TRANSCRIPTS: Jeff Fisher, Case Keenum, Nick Foles, Todd Gurley - Post Practice - 11/17/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – Post Practice – 11/17/15

(On getting reinforcements on the team today)
“Yes, we did. We went to work. (Rams General Manager) Les’s (Snead) staff did a great job. We looked at a lot of tape. So, we signed off of practice squad (OL) Brian Folkerts, who got experience from San Francisco. He was really excited to come here and go down the street and live with mom and dad, I guess. So, that worked out good for us. Then, yesterday afternoon, the Texans waived (C) Eric Kush. Eric’s got some center ability, some great feet. So, we claimed him today off the waiver wire. So, that was good and we’re moving people around. Of course, as I said, we brought (T) Isaiah Battle up to active roster. Then, we had to make some moves. We released Gerald Rivers off practice (squad). We’re still doing things. We have to wait tomorrow for a few things, but things are coming together for us.”

(On Brian Folkerts position)
“Guard/center. Both he and (C Eric) Kush are guard/centers.”

(On how he thought QB Case Keenum looked today)
“Case was good. It was just walk-thru pace. He was good. He was excited. We backed down intentionally today. Today is normally more up-tempo but backed down just because we had some guys that had we gone with the tempo, probably couldn’t have gotten the work. So, it was more of a walk-thru tempo today. It was good.”

(On if there are things Keenum is going to be able to do differently with his mobility)
“Well, I think that Case has shown that he can extend plays. I mean, scramble around, extend plays and make throws down the field. So, yeah, there are some things that we can do a little bit differently. But, it all starts with the run game and our ability to protect him.”

(On how QB Nick Foles is handling the switch)
“Yes, he is a pro. Proud of him. It’s not easy. Today’s a hard day. A really hard day for him, but he’s handled it with class and understands. Don’t expect him to like it, but he’s a pro. He’s still our captain. He’s our offensive captain.”

(On Keenum starting over Foles)
“We needed to make a change. I went into details with that yesterday.”

(On if it’s realistic to think that he can throw the whole playbook at Keenum)
“Yeah, there’s nothing we have to scale down. I mean, he’s been preparing himself to play week in and week out. (He) understands the offense, so we just want to be mindful of the things that he really likes. There’s some different things. We made some minor adjustments in the plan just because there’s some things that he sees and sees a little differently than Nick and they prefer. It’s all good. All it does is hopefully translates into first downs.”

(On practicing in the indoor today)
“No choice today. But, I’m thinking about opening practice Saturday for you guys because there’s a chance of snow flurries.”

(On Baltimore)
“It seems like every week we’ve got a different challenge. This week we’ve got a tremendous challenge. They’re a 2-7 team that could very well be 7-2. Their point difference on their win/losses is probably right around two or three points a game. The quarterback’s outstanding. They have a good running back. Their offensive line is blocking well. The ball’s going down the field. They have a receiver that we know can really run. They’re healing up in the secondary and their defense is active. The two inside linebackers are outstanding. We really like (ILB C.J.) Mosley. So, it’s a good football team. They had a really unfortunate ending to the game. (Ravens Head) Coach (John) Harbaugh always has outstanding special teams because that’s his background. Just getting started on that, it looks like it’s going to be a hard go for us on (special) teams.”

Rams QB Case Keenum – Post Practice – 11/17/15

(On what yesterday was like for him)
“It started out pretty normal. Obviously, (Head) Coach (Jeff) Fisher came in and talked to us after we were done watching the film. Kind of a lot of different emotions at that time. (QB) Nick’s (Foles) one of my best friends. We’ve been fighting hard together to play the best that our position can play. I have the utmost respect for Nick. That’s the first person that I talked to after Coach Fisher told us. We have a great relationship and I have his back no matter what. Nobody cares more about this team, loves the guys on this team, respects the guys on this team. If you guys would’ve heard the speech he gave Saturday night before the game the other night, it moved me. One of the best I’ve ever heard pregame. Just one of the best guys I know. Nothing changes between us. Maybe a few different snaps here and there. We’re going to go forward like we always have. Getting ready to play, watching film, talking through plays with each other, getting things ready to go and looking at Baltimore.”

