TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher (8-21-14)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – Post Practice – August 21, 2014

(Opening Statement)
“A little warm today. Basically, what we did for them today was we tried to familiarize them with Cleveland. Cleveland’s obviously got a new staff, new coordinators, playing very well on defense. They selected their quarterback, they got a run game going, so we try to give them a chance to get familiar with that then will finish up tomorrow and we’ll take off. We got some guys healing up. Of course, we got (LB) James Laurinaitis) on the field today, don’t know whether he’s going to go, it will be very close. But as I said (OL) Rodger’s (Saffold) expected to play and (OL) Jake’s (Long) expected to play, and (DT Michael Brockers) ‘Brock’ is back and we got a couple of younger DBs back today, which was good.”

(On if almost all the starters will play this weekend)
“Close to, yeah, which will be good. Really our hope is to play the first half. Some guys may come out just a little sooner, but, that’ll be our guidelines to try and get the starters to play at least a half.”

(On what he expects out of this upcoming game as the third preseason game is considered the ‘dress rehearsal’ for the season)
“Yes and no, we probably will play more in the fourth game because we like to build reps. But again, if you go to the backend of the roster we’re looking for guys that are competing for spots. We’re looking for improvement out of the younger group of players on special teams. We got to minimalize our special teams’ penalties. I’m kind of excited about getting the secondary together for the first time this year. That’s going to be a good thing. (CB) Lamarcus (Joyner) will line up and play in the slot for us, then of course it’s good to get Jake and Rodger back for the first time.”

(On how good it is to have the starting OL together this weekend considering they haven’t had many practice reps together)
“Well, they have, yeah. Just because Jake came back and then Rodger was a little bit behind, but we’ve had a few days and hopefully we’ll have plenty of time before the opener.”

(On what he tells guys at the backend of the roster who are fighting for a spot on the team)
“Tell him not worry about next week. Just pay attention to their football, stay in the book, study, prepare, don’t be distracted because it’s a road game, and just go out and do the best you can.”

(On if there are many roster spots still available)
“Yeah, there’s some things that could change. The roster may look a little bit different than years past because we may have more depth at one position. We may go a little heavier at one position versus another position. So they can’t waste their time trying to figure out what’s going to happen because things can change on a daily basis. ”

(On if he’s looking forward to playing QB Johnny Manziel)
“I’m hoping he gets to play a lot. He’s an outstanding athlete and he’ll test our defense if he breaks the pocket and takes off running.”

(On if his feelings will be hurt if Johnny Manziel makes any obscene gestures)
“No, I’d say it’s highly unlikely that he were to do something like that. I think he’s probably learned from his experience.”

(On if DT Michael Brockers will play more than a half)
“Yeah, he falls into that. That’s what I said. Our goal is to get everybody to play close to a half, but there may be some individual situations where guys don’t play all the way up to halftime. Now we’ve got numbers on the defensive line and we traditionally rotate them anyway. So with rotation… if he’s playing 15-20 plays with rotation he’s clearly playing till halftime.”

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
“Yes and no, we probably will play more in the fourth game because we like to build reps."

YES! I was counting on that (because it's the norm for him). I'll be there for that game too, so bonus.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
“Yes and no, we probably will play more in the fourth game because we like to build reps."

YES! I was counting on that (because it's the norm for him). I'll be there for that game too, so bonus.

Bet on that game too, our starters against another teams backups = easy money. Can even make just the first half wager if Fisher says for sure before the game that's gonna happen.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

That will be sweet, and we need some reps...it's a little different this year, because of all the starters injuries, I think.