TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher and QB Austin Davis (10-9-14)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher and QB Austin Davis (10-9-14)

Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – Post–Practice – October 9, 2014

(Opening Statement)
“We were originally scheduled to have practice inside, but we got it done outside so it was a good day. We had an extra head start yesterday. We got some work on the field, guys came back ready to work and so I feel like we’ve got a good plan. Playing an outstanding opponent in a Monday night environment, which is going to be special for a lot of these young guys. A lot of these guys haven’t been there before. Our job’s to get them ready. To know what to anticipate, and focus on your football.”

(On how he manages team enthusiasm as they anticipate Monday’s game)
“Well that’s the thing. That’s the discussion that will start taking place, Monday, midday/afternoon. It’s a long wait and you burn a lot of energy and calories just sitting around anticipating the kickoff. The best thing to do is just focus on your football, that’s the way we’ve approached it.”

(On if he has anything to keep the team occupied Monday)
“Maybe.”

(On 49ers defensive strength despite having LBs NoVarro Bowman and Aldon Smith out)
“They’re system’s outstanding. They plug people in. They’ve always had great depth. They don’t give up a lot of big plays. They keep things in front of them and they’re very good against the run. So, it’s going to be a huge challenge for us to find a way to run the football because we’re going to need to do that to keep their offense off the field.”

(On if he still sees the 49ers consistency)
“It’s the same 49er team. They’re very, very good. They had a couple issues early on, but they’ve come back. We had the common opponent last week in Philly. You watch and get a good sense for what they’re doing. They played very well last weekend.”

(On if the 49ers are still hated)
“I don’t know that hated is the word. Now we’ve got three teams besides us in the division that can make a case that they’re the elite. Obviously, the 49ers have been so close and anything can happen. We’ve have some interesting games against them here in just a couple years. We have to play, obviously our best football.”

(On if last year’s Thursday night game at San Francisco was an example of the team being overexcited)
“No, we were in it for a while and then things fell apart. We gave up some plays and made some mistakes. The match-up out there was a decent match-up for a half. We battled them, held them to threes. We just couldn’t get the offense going.”

(On 49ers DT Justin Smith)
“He’s just the same every single year. He appears to be very healthy right now. He’s playing a lot of snaps and he’s playing hard. He’s an emotional player and kind of referred to (RB Frank) Gore as kind of their nerve center of their football team on offense. Everything’s built around them. And you can make a case that Justin is the guy there on defense. But you can’t overlook (LB) Patrick (Willis) and the rest of the group. They’ve done a really good job with like I said the backups and the secondary. ”
(On if he would like Smith to retire going in his 14th season)
“Yeah, if you can talk him into retiring this weekend that would be great. I’ll go to his retirement party (laughs).”

(On how effective the 49ers’ secondary has remained)
“Yeah, the safeties. (S) Antoine (Bethea) has been, in my opinion one of the top safeties in the league. Having faced him for so many years in Indianapolis and he’s playing really well right now. (S Eric) Reid’s playing good, the safeties are playing. (CB Perrish) Cox is making plays. Obviously, he’s been productive as far as getting the ball and they’ve got depth. You can’t discount their special teams units either.”

(On the difficulties surrounding containing Gore’s running game)
“It’s Frank and it’s (RB) Carlos (Hyde) and whoever else they decide to hand the ball off to. This is a really good receiver group too. (WR) Stevie’s (Johnson) really helped them. (WR) Brandon’s (Lloyd) making catches, circus catches. Then you’ve got to deal with (WR Michael) Crabtree and of course (WR) Anquan (Boldin) so it’s a solid group.”

(On the reasoning behind bringing in LB Will Herring)
“Just what he’s done over the years. Felt like he was in shape. He could be plugged in any place on our special teams, our big four because he’s done everything. He’s got the respect. He automatically walks in and has the respect of the room because people that played against him know. They know what he’s capable of doing. He understands hard work and he’s going to prepare himself.”