(On what the tenor of Foles’ speech was)
“That’s a team meeting deal…that we talk about, what happens in team meeting that stays there. Everybody in this locker room knows how much that he cares about this team. Nobody has a doubt in him as a player or person or anything of that matter.”

(On having been on both sides of a quarterback change)
“Yeah, I’ve been on a lot of sides of the quarterback position, in this business especially. I’ve been named the starter after a guy that gets injured or whatever it is. I’ve been a backup now for a while. I’ve been replaced as a starter. I’ve been a No.4 guy on one team and then starting the next week for another team. I’ve kind of been through it all. You have to be ready when you get a chance. I’m ready. I’ve been prepared and that’s what I do every week, is I get ready to play. I’m excited for my chance, I really am. I’m excited to go out there and compete again. You don’t get many chances to play in this league. I definitely count it as a blessing. To have a second chance to come out and compete is incredible.”

(On if his knowledge of the offense is better now than it was a year ago)
“Yeah, quite a bit. (Offensive Coordinator Frank) ‘Cig’ (Cignetti) and I spent a lot of time last year together. Being the third guy, being the practice squad guy for the last half of the season, just talking ball. I think as a quarterback you want to be on the same page as your coordinator. See the defense with the same set of eyes and I think we do. This week, I’m about to go up there right now and meet with him some more. We’re just continually doing that and just trying to put our team in the best possible situation to win on Sunday.”

(On if there are things he can bring to the offense with his legs)
“I play the game like I know how to play the game. I try to find the open guy. I try to get the ball out of my hands and into the fast guys hands. That tends to work better when I’m not holding it and they’ve got it in their hands. You guys know the talent we have in this locker room and you’ve seen it every Sunday and that’s my job.”

(On getting his timing down with the receivers)
“I got a lot of reps with these guys during the preseason. They rotated receivers in and out. I’ve seen every rep, every practice rep, everything that’s happened around here for the whole time. As far as sliding into that, I try to do the same thing as Nick in certain situations, but I’m different at the same time. It is what it is.”

(On if he feels okay with the chemistry with the starting receivers)
“Yeah, I think so. I think it always takes time. Chemistry takes time. That’s one thing that’s tough about this league is that sometimes you don’t get to play with guys. There’s only certain quarterbacks in this league that play for the same team for years on years. That’s one of the reasons they do so well is they play with the same guys. They can read body language during routes, off breaks, pre-snap, different things like that. That’s why we practice. That’s why we go out there and play. The more you play, the more you practice, the more experience you get and that’s priceless.”

(On how much the Ravens being a familiar opponent helps)
“I played Baltimore last year. I’ve been to Baltimore there to their stadium before when I was with the Texans. I wasn’t playing, but I’ve been to the stadium. It helps and it doesn’t. It’s previous years. It’s a new team. It’s a new opponent. Baltimore is a different team, too. There’s good and bad things there.”

(On how different it feels to go through a game plan knowing he’s going to be out there on Sunday)
“You may dot a few more I’s and cross a few more T’s when you’re thinking about the plan. I try to visualize when I’m not playing, I try to prepare like I am. My routine is quite similar. I try to prepare and be the most mentally ready that I can be every time I step on the practice field. Now, instead of sitting back there visualizing it doing fake reps on air, I get the real reps, which is a lot better than sitting back there on air doing that.”

(On if he feels the need to step up his leadership game)
“I am who I am. And Nick is who he is. He’s a leader on this team. He’s a captain. He’s my captain. I don’t think that me being named starter diminishes anything of that of him. I’ve learned a lot from him in however many, six months that I’ve been here that we’ve been here together. One of the best leadership guys that I’ve been around. I’m going to continue to look to him and I know guys on the team are going to continue to look to him as well to be that leader.”

(On if he feels that now that he’s the starter, leadership is an aspect of his game that he needs to step up)
“Like I said, I’m going to do me. I’m going to play quarterback like I know how to play quarterback. That’s based off years of practice and getting things from other quarterbacks and learning and what I know, how to lead guys and how to be in a huddle and who needs talking to, who needs to go to the side and talk to them and who does what. Like Nick says, you have to love and respect each other and finding out about each other and it’s about the relationship.”

