TRANSCRIPTS: Fisher, Cignetti, Foles (9-9-15)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher- Post Practice- 9.9.15

(On if the Thursday off-day is something he’s trying)
“That’ll take place next week. Tomorrow we’re going to do some things, but we’re not going to have a full-speed practice. All of the research is showing us that it might make more sense to take some time off and rest and recover closer to the game as opposed to Monday, Tuesday.”

(On if this is research they did as a team of if it’s league-wide)
“I don’t know what everybody else is doing in the league. This is just an in-house study that we’ve done.”

(On if he named the team captains yet)
“I didn’t name them, they voted for them. (QB) Nick Foles on offense and then I had two really tight races on defense and special teams, so rather than have a re-count or go out and have a run-off, I’ve named two on each side: (P) Johnny Hekker and (LB) Daren Bates on special teams and (LB) James Laurinaitis and (DE) Robert Quinn on defense.”

(On if it’s just the players that vote)
“Just the players, yeah.”

(On if there are things that QB Nick Foles showed that made him a natural fit to be captain or if that’s something that just goes along with being a quarterback)
“Well, not necessarily. It doesn’t always happen that way, but the first day he stepped in the building, that’s his personality. So, he captured everybody’s attention, which is good. When he talks, they listen and they look, they turn to him, so I was really happy for him.”

(On if he’s ready to name a center)
“Yeah, it’s going to be either Tim (Barnes) or Demetrius (Rhaney). One of those two.”

(On the fact that he told the media he would announce the starting center on Wednesday)
”That’s why I brought you closer at practice (laughs). Tim Barnes is staring at center. Demetrius had a great camp, he’s played really well at both positions, but we’re going to go with Tim right now. I’m happy for Tim.”

(On how Barnes has improved in his time in St. Louis)
“Whenever he’s gotten a chance to play, he’s done a good job. Last year he battled through some minor injuries and things, but thus far he’s stayed very healthy, feels good, had a good offseason. He’s very comfortable with Nick (Foles), the two of them are working really well together. I can’t say enough about how far Demetrius has come this offseason and through OTAs and camp, so we know he can play as well. He also gives us the guard flexibility.”

(On if Barnes has gotten stronger)
“He’s gotten stronger, yeah. He’s worked on lower-body strength and quickness.”

(On the versatility of Rhaney is what separated him from Barrett Jones)
“Barrett played well for us, it’s just I think Demetrius has some exceptional quickness, strength. He’s worked hard, very smart. We just couldn’t keep three.”

(On if Seattle is a tough team to prepare for)
“They are. They haven’t done it, and that’s the issue we’re having defensively, is they didn’t do much with (Seahawks TE) Jimmy Graham in the preseason, so we can expect an awful lot from him. They utilized the tight ends quite a bit last year, especially in our games, they made some big plays. Then you add somebody like Jim that’s got great ability and catch radius and run-after-catch. It’s going to be a concern. They know what they’re doing there at the running back position, clearly at the quarterback position. Their offensive line looks like it’s improved. Receivers made a lot of plays. You go back and watch the Super Bowl, big plays that receivers made down field. (QB) Russell (Wilson) is Russell. There’s a reason they were NFC Champs last year. They’re very talented.”

(On if WR Tyler Lockett is a guy that gives the Seahawks something they haven’t had)
“Yeah, he put a couple in the end zone this year, had a couple of long returns. We’re going to have to be solid and sound and place the ball accurately. That’s what they do. They don’t want (WR) Tavon (Austin) to handle the football other than waving his hand and catching it and you almost have to take that same approach with their returner.”

(On what RB Fred Jackson brings to the table)
“He brings great experience and is a very similar runner to (RB) Marshawn (Lynch). (RB Robert) Turbin wasn’t a bad player either. He broke a lot of runs against us and also in the playoffs last year. It just gives them depth. Not that they need it, 24 (Marsahwn Lynch) can play all night long.”

(On if he’ll do anything Saturday or Sunday in terms of season-opening speech)
“There may be a few things that we discuss. The big thing, especially with a young team, as you start the season and an opener against a division opponent with the likes of the Seahawks, is you really almost have to almost calm them down a little bit because emotions can get the best of you early in the game and you can find yourself in a hole. So, just go out there and play and play like you practice. Have a good week in practice and trust that that’s going to be enough.”

(On the challenges the young offensive line will face against the Seahawks defensive line)
“I think they’ll try to create some one-on-one matchups and step up in some gaps and try to confuse us. We have a smart group up front. I wouldn’t have asked ‘JB’ (G Jamon Brown) or allowed JB or (T) Rob (Havenstein) for that matter, we wouldn’t have put them in a position to start if we didn’t think they were going to get the job done and they’re only going to get better.”

(On if he’s optimistic about RB Tre Mason’s chances for this week)
“I’m hopeful. Will probably be a game time decision.”

Rams Offensive Coordinator Frank Cignetti- Post Practice- 9.9.15

(On if he’s going to sleep okay with this being his first NFL game as an offensive coordinator)

“Absolutely. We’ve had great preparation all week - coaches, players. We feel good about the work we’ve put in and the work we’re going to get done.”

(On how QB Nick Foles is doing)
“Nick’s doing great. The offseason, training camp, what he’s done through the preseason, this week, Nick is doing very well. I’m very happy with him.”

(On the Seahawks secondary)
“You talk about a great defense. It starts up front. Their front four does a great job. Linebackers are very active, athletic, good players. The front seven certainly helps the secondary. You talk about a great free safety and corner, you’re talking about an outstanding defense.”

(On if he can name the starting center)
“Coach (Fisher) will be coming up here soon.”

(On what kind of camp C Tim Barnes has had)
“He’s had a good camp. Very pleased.”

(On how much of the offense we can expect to see Sunday in comparison to what we saw in the preseason)
“You’re going to have to wait until Sunday and you’ll see.”

(On how much they were scaled back offensively in the preseason)
“We went into the preseason with thoughts about what we wanted to get done before we even played a game. We looked at it and said, ‘Hey we get four preseason games, what do we want to do in each game?’ from a standpoint of a run plan, a protection plan and a pass game plan.”

(On if we saw a lot of the playbook in the preseason)
“Oh, certainly, you saw a lot of it.”

(On how the offensive line is holding up)
“O-line is doing a great job. Like I’ve said each time here, (Offensive Line Coach) Paul Boudreau and (Assistant Offensive Line Coach) Andy Dickerson have done a great job with these guys. The young guys are making progress every day. Getting (G) Rodger (Saffold) back is outstanding. The o-line is doing a nice job.”

(On why guards Jamon Brown and Rodger Saffold will be able to make the switch)
“Well because one, they’re versatile. They’re smart. They understand the calls for whether it’s the right guard or the left guard. When you look at the training that Coach Boudreau has done with the line up front, they’re able to make the switch.”

(On if it’s harder for a player to absorb on the fly)
“No, not at all because it’s the guard position. Now, it’s just a matter of transferring it from right to left or left to right.”

(On if it will mostly be Benny Cunningham and Isaiah Pead at the running back)
“Time’s going to tell. We’ll see as time goes.”

(On what he’s thought of RB Pead after the serious injury last year)
“I thought Isaiah’s done a really nice job. He did a great job in the offseason with (Director of Sports Medicine and Performance) Reggie (Scott). He’s had a nice camp. Isaiah’s had a nice camp, I’m excited about him.”

(On if the Chiefs game was the best he’s seen Pead run)
“Isaiah did a very nice job. He’s done a nice job out here at practice and we’re proud of him. Very pleased.”

(On T Rob Havenstein)
“Rob is awesome. You talk about a football player, loves football. Smart, tough, what’s there not to love about Rob?”

(On if he’s confident playing the No.1 defense in the league)
“Oh absolutely. You’re talking about a very confident group. I’d say if you polled all 32 teams in the league, every one of them is going to feel pretty good. We’re professionals, we trust our training. When you step on the field, you have got to believe in yourself, believe in your teammates, believe in your training and expect to do great things.”

(On if he would rather be playing the 32nd ranked defense)
“Absolutely not. You play them one at a time. Seattle is up first and we’re fired up.”

Rams QB Nick Foles - Post Practice- 9.9.15

(On being captain of the team)

“It’s a great honor to be a captain of the team. Being voted on by the guys is very humbling. Since I’ve gotten here, they’ve welcomed me with open arms and helped me along. It’s really an honor to be here and play with these guys, so I’m excited about what we have here.”

(On if leadership is number one with him being the quarterback)
“As a quarterback, you have to set the example. We touch the ball every play, so you’ve got to make sure the offense is running smoothly. My big thing is getting to know the guys in the locker room during this time, having fun, getting to know, building those relationships because coming into the game, you’re going to be playing with your brothers. You want to fight for your brothers. It’s important to get to know the guys you’re going to war with. We have a great group of guys here, so I’m excited.”

(On C Tim Barnes)
“Timmy is awesome. He’s a guy that comes to work every day with a smile on his face. He goes out there, he’s an extremely intelligent player. He does a great job of recognizing defenses, getting us into the right things. He really runs the o-line very well. He’s going to do a great job and I’m excited for him.”

(On getting used to being under center after playing in the shotgun so much in Philadelphia)
“I’ve been under center, so I think it’s just making sure… just getting out from under center is the big thing. Getting that first step, getting away from center because you’re closer to the d-line. Being aggressive with those first steps, making sure you get the ball, making sure the center feels you. It’s one of those things, it’s like riding a bike. It comes back. I’ve been under center before, so I’ve had a lot of work throughout OTAs and camp going through it.”

