TRANSCRIPTS: Pete Carroll, Russell Wilson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Seahawks Head Coach Pete Carroll – Conference Call – December 23, 2015

(On what it says about the makeup of the team to get back on track after a slow start)
“Well, we have been pretty resilient over the years and able to kind of get right. This is one of the turns that we’ve made in years past. We saw it happen about a month ago and we’re trying to ride it and keep on getting better and see if we can finish on a really high note.”

(On if he feels like team has a chance to get back in the Super Bowl)
“If we do this thing right, we’re just doing it this week. That’s all we do. We’re just doing this week. We’ve never looked ahead like that. Looking ahead gets us nowhere. What we have to do is focus on getting a really good week put together here, so we’re ready to play against you guys. That’s, really, all we’ve ever done. We’re going to do it again this week.”

(On the difference in the team since Week 1)
“Well, there are some changes and we’re trying to figure that out. The coaching change on offense and quarterback change, and some of the guys on defense. We can see that the coaches have adapted and the players have adapted, so we’re trying to uncover that and figure out how we can best attack and take care of business. So, it’s a little bit of a different kind of week for us in that regard.”

(On QB Russell Wilson’s progress)
“The stats really tell you that he’s on a good run right here. I think it’s a combination of a lot of things that have happened and Russell is right there in the middle of it, and he’s taken it as far as he can. The receivers are doing well. The line is much improved from where we were at the beginning. If we can maintain the emphasis around the football, then we can keep that formula together. We’re going to try to ride and see if we can keep rolling with it.”

(On the challenge of running the ball in light of all the injuries they’ve had at running back)
“It is what it is. It’s the challenge that we have every year. Everybody’s got challenges of losing guys and guys are in and out of the lineup. We try to stay really true to who we are and really consistent in the formula that’s been successful for us, regardless of who’s is playing. That gives us a chance to at least know how we’re trying to do it. So we’ll see if we can keep this going.”

(On if Wilson is doing anything different than he has in past seasons)
“No, he’s been very consistent. His process of getting the game plan together and putting together a good week and all that is really the same as it’s been. But, it’s only natural that you’d get better in time. The continuity and the chemistry between him and the receivers, Doug (Baldwin) and Jermaine Kearse and now Tyler Lockett, that’s really obvious that there’s an improvement there. They’ve been working at it for a long time. It’s not like we haven’t been successful. These guys have been really good. This is just a particularly sharp run for us right now. Hopefully, we can make it go another week.”

(On Baldwin’s high level of play this season)
“I don’t think anybody’s doing anything differently. I think we’ve just improved. When I’m asked this question, I’m not giving you guys the answer that you want, but Doug has always been an impact player for us. If you go back to his rookie season, he had the best numbers of any free agent rookie in history...keeping stats. He’s always been a big deal to us. The makeup of our offense, we don’t throw the ball to guys 100 times a year. It gets mixed around more. Now I think with what’s happened up front with the line coming together, we’re taking advantage of all these years together and the guys are playing at a real high level. He’s on the verge of having his best year. Jermaine is on the verge of having his best year and Russell is, too. All that kind of fits together. Of course he’s a really good player, and so is Russell. They’re terrific football players. But we’re benefitting from the time we’ve spent together and the continuity of it all.”

(On how the offensive line has come together over the course of the season)
“Yeah. I don’t know... we had had 30-something sacks after six or seven games, whatever the heck it was. We’ve probably had eight or 10 or something in the last seven or eight games. We’ve improved tremendously in protecting for the quarterback. We’ve run the football about the same the whole time so that hasn’t improved a whole lot. It’s been consistent, which we like. But, the pass protection has really come together and the timing and the rhythm of it is all part of that.”

(On if RB Christine Michael has matured at all)
“Well he certainly has been through some experiences that you couldn’t of had unless you went to another couple of teams. He saw what it was like at Dallas and then he saw what it was like at Washington and from the looks of it, he’s real happy to be back. Whatever that means. Without question, he’s come back with the determination of a guy that wants to prove himself and prove some of the consideration we gave him. We gave him the No. 2 draft pick. We thought he could be a heck of a football player and he’s trying to show us that he can be. There’s a real good mix there of his determination and his work habits. He’s always been talented and benn really explosive. We’ve always loved that about him. Right now, we’re seeing him at the best we have and hopefully we just keep building. He’s trying to just add to the team and do his part being a good teammate right now.”