(On how much his previous starting experience can help him this time around)
“Experience is priceless, especially in this league. There’s not a lot of practice reps to go around, especially during the season. Any time you get real, live reps - it’s priceless. It’s your resume. Your film in this league is your resume. That’s what goes around to everybody. They see what you put on film.”

Rams QB Nick Foles – Post Practice – 11/17/15

(On his reaction to being told Case Keenum will start this week)
“You don’t expect it. It’s just one of those things that...I respect Coach (Jeff) Fisher to start off. Of course I want to be out there, but it’s his decision to make, and I respect it. I love Case to death. He’s one of my favorite people in the world, so I’m going to be right there to support him every step of the way and help him in any way possible.”

(On if it takes some time to digest the news)
“Sure. Your role changes in less than 24 hours. There’s definitely emotions that come with it because you’re used to being out there and working. It’s a different role, but at the same time, I’m a team-first guy. I care a lot about my teammates, so I’m going to do everything I can to prepare this week to help Case and help my teammates get a win this week.”

(On if Fisher characterized the move as ‘a breather’ or a break)
“I don’t characterize it any other way. I just look at it as what it is. The decision was made and I respect Coach Fisher. I’m going to do the best that I can to be the best player on this team that I can and keep working to be better and support Case in any way possible.”

(On what he thinks he has to do to become the starter again)
“It’s not like I’m going to do anything (different). I’m going to keep working. I’ve gone through adversity before. I’ve gone through injuries. I’ve gone through setbacks. They’ve all made me stronger, they’ve all made me a better person. It goes back to...in the grand scheme of things, we’re very fortunate to do the things that we do. There’s a lot worse things that could have happened. I’m going to use this and I’m going to go work and I’m going to keep working. I’m going to keep leading these guys in any way possible. Case is going to do a great job leading them as well, but I’m going to be right there to help him in every way possible.”

Rams RB Todd Gurley – Post-Practice 11-17-15
(On what he has seen on film of Baltimore)
“Just a physical team. From linebackers to the DB’s. Just a great group of guys.”

(On if he feels like he is a marked man on the field)
“No, I wouldn’t say all that.”

(On if it will be special for him to play in Baltimore because he spent part of his childhood there)
“Yeah, man. I grew up a Ravens fan, so it will definitely be. All of my family is there. It will definitely be a good feeling being able to play against a team I grew up rooting for.”

(On if he has had a lot of ticket requests from family members this week)
“StubHub.com – that’s all I have to say. (Laughs)”

(On if he had a favorite Ravens player growing up)
“Ed Reed, of course.”

(On if his favorite Ravens running back was Jamal Lewis)
“Yeah, Jamal. (Willis) McGahee, a little bit when he came up.”

(On if the last few weeks have been an eye-opener since teams are stacking the box)
“No. Like I said, we just go out there and play our game and try to execute – that’s the biggest thing. We haven’t been executing the past couple weeks and it’s kind of shown.”

(On the adjustments that he will have to make because of the quarterback change)
“It’s definitely a change. It kind of just popped up on us, but it’s something that we’ve dealt with in the past whether it’s vets or me, from changing quarterbacks in college. We believe in Case (Keenum). He’s a good quarterback, so we’ll see how that goes.”

(On the changes along the offensive line)
“It’s definitely an adjustment, man. But, like I said, when one guy goes down, another guy has to step up. I’m not saying they have to do the exact same thing, but just go hard. I believe in Cody (Wichmann) and Andrew (Donnal). Those guys have been doing a great job of working hard, since they been here, since they came in. I came in with those guys, so just looking forward.”

(On if there is a process of learning how they block and how he runs)
“No, we have blocking schemes, so we know who should be working up to the Mike or if it’s double or triple or like that. They might have different techniques or such and such like that, but it’s just something I have to get used to.”

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interesting how succinct Gurley is... he strikes me as "all business".

I really like this kid...impressive on the field and, perhaps, even more impressive off the field.

Science has figured out cloning, haven't they? :LOL: