TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher and QB Sam Bradford (7-25-14)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Posted 25 July 2014

Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher - Training Camp – July 25, 2014

(On how the team looked today)

“They looked good, thank you. Yeah, we did get a break (from the weather). For a while it looked like we had to go inside but the weather cooperated and for the first day outside for camp this weather worked well for us. I know it’s going to be significantly different for us tomorrow however, so it’s a good day. It’s good to get everybody back, we started the week with the rookies reporting on Monday. We got their conditioning tests done Tuesday, everybody did really really well. Then Wednesday vets was a voluntary report (day) and we got that test done yesterday. Today is our first day where we are permitted to have to practice and install day number one's pretty basic. It was a basic practice and each day will become a little bit more complicated and we’ll be adding more things.”

(On the player’s energy level today and if it’s typically higher on the first day of camp)
“Yeah it is. Yesterday was a long day, we had four or five different meetings and they were anxious to get out today. It was good. They understand, they learn how to practice against each other and you know you have concerns about the young guys, the rookie class and the tempo and enthusiasm but they’ve learned through the OTAs how to protect each other.”

(On how QB Sam Bradford looked on today)
“He was fine. He’s doing good, throwing the ball well. Had a great summer, even had some of the guys in over the break and threw to them, so he’s run a good program. We went and visited him and he’s ready to go.”

(On Bradford’s health and if they changed his regiment leading into camp)
“We’re just going to go and if we have to back down we’ll back down, but at this point he finished the conditioning test. I won’t mention the names of the people that crossed the line after him but he did well. He’s worked really hard.”

(On if he gets a sense of the fans' desire to win)
“Well it’s just been before I got here and the day I arrived and it’s going to continue to be that way. We’re fortunate to have a fan base that has high expectations and remember the good years and they should.”

(On offensive line changes until Jake Long gets back)
“Yeah we’re going to move everybody around. The two rookie sessions that we had, we had (OL) Greg (Robinson) out their getting some work. Greg actually worked out there today, we’re just going to move people around. (OL) Jake (Long) is doing well, we expect Jake barring any setbacks to be ready for the opener. That’ll give some of the younger players opportunities to line up out there and play during the preseason.”

(On how OL Greg Robinson looked today)
“Greg was fine. He came in in really good shape and I think he’s a little unique in that he’s playing two positions right now in a foreign offense, but he’s doing well.’

(On what he wants to see out of Bradford this season in terms of play and leadership)
“The things that we’ve got from him half way through the season last year, the production, the execution, the leadership and then the things he’s displayed throughout this off season and throughout the rehab process. Then, of course, we’re talking about production and he’s certainly capable of doing that.”

(On if he talks to the team about not hazing rookies)
“Yeah, we have a philosophy about that, the rookies are here to help us win and if you treat a rookie like a rookie he’s going to inevitably do something stupid and act like a rookie. They are part of the team and they are treated with respect and no we don’t sing and you may see one carrying a helmet in, but that’s about the extent of it. The league’s done a nice job with it and we’re going to have a presentation in a week or so on work place conduct and things like that but we’re about respecting everybody in the building and everybody outside the building for that matter.”

(On if the work place conduct presentation will involve representatives from the league)
“Well, yes and no, it’s a confidential meeting, so I’m not going to really go into it, but we’re going to have a guest speaker or two.”

(On if this is the youngest team he’s ever had)
“You know we assign parking spots out there based on seniority and we’ve got third year guys down there at about the fourth or fifth spot, so it is a young group. But, because of the fact that we have players now in their third year and guys last year in their second, they’re familiar faces, they’ve matured, they have the playing experience. So despite the age on paper the team doesn’t act that way, the team acts much more mature and will be much more prepared.”

(On Bradford paying to bring teammates down to Oklahoma to train with him each offseason)
“It’s important for him. It implies that he understands the importance of working during that time off and so why not involve your teammates especially at his position where the timing is so important.”

Rams QB Sam Bradford – Training Camp – July 25, 2014

(On his fifth year in the NFL)
“Yeah…it’s interesting. We’ve got a parking order now, I’m getting closer to the front every year. So it’s a little different. Feeling a little older in there every year but just glad to be back at it. Day 1 is always fun and it was fun to get back out there today.”

(On his spot in the parking lot )
“Not quite top 10…well I don’t know. The numbering system is kind of off. It goes by twos for a while
(and) then it goes by ones. So I would have to go in there and look but it’s getting pretty close to the top 10 I think.”

(On bringing teammates to Norman, Oklahoma)
“I didn’t have a camp this year and I didn’t have another arm. So I kept it a little smaller this year. It was some younger guys, guys that I felt like I needed to work with. They came to Norman for a few days and we had a great session, spent some time together off the field just hanging out and then got some good work in. So it’s always fun when those guys come out. I think they had a great time too.”

(On if he still picks up the bill for teammates)
“Yeah of course. I mean, for them to take the time out of their summer, we only get a couple, four or four in a half weeks (off). For them to take a couple of days to come down there, it means a lot to me and I’m happy to pick up the tab.”

(On how much the time in Norman helps him and his teammates)
“I think any time you spend together helps. Especially with a break like that going from OTAs to training camp. Talking plays and talking ball, making sure that it’s fresh in everyone’s minds, making sure it is fresh in my mind. I think all the time you spend on the field is really invaluable with those guys.”

(On if they stayed in the Sooner Inn in Norman)
“Of course. It’s the best spot in Norman.”