(On what Rams RB Todd Gurley brings to the mix)
“I think he’s a tremendous football player. That’s not going out on a limb saying that. We loved him in the draft and knew as soon as they took him that they had a terrific player. I think the way he’s burst on the scene right from the first game, it just showed you that he’s really special. He’s big and strong and tough and understands the game. He catches the ball well. I’m sure he can do anything athletically. He’s a tremendous athlete. He’s a really good competitor and you can see that in his style of play. So, it’s going to be a great chore for us. Our guys are going to take a lot of pride in playing run defense. It’s going to be a big challenge for us to play him.”

(On what he sees in Rams QB Case Keenum)
“He sure looked good against Tampa. He lit it up and did everything they wanted. Not a big change kind of in the style of play by the quarterback position. He was really efficient though and he made big plays and moved well, and took advantage of some great opportunities and cashed in. I’m sure everybody’s excited about him and I can see why. He looked really good.”

(On if he considers the Rams rivals)
“We really don’t talk like that. We’ve never taken anybody on as a rival. Other people say stuff that...I think everybody in the division is a fantastic match-up. That’s always been that way. Everybody is the same to us in that we want to treat them the same. It calls for the same kind of effort, same kind of focus. So, we really don’t talk like that. I think that’s much more of a media thing from our concerns.”

(On how G Justin Britt has done)
“He’s done really well. He’s played every game for us since he’s come in. He played right tackle as you know and moved to left guard this year for us. He’s been a really solid player for us and been a great competitor. He’s a great kid in the program. We’re really, really pleased with him.”

(On if moving Britt inside was just the way it worked out)
“That’s the way it worked out mixing our guys together to get everybody in the best spots. (T) Garry Gilliam going to right tackle had something to do with that. So it’s just really putting our guys in the right spots. It shows really good versatility for a guy to start two different positions in two years. I think that says a lot about Justin and his football talent and his intellect and all of that with the game.”

Seahawks QB Russell Wilson – Conference Call – December 23, 2015

(On the streak he is on)
“We’re just trying to focus and play great football. That’s the key.”

(On the last five games for him and if he has been in the zone lately)
“It’s everybody else. I think, collectively, we’re just playing lights out football. I think that we’ve really been on it, and been in tune and been in sync offensively. The wide receivers are making great plays, the tight ends are making great plays, running backs are making great plays, too, as well. And the offensive line is doing a phenomenal job up front.”

(On if he is not taking any credit for the success of the offense)
“The key is just the preparation. I always say, the separation is in the preparation. That’s where, I think, we’ve continued to grow together.”

(On if he feels he has to do more in the passing game with RBs Marshawn Lynch and Thomas Rawls out)
“Well, any time you lose an amazing talent like Marshawn Lynch and what he’s done for us and all that – that’s a huge loss. Then, you think about Thomas Rawls and being an undrafted rookie who is going to be a star of this league, in my opinion. What he was doing is phenomenal football. Obviously, losing those two guys, that really hurts. And then, you can’t forget about (TE) Jimmy Graham too. Losing Jimmy Graham. He was having a great season. He caught like 48-or something balls, 50 balls, and we were about halfway through. I thought he was doing a great job for us too, as well. Losing those three star players – that hurts. But, at the same time, we have a lot of other great players. Guys like (WR) Doug Baldwin has played unbelievable. He works so hard. He’s such a great leader and such a great teammate, so to be around him all the time is awesome. Then, you have a guy like (WR) Tyler Lockett, who is going to his first Pro Bowl as a rookie. Just has great hands and does the right thing all the time and just does it the right way. (WR) Jermaine Kearse has been so clutch and so consistent for us. He’s a great player as well. So, those guys have really stepped up. You think about the running back position, having guys that have to step in and step up. I think a guy that’s played really well for us too is (RB) Fred Jackson. He’s a professional. He’s been in the league for 10 years and just does it the right way every day. Just to look up to a guy like that and to be around a guy like Fred Jackson – he’s meant a lot to us.”

(On if their depth speaks to the success of the front office and scouting department)
“It definitely does. And, I think, all the hard work at practice. All the hard work that you put into practice to get you ready for the games.”

(On if he has seen growth in Baldwin)
“Well, when you put the hard work in and you put the dedication in, you expect great things to happen. All the receivers, obviously including Doug – he’s one of the best leaders on our team and he leads that wide receiver group, him and Jermaine Kearse. They put the hard work in, the dedication in, so we expect great things to happen. They love the game. They’re passionate about it. They study a ton, so come game day, great things happen.”

(On the development of the offensive line)
“Those guys have done an amazing job. We had a couple of movements up front and all of that. Patrick Lewis has really stepped up and done a great job for us. Communicating really well, he’s passing it down the line. We’re all talking up front and just making sure that we’re all on the same page. I think that’s the key. In a season, you want to continue to progress. You want to continue to get better. These guys, just working with them every day. The early mornings. The 6 (am), 6:15 (am) meetings in the mornings, and after practice talking and discussing different things and all that – it really, really helps. So, over time in the season, we’ve just gotten a lot better.”

