TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher (8-26-14)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher (8-26-14)

Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – Post Practice – August 26, 2014

(On QB Shaun Hill’s performance today)
“He was fine. We had a walk through earlier and he did fine. He got a few reps today, so not concerned about it.”

(On if he has decided the amount of snaps Hill will play on Thursday)
“Yeah I have.”

(On if he would like to share how many snaps he Hill will play)
“No I won’t.”

(On what he sees out of QB Austin Davis)
“Well Austin’s mobile. First off, he’s smart, he understands what we’re doing. He can extend plays if he needs to. He’s gotten much better at keeping his eyes downfield, and that’s a hard thing to learn. It’s almost a trait. But, when you can step, feel around the pocket with your eyes down the field you’ve got a chance to make plays.”

(On the position battle between DE Ethan Westbrooks and DE Michael Sam)
“I think they’re both doing well right now. No different than any other positional races on this football team. They’re both doing well. You know me, I’m not going to say who’s one or who’s two.”

(On the possibility of keeping 10 defensive linemen)
“It’s possible we can keep 12.”

(On Westbrooks’ performance in training camp and the preseason)
“He’s been very productive from the time camp started. He came in at great shape and making plays. He’s playing all four positions right now.”

(On if Sam can contribute on special teams)
“I’ve went on record over the last couple of weeks about Michael Sam and his special teams contributions and it’s really unfair to have expectations of him to be productive at that because you just don’t…as a defensive end, you’re not asked to do those things. And he’s not a ‘tweener’ as people have referred to. He’s a defensive end, not a linebacker, and it’s rare that you get a defensive end that’s going to go out and contribute on all four of your core special teams. We have one defensive end on our team, Eugene Sims, that is on our punt protection team and that’s it. So, special teams is not part of the equation for Mike. We’re giving him every opportunity to do so and he’s participated in special teams practices and everything but that’s not going to be part of the criteria for the evaluations.”

(On if Sam’s roster spot is purely based on his defensive performance)
“That’s correct.”

(On if he has any idea of how long the starters are going to play on Thursday)
“We’re working through it. We feel like we just finished up the Cleveland game. We’re going to be selective and some may play more than others. Really that’s all I can say now.”

(On CB E.J. Gaines performance in practice)
“E.J. has done a nice job. He missed last week, he’s been off for about 10 days but he’s back. He feels good, he’ll play. He’s done a nice job both at the corner spot, the nickel spot and on special teams.”

(On if Sam participated in special teams in games this preseason)
“He was on kickoff return. We use linemen on kickoff return but we usually use offensive linemen. So it’s part of our practice and camp preparations.”

(On if Sam volunteered to partake in special teams drills)
“Nobody volunteers. We have expectations for everybody. So, he’s willing to do whatever we ask him to do right now.”

(On the defensive line depth)
“Well it’s good. We’re healthy, which is good after our scares from last week. It’s good I think we’ve got depth, we’ve got youth, and we certainly have flexibility.”

(On DE Robert Quinn’s performance this preseason)
“Well Rob’s not played a whole lot for obvious reasons but he’s played enough. He’s practicing very well. I think he’s better now than he was last year when we finished up. Because that was a goal of his at camp.”

(On how the veterans have handled things since QB Sam Bradford’s injury news was broken)
“I’ll use this analogy: you lose a tough regular season game, you put it in perspective. You almost have a 24-hour rule, you come back and get ready for next week. That’s how players are and that’s what their mindset is today. They are ready to go, they are ready to do everything they possibly can to help Shaun be successful.”

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
...12 DL? He's freaking with us, right?

Yes, he was jokin with the media, basicly sayin he could keep as many DL as he wanted to. Of course this would limit the # of players he could keep at other positions.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

I hope so. He also basically said that Sam can't do ST's because he's a D end which is going to hurt him in the battle for a roster spot

Oyster

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Since our defense is going to have to be our strong suit this season, he might be thinking he'd better have extras in case of injuries.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I hope so. He also basically said that Sam can't do ST's because he's a D end which is going to hurt him in the battle for a roster spot
I don't know if that's what he meant. I think he was just stating that he sees Sam as what he is....a DE. Is Westbrooks a big ST contributor?? I honestly don't know and am asking in case you have any idea.....

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
“Well Rob’s not played a whole lot for obvious reasons but he’s played enough. He’s practicing very well. I think he’s better now than he was last year when we finished up. Because that was a goal of his at camp.”

Is this even possible?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
No, he said it was unfair to have any expectations of asking a DE to perform on all four core ST. And that he is being evaluated for his DE position. He didn't say he can't do them. Because he is.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I don't know if that's what he meant. I think he was just stating that he sees Sam as what he is....a DE. Is Westbrooks a big ST contributor?? I honestly don't know and am asking in case you have any idea.....
Westbrooks is doing the exact same thing Sam is. A "wedge" blocker on the 2nd unit KO team. Barnes and Person have been manning those spots on the 1st unit.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
He said he is being evaluated as a DE, and that it was not correct of himself(Fisher) to say he'd have to be a core special teamer. So, in essence, he's being evaluated at the DE position only. Fisher also said that Sam isn't a tweener, and that he is a DE. Westbrooks has played so well, that the decision is no longer an easy one, I think. They are both good football players, but Westbrooks has played against much better competition in the preseason, and is more versatile.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Is this even possible?
h49C2C643

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick

Love Fisher's attitude. Feels like he's on the ropes and the fight is on early and Fisher is starting to harden up and push back. I like a person that is not panicking or gets overwhelmed.

P.s. anybody know where to buy that shirt he is wearing? That is bad ass!

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
You know, of it weren't for the recent news regarding Bradford, I could see this becoming a post disgrace headline.

"Jeff Fisher to keep 12 players on the defensive line"

To of course be taken out of context for the joke that it was, which is this: I can keep however many I want bitches. Which is really just a guise for, your question is just stupid and I have no intention of tipping other teams on who I'll likely cut.

Thus ends my media rant for the day ...

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
He may not want to tip his hand on the DL in case he can use one as trade bait for a QB. Saying yeah, we'll cut 2 would sort of hurt that. I like Hill about as well as anything that looks to be available. If he goes down the season will be screwed anyway.