TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher and QB Sam Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhxRam

TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher and QB Sam Bradford (8-12-14)

Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher - Training Camp – August 12, 2014

(On today’s weather)
“We’d like to increase the temperature if at all possible. I’m looking for a sweatshirt. Actually it was nice, it was good, it was a really good session. Yesterday was a little shaky off of the day off but they put things in perspective and they had a good day today.”

(On not having not having two bad days in a row and if they got yesterday’s message)
“Yeah, and they did it on their own too, which is good. We put the pads on and had some good physical periods, ones against ones, ones against twos and I think we got a lot done. Tomorrow will be a special teams practice, recover. We’ll pad up again on Thursday I think. We need to work on the run game a little bit.”

(On DT Ethan Westbrooks)
“He’s picking things up well. He’s playing end and tackle, he’s playing all four positions. He’s using his hands well. He never got tired in the preseason game. Played quite a few snaps. He’s got a chance to make some plays .”

(On today’s scuffle)
“They pull each other apart. That was a frustrated veteran and a frustrated rookie and they were probably both tired.”

(On DE Eugene Sims)
“Gosh, he’s gotten better and better each year. He’s one of those rare defensive ends that plays on special teams. He plays them well, he rushes, he’s very strong, physical. He’s got a huge upside. ”

(On WR Tavon Austin and how he wants to see him progress )
“Well we just have to give him the ball. Give him the ball in space cause we all know what he can do with it and so we’re doing some different things. Probably won’t show a whole lot in the preseason but I’m very pleased with where he’s at right now. He had a little rough day yesterday. He had drops yesterday but he pushed through it today. ”

(On lack of dropped passes in practice)
“No, we’ve been consistent. The last one there really (upset) me off with Tre (Mason). He couldn’t see in the sun, didn’t even know it was coming, so he’s got to work on that.”

(On if CB E.J. Gaines has met his expectations)
“Yeah, he played a lot last week and played slot and played outside. Making a lot of plays and really he did some things in the core special teams in the game that look like he’s got a chance to do that. I’m very impressed with some of the things he did, particularly because he was playing so many defensive snaps as a matter of fact, (Special Teams) Coach (John) Fassel was somewhat impressed with the plays he was making on teams considering the fact that he was playing so many snaps. So, he’s done a nice job so far.”

Rams QB Sam Bradford – Training Camp – August 12, 2014

(On how camp is going)
“It’s good, really good. I can’t complain about a night like tonight, come out here for a 5:30 practice and it’s about 80 degrees. So, if the rest of camp could be like this I think we’d be pretty lucky.”

(On how lucky the team is to have such great weather so far during camp)
“I know, it has. The past two years we’ve been really lucky. My first couple of years here I think it was about 105 every day. I’m not sure I thought I was going to make it a couple of those practices.”

(On how he feels about playing in a live-game this weekend)
“Really excited. It’s been a long time since I’ve been out there for real and I can’t wait to get back out there. Going through OTAs and going through training camp, I mean, that’s great and all but we’re here to play the game. So to get out there on Saturday and take live snaps I think I’m really looking forward to it. Hopefully the guys are looking forward to having me back out there too.”

(On the possibility of C Scott Wells and LT Jake Long playing on Saturday as well)
“Yeah, I hope so. Obviously I don’t know what (Head) Coach’s (Jeff Fisher) plan is for those guys, but having those guys back out here on the practice field makes a huge difference. I think they’re playing really well. If we can get them for the game that’d be even bigger. I really like that group that’s in front of me right now.

(On if playing in preseason games is useful for gaining timing with the receivers)
“Yes absolutely. You can simulate live periods in practice and you can try to make things as realistic as possible but I don’t think you can ever truly simulate game speed. I think the preseason games are still a touch slower than what they are in the regular season but they are still amped up from practice. And I think, especially with as young as we are on the perimeter, as many reps as we can get during game speed type atmosphere, I think it really helps us. So, yeah I think there’s a lot to be gained from the preseason.”

(On if the plan since returning to Rams Park was to miss the first preseason game)
“Yeah. I’ve kind of known all along or at least since I’ve been back, talking to Coach and talking (Head Athletic Trainer) Reggie (Scott) that the plan was going to be to not play in the first one and play in the second one. So, when that happened last week I wasn’t surprised at all.”

(On if they have had to hold him back at all)
“No, I’ve taken every rep. Haven’t had to sit out, haven’t had to miss anything. My knee feels great, it’s responded really well. I think we’ve been very fortunate Coach Fisher does a great job with our schedule, between the special teams practices and the days off, we’ve had some time to rest and recover. My knee feels really good right now. I’m really happy to see that I haven’t had to miss any time in camp.”

(On if knee has caused him any discomfort whatsoever)
“Obviously during training camp all your body gets sore at some point. So, it’s just kind of your normal aches and pains of training camp, but nothing out of the ordinary.”

(On what it’s like being in his third year with Offensive Coordinator Brian Schottenheimer’s system)
“Even better than the second year of the system. It just feels better. I feel like being in my third year with ‘Schottey’ it really allows me to take ownership of this offense. I know exactly what we’re trying to do. I know how I want the plays to be run, how I see things. I think Schottey trusts me more now with saying things and speaking up. So, I think it’s just really allowing me to expand my leadership role in the offense.”

(On how WR Brian Quick’s continuing to improve)
“It’s night and day with Quickie. He’s always been tremendously talented. I think we’re starting to see him really put everything together. I think he’s had a great, great training camp. Even going back to OTAs and looking at some of the plays he’s made, I think he’s really developed. He’s put the time in, he’s worked really hard. From my standpoint, I’m glad to see that it’s paying off for him.”

(On if WR Chris Givens can still be that ‘go to guy’ in the offense)
“Absolutely. Two years ago Give had a great year for us. He’s still that guy that can take the top of the defense and create explosive plays for us. I look for Give to have a bounce back year, if you will, this year. I think he’s going to be a big part of what we’re doing down the field in the vertical passing game and I would expect him to make a lot of big plays for us.”

(On the importance of being in a live game)
“I think it’s important just to be out there knowing that I can get hit, knowing that I’m probably going to take a few hits in the preseason. I think it’s probably bigger for everyone else to see that it’s going to be ok. I’m going to get hit its part of the game, it’s no big deal. I’ve come back from an injury before, but it will be nice to take that first hit and get up knowing that everything’s fine.”

(On what he has seen from WR Tavon Austin this training camp)
“A lot of really good things. I think Tavon this year, you can just see that he’s playing so much faster than he was last year. I think it’s similar to the situation I was in last year. Being in the second year of the offense I think he feels a lot more comfortable with what he’s being asked to do. I don’t think he’s thinking as much and I think you really see his speed come out in the way that he’s playing right now.”

(On if he knows how much he will play and what he wants to get out of the game on Saturday)
“I have no idea how much I’m going to play on Saturday. That’s totally up to coach. I just want to see an efficient operation out there. No pre-snap penalties, getting us in and out of the right plays, pushing the ball down the field, and probably taking a few hits and getting up knowing that I’ll be ok.”