(On if he thinks his game has evolved since the first game of the season)
“Yes, I want it to continue to evolve. That’s the goal. Week-in to week-out, you want to continue to evolve and get better. You want to be playing your best football in December and January, hopefully. I definitely think so. Like I said, when you put the hard work in and dedication in, and the preparation – you expect great things to happen.”

(On if he feels like this season he has answered the doubters of his passing game)
“I’ve never doubted our offense. We have so many great players and so many great guys and so many great playmakers. So, my goal as the quarterback is to facilitate the ball to the right guy at the right time and play winning football. Ultimately, all that matters is that we find a way to win. That’s just kind of my thought process.”

(On if this season has shown the championship pedigree of the Seahawks)
“For sure. It all starts with (Head) Coach (Pete) Carroll and then down the line in terms of the leaders on our football team and in the locker room and the focus that we have when it comes to practice and games. I think that we have so many great leaders on this team. It’s a lot of fun. We enjoy one another. We put the work in and so ultimately, the resilience is there. The grit is there. Like I said too, the attention to detail is there. And then ultimately, when you play the games, you want to enjoy it and find a way to win.”

(On what’s different about the Rams from the last time they played)
“Well, they’re missing a couple of guys, obviously. They’re flying around. They had a great game last week against the Bucs. They’re doing a lot of great things. You look at (DT) Aaron Donald and what he’s doing up front. He’s a star in this league and you’ve got to have respect who he is and how he plays the game. He enjoys it out there, so watching him, he’s a great football player. They have so many different guys up front making plays. Obviously, across the board from (DE Eugene) Sims, to (DT Michael) Brockers, to (DE) Chris Long, who I’m good friends with. They’ve got (DE William) Hayes up front, too. You’ve got (DT Nick) Fairley that plays in there. They’ve got so many different guys, so you’ve got to understand where all of those guys are and everything and then the linebackers are flying around making plays. You think about (LB James) Laurinaitis and his leadership on that defense and who he is as a player. He’s a great football player and he’s very sound and very athletic in terms of making plays. You’ve got (S) Mark Barron in there too making plays as well. It’s a high-flying defense. And then you think about the secondary. I think that you look at their defense and you think about…when I turn on the film, you notice (S) Rodney McLeod right away and his ability at the free safety spot and what he can do and fly around. He’s a great football player. And then (CB) Janoris Jenkins and then obviously (CB) Trumaine Johnson, too. Those guys out wide. I haven’t had a chance to play against (S) Maurice Alexander really yet, but on film he comes up and makes plays. It’ll be a great game. It’ll be a battle for sure and we’re looking forward to it.”

(On if the Rams are rivals)
“Yeah. Obviously, when I say that, being in the NFC West, all of those teams are great football teams. We have a lot of respect for Coach Fisher and how they’re coached and their players and the talent that they have on their defense. Every NFL game is a championship game. Every NFL game is a big game. When you think about their defense and their players that they have as well, you know it’s going to be a battle.”

(On if he feels they are prime to make another Super Bowl run)
“You can’t look too far. We’ve got a very, very good football team coming into Century Link come this Sunday. That’s the only thing that’s on our mind, is getting prepared for this game and having a great week of practice and then come game day, hopefully finding a way.”

(On how his friendship with DE Chris Long developed)
“Well Chris, I’ve gotten to know his whole family. Chris and Kyle and Howie, big Howie and all of that, the whole family. Growing up playing against them in baseball and football and all of that. Chris went to UVA and I’ve gotten to know him from there. He went to STABS (St. Anne’s-Belfield School), which was one of the schools that I used to play against growing up in high school and all of that. I used to play against Kyle Long all of the time too. Just good family friends and a lot of respect for who he is and his family and all of that. And then also, I do the Water Boys thing with him too as well. That’s a really, really cool thing that’s helping change the world.”

(On if he pitched against Chris Long and if he struck him out)
“I don’t think so. I don’t know about that. I can’t even think that far back. I’m trying to remember if I played against Chris in baseball. I don’t know if I did or not. I know Kyle I did for sure. I think I played, because I played varsity in eighth grade, I think I played against Chris maybe his senior year. They’re both so big, it’s hard to remember which one was which.”

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
We have a lot of respect for Coach Fisher and how they’re coached and their players and the talent that they have on their defense.

I'm cherry picking a quote, I get that... and Wilson is generally a classy player, but... Freak it... This is good motivation for everyone on offense.