Miami, but this made sense for the guys. ”

(On if he spoke to QB Shaun Hill about his new role)
“That’s coming. Obviously, we had a little visit and he’s excited. Like I’ve said since yesterday, he’s disappointed for (QB) Sam (Bradford). That’s where his heart’s at right now because he knows how hard he worked, but in this business you move on, so he’s ready to go. He’s excited about his opportunity.”

(On how Hill practiced today)
“He was fine. He actually completed some passes today. He was fine and he actually knows where to go with the football believe it or not. He’s fine, he’s a competitor and knows what he’s doing. He’s going to make every opportunity count.”

(On if he is going to make offensive adjustments)
“No change whatsoever. Nothing, no changes. He fits right in, no changes whatsoever. We’ll be able to game plan on a weekly basis as if Sam were still here.”

(On the mood of the team after finding out about Bradford’s injury)
“Yesterday was difficult. They all care for Sam but they understand we have work to do. We have things we have to get done this week, on a short week and so they were working really good today.”

(On his response to trade speculations)
“You know what I like is, ‘According to sources close to the situation, we’re da da da da da….’ I love that okay. So no, we have not had any conversations with anybody. It’s the old source deal, you can just throw that out there. There’s a lot of players out there that are under contract and so you can’t discuss those things. But we’ve not had any discussions with anybody. Again, we’re going to be patient with this. There’s probably a couple quarterbacks let go at 75. There will probably be some let go at the 53 and like I said, there may be somebody, a club, we may have a trade partner out there. We don’t know. but we’re not initiating anything right now.”

(On Hill’s personality)
“He’s got a great since of humor. He’s outstanding in the huddle as you would expect a veteran to be so. It’s not just a play call, it’s the reminders in the huddle for breaks and reminders on the way to the line of scrimmage for the guys. And that’s important when you have a young team. But off the field, in meeting rooms, he’s just a normal guy. Very competitive though.”

(On if he and Hill have fished together)
“We’ve not fished together yet. No, we haven’t.”

(On the keys to keeping the team together after a quarterback change)
“Well, I think it’s important that once you make a change, for whatever reason, you stick with it and we’re sticking with this. There’s no doubt about that. That allows everybody to get comfortable and have confidence in who’s under center as opposed to, ‘Well, what are we going to do this week?’ So there’s no doubt that he’s our guy and we’re going to move forward. And again you have those discussions with the team and the defense will rally together and say, ‘Hey, we may have to win this week on defense,’ if we’re a playing very, very good opponent. But, the rest of the team just kind of picks itself up and goes on.”

(On when it comes the time to evaluate the quarterbacks)
“I don’t really like to deal with hypotheticals, but had Shaun not been here and we had an issue, we very well could have brought some guys in and see whose got a better feel for us under center and then go and name a starter, but we’ve already got a starter. He was clearly our two. He steps up and goes, and so anything that happens beyond that I can’t comment because we’ve really not done anything.”

(On if QB Austin Davis is up to the challenge of being the No. 2 quarterback)
“Yeah, you’re going to see him play. You’re going to get to see him play Thursday night. He played well in the game against a lot of their starters and so he made plays. He’s got a good feel, he’s got a good feel for what we’re doing. As I mentioned, (Offensive Coordinator Brian Schottenheimer’s) ‘Schotty’s’ very much at ease calling plays for him because he understands the offense.”

(On Davis’ improvement this offseason)
“Well it’s been hard on him and the others because of what they’re seeing from the defense in camp. That has helped him as you move into the games. (Defensive Coordinator) Gregg’s (Williams) going to throw everything at him and it’s very competitive and it’s difficult. But that makes it easier for him as you get into the regular season. The game slows down when you’re seeing so much happen at practice. It slows down and it’s slowing down for Austin.”

Rams QB Shaun Hill – Post Practice – August 25, 2014

(On if he’s ready to be the Rams’ starter)
“Yeah, definitely. Obviously I feel terrible for Sam (Bradford). Getting to know him here, I was really looking forward to seeing him play this year. He was going to light it up. But, the nature of the business, next guy up and that’s me. A lot of excitement getting cranked up and ready to go for this one.”