(On if he’s anxious and excited about seeing QB Austin Davis play against an elite defense)
“We don’t look ahead. But, four of our next five are in the division and so we’re going to find out a lot about ourselves. That’s not only Austin but everybody on both sides of the ball.”

(On CB E.J. Gaines and his progress this season)
“It was a great play he made last week on the deep ball. He’s shown up. He’s making plays, has a good feel for what we’re doing defensively. I’m proud of him, the way he’s stepped up.”

Rams QB Austin Davis – Post Practice – October 9, 2014(On the Rams-49ers rivalry and playing on Monday Night Football)
“Well I think, obviously a division game so it’s really important. It’s a ball game we need to win. We’ll be prepared.”

(On if the momentum from the end of the last game will carry into Monday Night)
“We talked about just kind of carrying that momentum into this week and what we were able to do towards the end of the game. We’re going to try and put 60 minutes together. Not just play one half, play two complete halves. That’s what it’s going to take to beat a really good football team.”

(On what challenges do the 49ers present)
“Well, I think they’re probably the best all-around defense we’ve seen so far. The secondary’s really good. They’ve got probably the best linebacker in the game in Patrick Willis. Everyone knows what he can do. They’re really good up front. Huge, huge challenge for us and I think we’re ready for it.”

(On after watching the film what did he see that aided to the problems in the passing game early on against Philadelphia)
“Sometimes it just doesn’t click. It’s hard to pinpoint one thing or another. We didn’t really get into a rhythm early. I felt like we had a couple early incompletions. Just never really could get it going. For whatever reason, that was the case. There’s not really one answer to that question.”

(On if he thinks the offense is improving from week to week)
“I do. I feel like we are improving. The difficult part is we’ve got to be able to put a complete game together. We’ve had critical mistakes in every ball game that unfortunately have come back to cost us. We’ve got to clean that up and play a complete game.”

(On if he is getting more and more adjusted to the speed of the NFL after each start)
“Yeah I think with every play it gets a little slower. That’s the idea, just get more and more comfortable with what you’re doing.”

(On playing on Monday Night Football)
“Yeah, I think it’s going to be really good for us. It’s just that kind of extra motivation. That extra prep during the week, to know that there’s only one game on, the whole world’s kind of watching. I think we need to show how far we’ve come. Our record is not what we want it to be, let’s not make any bones about it, but I think we’re better than that and we need to show it.”

(On what he felt when he watched Monday Night Football as a kid)
“Big time. Everyone watches Monday Night. We’ll be ready to go.”

(On playing the 49ers defense)
“I think, as I said earlier, it’s probably our biggest challenge across the board. One of the best defenses probably we’ll play all year. Really good secondary, best linebacker in the game probably, Patrick Willis, and then they’re really solid up front. So, really, really looking forward to the challenge and we’ve got to be prepared.”

(On preparing for the physicality that the 49ers bring to the game)
“Well, like you said, we play them twice every year so you know what they’re going to scheme wise. I would say they’re fairly simple but they’re really good at it. Like you said, they’re really physical and just a really, really good defense. So, we’ll have to have a couple things up and try to get behind them and create some explosive plays. They’re a tough defense to go 10-12, methodically drive the football, but if we have to do that, we’ll have to that.”

(On if their base defense is still a three-man front or did it change to a four-man front)
“Their base defense, they’re going to play a little bit of both. They’re going to play some three down looks and slide the tackle down and create a four-man. In their sub passing situations they’ll play a four down. So they do a little bit of both.”

(On the new personnel in the 49ers secondary)
“They’ve added some guys. They’ve plugged those guys right in and they’ve played really well. So, they’ve changed who it is but I don’t think their productivity has dropped at all. Really good secondary.”

(On if he was he with the Rams when the Rams and 49ers played on Thursday night last season)
“I was not here for that one, I don’t believe the first one.”

(On if he watched that game on TV)
“Nope. I don’t remember it.”