(On if the Sam Bradford Room is still there at the Sooner Inn)
“I think so. I don’t know if anyone stayed there this year. I didn’t ask this year. I don’t know.”

(On who met up with him in Norman)
“We had Tavon (Austin) was there, Stedman (Bailey), (Brian) Quick, (Cory) Harkey and Lance (Kendricks). We had five guys and got after it for a few days and it was fun.”

(On practice today)
“It was good. I thought we did some really good things today. We pushed the ball down the field and made some big plays. Obviously the first day you’re always going to have things to clean up. We’ll get in there and look at the tape. We’ve got to clean up some of the some details. I felt like there were too many offsides today. We weren’t crisp off the line so we need some of that cleaned up.”

(On if he has any restrictions physically)
“I feel great. My knee feels really good. It feels better than when we finished OTAs. I finished those last two OTAs pretty strong. It feels even better now. In talking to (Head) Coach (Jeff Fisher) and (Head Athletic Trainer) Reggie (Scott), they feel good about having no limits. If it starts to get a little sore and we feel like we need to pull back we can always do that. Out of the gate I’m going to try and do everything.”

(On if he was officially cleared medically)
“I don’t know if there was one specific time. I think it’s just kind of been a process. You push it and see how it responds. It’s responded really well to this point. There hasn’t been a point where we’ve had to pull back.”

(On the fans desire to see the Rams win)
“Sure. I think we all see it, too. I’m going on year five. There are some guys in there that have been here longer than I have. Even our young guys, I think everyone here wants to win. That’s our goal. That’s why we’re out here to play. No one steps on the field to lose. I think we want just as bad as the city and the fans do.”

(On how he feels about the age of the roster and how he fits)
“It’s kind of what I was saying earlier, you look at our roster and I am one of the older guys. I don’t feel that old myself. We’re a young football team. We’ve been young the past few years but a lot of our young players have had quite a bit of experience. It’s fun with those young guys, too. They keep it light, they’re always energetic, and there’s always something going on with a lot of those guys.”

(On working against the defensive starters)
“I think our defense is going to be extremely good this year. They were really good for us last year. I think they’re even more talented this year than they were last year. I think going against that group every day is going to make us as an offense better. There’s nothing easy against those guys, especially up front. That front seven is really, really tough. I think it’s a great challenge for us to come out and go against them every day and just try to push ourselves to get better and go out and beat them.”

(On the level of talent on the roster)
“I would say if you looked at our roster today it’s probably got as much or more talent than we’ve ever had in the past. I think it’s just a matter of us just putting it all together and going out and executing on game days and playing the way we know we’re capable off.”

(On participating against a full defense)
“Yeah out there in the team sessions at OTAs and the team sessions today, I really didn’t think about it at all. It might be a little different the first time when we step on the field for a preseason game or a regular season game when bullets are live. At this point I haven’t noticed anything.”

(On the performance of OL Greg Robinson today)
“I thought Greg did a great job. As a young guy it’s tough. Today he played both tackle and guard and when you’re trying to learn a system, you’d really prefer to have to learn one but we’re asking him to learn two because we think he can handle it. I thought he did a great job playing both inside and outside today. I think he is really going to help us up front.”

(On what he hopes to get out of training camp and the preseason)
“Just getting back into the rhythm that I was getting into at the end of last year before I got hurt. There’s no doubt that there is still a little rust that needs to come off. I just haven’t been out there…I haven’t played a lot of football since the injury. Just tightening up all the small details with our guys. Making sure we use this time to get on the same page as far as conversions, routes, everything. Just pushing the unit to get better as a whole every day.”

(On Former Seahawks FB Michael Robinson’s comments this week)
“I haven’t heard about that. Whatever he said, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Whether it was good or bad it’s really not going to change what’s going on around here for us.”

(On if he feels pressure to perform)
“I don’t really pay attention to that I think that question’s probably been asked every year since I’ve been here. Every year is a ‘make it or break it’ year according to someone. I think everyone in our locker room feels really good about where we’re at right now and where this football team is going. I think we have a great chance to be really good. We’re just worried about coming out here right now at camp and getting better every day.”

(On his goals for today’s practice)
“Today was really just about coming back out here, getting everyone back in the flow of things. Getting everyone in and out of the huddle efficiently. Working on some of the corrections we talked about from OTAs. For the most part I think it went pretty smooth today. Obviously we’ll go in and look at the film here in a little bit, there’s always things to clean up. My overall impressions of the first day was it was pretty smooth.”

RamzFanz

Damnit
(On how QB Sam Bradford looked on today)

“He was fine. He’s doing good, throwing the ball well. Had a great summer, even had some of the guys in over the break and threw to them, so he’s run a good program. We went and visited him and he’s ready to go.”

That's how you say rusty coming off an injury. His face says it all when he says "he's ready to go"; he's not ready to go.

Doesn't mean he won't be, but he's not ready to go.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I like this new Sam.....Talks a bunch more...Anybody else a little concerned Britt, Givens, and Cook didn't attended "Camp Sam"?

lockdnram21

Legend
I like this new Sam.....Talks a bunch more...Anybody else a little concerned Britt, Givens, and Cook didn't attended "Camp Sam"?

yea wondering why Givens Britt and cook didn't go. Especially Britt he needs to get timing with Bradford. I think eventually our top 3 receivers will be Bailey, Austin, and Quick