(On how he learned that Bradford’s injury was season ending and if he’s talked to Bradford)
“Yeah, I talked to Sam. Like I said, I feel bad for the guy. He’s going to come back better from it though, for sure. I guarantee it. How did I learn about it? The same time everybody else did on the team, in the team meeting yesterday.”

(On if the Rams’ offense is similar to any other system he’s previously played in)
“Yeah, it’s like learning a new language, just calling the plays and getting the picture of what that play is. From there, once you learn that new language, then you learn the nuances of it. It’s been a good process. We’ve put in a ton of work in the offseason, in OTAs and then I was able to come in and hit the ground running for training camp. That’s when we personally started working on the nuances of the offense and learning all the details of it. It’s been good. It’s been a good process.”

(On if his history with QB Coach Frank Cignetti has been beneficial in his acclimation to the offense)
“Yeah, especially early because we’ve been together before so we were able to speak the same language as he was teaching me some of the concepts. So, yeah that did help, especially early.”

(On fans comparing the current situation to that of the 1999 Rams with Kurt Warner replacing Trent Green)
“I didn’t realize they were making that comparison. This is a totally different situation. This is the 2014 Rams team. We’re going to go out and our attitude and our focus hasn’t changed.”

(On if he ever worked in a grocery store like Warner did)
“No, the closest was a fireworks stand or lot in the summer times. Fireworks stand, lawn mower, things like that.”

(On what he did at the fireworks stand)
“Well, we would start off the year, we would package and ship for Jake’s Fireworks in Pittsburg, Kansas. Then as soon as the store was able to open, we’d go and run the store for a few weeks.”

(On if Jake’s is still open)
“Yeah, Jake’s is a big company, now. You’ll have to look it up. They might do the Cardinals’ fireworks. Who knows?”

(On if he’s ever been a starter going into the opening week of the season)
“Yes.”

(On how the mindset of a starter is different than that of a backup)
“To be honest with you, I’ve always gone into every week, even as a backup, as if I was going to play. That’s the only way I knew how to prepare. That’s the only way I knew how to do it. So to be honest with you, my mindset is the same as it’s been every week. I think throughout the length of my career, having that mindset every week has helped me for this moment so it’s not anything new. I don’t have to do anything different.”

(On what season he was the opening day starter)
“It was 2009, San Francisco.”

(On what makes him confident that the Rams can be successful this season)
“We’ve got a very talented group and a great coaching staff. All the pieces are in place.”

(On his chemistry with the receivers)
“This preseason has been great. I’ve been able to work with all those guys so I’ve definitely been able to build a rapport with those guys and will continue to do so. I feel comfortable with all of them.”

(On how his long stretches as a backup have prepared him for this opportunity)
“It definitely did. Life of a backup, you might not go in for a few years but you have to stay ready. At the same time, it kind of feeds your fire. It makes you want to get back out there, and when the chance comes, you’re excited and you’re ready for it.”

(On the possibility of the Rams adding another quarterback to the roster)
“That’s always a possibility no matter what. That’s never been an issue, not something I’ll look into or read into. There’s nothing to even think about. All I can control is all I can control and go out and play my best.”

(On how it makes him feel that Head Coach Jeff Fisher emphatically says that Hill is ‘his guy’)
“It feels good to have his confidence and the team’s confidence. They’ve rallied around me and it’s been good.”

(On the response he’s received from the rest of the team)
“It’s been very supportive. Everybody’s heart goes out to Sam in this situation, but the team has definitely rallied and been very supportive.”

(On what it was like talking to Bradford on Sunday)
“Kind of what I told him was, ‘Look, God’s going to teach you something about himself and he’s going to teach you something about yourself in this situation.’ That’s what he does in every tough situation, and that’s what Sam’s facing. He will come out great on the other end. I promise you that. I’m still here to support him and he’s going to come back and he’s going to support me during the season. I know he will. He’s a standup guy. He’s going to be able to help me in game planning and things like that. We have a great relationship. I look forward to that.”

(On what he’d tell people he can bring to the offense)
“I’ve got some experience and been in this league for a long time. I think when we get into the game planning part of it, I think that’s where the experience and that edge will take over.”

RFIP

Hill is a stand up guy too. He understands the talent that Sam has and knows he'll be a better man for this down the road.

If this is to be Sam's last year for the Rams I hope to see him on the sideline helping Hill as he said.