(On Seattle being a big challenge)
“Seattle’s been a tremendous team over the past several years under Coach (Pete) Carroll and their defense has been a big highlight of that. For us to go into this game, we know what kind of defense they are. We have to go out there and execute. We have to know how we’re going to attack them, what we’re going to do. If we do that, we’ll be in a good position. It’s a team game. We’re going to play together - offense, defense, special teams - that’s how we’ll win games.”

(On how amped up he is to play a regular season game for his new team)
“Yeah, I’m excited to be at home. I’m excited to open at home. That’s always exciting. Be in the dome, be ready to go, especially against a team like Seattle. I’m excited to just be out there and playing and get the season started.”

(On if there’s stuff in the playbook they can roll out for the regular season)
“During the preseason you’re installing stuff, you’re going through different things. Once you get into game-planning week, things do change. Obviously you want to win in the preseason, you want to go through that. But, going into the season, now you’re really, really going. These go on your record forever and you just continue to progress. You continue to do the natural progress and get ready to go.”

(On if he thinks the NFC East is more physical than the NFC West)
“I think when you’re playing football it’s going to be a bruising sport. Everybody’s going to be aggressive. It’s just different parts of country you’re playing. All these guys in the NFL are extremely talented players, so it doesn’t matter who you play against on Sunday. They’re going to be talented. So you have to go out there…you have to be ready to execute. You have to prepare with everything you have during the week just to give yourself the best shot to come out on top on game day.”

(On if the excitement level for the young guys is something he monitors)
“I mean everybody’s going to be excited. It’s the opening game, we’re going to be ready to go. It’s just calming those nerves at the beginning of the game, executing the plays. Once the game starts and we start going a little bit, the nerves calm and you’re ready to go. Everybody’s excited to play football. I know the fans are excited for the football season to start, so we’ll be ready to go.”

(On his level of confidence on the young guys up front)
“Oh (G) Jamon (Brown) and (T) Rob (Havenstein) are awesome, just wise beyond their years, mature beyond their years. I know my rookie year… there’s going to be nerves involved. That’s part of it. They’ve gone against a great front seven every single day with what we have and they’re going to be ready to go. Those guys across from them…Seattle has a great defense. It’s going to be a great challenge for them but I have all the confidence in the world in them, and I’m excited to what they go out there and do.”

(On what he thinks are characteristics that make the Seattle defense special)
“I think they do a great job at what they do. They know what they want to do and they do it well. They do a great job rallying to the football. They play aggressive. When you play a team like that, you’ve got to be sharp and you’ve got to execute your game plan. You’ve got to go out and no matter…they’re going to make plays. They’re a great defense. It’s one of those things where we have to continue to make adjustments and keep trucking along.”

(On if he has a pregame ritual or if that falls under the category that he’s not telling the media)
“You answered it.”

(On what gives him confidence in his offense going into Game 1)
“I think it’s just the guys that I play with. I get to step in the huddle each and every day and I just know their mentality. I know that each and every day they want to get better and better. Just how we practice, just how we’re executing, I feel we’re just getting better. That’s what we have to do each and every day. I know (Offensive Coordinator) Coach (Frank) Cignetti’s confident. We are. You’ve got to be confident to go out there and execute and win. It’s going to be a tough game. It’s going to be a tough battle. They’re a great team, so we’re going to be out there and we’re going to be ready to play.”

(On his thoughts about RBs Benny Cunningham and Isaiah Pead)
“Benny’s a guy…he can run. He can run through guys. He can do a bunch of different things. Pead’s back. He’s healthy. He can make guys miss. As you saw last game, he can shed some tackles. He got hit in the back field and was able to make positive out of a negative two-yard run. Both of those guys are really talented players and I’m excited to have Isaiah healthy.”

(On how Seattle’s defense affects his preparation)
“I think it’s just you really have to know the game plan. Know what you’re trying to do and how you want to execute. You always have to be ready for them to just bust something else out. They study their own film. They study their own tendencies. So you have to be prepared. Come game day, you have to react. You have to read and react. You prepare based on film, based on what they’ve been doing. But as a football player, you have to be ready to read and react.”

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Great hearing Cig...I'm pulling for this guy....
Their offensive line looks like it’s improved.
Lie Fish...right to my face...LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE,LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE,LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE,LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE,LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE,LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE,LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE,LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE,LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE,LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE,LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE,LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE,LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE,LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE,LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE,LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE,LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE,LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE,LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE,LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE,LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE,LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE,LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE,LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE,LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE,LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE,LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE,LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE,LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE,LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE,LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE,LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE,LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE,LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE,LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE,LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE,LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE..okay, copy & paste is my friend..LOL
Looking for big things from Foles...new corners..new SS....broken Thomas...go at them...